Thedogtales
junior member
Suki,
The heel/toe has to do with what part of your foot hits the ground first with every step. When I limped, my foot on my bad hip side would just sort of clump down - the whole foot at one time. Now when I step out, my heel touches the ground first. Then as I continue through the step, as my weight goes on the ball of my foot, my heel is lifting up and I finish the step pushing off my toes. Its a rolling motion from the heel to the toe.
I'm trying to picture what you mean by "tripod". . . . Are your legs far apart and the cane is front of you rather than to your side? Because of the time you wear the abductor brace which I assume kept your leg further out from the center of your body, maybe you need some adductor exercises to build up the muscles that bring your leg in to the center of your body. If I'm doing the exercise where I lift my leg (or slide if I'm lying down) to my side and then back, I concentrate on the muscles on the outside of my thigh (abductor) when lifting to the side and then the muscles on the inside of my thigh (adductor) when bring my leg back.
At any rate, I don't always listen to everything my hubby says!!
Sally
The heel/toe has to do with what part of your foot hits the ground first with every step. When I limped, my foot on my bad hip side would just sort of clump down - the whole foot at one time. Now when I step out, my heel touches the ground first. Then as I continue through the step, as my weight goes on the ball of my foot, my heel is lifting up and I finish the step pushing off my toes. Its a rolling motion from the heel to the toe.
I'm trying to picture what you mean by "tripod". . . . Are your legs far apart and the cane is front of you rather than to your side? Because of the time you wear the abductor brace which I assume kept your leg further out from the center of your body, maybe you need some adductor exercises to build up the muscles that bring your leg in to the center of your body. If I'm doing the exercise where I lift my leg (or slide if I'm lying down) to my side and then back, I concentrate on the muscles on the outside of my thigh (abductor) when lifting to the side and then the muscles on the inside of my thigh (adductor) when bring my leg back.
At any rate, I don't always listen to everything my hubby says!!
Sally
United Kingdom![[Bonesmart.org] Suki Gets a Revision [Bonesmart.org] Suki Gets a Revision](https://data.bonesmart.org/attachments/2/2205-5640ff2b6ccb0c6423e4015b5f1ce032.jpg?hash=VkD_K2zLDG)
You imagined all your great walks with your Sammy and did it! I suspect that once you are able to walk without the brace that your knees will loosen a bit to make those walks more enjoyable. Yoga therapy sounds like another great opportunity as well as swimming if you have a facility in your area.