Well once again the old saying that things can change in a minute I am feeling every bit of it
Thursday I had a PT appt he wanted to monitor the strength in lower and upper body He had me sit in a chair back not touching and lift both legs just at knees up off the floor I managed to keep them up for a minute and half I went to work yesterday feeling sore in the groin area of right mainly near the incision area..after walking 2 miles ( which I am monitoring on my Fitbit) this is the “ norm “ it takes me to get to work at 8 am and stay until 1pm and get home
I awoke at 4 am with inscruating pain ..enough to put me in a panic mode which I plan on calling OS on Monday
I also received a call from long term disability case worker which given my problems from right hip it appears I am eligible to collect on hours difference since I am on modified schedule..which financially gives me a piece of mind and yet lingers that I have to be careful and physically unable to return to all of my usual. The hussle and bustle of walking downtown Cincinnati everyone is in hurry I am holding up traffic as I cross streets which the lights change and cannot move quicker to getting on elavators and some will wait for me and other times I tell them to go on...lol
Honestly as much as I hated the walker it is all I thought about this morning to drag it back out All my confidence has drained right out of me because of this pain I am having it had reduced me to taking medication and muscle relaxers to give me relief even 20 percent would be a blessing I am in recliner once again and the ice is flowing..
Oh my, poor thing. Getting to your work place sounds like a marathon. I got tired just reading your journey. I don't live in a large city, can't imagine how it would be to navigate. I hope you can rest your body most of the weekend. Any relief from the pain is needed to get the muscles to relax and get some relief of the stress of the brain. Peace and hugs to you. Just a thought, maybe the walking to get to work with additional walking at work would be enough PT for now?
@julesglass I am doing very light PT for my lower back I had lumbar fusion years ago rods screws cages he is trying to get the muscles moving as I was in a recliner for 11 weeks then it is followed by a massage the strength test was to see how my back was doing. My OS has only asked me to walk for hips. I too have been concerned with my travel with job it wasn’t easy prior to surgeries if I had not ran until several infections after my right hip I believe I would be in a different place with my recoveries..I will not be doing anymore leg lifts for a long time...lol
Still early days but I'm sorry you are struggling.
Getting back to work, even part time is extremely draining.
Glad you are assuming the position
Sending healing Mojo your way
@Mojo333 thanks gal My journey has been long and bumpy but this forum and support has helped me tremendously with my “ what if’s” and “should I be concerned “ questions I have had several operations lumbar and cervical after three months I was for the most part past the soreness from incisions etc.. the hips have got to be my hardest challenge physically and mentally.
Hi @Aline
I'm so sorry. The pain you described sounds awful. If I'm understanding, you're walking to and from work?
Is public transportation, driving yourself, or a ride service like Uber an option for a time. At least until you're feeling stronger and a bit more confident jumping into the fray? I'd definitely use a cane at this point in an effort to keep people at a safe distance. You're still in the early recovery of two major surgeries and have a lot of healing to do. Please take it slow and as easy as possible while you're on the mend.
A peaceful weekend to you!
Only two months out...and I know how that sounds but we did have a prosthetic hip implanted and personally...seeing as you have persevered through so much, don't think that things are not going to improve substantially!
Keep the faith friend.
You did the right thing.
@Aline hoping you get some much needed rest and relaxation this weekend. I would definitely continue to use the cane during your work commute, you need to keep space between you and the folks that are doing everything but paying attention to their surroundings.
Good morning thank you for your kind words I normally take a bus to and from sometimes I Uber I have to walk about 2 blocks to get into building..I am about 2 blocks in a different direction from the Reds Stadium and with ballgames it’s a bit crazy downtown I have been using my cane as I am too unsteady at this point ..lots of muscles in thigh areas seem to be strained seems to move around quite a bit. I think my Fitbit tracks my short toddler steps which if I was taking longer strides walking a mile is 2 miles for me at this point
At this point in the game I have learned not to commit to anyone to make plans to do anything LOL..Last night I went to 40 year class reunion I had promised my childhood friend months ago thinking...ohhh I will be good to go by August lol...I changed my picture this is from last night I spent most of evening sitting on patio..if you look closely you can see all the lights from downtown Cincinnati. It was a beautiful night and I so enjoyed seeing everyone The struggle was real lol but some classmates I haven’t seen for years I did not want to pass up the opportunity
I will be trying to go in at 7 am this week as the traffic isn’t as thick and I seem to have much more energy in early hours of day
Nice to hear from you @Layla@Mojo333@Elf1 hope everyone is having a fabulous weekend
hi @Aline! I don't think I mentioned but Ohio is my home state and I love southern Ohio! Cincy is beautiful at night, in the right places. My sister lives close by in Lebanon and we enjoy a Reds game when I go home.
You poor thing, I am sure you were so devastated with the pain returning. I really give you props for fighting what you fight to get to work!! The 7 am timing sounds like a good idea! Especially since you aren't sleeping later hours anyways.. I wish you the very best and that the pain recedes quickly!! Great picture of you..
Good Morning! @Aline
It's wonderful you were able to make it to your class reunion. It is fun to see old classmates, engaging in conversations with those you were once close to, but lost touch with over the years. I'll bet you enjoyed every minute of it. Nice photo of you with the city lights twinkling in the background.
I'd be remiss if I didn't say I'm worried about you overdoing it. I understand not everyone can be off work for 12 weeks, nor have the luxury of a Phased Return but I hope you're able to rest, not doing much else as you continue to adjust to your normal schedule.
You are still so early into the healing process of two THR's within very close proximity. Please don't cheat yourself out of the TLC you need as you continue healing in the months to come. We're so eager to get back to our lives and our normal, but unfortunalty those desires won't make the healing happen any faster. I hope the pain you were experiencing yesterday morning is easing. Rest and ice should help. Hopefully you can chill today in preparation of the busy work week.
Wishing you comfort and some restorative rest. Have a great Sunday!
I am on a modified schedule 4..6 hours a day until? My next appt is 9/6 I was able to last about 4 1/2 to 5 hours last week the hips dictate I cannot do more than they will allow lol ...truth...I have had to get up and move about every hour I have my ice packs and elevate..I do have option to raise my desk to stand but I didn’t even attempt it lol
I go back to PT Tommorow and I will let him know how much pain those leg lifts caused me
Sent me thru the roof! I tend to get aggravated with myself for pushing too much too soon I have gotten so much better at hitting the “pause” button but I found myself chatting away with my therapist doing the leg lifts and held them up way too long.. lesson learned I have suffered the last few days it is tolerable today. @Layla @CricketHip wow what a small world I do not remember you mentioning family in this area I live in Ky.. right across the river about 5 miles up 75. Reds games Ahh you know the craziness I am writing about LOL
I sure do know the craziness! My dad was a standardbred driver (sulky). So I spent summers in Florence and Latonia, KY.
Good memories.
You’ve earned my respect, fighting that craziness so early in your recovery.
I had a wonderful time Saturday my childhood friend winded up staying overnight as the class reunion went until midnight WOW was I tired Sunday stayed in bed all day. Yesterday I Ubered to and from work..it was 95 and humid here ugh! I left work at 130 came home and sat and was exhausted I had a PT appt at 4 and had to cancel..I was wiped out lol
My right hip groin area has settled down ...finally still having all those aches and soreness that travels to different areas on both
All the gals at work ask me if I want lunch I have not had any fast food for several months have no desire..lots of fruit cottage cheese and red meats is all I eat..Since I lost a lot of blood from both surgeries I crave red meat no chicken or fish @CricketHip Oh yes the madness of downtown lol very challenging I reside in fort Mitchell it is in middle from Latonia to Florence this area is getting so commercial I grew up in Burlington and in them says it was all country Florence is next door and all we had was the Mall..so much traffic now out there.
Had PT yesterday explained to him the horrible pain I experienced in my right groin after doing leg lifts and how it set me back a few days..he said it may have been due to my activities as well .. I let him have it this time even though I knew where it came from. .. lol
There are severe thunderstorms this morning should be interesting trying to get to work today holding umbrella and cane purse lunch bag no bus for me today not going to even attempt walking 2 blocks it’s Uber day
Time to get in shower and get this day moving
Hello and Happy Thursday to you
It's good to read that when you're tired, you're not pushing yourself, but listening to your body instead.
I hope you're able to have a relaxing weekend. You're doing great...keep it up! @Aline
@Aline hopefully you made it into work safe and dry as well as back home. Relax, I've if you need it and have a laid back evening. I'm finding that some PTs would never acknowledge that anything they are doing could possibly be wrong, at least for you. I was talking to the new one I have, don't remember exactly what I said but she came back with well we do 7 years of school so why would we do something to hurt the patient?! I decided to just kind of stay silent after that.
I have pain in both thighs left is more on the outside of thigh .. right is painful on top and side of thigh and also groin area where my incision is located. I make sure when walking it is heel to toe with shoulders back.. I believe my muscles I am using now are adjusting to my walk and gait.. I was very arthritic in both joints and walked on the outside of my feet and was slumping over... for me I am quite sure all my muscles in thighs are in shock .. at least that is the way I feel..reminds me of when I used to go to gym and muscle soreness..I am doing my best not to overcompensate my left leg it’s 15 weeks out and right is 10 weeks... I have caught myself standing chatting with someone and having all my weight on the left..I had some odd ways of dealing with all that pain prior to surgeries depending on one side if the other was hurting more.. sitting .. leaning to one side..standing leaning on one side etc... I still catch myself doing things out of habit I have gotten better recognizing and modify the behavior... took a long time to develop I know it’s not a quick fix.
I have accepted that my life has changed and my hips will heal in their time.. I am back to work part time and caught myself last week walking too fast to catch bus.. making it in the elevator..etc I actually witness 2 girls making fun of me in corridor to catch elevator mimicking my short slow steps I was not using my cane.... good thing for them ...it was their lucky day..LOL
My sister is their boss and they have no idea who I was..and that we all work for same company... guess they will think twice before making fun of someone.. haven’t spoke to my sister to see how their jaws dropped after she spoke to them
@Elf1 I have to agree with you it is important to use your voice he told me yesterday he is meeting with doctor today to discuss my restrictions and to mention the hiccup above he has been working on my strength for back and upper body those lifts were for my lower back but a no no for hips.. yesterday he had me with 3 lb weights one in each hand working my shoulder joints to increase the blood flow he said it helps for arthritis I am a bit sore today lol it’s ok not enough I can’t use the arms but a bit bothersome kinda like my thighs
I told him long term disability will be calling him for medical notes to make sure all is documented he specified that I am in Medical Excercise not PT he does all vitals and tracks weight loss diet I have a massage after each session and he works one on one with my doctor. I had been to therapy PT facilities but I’m much more happier with this I feel my doctor involvement is close and being monitored. It has been raining for days here in Ky.. traffic a mess.. I have been Ubering I get dropped off right in front of building.. makes me nervous with the wet streets good lord not sure how it’s gonna be when we have snow! Hopefully I will be much more confident by then.. the thought of falling scares the beejeemeees out of me!!!
Work update: I started raising my desk and stand the first hour or so every morning I have to print out several documents and scan to different departments I was sitting in my chair and rolling over to printer instead of getting up and down.. realized it was too much using my legs to move myself in chair... duh! I find myself in less pain with standing... my biggest challenge at this point is getting up from a seated position and also getting in and out of car I stand still for a few minutes before I attempt to start walking !
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.