Surgery Date Aug. 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
sandpiper, I said to my anesthesiologist, I don't want to hear anything, smell anything or see anything.. Hahaha.. You will be so pleasantly surprised. The lead up to surgery is the worse part of the whole experience. Oh, there are frustrations during recovery, but it is just time and patience our bodies heal, we adapt, we learn, we live.. all good :)
 
Hi sandpiper It sounds like you're moving along with your pre-surgery preparations and anesthesia decisions. The spinal with sedation worked perfectly for me. Couldn't even feel the spinal, they gave me something to help me relax beforehand, and then I was out until the recovery room. The post-op pain was manageable in the hospital with IV patient controlled med, but pills work well, too, if you keep on top of the pain and take them before it hits. At home you're good as long as you stay on a pain med schedule and not wait until you are in pain before you medicate. That seems to work best for most THRs. The ice and elevation and rest is really important and really helps you feel a lot better.
Having your surgery sooner rather than later is a good idea. The longer you wait, the more painful it becomes, the less you move, and the less you use your muscles. It's best to get it over with and get on with a life that's much better without that pain to hinder you.
Keep posting and asking questions. Everyone here is kind and friendly, understanding and helpful. We've all been where you are now, so we know how you feel. And we're glad to do whatever we can to make it easier for you. Take care and I'm glad that you found BoneSmart!
 
ByGosh Thanks for your reply! I know that everything you said is true! It's just so hard to grasp! I feel very overwhelmed. I have such anxiety at times and all I do these days is think about the upcoming surgery. In that respect I can't wait til it's behind me!! I am so scared! It feels good to be able to even say that on here. At home I try hard not to worry my kids by telling them I'm terrified! I'm divorced so no one to help me through this. My mom has been great but it's not the same as having a spouse. This site has been a Godsend to me. Only place I can be honest without upsetting anyone!! :bow:
 
Poppet I know what you mean about the lead up to surgery. Any advice on stress relief? I'm maxed out!! :sos: :sos:
 
sandpiper BS has been really helpful in managing my anxiety both before and after surgery. When I can't sleep (often) there is always someone online, and helping new people also helps me. Be in touch anytime.
 
LeeApril26 tx!! Been a rough day. Tomorrow will be better I'm sure. Cried today. Haven't done that yet. Not sure why other than I just don't want to do this. Lol too much to worry about! On the other hand I thank God this is something fixable. I know I am actually lucky in that sense. Now I just have to stop my brain from thinking so much!!! Lol
 
sandpiper Stopping my brain from "catastrophizing" has always been a problem for me. A friend just suggested I read a book named "Full Catastrophe Living." She probably knows me too well. I am going to look for it soon. Crying is not so bad if it released some of the fear. I am at eight weeks today, and I am so thankful that I went ahead with the operation. Chronic pain changes who you are, and it is such a relief to be free of it. There are post surgical aches and pains, but nothing at all like bone and bone pain. Keep telling yourself that you will awaken and the pain will be gone.
Probably the most helpful thing that I have ever heard about (not so helpful for my cousin) happened at my cousin's suburban home. He had just gotten up from his couch when an out of control car driven by a drunken teen jumped the sidewalk and through his living room window, landing on his couch. It taught me that even if you hide in your house bad stuff can happen, so it made me less apprehensive instead of more. Not sure why, and this may not be at all helpful. But, this surgery has good outcomes, and if you are in pain your life will get progressively worse. So be brave for your kids but ask for help here.
 
LeeApril26 Thank you for putting up with me panic attacks! Weird thing is that the last couple of days I have been feeling really good. Haven't taken pain meds in two days. I've been walking and sitting...all the things that hurt so bad before. I do have the weird movement in the hip when I walk. It crunches and I can feel the whole joint shift.
but for some reason it hasn't actually hurt the last couple of days so now of course I'm asking myself....if it really is as bad as they say??? Maybe they looked at someone else's MRI?? I worry about that because an MRI of my hip last August showed the hip was ok. Now it's severe arthritis. I did have an injury tho and heard that can cause arthritis to set in quickly. I even read that online. Also the X-ray report came back first and said severe arthritis. Then the MRI said the same and they weren't done at the same facility or on the same day. Guess it would be a bit unlikely that both reports were incorrect or switched...huh??? LOL I"M IN DENIAL!!! ha! My biggest fear I believe is that I'll do this and I didn't really need to. LOL OK....am I totally nuts or did you or anyone else go thru these same crazy thoughts??? I believe I'm truly making myself certifiable!! :hairpulling:
 
sandpiper. Everyone goes through this, and some people do have temporary relief, some right before surgery. I didn't so I had no opportunity to deny that I was a mess. Have you looked at the X-rays with your doctor? Do you have a copy of them or the MRI? Once they show it to you it is very hard to deny. If you have a copy of the X-ray and are tech savvy, you can post it and show it to Jospehine. but, it is unlikely to be a misdiagnosis, unfortunately. Depending on your level of activity and arthritic joint can deteriorate very quickly. I kept doing PT in the hopes that I could avoid the surgery. Got so bad I could hardly get off of the couch. I can totally understand your reluctance, but with OA the pain will be back.
 
Hi sandpiper, Yes, you are certifiable. No! Just kidding but this could all make you that way! My good hip makes a thunking sound when I walk and I call feel sort of moving/popping in & out of the socket sensation. did I tell you this before? If I did I apologize. I seem to be different than other people as well in that I do pretty good in the morning and then it gets worse as the day progresses. I never have a constant pain and I can sleep just fine for the most part (with 10 mg. of Ambien, tho!) My problem is the excruciating pain I feel when I seem to move the wrong way by even a millimeter and I never know what the wrong way is! Three surgeons have said I am 'bone on bone' and the last described my hip as a 9-10 in severity so I believe them when they say I need a new hip and I so badly want to be able to hike or even just walk on the boardwalk or up the hills here with my dogs.

Try to relax, I have good days and bad days too and they can fool you. I never had a toothache anymore when it was time for my dentist's appt either!
 
didoan LeeApril26...........You know LeeApril... I have my MRI disk but it doesn't open in my pc. However, I took it to the surgeon and he called me into the room while he had the pics up on his monitor. I could see it. The entire area was all white vs. a healthy hip that he showed me in comparison. He also took x-rays of his own for the purpose of making both sides even...??? lol (even is good! Ha!) If there had been a discrepancy I am sure I'd have heard. Also the written reports from the x-rays and MRI's were sent to the GP as well. Both showing severe advanced arthritis. So.........didoan...I fear you are right. I am just certifiable.LOL Also, what you said about your toothache going away as soon as you get to the dentist may apply here! LOL The mind is a powerful thing. Once again...I thank you guys for not writing me off and sticking with me through this panic phase. I know once on the other side I'll be happy I did this. I'm glad to at least hear others go through the doubting stage sometimes. didoan........are you scheduled for surgery yet??
 
sandpiper... Got your SOS.. :) just took a little while to get across the other side of the world :)

This pre surgery time is really tough! and our minds play many tricks on us..(and our bodies).

One day the pain can be excruciating and pain meds here we come, and our minds say bring on the surgery... Then, suddenly the pain disappears and we think.. Why am I even considering this surgery, I feel fine now!

Here's the thing... When your x-rays and MRI show severe OA and you are bone on bone.. Nothing, nada, is going to fix that joint except a replacement.

We need to help you fix your mind on the benefits of the surgery and what a great outcome you are going to have :)

You won't be sitting on the sidelines of life, watching everyone else having fun, feeling down... Once recovered, you will be living again, participating in all of life's activities that you personally enjoyed before Mr Arthur Ritis came along..

Stick with us babe, we are going to get you to the line, across the line and then in the victory lane.. with no bone on bone pain :)
 
Poppet...thank you!!! I started a post and seem to have lost it. In case it's here somewhere I won't bore everyone all over again, I'll just recap briefly...I also just lost my mother-in-law April 17th and am really feeling the loss. She was my best friend as well (even tho her son and I are divorced! Ha!) so.......(not that that is an excuse for my craziness right now!!) I think I'm just totally overwhelmed! Thanks for your encouraging words!! :thankyou:
 
Can anyone tell me what the injections are, what they are for? I notice some people mentioning them, others don't. ??? :yes!:
 
didoan........are you scheduled for surgery yet??
No, things arent moving along as they should. I am right now looking on vitals.com for a Primary doctor whose staff does their jiobs! I may have to start over again.
Did you need medical clearance prior to getting put on the surgeons list? I wonder how long it will take to get a surgery appt once someone finally breaks down and sends my clearance to the surgeon.
 
Poppet...thank you!!! I started a post and seem to have lost it. In case it's here somewhere I won't bore everyone all over again, I'll just recap briefly...I also just lost my mother-in-law April 17th and am really feeling the loss. She was my best friend as well (even tho her son and I are divorced! Ha!) so.......(not that that is an excuse for my craziness right now!!) I think I'm just totally overwhelmed! Thanks for your encouraging words!! :thankyou:

Yes, you have a lot of things going on in your head right now and the loss of a good friend like your MIL would leave a sense of emptiness..

Stick with us kiddo, we are going to be your best new friends for how ever long you want to hang around with us crazies :)
 
didoan. I got put on the list for surgery the day I met with the surgeon. I got a date for 2 1/2 weeks later! At that appt. they gave me a form to take to the regular Dr.to fill out. Pretty general stuff. Yesterday I went for pre-op blood work. It all went pretty quickly. So frustrating when people don't get right on top of things. Did you choose a surgeon?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom