TKR Struggling<

Thanks Chemist for the explanation. Definitely down in the bottom of the curve at the moment! Just focusing on getting through each day - hopefully a day nearer the finish line. Although it would be nice if someone could tell you how long the race was! :)
 
Well went for my 6 week physio appointment today (had one at 3 weeks) and he was very pleased with me. My leg was straight and I had 107 flexion (on the couch - it’s more when it’s hanging down) He said just to carry on with what I’m doing :)

I mentioned that I felt my left leg (which was always slightly longer) seemed quite a bit longer than my right. He measure both legs from my belly button to inner ankle bone and there was a 1½” difference! But when he measured from my hip bone to ankle they were about the same - although looking at it he them he agreed the left one looked longer.

Anyway he’s referred me to podiatry to be properly measured for an orthotic to balance me up. He said there might be quite a wait though. I definitely think it’s affecting the way I walk though so I need something. Anyone else had this problem?

So quite happy with how things are going although the pain and stiffness isn’t any better :(
 
Sets of 5 are enough.
I like being with my trainer friend a few times a week for movement because he always asks how I am, appropriate movement vs pain, and he makes me laugh. Laughing when you’ve not had much sleep or feel like you’re a house slug can change the mind and encourage the heart. And honestly, a good cry can help at times too.:heehee: We always walk around the gym slowly after—my two “victory laps” and I leave happy.
 
I hope you can feel better and more positive after that visit! That's a really good report. You're definitely on the right path. I really can't tell you anything about the length difference in your legs. No experience with that at all. The orthotic sounds promising though. Maybe if you can correct your gait that way you will experience less discomfort.
 
Thanks @SusieShoes. Yes I’m hoping it will make a real difference - I feel like I’m tripping over my left leg as if it’s dragging on the ground because it’s too long! Makes my hip ache as well. Just hope I don’t have to wait too long to be seen. Love the NHS but waiting lists can sometimes be quite long for things that aren’t deemed too serious!
 
It's not unusual to feel that one leg is longer than the other after surgery. Sometimes, this is because your leg is actually longer, having been straightened during surgery. This happens especially if you were knock-kneed or bow-legged before surgery.
Sometime it happens because before surgery you had been walking with your hips slightly uneven.
It takes time for your body to adjust to that, but it does happen.

This article, although it talks about apparent leg length difference after a hip replacement, does mention how to measure for it. You'll see that measuring from the hip bone is the accurate way to do it.
Leg length differential - LLD

At this early stage, I wouldn't rush into wearing orthotics - that could prevent your body from adjusting.
 
I think it will probably be several months before I get an appointment with podiatry (although my physio put it through as urgent) I do know that my leg was slightly longer before surgery though - my trousers were always shorter on one leg. If I wear a trainer on one foot and nothing on the other I walk straight so we’ll see when they measure me properly. Believe me I will be very glad if it settles down and evens out. My Mum had to wear a built up shoe after her hip replacement and it was a pain for her! I’ll keep my fingers crossed that you’re right Celle :)
 
I’m 6 weeks tomorrow - not 11 days, so I don’t think I’m overdoing things as much as you think.
Oops - sorry about that!
Still can’t upload a photo I’m afraid because I’m on an iPhone - don’t have a computer and there’s no ‘Upload a file’ tab.
Try putting it on TinyPics instead and using the link starting with
[Bonesmart.org] Struggling<
 
He measure both legs from my belly button to inner ankle bone and there was a 1½” difference! But when he measured from my hip bone to ankle they were about the same
That's what we advise on here Leg length differential - LLD
he’s referred me to podiatry to be properly measured for an orthotic to balance me up.
I would most strongly advise against a lift. It stops the apparent differential from naturally adjusting - which it will if it's given enough time.
 
I agree with Josephine in urging against a lift. It sounds like the measuring is not right, plus your operated on leg is now straight, which the non-operated on leg isn’t. I asked my OS about it because my TKR left leg is longer now, and his explanation makes sense. Your body will adjust, please give it time and don’t compound your problems.
 
I am almost 5 weeks post op and seem to have come to a standstill on improvement. So disappointing as so many talk about the magic of the six week milestone when things start to improve all round. I am thinking if I continue to stay stagnant I will not be one of those lucky folks doing the happy dance at six weeks.
 
@Pamjam68 You don't appear to have a recovery thread of your own. Can you please start one so I can talk to you about this issue? Can't do it here as this is ChrissiG's thread and that would be derailing it! Tag me when you've created your thread.
 
My PT at first wondered about my leg length based on how I was walking--but within an appointment or two soon decided that wasn't. It went away as I healed and adjusted, as Josephine said. So a delayed appointment for an orthotic is a good thing.

Sounds like you're ding pretty well. Remember to still do a lot of elevating in between your activities. You're healing but time with your leg down--on or off your feet-- can add to swelling and pain for many weeks.
 
Thanks everyone. I hope you’re right and the difference will right itself over time. At the moment if I look in the mirror and want my shoulders and pelvis to be level I have to put something under my right foot! Oh well - time will tell.

I elevate almost all the time that I’m not pootling about and ice several times a day. I’ve been walking about in the house today without my crutch - just being careful and trying not to limp. I think I’m still improving- but slowly! :)
 
Well today I’m in agony! Don’t know why - I haven’t been overdoing anything but I’ve got nerve pain running right down my leg from my hip to my foot and electric shock type pains in the knee itself. Ice isn’t helping - after 5 or 10 mins it makes the pain worse. I can only take paracetamol so Im really struggling! :(
 
It sounds like you are having what we call 'zingers'. It when the cut nerves are mending. There isn't much you can do about it. My PA suggested trying a heating pad, which I did, but it didn't help. The good thing is they will become fewer and fewer.
 
I’ve been laid on the sofa for a couple of hours now and it’s eased off a bit. I don’t think it helped that I missed a dose of my painkillers - we went out for a drive and a drink in the sunshine in a pub beer garden. Forgot to take them before I went and thought never mind we won’t be out long - but then it went right out of my mind til the pain started :( I’ve had them now which has helped. Hope you’re right about these pains being temporary sistersinhim - can’t cope with them long term!
 
I kept a small container of my pain medication in my purse at all times and always took a bottle of water with me and crackers or a cookie to go with it, when I went out. And set an alarm on my phone! :console2:
 
Good idea Jockette. I must be more organised! Sometimes you just want to pretend you’re normal like other people though don’t you? Sigh - lesson learned :)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom