TKR Struggling<

Hi @Nick-UK Thanks for asking Still struggling I’m afraid. It’s 8 weeks today but my pain level is higher than it was a week ago. I can only hope that it’s because nerves are starting to work again although I also have a lot of painful grating to the left side of my knee whenever I bend or straighten it.
I went to the orthotics dept at the hospital yesterday and having measured my legs they said there is an 11 mm difference in length so they are going to build up my right shoe for me. I’m hoping this will help with my gait - which is not good. Still using crutches outside the house.
I keep reading other bonesmarties posts to keep my spirits up! Hope you’re doing ok Nick. Nice to hear from you.
 
Oh @Nick-UK - you asked me about natural remedies? I’ve just started taking turmeric capsules - they’re supposed to help with inflammation. Only started yesterday though so too soon to say if they may help.
 
They really go to town inside your knee so that would make sense. I am a little concerned that although I am currently pain free i have a few dead spots that I can prick with a pin and not feel that may be yet to come in.

Did you have a difference in leg length pre op? that seems a lot of difference

I was walking on the wonk pre op and a chiropractor noticed I wasn't walking properly, may be worth seeing if there is one locally who could give you the once over
 
@Virgo Lady you may better better starting your own thread rather than coming into someone else. People will see your issue more readily and respond for you :)
 
Oh @Nick-UK - you asked me about natural remedies? I’ve just started taking turmeric capsules - they’re supposed to help with inflammation. Only started yesterday though so too soon to say if they may help.

Did you see my thread?

A friend who recovered quickly was advised to go "carb free" before and after. That may be worth a try too
 
@Nick-UK I had about 5mm difference in leg length before the op - I was hoping the surgery would make the leg a bit shorter but no it made it longer and now the difference is very noticeable when I walk! I suppose if ever I have my right knee done I would go back to just the 5 mm but I don’t think that’s going to happen any time soon!
I was thinking of going to an osteopath because I get a lot of back pain - hopefully that will be as helpful as a chiropractor?
 
The orthotic might help a lot! @rubyyarn recently went through getting ortho shoes. Maybe she will pop by with some thoughts. People with leg length differences often benefit from even store-bought insoles.
 
Thanks @SusieShoes I’m hoping they will make a difference - also to my hip pain (bursitis) and lower back. I’ve also ordered some inserts off amazon just to be going on with - it’ll take 2-3 weeks for my shoes to be ready.
I’m hoping I feel quite a lot better next week because we’re going up to our caravan for a few days - it’s on a seasonal site just outside Whitby. The weather forecast is looking good and OH has a few days off work so I’m just hoping I’ll be able to manage! It’s a 3 hour drive though which I’m not looking forward to!
 
I think it's a bit too early to be thinking about orthotics. It may be just a matter of waiting until your body adjusts.
 
I don't know that I have any real wisdom about orthotics...I just wanted shoes that fit my funny looking duck feet :egypdance: The Foot Companion people were most helpful,making sure my new shoes fit properly. I had to get an insert to keep my ankles from rolling inward. I was warned that it would take some time to get used to the shoes...and she wasn't kidding!

Hopefully your inserts will work well for you, but you might want to get further into your recovery before you worry about completely new shoes :walking:
 
Thanks @Celle and @rubyyarn. At the moment the discrepancy in leg length (measured by the hospital) is such that I am walking with a pronounced limp. I’m only getting one shoe altered and if in time I find I don’t need it (although my other leg isn’t going to grow?) then I’ll stop wearing it. Its also causing me to have a lot of hip pain because I’m putting more pressure on my longer (operated) leg.
I slept a bit better last night. As well as my Melatonin (that I always take) I took an antihistamine (just for the sedative effect) and it seemed to do the job because I slept for about 7 hours!
 
Did the hospital measure your leg length like the example in this article?
Leg length differential - LLD

It's not yet 2 months since you had your TKR and your body is still adjusting to it.
I still think it's too early for an orthotic, and wearing one may prevent that adjustment.

I'll ask @Josephine what she thinks.
 
I totally agree with Celle. LLD is rarely due to the actual leg length but more usually caused by the tilt of the pelvis which happens when the individual is limping to cope with the pain of the arthritis.
 
9 weeks today so I thought I’d post an update. I’m away on holiday for a few days in our caravan which throws up quite a few challenges! Haven’t had as much chance to ice and elevate but I’m doing my best. More walking than I’ve been doing up to this point and just the sheer difficulty of manoeuvring in a small space with a terminally untidy partner!
My knee is slowly improving but still too slowly for me (I know - patience!) It does a lot of clicking and is still quite swollen - especially just above the knee. I can walk around inside the house without a stick but still use 1 crutch when I go outside. My next check up is at 12 weeks so hopefully they’ll think I’m doing ok.
Unfortunately I have to have a tooth out - my dentist wants me to check when I have my check up that it’s ok to do it. Also yesterday I started with shingles! It’s only on my arm (I’ve had it before so recognise the symptoms) I got some cream from the Chemist - I’ll make an appointment with my GP when I get home on Monday just to check me over. At the moment it’s just red patches with the blisters just starting to appear plus tingling and itching. I think the stress of the surgery must have lowered my immune system - brilliant timing! Well I think that’s about it. Don’t have WiFi at the caravan site (I’m in a pub at the moment) so haven’t been able to read anyone’s posts. Hope you’re all doing ok.
 
Also yesterday I started with shingles! It’s only on my arm (I’ve had it before so recognise the symptoms) I got some cream from the Chemist - I’ll make an appointment with my GP when I get home on Monday just to check me over.
@ChrissyG - did you realise that you can also be given oral medication for shingles? It's the same substance as is in the cream (Zovirax) , but it will act on your entire system, to help reduce the severity. See your GP as soon as possible, and ask for this.
 
Thanks @Celle. I’m in a caravan in the middle of the Yorkshire moors at the moment but I’ll make an emergency appointment first thing Monday morning when I’m home and hopefully he’ll give me the oral treatment that you suggested.
 
Thats bad luck @ChrissiG when you could have done with the break, hope the hot weather isn't irritating it.

Its important you don't miss out on the forum updates so base yourself at the pub!
 
Thanks @Celle. I’m in a caravan in the middle of the Yorkshire moors at the moment but I’ll make an emergency appointment first thing Monday morning when I’m home
I'm glad you're going to do that.

Oh, I miss the Yorkshire moors! I lived in Leeds for 14 years and I loved the moors.
 
Back home now - so I have WiFi!
I did my best @Nick-UK but the pub we went to last night was also WiFi less! That’s the only problem with remote rural areas - but it’s very much a first world problem
I managed to make an emergency appointment for tomorrow with my GP @Celle so hopefully they can give me something to ease the pain and itching. I’ve been covering my arm with gauze because it’s so hot in the UK at the moment (27c here in the North West) that the sun was making it worse.
Yes the Yorkshire Moors are beautiful- the white heather was in bloom and looked wonderful in the sunshine.
 
Hope you at least enjoyed the break but guess even the heat made the shingles worse

At least if its your van you can go again!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom