Revision THR Suki Gets a Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
In other words I do pretty much what I want and what my body allows. Your OS may tell you otherwise. But it is a decision you need to make. I think alexthecat; had the same experience and I am sure she will confirm she is living life to the fullest again. Please don't worry about revisions - once your restrictions are lifted you can get on with life.

Like Jaycey, I am more than 2 years post-THR. (Did you know that we were recovery buddies, back in the day?) I do not limit myself at all and I’m involved with some very demanding recreational activities. Once I was released from the standard post-op hip precautions, I started gently increasing the range of motion in my hip until I regained my full ROM.The key word here is “gently”.

Understand that the hip precautions are just another aspect of early recovery, like blood thinners or pain meds. Once you are recovered, you forget about it and move on. I know it’s easy, in the early months of recovery, to believe that your hip(s) will always be at the center of your existence, controlling everything you do. It just doesn’t work that way though. You don’t spend the rest of your life worrying about whether you can cross your legs or tie your shoes. The things that you can do (or not) depend on what lifestyle limitations (if any) you are willing to accept. That is a personal choice.

Like you, I have had multiple surgeries on the same hip. I’ve had four though, so you have some catching up to do! :heehee: My surgeries have had no long-term effect on my ROM. You didn’t say this directly, but it sounds like you had an easy time regaining ROM after your other surgeries. Did you do anything special then? If not, you probably don’t need to do anything special now. If you have always been naturally flexible, you still are. Surgery does not change that in the long term.

For now, just be patient. Three months from today, I expect you to be able to sit on the floor cross-legged no matter what you do now. If not, come back and talk about why it doesn’t seem to be working for you and we’ll help you move past that. In the meantime, I certainly would not recommend doing anything to actively try to increase ROM until your OS has lifted the hip precautions.

Even afterwards, I’m not sure that lots of dedicated stretching is necessary. Here is an article that shows that strength plays a large role in flexibility. Personally, I know of two THR patients who had surgery on consecutive days about two years ago. Both were 42 years old at the time and both were active and healthy before their hips slowed them down. One did lots of outpatient PT and exercises and stretching at home. The other did “mom” stuff. PT wasn’t a priority for her because she was busy with more important things.

At six months post-op, they had a Bonesmart “reunion” thread. Both reported sitting cross-legged on the floor, kneeling, squatting, etc. with ease. So, I’m not convinced that all the PT the first one did made much difference in terms of returning to day-to-day activities. However, I… oops! I mean, she… has no regrets and would do it again. It filled the time anyway. Realistically though, once you are healed from surgery, that hip will likely work as it should. Walking really is the best thing for mobilizing that joint because it pushes it through a natural, healthy ROM. I would definitely recommend sticking with that.
 
Alex

Thank you for the informative post and article. I had not seen it (the article), before but it makes lots,of sense.

My concerns came from reading (compulsively, every article I could find), about revision surgeries (and many of those articles cite long term risk of dislocation, as well as a generally less satisfactory outcome). The 2 partial and 2 total dislocations were more scary for me than the surgery and I am finding my confidence in my body still affected. Your thoughtful post as well as Jo's reassurance help. I am guessing time will help,too.

It sure seems as though this hip is as good, if not better, than the original. I have done 11 weeks of PT this time, while none in either of my previous surgeries, so this time I know my muscles are recovering strength rather than assuming so as I did with the originals. I am able to walk further, sooner, after the revision....my point being there isn't any reason for my hesitation to trust the hip. It just is, sorta like Zen, I guess.

I admire your zest and enthusiastic re-entry to life after hip....my goals are smaller but I would like to believe I will embrace the achievement of them as eagerly as you. Soon as I can scare the bogeyman away. In the mean time I continue to walk and do my home exercises while following the current restrictions, and sending uncounted thanks into the universe for blessing me with this 3rd opportunity at full mobility and a full life.

Thanks again
Suki
 
Suki, I think it takes everyone time to regain confidence in a new hip. For someone who has had multiple surgeries, it’s even harder because you have to learn to trust a part of your body that has already failed. That’s how I felt after my surgeries anyway. I never felt like I could relax until my check up one year post-op. There was always a nagging doubt that something could be going wrong. How would I know? Titanium doesn’t have any nerves. PT helped me a lot because it gave me an idea of what was reasonable and safe for me. I felt emotionally stronger and more optimistic as I became physically stronger.

Still… it’s hard to rationalize that fear away. That’s harder than the physical recovery, in some ways. Having multiple surgeries is a huge emotional challenge, so soak up all the support you can here. The day will come when you forget about that hip. In the meantime, keep posting here and reading about successful outcomes and talking to people who are having good recoveries and just surround yourself with as much positivity as you can.
 
Hey there Suki,
I absolutely second the idea about the emotional fallout Alex mentioned about the operation. You have to be gentle and supportive of yourself in this process, and yes, rebuilding trust in a part of your body that failed you takes some time. That is good that you feel this hip is better that the original; believe that!
Take gentle care,
Elle
 
Hi Suki

I have a friend who got an infected hip and suffered through three surgeries in quick succession, 9 weeks post, she and hubby went on a 10 week O/S trip and she said she was like a child caught up in the euphoria of being pain free... She was running up and down steps, climbing in and out of boat.. But now 18 months later she realizes her vulnerabilities and takes a deep breath and cautions herself internally before doing an activity..

I thought this was so interesting to hear, because I read about this so often on the forum. I keep telling myself over and over... Slow and steady will win my race... some days I hear my inner parent telling me that, sometimes I hear my inner child and off I go fearlessly pushing just a bit further....

It is about balance, we are different people after such major surgery, there is no way it can not change us in some way.. You will get there!
 
12 week update

Hi BoneSmart Friends,

Well, I saw the doc today for my 12 week post-revision surgery. Hip restrictions are lifted! High fives, and a big "oh, yeah!". I am so happy! And so relieved. The doc said as far as he is concerned any restrictions I now face have nothing to do with my my hip. He has NO CONCERNS about dislocation! This is the most positive outcome I could have dreamed. Yay!!!! He is suggesting I contact PT to determine what exercises/PT can assist me in improved flexibilty--- remember my questions and concerns about the leg shaving and shoe ties? This was his answer to my limits in these efforts.

He is recommending I have another shot of cortisone in my back, on left side, to ease the effects of the stenosis/arthritis/bone spurs that have been causing me significant discomfort. I had a similar shot on the right side in late February, and it made a big difference in degree pain. He is also recommending a MRI of my right knee. (pretty severe arthritis, but maybe also a torn meniscus (sp?). Apparently if this is the case a simple repair may ease the knee pain, delaying for awhile the replacement that he expects I will require at some point, (based upon earlier X-RAY). And finally he is prescribing a bone density baseline so that we know where I am on that issue. I had some bone loss requiring a bone graft with the revision. Not sure what, if anything, one does differently based upon results...question for next appointment. He is suggesting that I remain off work until after the tests/procedures above, and our next appointment on August 21. (I am still using narcotics fairly frquently, especially at night, but also a few days a week). He has also recommended I not increase daily walking distance after cortisone shot until we talk again, even if I experience significant lessening of back pain. I haven't decided yet whether to take his advice regarding return to work. I need to think about this as I was planning to go back next Monday.

When I asked about bending, squatting, kneeling, housework, garden efforts, etc., he said my back and knee issues suggest I continue to be cautious, so I will balance pain/reward as I decide which activities to limit and which to go for. Housework may go to the back burner ...:)...while I am willing to gamble some pain for the great rewards of digging in the dirt (and all the other pleasures of the garden). I will travel, but limit the amount of luggage we need to lug around...and I may spring for first class for the next trip or two, where otherwise I would not.

Anyhow, hope you all can see my great big grin. I am feeling very positive after this appointment. I love my hip(s), my surgeon, and this forum! By the way, I suggested he look at BoneSmart (and in future recommend it to his patients). He asked lots of questions and seemed very interested and positive about my answers, and told his front desk staff and office nurse that he was interested in getting more info in order to provide his patients with improved resources. He seemed most impressed with the interactive nature of the forum and that an orthopedic nurse advised and moderated. Hurray, Jo! I told him the advice I received saved him several panicked calls. He liked that!

I want to thank all of you that have sent me specific responses, reassurances, recommendations, and good wishes; and more generally to all of you that contribute to this forum. I have learned so much, been so comforted, and enjoyed your stories and conversations more than you will ever know.

Suki
 
[Bonesmart.org] Suki Gets a Revision What a brilliant update! Thanks for all the kudos for the forum and its members and telling your OS all about us. Thanks to him for listening and really hearing! So happy for you--back to digging in the earth
[Bonesmart.org] Suki Gets a Revision
what fun! Take care, keep us posted, we care.
[Bonesmart.org] Suki Gets a Revision
​
 
Totally happy for you, Suki. It sounds like you have some bumps up ahead with your knees and back, but I suspect you'll tackle those head on and keep moving forward. Great report!!!! :)

Sharon
 
Hi suki

great update!

I thought I would come visit you and reply to your question regarding the Nordic Walking that you posted on my thread.

I know the YouTube links and articles discuss a lot about lengthening one's stride and indeed it will help to do that. However, I tried lengthening my stride and found that it just aggravated my back, so I went back to my normal step length and found that was 100% better.. so I would suggest you keep to your normal step length.

I use a pedometer and was able to test the difference between the longer step and my normal step over the same distance. I am going to keep with this pace for as long as it feels more comfortable for my back.

Good luck if you decide to take it up, it really is excellent :)
 
Sorry to hear about the fall. I know it will all work out. Please take a easy so you don't stress the area that got hurt. Do keep me posted on how you are doing. Its so scary when you fall. I did one on New Year Day. Thank goodness I was just tender. I do understand your anixiety, I have it too. Do take care and have fun this weekend. Tashia
 
Thanks Poppet and Tashia for the visit to my thread. Poppet, thanks too for the NW info.

I am continuing my recovery and luckily don't remember my hips too often. I am struggling more with my back, mostly due to the cold I think. Though I am frightened of walking on the ice I continue to carefully find my way from my icy neighbor streets to clear and sunny walking trails. So at least for now I am still walking outside every day for a couple of miles. Right now we are dipping to single digits at night but temperatures are in low 30s during daylight, and we have been blessed with clear blue skies over the last week or so. expect snow again on Halloween. Once the weather totally shuts down my outdoor walks I guess I will go to the gym and use the recumbent bike and treadmill each day. Then, in January off to sunny SW. We will headquarter outside of Phoenix but plan to tour (via rented motor home as we will be taking my dog along and not too many motels like big furry dogs in their rooms), in order to experience a little time in several "potential" snowbird locations. If we find the right community we hope to buy a small condo so that we can escape the very long winters in Alaska. Once down south I can again walk outdoors. The desert at dawn sounds good, no?

Suki
 
I hope you have fun in Az. Lived there for many years. Your dog will love the weather also. Tashia
 
I am originally from Massachusetts and I have been in Arizona since 1983. There is no way on God's green earth that I would voluntarily move out of Az! I love the desert! I'm in Prescott at the moment but I'm hoping that in the next 3 years or so, I will be moving to Lake Havasu, Arizona. I love the HEAT!!!!
 
Lyne

I have a brother in Prescott. He and his wife really like it there. A friend of mine moved to Lake Havasu back in the 90s and hasn't looked back. She absolutely loves it.

Suki
 
It really is a small world :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Back
Top Bottom