TKR Struggling<

No the heat doesn’t help the shingles @Nick-UK but I’m not going to grumble! We have precious few summers like this one (especially up here in the frozen North!)
We’re back up at the caravan for a few days in a couple of weeks when I’ll hopefully be feeling a lot better. Then we’re there for the whole of August (fingers crossed that the weather is still good )
Went to the docs this morning @Celle and she confirmed it was shingles and prescribed the oral anti viral. Hoping it will reduce the severity of the attack. Between the pain and itching in my arm, the hot weather and my swollen post holiday knee, sleep has been less than ideal!
 
I'm glad you went to the doctor, Chrissi. Having shingles in the midst of a heat wave must be horrible. :console2:
I hope the pills do their work quickly.
 
11 weeks today so time for another update.
Happy to say the shingles are improving but this morning I had to get an emergency appointment at the dentist to have a back tooth removed. The gum was all swollen and the pain was going up my cheek so the dentist felt it was becoming infected and would be better out. I rang the hospital to check if it was safe and they said as long as the dentist gave me antibiotics it would be ok.
So - feeling a bit sorry for myself - seems to be one thing after another at the moment.
However - on the knee front - I do feel like there’s been some real improvement the last two weeks. My walking has improved and is feeling more natural - although I still use a stick outside. The pain is lessening and I’m sleeping ok. The swelling is still pretty bad though and I can feel the difference in my mobility and pain levels as the day goes on and it gets more swollen. Still elevating whenever I’m sat down and icing several times a day. I guess it will just take time (and patience! Hmmm!)
 
Slow progress (and TKR progress nearly always feels impossibly slow) is still progress! And all of sudden (it seems) you will realize your knee is doing pretty darn good. :happydance: Three months is about where most people start thinking they're seeing the road open up before them. Recovery becomes more fun once you can see a nice road ahead, going somewhere.
 
You are getting there Chrissi, as Susie said slow progress is still progress, think back to something you are doing today that you were doing a month ago and compare them. Its difficult to see anything day to day.
 
Thanks @SusieShoes and @Nick-UK Yes I do feel that things are improving now as I head towards that magical 12 week mark! I just wish that my leg wouldn’t swell so much as soon as I start to walk around or stand for a while - still I know that will come eventually. :yes:
I went to the doctors today because ever since the op I’ve had really bad carpal tunnel in my left hand. I woke up with it after the surgery and it has never gone away.:bawl: It’s really quite painful - not just pins and needles and numbness and my grip is really poor. Anyway he’s referred me to orthopaedics at the hospital - probably mean more surgery but after a knee replacement nothing scares me!! (Except having my other knee done)!:heehee:
 
Anyway he’s referred me to orthopaedics at the hospital - probably mean more surgery but after a knee replacement nothing scares me!! (Except having my other knee done)!:heehee:

I know what you mean! I'm not looking at another knee, thank goodness (let's hope things stay good and no revisions lie in my future) but you have to figure after going through this kind of pain, and this long an ordeal, you can handle just about anything. Maybe not kidney stones. Been there, done that... would rather have my knees replaced again. :scaredycat:
 
I had bilateral carpel tunnel surgery few years ago - a walk in the park compared to the knee! A few days of discomfort with the wrists but then rapid improvement. Good luck.
 
Curious if you tried the turmeric....? I’ve taken NSAIDS for years, and still do, for overall arthritis but when I added the turmeric last year I noticed a further decrease in inflammation and pain. My 21 year old daughter, that already feels this darn knee pain, swears by the turmeric. She’s quite active and notices more pain when she goes off of it, so she fully believes in it too. It’s worth a try for sure:)). My OS even had me go off of it 10 days prior to TKR because of its anti inflammatory properties.
 
Thanks everyone :)
No @SusieShoes I think I would draw the line at kidney stones! I’ve never had them but if they’re anything like gallstones I’ll not bother! :eeeuw:
That sounds encouraging @Niftyknee. I was hoping the surgery wasn’t too bad - my Mum had both of hers done many years ago and thought it was nothing but she was old school stoical and never complained!
Yes @nuttybrunette I do take turmeric although only started a week or so ago so a bit too soon to say whether it’s made a difference - hope so!
:yes!:
 
@ChrissiG glad doctor is referring you about your hand. My doctor doesn't think mine is Carpel Tunnel as he said that affects the first 3 fingers whereas it's my ring finger and little finger. It was really sore during the night last night. I have to go back in 2 weeks if no improvement.

I had thought about Turmeric. Do you take it in tablet form?
 
Hi @Mollymax
I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that it’s a different nerve affected if it’s your ring and little finger. I think one is the wrist and the other in the elbow? I think it can be released though much like carpal tunnel so if it doesn’t improve I would ask to be referred.
I take turmeric capsules. They’re quite big because they’re a biggish dose. They’ve also got black pepper in them which is supposed to make them more absorbable by the body. I’m hoping they make a difference to my arthritis :)
 
If it doesn't improve they will need to do something as it's really annoying and quite sore at times.
As I still have arthritis in my other knee I may try the Turmeric once recovered from this.
 
Yes I’m hoping to keep my other knee going for a few years with the turmeric plus losing weight. (I’ve lost a stone already with the surgery - had no appetite for the first month) I’m also hoping to get more active once my knee has healed completely. I used to love walking/hiking and really want to get fit enough to enjoy it again.
 
I lost 6st leading up to the surgery and unlike most people didn't lose my appetite so weight gain is very likely as I am eating anything I want with the excuse I need the calories to heal. Need to reign that in our I am in trouble... Lol. I want to get back to my walking but will see how this knee heals and how other stands up to it without an op but may need to just go for the other knee replacement sooner rather than later.
 
Wow you did well! :wowspring:6 stone! (That’s 84lbs for any of our American friends) You must have iron self control lol. I’m not too bad on the food front - I’m diabetic so avoid biscuits sweets chocolate etc but my weakness is a couple of glasses of wine in the evening. Sadly they don’t make low calorie wine!
I do think we need to eat enough while our new knees are mending though but the trouble is we’re not really burning any off while we’re elevating and icing are we? :elevate:
 
Thank you ChrissiG. You are right we are doing no exercise to burn the extra calories. My scales show a big increase in the 17 days since the operation. I am hoping half of it at least is fluid in the swelling of my leg.
 
Eating protein is very important now. Worry about healing and not the weight! That comes later. In my case, later and later and later and later...!
 
I am banking on losing more weight when all the swelling goes down! (Plus remember the implant weighs more than your natural knee - every little helps!!) I’m sure when we are able to exercise again then the weight will fall off. But the main thing is that we feel strong and healthy. I’m just looking forward to being able to do normal activities with my friends and family.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom