Surgery Date Aug. 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poppet... That's the first I have heard of those injections. My surgeon didn't mention those. Is that something most Dr.s have their patients do or just in specific cases?
 
Yes, I saw the 3rd and last surgeon I wanted to consult with on May 9th but then had to get a Primary and have tests for medical clearance. That took another 4-1/2 weeks. Last Friday I called the surgeon's scheduler to see if they had received the fax. She said no and asked me for the Doctors name and phone number then. The primary's staff has done nothing (well, except for lying to me) and the scheduler now has not even returned my phone call of 11AM today and it is 5:00 now so I doubt anyone will call. I am ready to just start over with all new doctors both Primary and Surgeon. Maybe now go with the good local guy who does the 200+/year anterior approach!
 
didoan.... That's terrible that you are getting such a run around!! Ridiculous. And now it's a weekend so here you are left waiting til Monday ! They don't realize I'm sure how stressful all of this is!
As for the shots, my mom had a hip replacement two years ago and one 10 yrs ago. She didn't shots the first time or this last time. I've never heard of it. I wonder if it depends on the Dr.?
 
sandpiper When is your surgery scheduled by the way? Don't be embarassed about being in a panic, it's normal! Just about everyone is afraid and worried, some of us more than others. You can try some relaxation and meditation tapes, or download them from i-tunes or the i-net. They can be very helpful. A nice hot bath, a massage, some deep breathing exercises, positive imagery can all be beneficial, too, to help you relax. And have you thought about asking your primary MD to prescribe you a very mild tranquilizer for the next month, or so, to help you get through this pre-op panic you're having? There are small doses of very mild meds that could really cut the anxiety down a lot. Nothing wrong with that. Whatever helps you get through this very stressful period would be good.
Just some thoughts... It's a shame to have you suffer with so much anxiety if it can be lessend at all! It's a lot to take in and process. And being single makes it even harder for you, plus the loss of your Mother-in-Law probably makes you feel a little bit bereft and alone.
Have you started your own thread yet? I think it might be easier to keep track of your story with your own post and your own title. I was wondering if you were Jojool...got a little confused, sorry!
Good luck, sandpiper. Keep venting here, we'll do our best to help you out with whatever's on your mind! :console2:
 
sandpiper didoan Oh yes, my hip was a very good quiet scared little hip for about 6 days before surgery. Except when I bashed into the dishwasher then the air was blue!... But I'd had plenty of pain and immobility, I knew it was time. I was the one who asked for the replacement, so I knew it was what I wanted. Probably I'm certifiable in the other direction!

The injections (as the article says) are a blood thinner. Some have them, others have aspirin or Xarelto, both pills. Yet others, I think, have only the stockings. The main thing is clot prevention, by whatever means the OS is comfortable with. So yes, it depends on the doctor.

Did you need medical clearance prior to getting put on the surgeons list?
I have a heart condition, and was required to get clearance from my cardiologist at least one month prior to surgery, but they put me on the list the day I first saw the OS, and got scheduled about a week later.

didoan, you are having the royal runaround, what a mess! I have learned that faxes are the least reliable form of communication in the medical world! One of my doctors will practically hand deliver something to get out of having to fax it....
 
Poppet are the injections required by all surgeons? Is it a standard practice to have to do these after all THR surgery?
 
Hi Jojool, every surgeon has his/her own protocol regarding the type of blood thinning (anticoagulant) medication for various periods of time post surgery. Your surgeon may prescribe an injected or oral blood thinner after surgery. Depending on how soon you walk, how active you are and your overall risk of blood clots, you may need blood thinners for several more weeks after surgery.

Are you concerned about the injections?
 
ByGosh. Thank you for the great advice! I used to get a deep tissue therapeutic massage every other week as part of maintenance for back problems. 2 hr. massage each time! Full body and ended with 30 minutes of reflexology! It did wonders but I have been advised not to do it til after surgery and I'm all healed. I will download some relaxation music onto my i phone. Is it safe to take a mild anti anxiety drug with pain meds!
 
I was told about the stockings at my pre-op blood work. The nurse measured my legs for size of stockings. She said they were to prevent blood clots. She never mentioned injections so I don't believe I will be using them since the nurse was pretty thorough about post-op procedures.
 
Jojool. I found the best picture for you but can't figure out how to attach it here! Does anyone know? I uploaded the file on the link below but it just pops up as a link that wont open. I even tried copying and pasting the pic! If anyone knows how to do it let me know!
 
sandpiper Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Have been out this evening, which was tiring but fun. From what you said about the MRI I think your diagnosis is pretty clear. I was sorry to read about your losing your mother-in-law. It's wonderful you had a friendship that lasted, but awful for you to have lost her so recently. You are having to be brave about all sorts of things.
I didn't have injections, though I did have those annoying stockings. Hint: rub baby powder on your legs if you have trouble putting them on. My doctor said that what they do to prevent blood clots depends on your risk for them. I just had aspirin twice a day. Some of his patients take Coumadin. They decided on this at the pre-op check up.
If you are looking for presurgical relaxation tapes look for Peggy Huddleston or Belleruth Naperstek. I used both of them. @ByGosh's suggestion of a mild anti-anxiety drug is a great idea. I wish I had thought of that before surgery.
 
ByGosh Thanks for your reply! I know that everything you said is true! It's just so hard to grasp! I feel very overwhelmed. I have such anxiety at times and all I do these days is think about the upcoming surgery. In that respect I can't wait til it's behind me!! I am so scared! It feels good to be able to even say that on here. At home I try hard not to worry my kids by telling them I'm terrified! I'm divorced so no one to help me through this. My mom has been great but it's not the same as having a spouse. This site has been a Godsend to me. Only place I can be honest without upsetting anyone!! :bow:
@Sanpiper let it all out dear fellow hip sufferer and sending cyber hugs from the UK. I found out yesterday that I will be having a new hip in August. I'm terrified as well and full of mixed emotions but take comfort in the wonderful stories of success on here. Just think, in a few weeks time you will be pain free :kittykiss: I've got a while yet to go before mine and a few weeks to get myself worked up in a tizz :) x
 
And silly me quoted the wrong quote but I think you get my drift :)
 
LeeApril26 I am so happy to hear that not even two months post-op you were out having fun! That's great!!! I'll be sure to try the relaxation tapes! God knows I could use something! My mother-in-law had a reverse shoulder replacement about 6 months prior to her death. She actually did well after that surgery. Unfortunately she had Marfan's syndrome and died of an aortic dissection. She passed April 17th, my father-in-law passed a yr and a half ago and my dad died 3 and half yrs ago. Been a rough few years. What is it they say???? "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger". Must be true!!
So what did you do for fun those evening ? I see you live in NY. Lots of fun things to do in NY!!
 
sandpiper I think your allowed to be a basket case, it's not like having a tooth out :) I may take you up on the help when it's my time and no doubt will be driving everyone bonkers on here x
 
Red Shoe. Ha! Well I no doubt have driven a few bonkers on here!
Are you in much pain? Is it OA that you have? I was surprised to see how many of us are in our 50's I'm 56. I see you are 55. I always thought only people in their 70's needed hip replacements.
 
sandpiper. Went to a Broadway play that was wonderful climbing over people in the theater district not so much. I've ranted about this on my thread so don't want to do it some more. The night out was terrific and I iced when I got home.

You have had a lot of losses, and now surgery. Lots of stressors. Rest and find the relaxation and surgery downloads. They really help.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom