THR Struggle has been real!!!

All sounds familiar to me...I did the rolling about thing to when I got back to work.
Standing always felt better to me also, but even that comes back to bite you a bit once home and icing and elevating.
I do hope you do that still when you make it home.:ice:
Trial and error...:sigh:
I think you have done very well and there is lots of improvement to come.
That stiff upon rising hung on for over 6 months for me...I would get up and do some in place marches to get things firing.
Hope today is an easy day.:tada:
 
Good Morning!
Standing for a minute after getting up from a seated posion before moving sounds familiar to me.
It's almost like you're letting things settle before taking off. I used to do the same but somewhere during the healing process that eased. I don't recall when, I only know that now I most often get up and go. Unless I've been sitting for an extended period of time, I may be a little stiffer then, but in all honesty I think it's more an aging body than anything to do with hips. You're doing well, Aline. It's good you discovered utilizing your standing desk in the morning is more useful than engaging muscles that aren't strong enough at this point and rebelling.
A great Tuesday to you!
@Aline
 
@Mojo333 @Layla I do nothing through week I prepare food and laundry on weekends, when I do get home I rest elevate and ice!! My hips are still a bit swollen and my right calf and knee.
This is my third week back to work and my toddler steps are increasing to a decent stride, my coworkers have noticed and I feel pretty good, confident not to use the cane..only when I walk to bus stop
I have started going in later 15 minute intervals to see how long I can work until the energy drain kicks in..I am able to stay until 230...2 weeks ago I left at noon. I have a good supervisor who is encouraging and understanding.. hard to find .....a lot of employers would view “ if you are back.. your back”
I had stocked up on food and house personal items to last a good month or so .. grocery trips on weekend consist of fruits and veggies taking me about 15 minutes to shop
Most importantly I make myself the priority! Sometimes In my opinion you get caught up in the daily grind and push too much... nope not me... I don’t mean to sound selfish...but I am in charge of my recoveries it took a few ODIC but I got it LOL
Thanks for your encouragement this forum has helped me through some tough times
 
Ohh and my biggest news!!! My daughter and Hubby bought a new house June 1st..I have not been able to see it.. they have a lot of stairs and no bathroom on the ground level just up or down.. my daughter has been afraid I may hurt myself...Wellll this Saturday is my granddaughters 1st Birthday! they are having a big party I can finally see their first new home!! I am so excited
I spent a lot of time on Amazon shopping she is my first grandchild don’t think I need to tell you what I bought that child! She’s the ❤️
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi again, @Aline
Your third week back to work already, Summer is fading fast. I'll bet it's encouraging to have your co-workers
notice your change in gait and improved stride. Confirmation of improvements are always reassuring making the temporary struggle feel worthwhile.

You're lucky to be able to phase back in with a nod from your supervisor and undestanding colleagues. I feel sorry for those less fortunate feeling pressure to return early while still feeling exhausted mentally and physically. In an effort to keep from pushing yourself, you're being wise, not selfish. Your efforts will pay off with a smoother recovery rather than being sidelined in the ODIC for overactivity.

Enjoy the weekend spending time with your daughter and SIL in their new home celebrating your granddaughters first birthday! You're doing great...keep it up! :)
 
@Aline that is great that you're finally getting to see the new house and even better that you'll be celebrating your granddaughters first birthday! I say have at it with the spoiling of that little grand, it's always so much fun! Hope you have a great time and the steps at the house don't give you too much trouble.
 
@Aline you sound like you are getting this work thing down pat! But I didn't like reading that yo noticed 2 girls making fun of your walk... You cane would have been too good for them! If you know what I mean..:hissy:
But then I go to this last page on your thread and you are already improving your gait! Good for you!
I admire you hippies who are either bi lateral are pretty darn close to that.
Soon you'll have a long holiday weekend!
 
Sometimes In my opinion you get caught up in the daily grind and push too much... nope not me... I don’t mean to sound selfish...but I am in charge of my recoveries it took a few ODIC but I got it
Sage advice for many recovering hippys.:xmark:
Great for prioritizing your recovery and glad that your employer is sensitive to this.
Hump day today:yes!: and a wonderful weekend ahead!
:happydance:
 
@CricketHip those gals have no idea that my sister is their boss.. we work for same Company but on different floors I am in Accounting and my sis is the big boss over the payroll department I haven’t had a chance to talk to my sis told her about a week or so ago since we all were not “in office” this happened in corridor main floor where elevators are located BUT that will not stop me if I see them again..forgot to mention my first week back they were behind me in a revolving door and pushed so hard that I nearly fell down “they have 2 strikes” I have been in several situations where strangers too much of hurry barrel me down or go to another line in store etc.. pitiful
There are also kind souls that will assist me when krogering or Walmart I use the handicap stroller I probably could use the shopping cart but am afraid of any spills on floor etc A friend of mine slipped on a wet floor at Kroger and winded up surgery on rotator cup.. it can happen very easily
The last few nights I have slept on my back I keep having a lot of muscle soreness on outsides of thighs..last night I returned to alternating side sleeping and my muscles are aching again..I am not a back sleeper too much hardware in the lower back..these aches and soreness are about 75 percent of my overall pain.. just wondering how long before these muscles get strong ?
I have also noticed I am struggling with remembering things I am writing everything down not to forget?
I had to retrain at work could not even think of the names of systems we use?!
Everyone friends family coworkers have stated several times that my face has changed from being withdrawn and pain showing to a calmer uplifting state... had to cut my hair again twice in the last few weeks..oh my my legs ..I have tried everything ... I simply cannot get rid of the dryness!
I consider all these symptoms a mild distraction which eventually I will overcome
Ailene
 
..I have tried everything ... I simply cannot get rid of the dryness!
I use straight coconut oil just out of shower when still wet.
Seems like it would be super greasy but my skin sucks it right up.
 
Colleagues and friends noticed the change in my face too… It feels like it de-aged around 10 years. You are doing very well and also are self-aware about the dangers. I work at a University and had my Crutch or Leki with me for quite a while as it stopped people bumping into me. We have quite a lot of tiled floors about and slipping on those is a big "no"! The stiffness for me continued for quite a while and I took paracetamol regularly at work to help. Hardly need it now but was very useful at the time… The new house visit sounds very exciting… I am sure you will be fine on the stairs!
 
I had a tough day at work yesterday to real
tears I am in my third week of 4..6 hours a day
Coworkers are accumated to seeing me everyday they seem to have forgotten I just went thru 2 surgeries. My walking has increased to longer strides and I try not to use the cane
Prior to my surgeries I was zooming around multitasking and handling multiple issues quickly I also was working a part time job.. serving at a local restaurant up to 4 nights a week at times.
There is a coworker that is due to have a baby on 9/10 they waited until I came back to take over her duties.. one of them is something I have never done and I am overwhelmed I am expected to keep my duties up and train to do this specific job all in 4.6 hours
I am still trying to retrain myself and haven’t settled in to a routine
Had ppl at my desk.. emails..phone calls and trying to spend sometime with this gal she could go into labor any hour!
The stress reduced me to tears..it sure doesn’t help my recoveries I came home around 130 had Medical Excercise and a Massage then proceeded to come home and go to bed
I go back to OS on 9/6 there is no way I can return back to work at full time depending on the way I feel at this point
Today I’m going to meet with supervisor I do not think she is aware of coworkers pushing me too much if this doesn’t work I will meet with HR
 
Oh my stars...just so much :console2:@Aline
Two major surgeries within a month and at appointment only three months from first.
The energy drain and the brain fog make part time rote duties a challenge...nevermind taking on new duties.
You certainly Must advocate for yourself, and all of the stress is not helpful.
Best of luck as you talk to your supervisor...
 
Today I am seeing OS for my 3 month on right..I still having all the aches and soreness but see difference with each week
I have been having a hard time with pain on my left outside thigh around knee and travels up to the buttock my Medical Excercise Nurse tells me its my illeptical band, there is swelling of the knee and above it I am unable to walk without the cane and have had to walk with my left foot on the inside if I put my foot flat and try to walk the pain is sharp and my knee buckles.. I have tried everything to keep it calmed down it has been about 10 days and quite frankly I’m exhausted from just moving from point A to point B. I work 5 hours and come home and rest. Hopefully I will get some answers today this is out of the “ norm “ of typical healing.
Ughh.. what a setback
 
Sorry to read of your struggles @Aline
I hope you get some answers and reassurance when you visit with your surgeon today.
Please let us know how your three month post op appt goes. Wishing you comfort and speedy relief.
 
@Aline I'm sorry, I've missed your last posts.. I hate that work has been so difficult. Good heavens, make them all sit down and watch a hip replacement surgery!
I thin you are referring to the Iliotibial Band and it can get so sore and tight. It's a real bear and it's a common complaint after a THR.
I wish you could take the middle day off from work, 2 days on and 1 day off would help you recover a bit.

One more thing,, I use a rolling pin to massage the lateral (outside) of my leg. Clear down to the outside of the knee.. it helps.. there are actually fitness tools that you can buy to help but a rolling pin is pretty much in everyone's kitchen.
Can't wait to hear your summary of your Dr appt.
 
He is overall pleased with both my recoveries a lot of trauma short amount of time.. I received a cortisone shot he will check up on me in a week MRI may be an option.. one day at a time..hopefully this will take care of it
I am not allowed to work no more than 6 hours a day.. my long term disability insurance will pay me the difference.. they only pay once a month I’m ok with that.
Thanks @CricketHip @Layla @Mojo333 i check back in few days
 
Wonderful to hear there is some relief, friend:loveshwr:
Do stay in touch.:yes:
 
Oh Aline my heart leaps for you a'bilateral' worse being a few weeks apart and returning to 2 jobs--sounds inhumane. I hope you get answers at the doc's today. I can't really add to all the sage advice here but is there a possibility to reduce your work load or as someone mentioned here doing stuff from home.And you have been alone in this. You really are something.May the journey be painless and swift. Keeping you in my thoughts.
 
I hope your doctor was able to come up with a plan to help you in terms of work, and also with the new and ongoing pains that are wearing you down. :console2: Most pains you are describing sound pretty common following hip surgery, but given that you have had 2 so close together most likely as you are recovering from this new one and getting more active, it is affecting other body parts (including the other, "almost as new"one).

I was surprised at one year out of having my right hip replaced that I began having pain in my left knee for the first time every in my life. Both the surgeon and the PT say that is common, even after you feel almost completely healed. As the body adapts to the new hip and improved functionality it spotlights other areas that had been compensating for the bad hip, or even other areas that had their own issues and were overshadowed by the hip problem. In my case, it appears to be something a few PT sessions to strengthen my knee/leg/hip muscles will take care of.

The ups and downs of recovery can make you feel a bit crazy at times for sure, but hopefully once you are able to get past the first 6-9 months, it's going to be a whole new world for you:) :flwrysmile:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
Back
Top Bottom