Guest viewing is limited

Surgery Date Aug. 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jojool, I just talked to my OS (last week) about anesthesia. He said that 90% of his patients opt for spinal with sedation, rather than general anesthesia, and that's what I'm going to do, too. The "sedation" is propofol, which puts you into a sort-acting sleep, so you shouldn't know what is happening. But you come out of it much more alert than you would with general anesthesia, and it is less dangerous. I've had propofol twice (10 years apart) for colonoscopies, and it works very well. The first time, I thought I was waiting for the procedure, and I was cold, and said to a nurse, "will I be going in soon?" She told me I'd already had the procedure and was in the recovery room!
 
Hi all! Im still set for july 1 but not sure if I should cancel and try to get another opinion. I've had two opinions, one from GP who then referred me to the ortho guy. Both say the hip is destroyed. I don't know what to do. Thanks to all who have given me great advice til this point! I read about the anesthesia but I am confused. I thought an epidural was a spinal
 
Jojool.... So happy you have a date!! I know exactly what you are going thru!! Are you having posterior or anterior. What type are they using? My guy is posterior but says he is not cutting the muscle and uses ceramic on plastic
 
sandpiper. Perhaps you should tag Josephine, the Bone Smart medical advisor/nurse to ask your medical questions. If you have had X-rays, and both doctors have read them and said your hip is destroyed, then you will need the surgery if you don't want a compromised, painful life. But, if you are not confident in the surgeon's experience and skill, find another one.
 
LeeApril....... just spoke to two women who work at the surgeon's office. Both had relatives use my guy and both raved about him. I guess that's a good sign. My GP also said he would not have referred me to himunless he felt good about it. He said he wanted to sure I went to a Dr. with a brain! Ha! I guess I should go for it. I think I'm just having pre-surgery jitters????
 
If I want to tag Sharon and Josephine do I type their names in the box like I did here and just add the @ sign before their names?
 
sandpiper To tag, type the @sign and the name with no space. You will see a box on the lower left, and the name will pop up.Click on it. Once you post the name will be in blue type.

Pre-surgery jitters are very normal. Other than for childbirth I had never been hospitalized before. I was terrified, even considered writing good bye letters to my spouse and kids to leave in my drawer just in case. Luckily I got past that drama, but it was scary. Totally normal (well maybe not the letters.) This is the most successful surgery going, so you have every reason to believe it will be fine. If you trust your GP, and he trusts the surgeon, it sounds pretty good. But do check in with Sharon and Josephine about your medical questions. The more you know the better you will feel.
 
I had the spinal method - and I highly recommend it. I too was quite scared, and didn't want to hear them working on me - fact is that the sedative they gave me was enough for me to drift off into sleep. I even had a wonderful dream - and woke up - seemed like it only took 5 minutes. They put in the spinal while I was sitting up. I was very nervous, but the anaestologists were fantastic - they had me lay down quick, as the medicine works in seconds. You feel your legs start to get very warm and comfortable and of course you can't feel them. They added an additional medicine at the end which lasted the first 24 hours - boy was it wonderful to wake up happy, in no pain - not feeling a thing and still being alert enough to know what was going on. I was up walking the first night. Oh, when the pain kicked in the next day - I was extra happy that I didn't need to experience it the first night. With each day the pain was less and less - and I'm talking surgical pain only. My hip pain is 100% gone. I had a limp for the first 4 weeks or so - still have a slight one, but as you do physio and get stronger it gets better. Oh, and when you don't have a general, you don't need the breathing tube or catheter - at least I didn't. There were people who had general - and they were in the hospital a day longer and were very sick in the first day and didn't get up walking until day 2-3.
 
Thanks for all the info, I will certainly ask my surgeon about an epidural! Sounds like that is the way to go. As long as I sleep through it, I don't care...and the recovery from the epidural seems much easier.

When you say you had 'surgery pain' what does that mean? On a scale of 1-10, what would you say the surgery pain is? I'd use the scale to say that my hip pain ranges from a 5 to an 8, depending on the day.
 
Just a tip, if you want to "tag" someone in response to their messages to you just type in the @ sign immediately followed by their user name and you'll see a small box below and to the left of the posting area where the members user name will display. Sometimes there might be a very slight pause, but the member user name will appear.

it will show their correct name which you can click on -- then when you submit your post the member's user name/link will turn blue and send a message to them person, like this

Poppet
 
LeeApril26 and BionicWoman2.... Thanks so much! I feel 100% better after reading your posts! I went for pre-op blood work, pee in a cup and chest c-ray because I have been a smoker. It was an all day event. All in all they said I'm in excellent health. Just the chest x-ray I worry about since I've smoked for years. Just quit a few months ago. Why is it when I was young I thought I was invincible, now I worry about everything???

Thanks for being with me you guys! What would I do without you???
 
