Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR Surgery Day

OP
OP
B

Basilia65

Country
United States United States
I am so upset today I went for my pre OP visit with surgeon which was not there I saw his fellow, after having scheduled my surgery gotten cleared by my cardiologist primary care assorted test and pre op at the hospital I saw the fellow for a few minutes he excused himself sent in the office manager and told me that my BMI I weigh 240 was to high that my surgeon would not do my surgery scheduled for March 3 I was totally humiliated, I don't understand why they made go through all that preparation for nothing, the office manager totally understood made appointment for me to speak to the surgeon on Monday which at first I refused but I have decided to go and speak my mind respectfully but nevertheless he shouldn't do this to another patient, I have made all kinds of preparations at work home etc I am truly very upset. Has anyone else experienced this. FYI I have weight the same since he first saw me he did want me to lose weight and I honestly have been trying it it is very hard for me to lose I am a control type 2 diabetic meds don't help but hinder my weight loss and my knees don't allow me to walk excercise I know it sounds like excuses but true nevertheless.

Country
Oh... I'm so sorry to hear that Basilia. Especially as your weight wasn't a factor prioe? I've come to understand that weight is more of an issue for Hip Replacements over TKRs. Yet every surgeon can make the call on when they'll perform a given TKR for many reasons. My surgeon insisted I stop what I thought was a low-cigarette per day habit. Had to quit cold turkey -- nicotine free for six-weeks prior.

I had very precise employment-based plans (including plans to have family assistance) yet my TKR (originally slated for the summer 2019) was also delayed until mid-December due to an unrelated minor, yet needed surgery before my TKR. Initially, I was upset, but pre-op tests for my TKR revealed a surgical issue that needed resolution. Not a sudden change I did not fully expect.

My weight is somewhat high as well. When your knee's hurting you can't exercise. I went from being somewhat active at gym a year prior to TKR to rarely able to do much beyond a little peddling. I've lost some weight after surgery and in the process of changing eating habits (cutting my beloved carbs). Yes, for certain ask you surgeon why the sudden change?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Basilia65

Country
LD of Michigan I felt so humiliated by all of this why not tell me lose 20lb and then will talk instead he made me go through everything and then boom, yes he will hear my opinion on Monday hopefully he will not do this to other patients. Now the question is should i look for a second opinion or contiune with him who is excellent according to all hi previous patients. I fell horrible :console2::sad:

Country
Wrap-around ))HUGS(( :kittykiss: to you. No surgeon's perfect 100% of the time in all areas of interaction.

I would look at and judge his surgical expertise first! Doctors can be reviewed easily at: www.healthgrades.com. HG is a professional, medical review site that many major hospitals here in the US recommend patients to post their follow-up reviews to, and use to choose doctors.

Talk to him. My surgeon and I discussed my recovery options. I made my concerns known. Informing of the options I preferred. He concurred. Surgery went great. Communication good.

If you do FIND the conversation is met with anger, disinterest etc. you may want to move on as such poor communication may present again should you have a problem or future concern(s).

A positive of this is that you'll be even MORE prepared for the surgery later. I was. And it seems you can never be prepared enough IMO.

Last edited:

caredFL

Country
That is crazy to me that he had you go thru all the pre-op. I would have thought if he required you to lose those 20lb he would not have scheduled the surgery until the requirement was met. So sorry I can only imagine the frustration.

OP
OP
B

Basilia65

Country
Careful not just frustration but how humiliated and embarrassed did I feel you have no idea, yes he is a great Doctor but my experience with him and Florida Orthopedic has been awful, thinking about it he has actually never set down and talked to me it's always his PA and this last time his fellow, supposedly I will actually speak with him on Monday his office manager who is also overweight wants me to Express my feelings I believe she agrees with me about how this was handled.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hang tough on this @Basilia65 ! To get this far only to be told your surgery will not happen is totally unacceptable! If your weight was an issue you should have been informed far earlier in this process. I would strongly argue that you have all the clearances and have put in the time to get what was needed. I'll bet this fellow was having a bad day and decided to take it out on you. Just not right!

OP
OP
B

Basilia65

Country
Jaycey I am now feeling very apprehensive and on Monday when I see the surgeon and if he says lets do it I don't if I can this has been awful, I was scared to begin with about my weight, although I have seen plenty of my patients that are heavier then I am and they do just fine.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I doubt the surgeon had an issue with your weight. More like his support staff. But they should be held to account. Facing surgery is tough enough. But jumping through all those "hoops" only to be told it's not going to happen is just cruel. Your surgeon needs to get control of his staff. Please don't be afraid to tell him that.

OP
OP
B

Basilia65

Country
Jaycey I will post the outcome of my visit Monday lets see what happens thank you for your support Bonesmart is the best.

Miggie

Country
I can't believe they did this to you! Your weight was known to them from the very beginning. Your doc needs to hear this all from you, I'm so sorry they made you feel like this. I'm having my first knee done 3/31, had a THR in 2017. I am overweight, too. My surgeon suggested me to try to lose some weight, but that didn't happen and surgery went fine. Try to have a pleasant weekend. Hugs!

OP
OP
B

Basilia65

Country
Well my visit Monday did not happen I spoke to the office manager to cancel I had a work emergency therefore she said she would discuss my situation and because I do want this doc to do my surgery, I have decided to try very hard and lose the 20lb and rescheduled my surgery to June 23 lets see if I can do it, Jane the office manager has assured me that she would discuss this policy with him and try to change it lets see if it happens. :fingersx:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Decadeofbliss
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom