TKR Struggling<

I have never been a high energy person. It never bothered me to take time for myself when I needed it and it was convenient to do so. (Though before this surgery I did not shirk responsibilities)

Many an afternoon when my kids were little I would take a 2 hour nap when they did! (2 out of 3 of my kids were not good sleepers at night). I was even so bold as to turn the phone off during my nap!
 
1 Around 3-4 in the day time when walking about and 1-2 at night in bed (just when I turn over or move position)
Okay - so not too bad then?
2 I’m only on over the counter meds. I take 1000mg paracetamol 3 or 4 times a day. Plus a turmeric capsule for inflammation. I can’t take strong meds and NSAIDs give me reflux. I take Melatonin at night to help me sleep.
That's excellent!
3 My leg is moderate if I’m not doing much but between mod and huge if I’ve been on my feet. Swells as soon as I do something - that’s my main problem.
Would you consider having massage from a lymphatic drainage masseur? I know a lady who travels all over the UK and has been coming to me for about a year and now my swollen legs and feet are all but normal. Given that you are now 13 weeks post-op I think it would benefit you. She charges £50 for an hour's treatment but I have her come every other week. If you're interested I'll contact her for you and see if she will come that far west.
4 ROM is 105 without pain and 0.
That is not bad!
5 Icing 3 or 4 times a day for at least an hour at a time.
Very good!
6 Elevating all the time unless I’m on my feet so probably 8 hours a day (with a lounge doctor)
Excellent
7 I don’t do any heavy housework (I have a cleaner) and my partner makes the evening meal. So I make breakfast and lunch. Tidy the kitchen load the dishwasher put laundry in washer make the bed do a little light shopping feed the dog and that’s about it. I wish I had the energy to do more but am exhausted all the time.
Sounds like you have all that under control!
8 I don’t do any formal exercises - just walking. I’m hoping to go swimming when I feel a bit stronger.
Jolly good!

Re: the shoulder
The doctor said I’d put it back in properly but all my ligaments have been stretched which is why it starts to dislocate again when I move my arm a certain way.
That's why I left you those images, so you could understand why that should be so.
So she gave me a sling and an appointment for the fracture clinic for next Monday. Not sure what they can do - maybe physio?
Yes, a sling is the usual treatment and physio would be also. I doubt she'd be considering surgery just now!
 
Oh god no I don’t want any more surgery @Josephine!! I’ve already probably got carpal tunnel surgery in my future I don’t want anything else!
Hopefully it’s just physio. I am resting the shoulder now so that it can heal.
Yes - please ask your massage lady if she’d come over here. Although I’m going to be away for most of August so would probably be better after that. Can she show me how to do the massage myself? That would be helpful if I could do it regularly.
@Jockette - Im pretty good at resting when I need to. I am quite physically lazy I’m afraid. I have to push myself to do anything really energetic. But at the moment I don’t really have much energy even for the good stuff - the things I want to do. :walking: If I can just get back to walking my dog I’ll be happy!
Went out tonight for my OHs birthday meal. Took my granddaughter Emily (who’s over from Denmark for a visit) and my niece Sophie. Had a really good time. It was nice to feel normal for a change! :cheers:
 
Can she show me how to do the massage myself?
Not really - she trained for 5 years to learn how to do it so that shows how complex it is. She starts in the armpits and works her way down the body to the legs and feet. She also uses a computer device to encourage the flow of lymph in the body.

I'll shoot her an email tomorrow. If she can't come across to where you are, she may know someone in your area.

What kind of PT is good for a shoulder issue?
Just the usual ones. I must put them up in the Shoulder section sometimes soon!
 
Me again! It was 5 months yesterday since my tkr so thought I’d check in and update my recovery. I guess I’m slowly improving but it is slow!

My knee is quite comfortable when I’m sitting and I sleep ok now. My main problems are when walking or bending the knee. It hurts! I have pain in both sides of the knee cap as well as clicking - which is sometimes painful but not always.

I think I’m just looking for some reassurance that this is all normal? My knee doesn’t look swollen any more although it still measures 1/2” more than my right.

The other thing that is really affecting my walking is the pain in my left (operated side) hip, thigh and bum! I’ve had it now on and off for about 3 years. I was hoping it would ease after my tkr but no such luck. I think it’s bursitis with also some sciatica when it’s particularly bad. If I could get rid of this pain my walking would be much better.

I walk unaided in the house but still take my stick when I go out. It helps with balance but also takes some pressure off my sore knee and hip.

I’m going to physio at the moment for my (dislocated) left shoulder. The ultrasound showed a tear in the tendon plus arthritis in the shoulder joint and collar bone. I’ve also just been referred for carpal tunnel surgery on my left hand but have decided to postpone that - too much going on st the moment!

I don’t post much but read other people’s posts a lot - which is really helpful when I’m feeling down.

Think I’ll stop now - this is turning into War and Peace! Hope everyone’s doing ok
 
Its really good just to get on and read other peoples' posts. I do it too when I am feeling down or frustrated. You can always fond someone whose story resonates with you in some way. I don't know how I would have coped without this forum.
You have been through a lot Chrissi - I hope things settle for you soon!
 
@ChrissiG aw so sad for you having to go through all that on top of a TKR.
I have the pain when walking but think it’s the swelling and stiffness. Also IT band probs. Josephine gave me some exercises which do seem to relieve it for a while.
I’m always reading this forum and cheering from the sidelines when there’s a positive report.
Hoping things improve for you but know I’m sending upbeat thoughts and lots of hugs.
 
For some of us, me included, our pain takes longer than others to settle down. Have you told your surgeon that you still have pain when walking or bending?

I hope you see improvement soon. :console2:
 
Thanks everyone for your replies :) It really helps to know other people are going through the same thing.

I don’t see my surgeon til my 12 month check up now Jockette. I saw his PA at 6 weeks and 12 weeks and she said I was doing ok. We don’t have as many follow ups or PT here as you seem to in the US.

Not sure if that’s a good thing or bad thing! I read your thread and your OS seemed quite barbaric and scary.

I certainly don’t want anyone forcibly bending my knee or telling me I’m not doing enough! :unsure:

I really hope you see some improvement in your knee - my OS said it can take 2 years to fully settle down so there still hope.:console2:

@Kazmeraz you are still over a month behind me so lots of time for your pain/stiffness to improve. If I look back a month I was definitely worse in terms of ROM and pain. We feel like we’re getting nowhere but slowly but surely things start to get better.:walking:

Thanks @Jacimarble for your good wishes - helps to feel less alone in this journey back to fitness. Hope things go well for you too.
 
My main problems are when walking or bending the knee. It hurts! I have pain in both sides of the knee cap as well as clicking - which is sometimes painful but not always.I think I’m just looking for some reassurance that this is all normal?
It can be.

the pain in my left (operated side) hip, thigh and bum!
Show me where

[Bonesmart.org] Struggling<

[Bonesmart.org] Struggling<


We don’t have as many follow ups or PT here as you seem to in the US. Not sure if that’s a good thing or bad thing!
Trust me, it's a very good thing!
 
Hi @Josephine
Sorry for not answering sooner but we’ve been away for a few days.
The pain in my knee is at DLF3 and DLF4
The pain in my hip is VL1F and WL1F
The sciatica pain - which isn’t constant - seems to have gone away again at the moment is VL2B WL2B and so on in a line down my leg.
Hope you can understand that!
 
of course@Josephine
Chrissie, if you want your tags (alerts) to work, you have really got to do them properly. You will notice that there is no space between the @ and the word before it. This stops it working. You can actually see for yourself if your tag has worked because a) you will get a little pop-up with the person's name in it and b) the name will turn blue. If it doesn't, then you've not done it properly! Read this How to tag another member



Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?


4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom