Guest viewing is limited

TKR Surgery Day

It would be very, very hard if you are still employed full time. I am blessed that I am self employed, and was already on medical 'leave' because of other exciting health issues earlier in the year. It worked out for me.
 
I knew both knees were going to need tkr but one knee wasn't quite "ready." Once I had my really bad knee replaced I was able to be more active. I was in better physical shape (not an athlete or anything) by the time I had my 2nd knee done. Are your knees equally bad?
 
Kneeper yes both my knees are bad I cant decide which is worse, My biggest problem is I can't walk or stand for long periods and no stairs I am nervous about the surgery I want my life back and I don't want to be a burden to my husband.
 
I am nervous about the surgery I want my life back and I don't want to be a burden to my husband.
You will get your life back. I know how small my life had grown before my first knee replacement. Once I had recovered, that replacement did give me back my life.

You will need a little help for a while after each knee replacement, but you won't be a burden to your husband. Sure, he'll have to take on housekeeping and cooking duties for a while, but you won't need much help with mobilizing etc. I know that, if the situation was reversed, you'd gladly do the same for him.
 
Luvcats I had pre op at the Hospital today weight in at 246 despite my efforts to lose weight, I was told that I will have general anesthesia a spinal and a nerve block is this common I confess to being really nervous and scared, I will be in a level one hospital and I have an excellent surgeon but I guess I an just over thinking everything.
 
It's normal to be nervous but I suspect you will do great and like most of us get your life back. There seem to be a lot of different protocols for this surgery. I had general anesthesia and a femoral nerve block administered in the upper thigh area. No spinal. I am 5' 7" and weighed 234 at surgery and had no issues attributed to my weight. My Dr of course advised of risk but didn't seem too concerned. In fact, I was a same day surgery patient so was in at 7 and at home by noon. It all went well. My sister was with me for the first 5 days but after that I managed just fine alone. It's a long process with ups and downs but today 4 months later I'm doing great and hardly think about it during my daily activity. I too am in Tampa but I suspect a different hospital.
 
general anesthesia a spinal and a nerve block is this common
The general is probably just very light anaesthesia to keep you asleep, the heavy work is done by the spinal and nerve block. You will wake up feeling fine - well I did.
I confess to being really nervous and scared,
Hah. I am six foot tall and scared of nothin'.

Oh alright I was absolutely terrified and a gibbering wreck, and it still worked fine. I won't tell you not to worry, but it will soon be over.
 
Careful how awesome we are both in Tampa I am going to Tampa General fyi as you know they are a great hospital and my surgeon is from Florida Orthopedic I got a call yesterday after my pre OP apparently I have a UTI with no symptoms they will call me after they speak with my primary physician to put me on antibiotics now I worry that they will postpone my surgery although she said they would repeat test and if ok we can proceed, I am scared but have come this far and I just want to get it over with.
 
@Basilia65 so sorry you have another worry looming pre-op. But if you can get on the antibiotics right away you should be fine by your surgery date? Are they prescribing something to start today?
 
Unfortunately I have to wait till Monday for script my surgery is 3/3/20 they felt I had time let's see.
 
You will probably have a 7 day prescription. That should be fine. I know this is a worry but I'll bet your surgery goes ahead as planned.
 
Careful how awesome we are both in Tampa I am going to Tampa General fyi as you know they are a great hospital and my surgeon is from Florida Orthopedic
Yes, I concluded Tampa General and yes a great hospital. I used Dr from Florida Medical and was at Advent. Odd about the no symptom UTI as I had one about a year ago and routine urinalysis detected it. Antibiotics and it was gone in 7 days so I'm sure all will be well for 3/3.
 
So question what kind of shoes did you guys use around the house through recovery I usually wear flip flops or go without that's probably not a good idea tennis shoes?
 
I go barefoot all the time, and it feels good to me. But I’m one of those people who prefers unstructured shoes with no support. I did buy some lovely slippers, but it was too much bother unless I was really cold.

The fear and anticipation is normal. Try to see yourself stronger and doing something you like next fall. A lovely stroll after dinner, dancing with a bunch of friends, or just sitting comfortably somewhere with a lovely view. See what you hope your life will be lime with less pain.
 
Helizabug I do look forward to being able to walk the mall go on trips and not always having to find a place to sit and wait for my husband daughter sister etc as they walk around I think what I hate the most is not being able walk without pain or go up and down stairs.
 
You can try different things out as you go. I have not been able to walk in a flip-flop since my early 20's. I require a cushion barrier between my back and the floor, as I work on concrete, so I rarely wear a thin sole - never barefoot.

At home still desiring a barrier, I avoid so-called 'house-shoes'. I need something I can just SLIP my foot into without too much fuss. For sure I needed that right after my TKR.

I fall too easily in those unstructured 'house-shoes' across my wood and carpet, having one leg slightly longer than the other since birth.

So for stability and a barrier I wear those birkenstock 'knock-offs'! The ones with suede insoles and the two straps/ buckles. I find they give me some structure, without being too much, and they're easy-on. I can wear them with socks or without!

I wear 'school teacher' Clarks (brand) shoes mostly during the day at work. An inch and half heel. Rubber sole about a fourth of an inch. Something between me and the concrete!

So question what kind of shoes did you guys use around the house through recovery I usually wear flip flops or go without that's probably not a good idea tennis shoes?
 
Last edited:
I may try the birkenstocks thank you LD
 
@Basilia65 I bought a new pair of slip on, flat shoes to wear after surgery. You won't be able to bend down to tie any shoes just out of surgery. So a long handle show horn and slip on shoes worked for me very well.
 
Well my surgery is next Tuesday Mar 3 I am super nervous, I came up with a UTI when I had my pre op at the hospital and its been a back and forth with my primary he ordered a culture I have no symptoms wondering if this will cancel my surgery, Any thoughts.
 
Back
Top Bottom