TKR Still working on ROM

Hi Flashcat,
It's nice to hear from you, but I'm sorry it's under the circumstances of your ailing Left knee.
Try not to be terrified...easy to say, I know. At least you have experience enough to know what to expect and who knows, maybe the next one will be easy breezy and you'll zip right through it all. :wink: :thumb:

Glad you had a good time in New Orleans. Keep us posted, we're here for you!
@Flashcat
 
Hello Bonesmarties,
Had trkr 5/5/25. Now left knee is deteriorating and very painful. Getting a shot this week!
My question is:
Does anyone in BS admin or a TKR recipient have knowledge/information about the Jiffy Knee TKR procedure? I’m researching it but I'm finding mostly JK doctors saying it’s great or traditional tkr docs saying it’s a bad idea.

I’d have to travel as there are no JK docs in my state NC. I’m terrified to go through another traditional tkr surgery as I didn’t do well at all. I think it might do me in-this time! My husband thinks JK is a bad choice b/c travel, complications away from home, possibly just as traumatic for me, Etc! Any ideas are appreciated. Btw it’s a quad and other tendon sparring technique (similar but not exactly like the Subvastus Approach. JK has a smaller side of knee incision and the same robotics measuring for fit and surgical assist etc. it’s still major surgery of course with a little less slicing and dicing!
Thank you so much!!I’ll be rejoining the Bonesmart family asap!
Flashcat
 
Sorry you have to go through another surgery, but just think how much better you'll feel with two new knees!
Following is a link to a SEARCH (top right of page) of threads where Jiffy Knee was mentioned - HERE
Lots of comfort to you! :console2:
@Flashcat
 
These minimally invasive procedures developed out of techniques for partial knee replacement. They can be very successful with a great range of movement and a more natural feeling knee. However, they are more complex surgery and need a really expert surgeon who is very experienced in the technique. They also risk being oversold in terms of expectations. The term jiffy knee sounds like something that can be done and dusted "in a jiffy". It is still major surgery and needs a lot of careful rehab.
 
Yes! It is still major bone cutting surgery!! Bone pain is the kicker!
 
If you go in with the expiations that are realistic that will certainly help your recovery. Please don't be fooled by thinking you'll be hiking, biking and ready to run a marathon within weeks. That's absolute nonsense and you know it. Recovery takes time, as you know. Being realistic is your best bet for recovery.

We'll be here to help you along the way. Rest, elevation, and ice will be your mantra.
 
Yes, I’m still looking at all the research. I know traditional,JK and Subvastus (SP) are all going to be different for every knee and all very traumatic surgeries!!I had a terrible time with it. I knew so little going into it! I have very low expectations for any of them to be easy! I’d give anything to never have another one! If I can get relief any other way I will!
Thanks so much!
 
This is my first post here, and I hope I've done it right.

Flashcat --- I had never heard of the Jiffy Knee until I was reading about it on a Facebook group. Upon doing a search out of curiosity, my own surgeon has something in it in his blog/website.
He essentially says JK is a marketing phrase for subvastus approach. I can't post a link because I haven't posted often enough, and that's alright.

I am nine weeks post op on my robotic MAKO TKR and mine was subvastus, because the incision is not right down the middle, like 99% of the scars I have seen, and it is only six inches long.
When I asked the surgeon's PA about the location, she said it was to avoid cutting into the quads, so must be the subvastus.

That said, my body does NOT like joint replacement surgery, having all the muscles etc moved around and clamped down, then moved back in place. Recovery has not been fun and yes, I am slowly making progress, and my quads still go out and make me almost stumble if I don't focus on engaging them while walking. I use a cane when I leave the house for when this happens. I was off the opioids by the end of the eighth week, and I'm still on Celebrex to take the edge off the dull pain and discomfort. Just a very average TKR patient here. :-)

So there are no guarantees that either method will be the magic fix. Each knee and each person is different. And each surgeon is different. I hope this helps.
 
Last edited:
Hi alex_mom,
Thanks for joining us as an Insider and congrats on your surgery! It was thoughtful of you to share your knowledge of robotic surgery with Flashcat.

Since you're still early into TKR recovery at nine weeks, we'd like to share our Recovery Guidelines with you and offer you support and encouragement as you're healing. This can be a year long journey as you know through experience. Please join us by starting a thread and sharing your progress so we're able to cheer you on throughout your journey. I hope you have a great day! :SUNsmile:
@alex_mom

Following you'll find a link to start a thread - HERE
 
He essentially says JK is a marketing phrase for subvastus approach.
That is basically correct. I personally don't like the phrase Jiffy knee because I think it trivialises what is still major surgery and can oversell how supposedly simple it is.
 
This is my first post here, and I hope I've done it right.

Flashcat --- I had never heard of the Jiffy Knee until I was reading about it on a Facebook group. Upon doing a search out of curiosity, my own surgeon has something in it in his blog/website.
He essentially says JK is a marketing phrase for subvastus approach. I can't post a link because I haven't posted often enough, and that's alright.

I am nine weeks post op on my robotic MAKO TKR and mine was subvastus, because the incision is not right down the middle, like 99% of the scars I have seen, and it is only six inches long.
When I asked the surgeon's PA about the location, she said it was to avoid cutting into the quads, so must be the subvastus.

That said, my body does NOT like joint replacement surgery, having all the muscles etc moved around and clamped down, then moved back in place. Recovery has not been fun and yes, I am slowly making progress, and my quads still go out and make me almost stumble if I don't focus on engaging them while walking. I use a cane when I leave the house for when this happens. I was off the opioids by the end of the eighth week, and I'm still on Celebrex to take the edge off the dull pain and discomfort. Just a very average TKR patient here. :-)

So there are no guarantees that either method will be the magic fix. Each knee and each person is different. And each surgeon is different. I hope this helps.
 
Thanks Alex’s mom!
Sounds like you’re doing well! It’s a tough surgery either way! I like sparring the quad part!! All the best for a great recovery!
Flashcat
 
The subvastus approach has actually been around quite a while, but it's come back into favor now with some surgeons. There is a lot of competition for patients and so you'll see "Jiffy Knee" promoted as something "new and better." But it can be a bit trickier surgery and you have to be really sure that the surgeon does a lot of these procedures. Because they go in between the muscle layers to get to the knee joint, there is a lot more manipulation of soft tissue. If that's not done properly, it can result in additional post op pain. Surgeons these days do not usually cut the quad muscle. Instead, the muscle layers are teased apart to gain access to the knee.
 
Good information! Thank you Jamie!!
I got a cortisone shot for the no surgical knee but it still hurts!
 
I got a cortisone shot for the no surgical knee but it still hurts!
If you've never had a cortisone injection before, it can take up to two weeks to feel the full effect, Flashcat.
Initially there can even be a reaction, a flare, and it may feel even worse for the first day or two post injection. Not sure when you received the shot...
Hopefully you begin noticing some pain relief soon.

Following is an article form the BoneSmart Library - HERE
 
HAPPY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY!

I hope you're noticing a positive difference by now.
Take care and have a great rest of the week!
@Flashcat
 
Back
Top Bottom