Jojool... I'm a bit ahead of you.July 1st. I'm having the spinal and I too am afraid of " hearing" anything!! The anesthesiologist told me today at my pre-op that I'd be out of it and never remember a thing. He said I'd feel no pain and if I did wake up they'd pump me up but even if I did wake I would feel no pain at all! It made me feel much better! I think I'm going to be very surprised at how easy it is compared to what I've been so worried about. I'll be around afterwards. Look for me on the other side!

My mom went with me today and asked the nurse if I could have a drink. The nurse said to ho for it so.... I did! Treated myself to the first martini in months! It was great! Worked better than my percocets!! Maybe I could get that on my IV instead??? Lol
 
My mom went with me today and asked the nurse if I could have a drink. The nurse said to ho for it so.... I did! Treated myself to the first martini in months! It was great! Worked better than my percocets!! Maybe I could get that on my IV instead??? Lol[/quote]



WAIT!! The nurse said....."go" for it!!! Not "ho"!!!! Lol geezzzzz
What kinda typos will I make AFTER surgery while under the influence of drugs??!!! Just warning everyone now... Take mo offense to anything I type!!! Lol
 
sandpiper, don't worry, we have read it all from past members, writing from hospital.. It was a hilarious period with the members at the time of my surgery.. Very quick responses... Much frivolity !

Pleased you enjoyed your first martini in a long time.. Enjoy while you can, it will be a 'no, no' post surgery for a while :)
 
Poppet...it's ok. The one Martini was enough for a while. As long as they keep the happy juice flowing during surgery I'll be fine! I plan to remind them that I want to sleep....sleep....sleep!
 
sandpiper The martini sounds good. I am finally off of pain pills. Had champagne the other night and pinot grigio tonight-wild woman, that's me.

Jojool I did not have surgery pain. They managed it very well in the hospital and with percocet for the first few weeks. Had tylenol and ibuprofen for another couple of weeks, now taking nothing. The leg felt heavy to move around, especially in and out of bed, with some swelling, but maybe a 1-2 in discomfort, not active OW! pain.
 
LeeApril....yeah for you!!! Two of my favorite drinks!!! You give me hope! ;-)
 
Jojool I'm sorry it took me so long to get here! You asked me, several days ago, when my surgeon discussed anaesthesia options with me. I don't believe he ever did, but I didn't ask him either. As I recall it, I asked his nurse later, and she told me he prefers general. That was repeated in joint class, but I was told later my chart said "choice", so if I wanted spinal I could have it. I really figured I ought to go with what he liked, so I heaved a huge sigh and told them I was going to be very very sick after. They gave me two drugs, neither of which worked, I asked for fenergan (sp??) and that finally worked, but I got up close and personal with the cutest little barf sock you can imagine for several hours. 1,000,000% improvement on the old basin.
I had a walker at first, and was very grateful for it. Balance, support, keep people away from you, carry your belongings-- good stuff. I used it for a week, I think, and then tried the cane, and immediately went to nothing on a trial basis. I kept the walker at night for almost 3 weeks, I think. Properly equipped, it can carry enormous amounts of stuff to and fro for you LOL. I used the cane indoors to beat people with preemptively, and still take it outside for protection and possible emergency use.
Sure the surgical hip is painful, but I would say that at no time did my pain go over a 4.5 (four and a half). Most of the time, unless I was challenging the hip, it was very quiet at 0.5-2. Now, mostly, it's just stiff. Everybody's perception of pain is different-- the only time I hit an 8 pre-op was when I rammed into the dishwasher and had to stop everything for a minute. Otherwise, 1-5 depending on what I was doing or not doing. So we come from different experiences.
My leg doesn't feel different where it counts-- the new part works seamlessly and elegantly and I can't feel it AT ALL. But the whole leg feels like somebody messed around with it, not surprising. Actually, given what I've heard they do, I'm surprised I can walk at all! There's the swelling and the internal stuff I don't have a name for, and the stiffness, but that's not IN the joint precisely. I am very stiff in the muscles from holding my leg so I don't rotate it, I can't wait to just let it go and move on its own. Walking feels very good, and actually felt beneficial from the first walk to the bathroom.
Um, were you asking about catheter? I must have had one, to process all that IV fluid, but it was gone when I woke up. Fortunately, I didn't have to pee for several hours, which is totally unlike me!
I did bring oooey gooey brownies!!!! ~~~~~smell soooooo good!~~~~ Help yourself, it's a gigantic batch :)
What kinda typos will I make AFTER surgery while under the influence of drugs??!!! Just warning everyone now... Take mo offense to anything I type!!! Lol
hahahahaha sandpiper go to the first page of my recovery thread and see what a mess i made of things on a borrowed tablet that didn't let me see what I was typing-- not even the word I had just finished! I read back the other day and laughed myself silly. It felt good :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom