Revision TKR Still having difficulty .... from Amberpep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ct for bones , MRI for soft tissue.....very loosely!
MRI more expensive.
I am sure it is not this simple but......
 
CT scan uses radiation to image, can expose you to large amounts of radiation.
MRI uses high powered magnets, no exposure to radiation.
 
Abby,
How are you coming along preparing for you appointment? Seems you must have quite a list of questions for the OS. Hope it goes well.
 
Hi Pumpkin .... good to hear from you .... it's been quite a week. I've gone from panic about the drive, to having my sun do a dry run with me, to changing things and feeling more relaxed .... thankfully.
Well, I know not everyone will agree with this, but I think I told you that the woman who called me from the doctor's office in Baltimore, said "they prefer I see my original surgeon first." I was surprised, but it also was a bit of a relief (call me scaredy cat). So, I made an appt. with him and because I'm a regular patient, I got in this coming Weds. I also checked out one of the other hospitals and O.S.'s my Physical Therapist suggested and it is MUCH easier to get to. So, we'll see. Strange thing (and isn't this always the way), this knee has really been bothering me since I had the scar tissue removed about 9 months ago, and now ...... for about the last 5 - 6 days, nothing. No significant pain, yes I have to be careful about falling, and it's still considerably bigger than my other knee, but if it had been like this all along, I wouldn't have even given it a thought to go to a doctor. Sooooooooo, now I'm wondering if I should even bother to go. Oh boy, who'd have ever thought this was going to happen. I don't know what to do at all. Maybe I'll just go to my original O.S. and tell him all this and see what he thinks and says. I sound a little nuts! How are you doing? I see you had a revision just about a week ago. How are you doing from that. Was it the same doctor?
abby
 
My knee always felt better before I had an appointment. Even with out the pain, the swelling you have is not normal. Please see your OS and get his opinion, then get at least one more opinion to be sure you know what is going on. I am glad I got multiple opinions, each one had something to offer, the time and money spent was well spent. Be sure the OS runs a blood test for inflammation and infection, and some sort of imaging test for inflammation, or to detect loosening, you deserve a thorough evaluation, and some answers for your swelling and pain. If you cancel, you knee will start hurting again.
I no longer see my original OS, I went back to him after I had 3 opinions looking for and explanation, he gave me a song and a dance, so that was it for him. It took me 4 second opinions before someone was able to identify what was going on, that is who I had do my surgery.
My knee is doing as expected, we had a big barometer drop today, so it is pretty unhappy about that.
 
How are you doing after your revision surgery? Do you have anyone with you to help you? Did it hurt more than the other one, since they usually do bone grafting? I really run into trouble in that area .... all of my kids live about 4-5 hours away, except for my son who lives in Alexandria, VA, about 1-1/2 hrs. away. He's rarely home as he works very long hours - he's a Patent Lawyer in D.C. When I came home after the TKR, a girlfriend from PA came down for a week, but once she went home, I was alone. My son came for a few weekends and grocery shopped, which I appreciated. But I live on the 2nd floor of a condo, and it was really hard doing much of anything. When I asked my original O.S. why he thought I developed so much scar tissue, one of the reasons he told me was doing too much too soon. (gulp) I know exactly what you mean about the barometric pressure dropping ... that makes my other knee hurt too .... I'm sure that has arthritis in it, but I'll have to be dragging myself across the floor with my arms before I consider another TKR, mostly because there's no one around to help.
Yes, that knee is a good bit bigger than the other one. I don't have "pretty" knees anyhow, but now it looks sort of like a lumpy soccer ball! So, we'll see what my O.S. says and go from there.
abby
 
I am doing fine after the revision, except for this barometer drop, it is 29.67 right now, ouch!
My husband is home with me, he is doing a wonderful job taking care of me, we have our moments, they are over quickly. I have a brother who in a pinch will help.
The surgery was a lot more, I had scar tissue removed, I feel twinges here and there, figure it is from where they removed the scar tissue. I am trying to balance keeping moving with rest ice elevation and medication, and let this knee heal.
Glad you are going to see the OS and get to the bottom of what is happening.
 
Those drops in barometric pressure are killers. Wow .... I think I do a better job at predicting the weather than the weatherman! I'm glad your surgery worked out so well. Did you say you had the revision after the scar tissue was removed? I wonder if that has anything to do with needing a revision? You're so fortunate you have your husband to help you out. That's my dilemma. Except for my girlfriend in PA coming for a week, that's about it. I was surprised because even my church didn't bring meals..... a little disappointing.
Tell me, do you have any trouble with balance? It's not like balance in my head, or dizziness, it's when I'm moving around working, if I'm not careful I fall. My P.T. told me it's getting used to a different type of knee compared to the natural one. I do tend to do things rather "schushlick" (PA Dutch), and I just can't do that anymore. But, old ways are hard to break. I flopped on the floor again this AM making my bed. I fell on my tuckus, which has plenty of padding, but still, it's scarey. Makes me think I should get one of those "Lifecall" things or whatever they're called.
My appt. with my original surgeon is Weds. ..... of course in my mind I'm sure he will say "nothing is wrong, you're fine, it's just healing."
I better go ..... helicopters are circling all around here right now .... that usually means something is going on in D.C. ..... always makes me nervous. Take care and I'll talk with you again soon.
abby
 
Abby, make sure you let your doctor know about your distress---this is not a good time to think, "I don't want to bother him." If you downplay your pain and distress--he will brush you off.

Emphasize what you cannot do---tell him about your anxiety and distress---your pain is real and limiting your life right now. Also, it is NOT normal to have a knee that is twice the size of the other one!!! Do not let him brush you off---you need help and he is the first step in getting it. Ask him for a referral to a revisionist if he tries to brush you off. Kelly
 
Thanks much Kelly .... I appreciate your input. I do tend to minimize things, I know that. I've written down a list
so hopefully I don't forget anything. The doctor's office in Baltimore told me that he was considered an excellent O.S. and revisionist. I'm tired of thinking about this and wondering all those same questions .... who will come once I'm home? how will I handle food other than Lean Cuisine's? what about laundry? and cleaning? and the mail? That is IF I even need a revision. It's not much fun living alone at times. Normally I like it, but at times like this, it stinks.
abby
 
Abby,
I agree with skigirl, be sure the OS knows what is going on, if you downplay your symptoms he will look no further, and you will still be miserable.

Did you say you had the revision after the scar tissue was removed?
Only one surgery, the revision, scar tissue was removed during the revision.
I would be very disappointed in your church, have you looked for a new one?
We had helicopters overhead when my brother lived in the SF area, they ended up 2 doors down chasing a motorcycle. When we saw the helicopter we went inside and locked the doors.
We are near a military base, they use our neighborhood to practice low flying urban maneuvers a couple times a year.
 
Hi again ... usually around here when helicopters are circling it means somethings going on in D.C. I was disappointed in my church .... I won't deny that. But, it's the only one of it's kind around here .... for another one I'd have to drive down close to either Baltimore or D.C. It's Western Orthodox, and it's only 5 years old
so it's small. We all live pretty far from each other .... that's how I rationalize it I guess. Here I am worrying about that already and I don't even know if that's what's needed. Maybe it's not. My kids are pretty much involved in their own lives (except for the middle one who is very thoughtful) that they just see Mom as being "fine." Well, Mom is getting older and isn't always "fine." They want me to move down there, but I don't want to. My oldest daughter actually said, "just think how much easier it would be for us when you got really old." Hmmmmmm ...... I wonder if she ever thought how that sounded to me.
I don't understand why this pain is so alleviated ..... here's it's been since the scar tissue removal 9 months ago that it's really bothered me, to the right of my kneecap, sometimes the top, and when I sit with my feet up there is an annoying ache down the right side of my calf. And the there's the balance thing. I go down steps with my right leg turned to the side because it feels better that way.
abby
 
We belonged to a Unitarian church when Bob had a heart attack---not one person helped up and when I asked to borrow a crib since my kids were coming, they said, "It is out in the garage, pick it up whenever it is convenient."

I did stand up in church and tell everyone how disappointed I was in the lack of help. They began a "caring and concerns committee".

We have since joined an Episcopalian church and they were awesome when I had my surgery---they brought meals for 10 days and drove me to pt until I could drive.

I think this is an interesting problem---we need an "Angie's List" of old people who will help one another. Have you tried the senior center? Also, Bob and I called the high school guidance counselor and she suggested a young man who needed money. He mows the lawns, rakes, etc--has become part of our family. I have him grocery shop, run errands in my car---he is wonderful and we pay him $8 an hour. (and we lent him our car for prom--such a nice kid---it was the cleanest it has ever been when we got it back.)
 
Abby,
I know seniors who have moved to be nearer their kids, it has worked out very well.
The challenge of moving where your kids are, is that they may not stay there, so many people move every year.
Not sure why your balance is so off, a PT should be able to evaluate what is causing your falls, weakness, poor proprioception (position sense), coordination, inner ear problems, instability, medications (maintaining too low a blood pressure), etc.
Looking forward to hearing what your OS has to say about your knee.
 
skigirl ..... isn't it interesting? The places where we're to go for and expect help often fall short .... amazing. When my then husband, and our kids moved to MD, shortly afterwards my mother died of alcoholism, and at that time we were attending a Church of the Brethren Those folks really take care of each other. The pastor came right over, took our house key and, believe it or not, he and his wife took care of our cat, and ...... when we came home, our refrigerator was stuffed with food, there were cards everywhere in the house, and a candle sitting on our kitchen table. And, on my pillow in our bedroom, was a big bag of M&M's I know put there by a dear sweet friend. That is how we should be, and that's how the Brethren are. It made a huge impact on me and I'll never be able to thank them enough.
Hi Pumpkin ..... you know, I never thought of medication. Thank you for mentioning that. I do take quite a few, among them 4 psychotropics. Before I left my X husband, I had a breakdown, thus the 4 meds. Hmmmm ..... you've really given me something to think about. Thank you. I also take a cholesterol drug and one of the meds. I take causes essential tremors, meaning the med. itself makes your hand shake when you try to write or do anything fine. So, then there's a med. for that. It is quite a load and who knows how they may interract. Good idea.
My kids all live sort of "out there" compared to here. It's pretty rural and you have to go to Charlottesville, VA to find much activity. They love their "out there" lives, but I wouldn't anymore. There was a time, yes, but no more.
Again, thanks for the idea ..... just never thought of that.
abby
 
I guess I am one of the lucky ones---I belong to a medium-sized Methodist Church---and the people there are amazing. they have reached out to me after my BTKR, as well as at other times---and the pastor came to visit me on a regular basis during recovery (I had just taken pain meds one time, and he came over---I fell asleep then:sleep:!) I understand, though, that, while people say that they care, it is the people that actually have to do something---many times, everybody is thinking that somebody else will do something, and nothing gets done.

Have you tried the senior center? Also, Bob and I called the high school guidance counselor and she suggested a young man who needed money. He mows the lawns, rakes, etc--has become part of our family. I have him grocery shop, run errands in my car---he is wonderful and we pay him $8 an hour. (and we lent him our car for prom--such a nice kid---it was the cleanest it has ever been when we got it back.)

I think that this is an excellent idea---we heat our home with a woodburner, and there was no way that, after my BTKR, my wife could bring in the wood that needed to bee brought in, so we also hired a student; he came over at least twice a week and brought in fire wood, and helped around the house with some other chores, too.
 
You are really, really fortunate. I did go to the Sr. Center one time, and I really don't mean this to sound unkind, but they were all sort of like little old ladies and men (acting and thinking) and all they talked about was their aches and pains and what their latest surgery was and how much "worse" theirs was than their neighbors. Many had that "blue" hair, if you know what I mean and just appeared old and worn out. I am not and don't want to become like that. I believe you feel the way you think, act, and look, and that ain't me. In fact, right now I have a blue stripe in my hair!
You can't seem to get a highschooler around here to do anything for you. When we have a heavy snow, you would think they'd be looking for money and offering to shovel your car out (I'm in a condo and the main part of the road is plowed), but they're nowhere to be found. They could make a good bit of money in these condos with all of us who aren't spring chickens anymore wanting someone to help. But, they're not around. Strange.
But, it is what it is ..... life goes on.
abby
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom