Revision TKR Still having difficulty .... from Amberpep

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would still make a phone call. Here in Northern Ohio, many of the parochial high schools have an outreach program, and all of the seniors at many of the parochial high schools have to complete a service project to help others.

Perhaps they could do this for you?

It worked quite well for my parents, who needed some yard work done; four students showed up and took care of it at no charge.
 
I would still make a phone call
I agree with Tim, make the call. 50/50 chance you will get a positive response. The senior center may also have resources that can help.
Only a few days until you appointment, I hope the OS takes a good look at your knee and has some answers for you.
 
Yes, I see Dr. Murphy on Wednesday. He's very serious, thorough but serious. I'm not sure I've ever seen him really smile. I wonder if he might smile a bit when he sees the blue stripe I've had put in my hair. Probably not. Yea, I think the second opinion I get, depending on what he says, will be at a hospital in Hagerstown, which is easy enough for me to get to. Forget Baltimore .... I know Baltimore and D.C. may have "the best" but I also know by the time I got there I'd probably have a panic attack and need to wear Depends! No thanks.
I don't know what your community is like, but mine (Spring Ridge) is a community of condos, townhouses, regular houses and those mini-mansions. Well, when I moved in here it was a quiet peaceful community, no crime, people talked to each other, (excuse me) but no rif-raf. I've been here 10 years and since the economy went belly up and the prices of everything collapsed, a lot of people lost both their jobs and their condos or townhomes, so they rented them out. And, the city (Frederick) is slowly moving out our way ..... gangs, drugs, robberies, etc. Just this weekend we had a drive-by shooting 3 blocks from me ..... 2 young teen guys. The one who was shot is in shock trauma having lost a kidney. So, to say I wouldn't trust anyone I'd get is an understatement. It's very, very, different than 10 years ago and the trust just isn't there anymore.
Well, better go to bed. Morning comes early .... my dog and cat let me know "they want to eat."
abby
 
I think you have a good plan for a second opinion if your OS does not take you seriously. Not worth it if you have an anxiety attack just getting into one of the big cities.
Our neighborhood is about the same, we had a few forclosures, but not enough to change the neighborhood significantly. The town has a gang task force that has been very successful, everytime we get a new out of town police chief they want to disband it because we do not have a big gang problem. The city then explains it is because we have a gang task force, if you disband it we will have a big gang problem. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Best of luck for your appointment,
 
Our communities are very similar. I do hope you get some answers this week and look forward to your posts!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Discouraged ...... I went to my O.S. today, told him everything going on, and he had them take 3 x-rays. They looked just like before - fine. So, now he wants me to get a bone scan on that leg (radiation) .... he said that can pinpoint the exact spot where the pain is originating, and we could see more clearly if anything was loose, if there was infection, rheumtoid arthritis, or a TUMER!!!!! That last word scared the bejeebers out of me. He said if it shows infection, then we have to find out what type of infection it is in order to treat it. He said sometimes this can be tricky and take some time. I'm worn out ..... it poured going down, and coming home the streets were flooding. I was so glad to see my parking lot. It's an hour's drive each way and today it was about 1-1/2 hours. I don't feel like doing anything else .... just deal with the pain. I guess it makes sense and I should get the scan. And maybe go to the other doctor for a second opinion. I don't know ..... I'm just plum worn out right now and I'm not thinking straight.
abby
 
:console2: Sorry the OS visit was such an ordeal!

I think he's right, though. The only way to find out is to do further investigations. And if you do go for a second opinion, those further tests will help him/her as well.

Now, put your feet up, have a cuppa and spoil yourself for a while!
 
Good he is doing a bone scan, sounds like he listened to you. I would go ahead and get a second opinion, just to have confidence in what ever diagnosis you are given. No rush you can wait and have a rest before you go any further.
I had a bone scan, it is a low dose of radiation. The give you a shot with the dye it it, you can go out for a few hours (we had lunch), then return for the scan. Drink a lemon squeezed in water to help clear out the dye after the scan. My scan showed tons of inflammation.
Glad this is behind you, and thanks for the update, time for a little :sleep:.
 
Hi Pumpkin .... what did they do for your inflammation? What causes that? I'm wondering if those spills I took when I landed on my knees.
abby
 
Actually sounds like a good appointment. He listened to you and is taking action. It is a noninvasive test that might help him give you answers. Sorry it was such heavy rain for you though. I understand how difficult and exhausting that is! Take care!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Hi there .... yes, I'm becoming more inclined that it's inflammation rather than infection. Oh Vey, the rain .... for awhile I thought I may have to find another way home, so many roads were flooded .... fortunately not enough for the authorities to close them, but I see on the news that they are now. I'm going to call and make an appt. for the Bone Scan tomorrow. Yes, he did really listen and then felt it by trying to move it around.
abby
 
I'm going to call and make an appt. for the Bone Scan tomorrow. Yes, he did really listen....

Yay! That's what we like to hear! :yes!:

Hi Amberpep! I'm sorry you are having problems with your knee and you have many questions but few answers as to why it hurts. BUT....you are taking the horse by the reins so to speak and you are getting a bone scan. So that is one step in the direction of getting to the bottom of your mysterious, life altering symptoms. You know, it is a good thing that you are starting with the known and working your way to the unknown. You and your physician are going to rule out possible explanations for your pain by starting with this scan. I'd say you should proceed with all the appropriate diagnostics with this doctor and if you are unsettled about his proposed treatment plan, you have test results to share with another physician should you opt to get another opinion. So I'd say this is a good move.

As for needing in-home assistance, look in your telephone directory for Area Agency on Aging. This is a state agency with state funding (or it might be federal funding) that offers assistance to those who qualify and with little to no cost to the client. AAA can help with light housekeeping, meal preparation, transportation to the doctor, etc. If you do not qualify for this service, or if it is unavailable to you in your area, check with your local Department of Human Services and ask for references for a private sitter or aide. Explain to the caseworker that you live alone and that you need short term assistance after being discharged from the hospital. There may be services available to you that they can arrange to assist you both prior and after your surgery. Visiting Angels also offer excellent care options but it can be costly over a period of time. I had a family member who used this service and were more than pleased with the professional and individualized care that was given.

When you are in the hospital, you will have a discharge planner that is often a social worker. They will be able to set you up with services if needed.

I hope this helps and I hope you have a team that is working with you in finding a solution to your knee problems.
 
Abby, Glad to hear you are going to make that appt for your bone scan.
I had a flexion instability, two choices, wear a brace to stabilize the knee, or have a revision. I chose to have a revision. My lateral collateral ligament was all stretched out, and my medial collateral ligament was stretched. Leading to an unstable painful knee.
Keep us posted on how you are doing,
 
Pumpkin .... I think I'd make the same choice .... rather than wear a brace all the time. My knee is unstable, that's for sure ..... thus the "plops" on the floor. Getting up is the fun part .... over on all 4's, hold onto something, and get up ..... sort of like a hippopotamus.......lovely.
Were they able to see the problem with your ligaments using the Bone Scan? It sounds like these things are an excellent diagnostic test. I feel a lot better now that I went, and rested when I got home. Somehow, nothing seems as big and overwhelming ........ (yes, I'm a bit "off"). :loll:
abby
 
You could see how loose they were when the OS wiggled my knee back and forth, and with my knee bent big clunks as the joint came apart and went back together. Not the normal clunk people have, my knee gaping apart on one side type of clunk.
Ask if you can watch the screen during the scan, I could see it light up around my knee.
 
Is that possible to watch the screen? I've never had a bone scan before so I'm not familiar with anything about it. He did notice today that when he bent my knee, it clicks .... he commented on it, but didn't say anything about what that may or may not indicate. I'm hoping they can do the bone scan next week as that Saturday the 10th I am involved in a Celtic Festival in my city. It's a wonderful event and this is the first year we've had Celtic Authors, whom I had to contact and set it up with them to come. I can't walk around a lot, so I'll probably have a seat with the authors. I'd like to get the scan done next week so I'd know what's going on. That may be a little much to ask .... I guess I'm a bit impatient. I sort of want to know and do whatever has to be done. I hate to not be able to walk around and see everything, but next year. Can you tell me what goes on during a bone scan? I know they inject you with radiation (do you glow?). If I must wait 3 hours, I have no idea what I'll do. There's absolutely nothing out there but all doctor's offices. We call it doctor's row. It's about 2 miles of buildings full of doctors.
abby
 
Hi Sunflower ..... thank you so much for the encouragement and for the advice about getting some help. I guess it depends on what has to be done, if anything. I know if a revision, I will need help, but if it's inflammation or an infection, probably not. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how this all shakes out. I'm one of those people who, once I know something must be done, it's sort of "let's get on with it. Can we do it today?"
I'll keep ya'll posted.
abby
 
During the bone scan you basically lie down on a small table. Then a machine moves around you detecting where the dye has settled, usually in areas of increased metabolic activity, for us that would be inflammation.
They may be able to place the screen where you can see it, when I was on my back I could see the glowing around my knee. When they had me on my side I could not see the screen.
The clicking may indicate flexion instability, depends on what else he saw during the exam. He most likely will tell you what he thinks after he has the results from your bone scan.
The Celtic Festival sounds like a lot of fun, I hope you are able to sit and enjoy the festivities.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom