TKR Struggling<

Well 12 weeks today since my TKR. I wish I could report some improvement but things seem to have gone backwards big time in the last few days.

The swelling just above my knee has increased enormously making it difficult to walk - or in fact do anything. I have spent the last 3 days icing and elevating constantly - but there has been no improvement. This is really affecting my mental health - I feel extremely anxious and on the verge of a panic attack and am having trouble sleeping.

I had my check up at the hospital yesterday but only saw the nurse - I haven’t seen my OS since the surgery. She seemed to think it was ok and that I should expect swelling but it was so much better last week and I can’t understand why it has flared up so badly. I haven’t done anything to cause it.

She said it didn’t feel loose (she moved my knee about a bit - but gently) and there was no sign of infection - redness round the scar etc. But I’m worried about metal allergy - what are the symptoms of that @Josephine? I told them I was allergic to nickel before the op but I don’t know what type of implant I have.

I’m feeling really lost at the moment.
 
Well - it never rains but it pours! Since my tkr I’ve had shingles and also had to have a tooth out (with antibiotics but still a worry) and then - I dislocated my shoulder last night - managed to get it back in myself but it is mega painful and I’m worried it might come out again. I was holding onto the doorframe of the bedroom and sort of twisted to come back out - and out it popped! It’s the shoulder that I broke 8 years ago so it’s got a metal rod and some screws in it.
I would have gone to the ER but I’d have been sat in the waiting room for 4 hours and my knee just isn’t up to it yet. We’re driving up to the caravan this afternoon (3hours) and staying til Sunday so if it’s still bad when I get back I might have to go and get it xrayed. Sigh
 
Oh no! You are one tough lady! I'd been screaming at an ER! And now you're taking a 3 hour drive! A sore shoulder on tip of a tkr is rough! I hope you can have a good time and your pain goes away.
 
Oh no! I knew a woman who would dislocate her shoulder quite often. Not sure why. But she would always just pop it back it and go on about her activities (this was at my gym). It never seemed to bother her beyond popping out. I hope you have no further pain or problem with your shoulder. I too would have had it checked out, but I understand what you're saying about how a long wait in a waiting room might actually be more painful for your knee.

Have an uneventful trip to your caravan! :flwrysmile:
 
That sounds awful. You poor thing.
Re knee swelling: the PT showed me how to sort of massage along the sides of the scar. He said it released pressure (or something!) and helped drainage. I can't bear to do it on the scar itself but down the sides is OK. I tried it several times today and lo and behold my swelling has reduced. I measure it night and morning to record progress
 
Thanks everyone. I’m lying on the bed in the caravan with my legs elevated and a bag of frozen peas on my knee. It’s nice to have a change of scene but I have to be careful moving about because it’s a small van and my OH isn’t the tidiest!!
My shoulder is still very sore but I’m trying to ignore it! Sleeping might be more of a problem than usual (and it’s never good)
I’ve been massaging my knee to try and take the swelling down a bit. It feels nice (in a painful sort of way) but the swelling is still there. It’s just above my knee and feels quite firm and solid.
Oh well - hopefully it’s just a matter of time. Hope everyone’s doing ok tonight.
 
Hope you are ok in your caravan ChrissiG. I am also lying in caravan with frozen peas but it's a static so I have plenty room and now family have gone home I don't have toys to negotiate around.
Hope your shoulder is ok and doesn't cause you too much pain.
 
Thanks @Mollymax. Sitting in the awning watching tv wearing a coat because it’s a bit chilly! A static - luxury! Ours is just a smallish old tourer - we thought we’d see how much we use it and then maybe trade up. It’s on a seasonal site just outside Whitby. It’s nice to get away - my OH is a workaholic so the only way so see anything of him if we go away!
My shoulder is quite sore but I’m trying to enjoy my self and forget about it - til Monday anyway! Hope you’re doing ok and enjoying the peace and quiet now your daughter and grandkids have gone. It’s lovely to see them but then it’s lovely when they go! It takes it out of you when you’re in pain doesn’t it? Hope you sleep well.
 
We have done the tourer bit. Had them for years when kids were small. Had a really nice two berth but sold it and bought this. Its an owners only site so nice and quiet. Just outside Lockerbie.
Hope you manage to sleep with your shoulder.
 
Last edited:
Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
[Bonesmart.org] Struggling<


4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
As regards the shoulder, it's one of the easiest joints to dislocate because it's not actually constrained. The joint depends entirely upon the strength and stability of the rotator cuff holding the humeral head against the glenoid. If the cuff is compromised (one or more of the ligaments is torn or friable) then the shoulder will be unstable.

[Bonesmart.org] Struggling<
 
Thanks @Josephine
1 Around 3-4 in the day time when walking about and 1-2 at night in bed (just when I turn over or move position)

2 I’m only on over the counter meds. I take 1000mg paracetamol 3 or 4 times a day. Plus a turmeric capsule for inflammation. I can’t take strong meds and NSAIDs give me reflux. I take Melatonin at night to help me sleep. (I’m also on meds for a heart condition)

3 My leg is moderate if I’m not doing much but between mod and huge if I’ve been on my feet. Swells as soon as I do something - that’s my main problem.

4 ROM is 105 without pain and 0.

5 Icing 3 or 4 times a day for at least an hour at a time.

6 Elevating all the time unless I’m on my feet so probably 8 hours a day (with a lounge doctor)

7 I don’t do any heavy housework (I have a cleaner) and my partner makes the evening meal. So I make breakfast and lunch. Tidy the kitchen load the dishwasher put laundry in washer make the bed do a little light shopping feed the dog and that’s about it. I wish I had the energy to do more but am exhausted all the time.

8 I don’t do any formal exercises - just walking. I’m hoping to go swimming when I feel a bit stronger.

Think I’ve answered them all!

Thanks for the info about the shoulder. So it sounds like I may have some ligament damage - that doesn’t sound as scary as a problem with my bones!

I have dislocated both my wrists and knees in the past. My niece has Elhers Danlos Syndrome and a rheumatologist has told me I probably have it but because I now have arthritis in most of my joints and they’ve all stiffened up she couldn’t give me a formal diagnosis. But never my shoulder before.
 
13 weeks yesterday. :loveshwr:My granddaughter Emily has come over from Denmark to visit us for a week. It’s lovely to see her but I think I’m doing a bit too much - not having much chance to elevate and ice. She’s gone out this afternoon with my niece though so I’m taking the chance to put my feet up!
I think I’ve turned a bit of a corner this week - my knee isn’t swelling as much and feels a bit more normal when I’m walking about. Still very stiff when I’ve been sitting a for a while though but I know that’s the last thing to improve.
The thing that bothers me is that I seem to have lost all my strength. I feel as weak as a kitten. No energy either. The least effort seems to wear me out! :mcoffee:
I really hope that starts to improve soon.Hope everyone’s doing ok. I read the new threads every day which helps me feel less alone! :umm:
 
I tired very easily at 3 months. Things will continue to improve. :flwrysmile:
 
Oh - I forgot to say - I went to the ER on Monday when I got back from my weekend away and they xrayed my shoulder. The doctor said I’d put it back in properly but all my ligaments have been stretched which is why it starts to dislocate again when I move my arm a certain way. So she gave me a sling and an appointment for the fracture clinic for next Monday. Not sure what they can do - maybe physio? @Josephine?
 
The tiredness hangs on a long time for some. It took four months before I got back any zip. Listen to your body and nap whenever you can grab one. You will have more energy some days than others at first but will get back up to speed soon.

Sorry to hear you have an ongoing problem with your shoulder. :sad: I hope there's something you can do for it. Crossing my fingers that the fracture clinic has some options for you!
 
Thanks @Jockette and @SusieShoes. I just feel like such a slug at the moment! I wish I could nap - lifelong insomniac here! It’s always 2 am before I manage to nod off. I do rest (nearly all the time!) but sleep eludes me. Still it’s comforting to know that energy finally returns - just hope it’s not too long coming! :upright:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom