Revision TKR Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3

Well I can say this much; since the left leg was on the ground already, and the right leg slipped into a lunge; I have a very high garden tub....

1. Thank God I am tall
2. Thank God I am not a man or I would have sang soprano!:rotfl:
 
I have some very exciting news! I worked with a new trainer today who was a college swimmer and she taught me how to "scissor kick" while swimming. This is what most people do, but after knee replacements it is the hardest to perform because the legs want to bend. I learned a neat trick today to compensate for my knees that helps me glide through the water!:happydance:
 
It was very weird for me to scissor kick 7 months after my TKR. Even now I have to think about not bending my legs. It helps me to try and feel my legs/feet come out of the water. I miss swimming already, I need to find an indoor pool with hood air circulation.
 
It was very weird for me to scissor kick 7 months after my TKR. Even now I have to think about not bending my legs. It helps me to try and feel my legs/feet come out of the water. I miss swimming already, I need to find an indoor pool with hood air circulation.

Yes @KarriB

All my life I was an avid swimmer, but the right knee just refused to cooperate! That is when Ariana showed me how to use my quad muscles, and keep my toes pointed, and then the knee is given sweet relief again! I practiced for 2 1/2 hours just kicking up and down the pool today! I have regained my passion for swimming. When you are using your upper body and one leg a lot more than the other, fatigue sets in quickly. Today, I put my arms to my sides and concentrated on nothing but the motion of scissor kicking today! :happydance::yes!:
 
Great to hear Sonja. You'VE reminded me I have not been swimming since my knee replacements nearly 3 years ago! And I loved swimming. Had not thought about the scissor kick issue ... something to think about. Must get into a pool when I get back from Spain next week. Knees and back, I am happy to say, have done well on the first 90 km. of the Camino de Compostelo! We arrive in Santiago tomorrow. Did get some back spasms (surgeon said to get x-rays if they did not resolve) and the hips were not entirely happy with all that walking, but we are getting there!
 
Well I can tell a big difference! I was up at 6:00 cleaning, and finally had to make myself stop. I have energy again that is off the charts and I know I have to "pace" myself for awhile! Woohoo!:wowspring::happydance:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh by the way, I AM learning to slow down and not be a constant contact of the ODIC club!

I called Mission Fitness and said that although I had talked Dr. Z into letting me start exercising again today, I had decided to wait until Monday!

My knees have really enjoyed the different pace; so much so that the right foot is actually straight again! I kept pushing, and the knee never got the chance to balance out, so the heart stepped in and helped it!:heehee:
 
This sounds so great and is very encouraging. I am looking forward to my revision next week (butterflies). My hope is to be able to get back to the gym at some point also. I was at that point 3 months ago, walked alto worked out, then things started going south in a hurry. Thanks for the comment about swimming and keeping your leg straight trick. Like my original knee replacement 6 months ago , I have never had a revision. I am fortunate to have lots of great reassurance from the forum.
 
Well done Sonja, that's just wonderful news. I'm glad everything's worked out so well. Clearly your faith has kept you blessed and strong. Swimming is lovely and so is aquacise xxx such fabulous news. Congratulations xxx
 
This sounds so great and is very encouraging. I am looking forward to my revision next week (butterflies). My hope is to be able to get back to the gym at some point also. I was at that point 3 months ago, walked alto worked out, then things started going south in a hurry. Thanks for the comment about swimming and keeping your leg straight trick. Like my original knee replacement 6 months ago , I have never had a revision. I am fortunate to have lots of great reassurance from the forum.

@wberry

When I find things that help me I always try to pass them along especially on the revision knee. I can get in the water and forget I have a replacement; now I am coming to the place where I am almost forgetting I have a revision! It will happen and I will celebrate with everyone! People need to hear that you can get out and live again whether it is a replacement or a revision!:happydance:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom