Guest viewing is limited

Surgery Date Aug. 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jojool I'm so sorry you're hurting....wish I could take some of it for you. Maybe a little sunshine would help the mood, at any rate? Did you end up out in the HOT sun? Yikes!! 105? Is that normal for this time of year??
@zauberflote. You go girl!!! What are you going to see? I'm envious! You are an inspiration my friend! Let us know how you make out! Maybe a little cocktail afterwards and some hot sex?! Ok.. ok... maybe that would be pushing it a bit. Lol
haha it was my, hubby, and our younger son. No martoonies, (we got too old LOL) or anything hot except showers. We saw Star Trek Into Darkness, for review see Cyber Movie Group in the Social Room (a right-hand tab along the top-ish portion of the page here) It was wonderful fun, I think I'd like to see it again.
 
zauberflöte. So funny that you call them "Matoonies" thats what my mother-in-law called them! And just FYI.... One is NEVER too old for Martoonies! Ha!

How did you hold up sitting in the movie theatre so long? Were you ok?
 
sandpiper "tee many martoonies", you never heard that?:rotfl:
I was fine int he theater-- percocet is a marvelous drug. Check out my review in the Cyber Movie Group in the Social Room :)
 
zauberflöte. Thats a great group! I checked it out! I'll have to pop in after my surgery since I bet I'll be watching lots of movies! One week from tomorrow at 9:45 am is my showtime. Do you think I'll be up for watching The Bachelorette that night? It's on Monday nights and has become sort of a tradition for me and my daughter. We watch it weekly.
 
zauberflöte yes, 105* is normal for this time of year here. However, we are headed to 115* by the end of this week, which is horribly hot and NOT fun. I did get out and in the sun yesterday, in our friend's pool...which was really nice and somewhat pain free for a while. Unfortunately, I had to get out of the pool at some point and it hurt like he&& to get out. Oh well, at least I got some fun in the sun. I'm paying for it today however. :sad:
 
Jojool I'm sorry you have to pay for it, and I'm glad you did get the chance. Lounging around in the pool, nice little break from daily life :) We're up in the 90's this week, normal for now, sticky out, a/c running to keep the house dry inside LOL
 
BionicWoman2... How are you doing these days? Is the picture of you after your surgery? You look great!
Hi Sandpiper - thanks for the comment - yes it was - I just updated my pic with a more active one. I'm getting ready to go back to work :( lol. Really there is no reason I can't - I feel terrific.
 
Thanks for all the info, I will certainly ask my surgeon about an epidural! Sounds like that is the way to go. As long as I sleep through it, I don't care...and the recovery from the epidural seems much easier.

When you say you had 'surgery pain' what does that mean? On a scale of 1-10, what would you say the surgery pain is? I'd use the scale to say that my hip pain ranges from a 5 to an 8, depending on the day.

Sorry for being vague ;). By 'surgery pain', I mean the pain from the incision and muscles that were pulled and moved about during the surgery. It is different from the deep and agonizing bone pain. Possibly because you know why it hurts and that it will get better - where the bone pain is something that is constant, agonizing and unknown. At any rate, I had hip pain between 6-7 consistently; occasionally in the 8-10 range; and rarely I would experience a 5. After surgery, I'd say day 2 was the worst day; as were weeks 1-3. I'd rate the pain at a 6, but different, and controlled very nicely by the narcotics. You just need to keep on top of your meds. If you leave too much of a gap, you may experience greater pain than necessary. I experienced a lot of stiffness and swelling in the first 2 weeks - but I was able to do gentle physio and as long as you elevate and ice regularly and try not to over-do it - everything goes back to normal. I am now climbing stairs, able to lay on my operated side on soft surface, lifting 10 lbs of weight with my leg, bridging steadily, walking, swimming, and biking. My right leg is much weaker than my left - which I had surgery on just 3 months ago. I know I have a lot of healing to go through, as I still have a bit of soreness (expected and don't take any meds for it) - and I will do my right hip once I know my left leg can be my main support.
 
Okay guys, I know it's been discussed before but I'm going to ask again. What type/size of ice packs should I be looking for? I found some on Amazon, I think one size was 11X14, is that big enough? There are some oversized ones but I don't know if that's a waste. I know I can make my own, but kinda just want to buy some to have on hand. Thanks for any info!!!!
 
Jojool I bought a bunch, but the ones I like best I made using the BS recipe, in doubled ziplock bags, mixing rubbing alcohol and water. I forget the exact proportions-1 part alcohol and 4 parts water? It freezes beautifully, and is flexible, and it stays very cold even when it defrosts. And, it's cheap. I made big baggies and small ones.
 
Jojool I am so sorry about your pain! You will be amazed when you have your surgery! What a relief.

Have any of you heard/used products from broken link removed: https://www.gameday.com ? A friend who had hip resurfacing recommended it. I thing it is a rental thing to ice body parts. He highly recommended it. I am going to check into it.
 
Okay guys, I know it's been discussed before but I'm going to ask again. What type/size of ice packs should I be looking for? I found some on Amazon, I think one size was 11X1
Jojool that's the size I bought. It's industrial strength, you can sit on it, it's extremely cold for some hours (I keep my freezer around 0 degrees), and it sweats like a horse! I kept it wrapped up in a sweatshirt so it wouldn't give ME freezer burn, and by the end of the night the sweatshirt was wet and the bed was damp. That was a drawback i was willing to live with. However, as feeling returned to my leg, I found this particular ice pack painfully heavy on my hip if I was lying on my non-op side with it draped over me (i had anterior, I lay on my side as soon as I got home). So I took it out of the rotation for several weeks. My next favorite is my homemade one, LeeApril26 is right, 1 part rubbing alcohol to 4 parts water, double Ziploc brand FREEZER bags. I take this one out with me, in a tote bag that happens to be exactly the same size as a gallon Ziploc bag-- it stays cold even longer than the big black one, all the way beyond being totally melted it stays cold. It sweats too. The smaller refreezable ones from the pharmacy are also very high up on the list, as they are perfect when you just want something small (to cover an anterior incision, say). hey don't sweat quite so much. I think it's hit and miss-- one person prefers one thing, another person swears by something different! And there is a time and place for each different 'tool".

Shadow09 Is that rental machine (the link wasn't helpful to me?) one that pumps chilled water to you? I've seen pictures, I think there's even something about it in the library. If you wait too long, it might be more chilling than you need for the money you will have spent and the ice you have to manufacture LOL Also maybe you have to plug it in? I found myself running out of outlet space in my "recovery central? couch!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom