Revision TKR Still having difficulty .... from Amberpep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone .... the passed several weeks have been a nightmare. I do have to have a revision, and then it started. The doctor explained to me why the DePuy did not fit right. He recommended a Zimmer gender-specific prosthesis. So then it started. The hospital is almost in D.C., almost 1-1/2 hours away in traffic, my son can't take me (it might interfere with one of his trips, which I thought he meant for work, but NO, he means one of his backpacking trips!). Wow, that made me feel important. He also could 't take my dog for me for the same reason. My daughter who works (part time) and has no children couldn't come up (lives in VA) and take me because the store she works at is having a sidewalk sale. Oh boy, am I ever special! So, at that point, I had no one to take me to the hospital or to the rehab. home, or back home again, let alone help me there for a bit and help me with my dog and cat. I live on the 2nd floor, so how I'm going to walk the dog is totally out there to me. Hearing about this, unbelievably my X-husband called me and said he would be glad to take my dog for however long I needed him to. God bless him. And after a week or 2 my daughter called and she's coming up on a Monday night, taking me Tuesday morning, and leaving right after she drops me off to take my dog to her Dad's also in VA. It's miserable not having any brothers or sisters, or parents, or anyone - including aunts, uncles and cousins when you need help. My family was so small and except for my kids, I am the only one left. So, at least I have a way to get there .... after that, who knows. I'll just have to take one step at a time. I'm not sure of the date yet, but I should know this week.
Ya'll take care,
abby
 
You have me a little confused (it doesn't take much by the way). You said you don't have a date yet but your daughter is coming up to drop you off. Is that just for a doctors appointment or are you having surgery?

Just try and take it one day at a time. If it came down to it I would have taken a cab to and from the hospital. Hopefully though one of your children or even you ex can bring you home after rehab. Is there a patient advocate or social worker available to talk to?

It is good though that you are moving forward with your revision. Let me know how you make out with your plans and how you are doing.
 
Hi Jozilla .... no, my daughter has Mondays and Tuesdays off, and since I know he does surgery on Tuesdays, she'll be able to come up Mon. night and take me Tues. and then take my dog to her Dad's in VA. I might take a cab to the rehab center, but with the distance, it would be about $70. The hospital balks at doing that, but if I must I will. Everyone lives about 4 hours away in VA but my son lives about 1 hour away.
abby
 
Abby,
I am blowing steam out my ears that you children cannot help you with a major surgery. :sigh:
Ask the hospital about medical transportation to rehab?? You can compare the cost to a taxi.
Just glad you are moving forward with your revision.
Thanks for the update.
 
Hi Pumpkin ... it was good to hear from you. Admittedly, I am disappointed in my kids. At least one of them is coming up for an overnight to take me to the hospital in the morning. That will be about 5 AM that we'll have to leave here. Then she'll leave right away and head to my place to get my dog and take her to my X's. I am noticing how self-centered many kids are these days, including my own. I know my 3 didn't see this type of thing. When our parents needed help, either my X or I were there, and that was also 3 hours away. I just want to get this done, over, and get back home. I know I'll be alone, but at least I won't feel discarded and unimportant. The strange thing is, both my girls are trained Social Workers in Nursing Homes, so they know what this surgery is like. Oh well.
How are you doing? Do I remember that at one point you had a partial knee replacement, or am I think of someone else? I was going to ask what a partial was. Do you know?
Well, again, it was so good to hear from you. Take care, my friend ....
abby
 
I am glad on of the kids is going to help. Same with my DH and I, we are always there as best we can for our parents. I work with younger people, many of them are there for their parents when they are needed, so not all of the younger generation is selfish.
I had a total replacement, and now recovering from a revision 3 months ago.
A partial is when they replace one compartment, medial, lateral, or patella, leaving healthy knee alone. They tend to last around 10 years. Celle had partial, then had it revised to a total after about 10 years or so.
Looking forward to hearing about your surgery date.
 
I am so glad you are moving forward! That is the most important thing. Once you have recovered you can look forward to a less painful life! My hospital would also provide transportation to the rehab hospital. When you get your surgery date check with them! This is hard to do alone but doable. Remember we here to help you out! (((Hugs)))
 
Thank you Jozilla ..... Pumpkin ... what was your recovery like after your revision? Was it about the same as your original or different? My problem is that the DePuy was slightly too large for my knee area, which I understand is the typical reason for revisions. If this is so widely known, why do doctors continue to put them in, especially women? This time I'll most like get a Zimmer gender specific prosthesis. Why wasn't that done in the first place?
Seems very strange to me.
abby
 
I have my appt. with my Ortho. Surgeon tomorrow. Since he sent me to the other Ortho. Surgeon for a second opinion, that's what I'm taking back to him tomorrow. If he is willing to go with the other drs. recommendation, the Zimmer gender specific prosthesis, I'll stick with him. If not, I'll go back to the second one. I will be soooo glad when this is all over and I can start the healing process. So, we'll see what happens tomorrow. That will pretty much decide it.
abby
 
Will be interesting what he says. I would tend to go with you second opinion, you old OS may not have experience with zimmer. Be sure to ask.
Let us know how it goes.
 
Hi friends ..... well, the day of doctors is over. Went to my internist this AM for a fasting blood test, then down to my Ortho. Surgeon. I won't go into everything he said, showed me, or explained as it would take half the page, but he aspirated my knee again, is sending it into D.C. to an Infectuous Disease Specialist to thoroughly check it for infection of any sort. This started 2 years ago when I had an intestinal parasite from lettuce I had eaten .... the kind from one of those bags. Anyhow, either way I'll be having revision surgery. I asked him about revision surgery and he described why it would be different ..... longer recovery, and more pain. I know how I'll get to the hospital, but that's all I know. I'll worry about each step when I come to it. Talk to you all tomorrow ..... I'm exhausted.
abby
 
@amberpep Sounds like you've had a rough time of it! If you contact a local church they may be able to help you with the ride situation. Glad you found someone to help with your dog. One less worry. I hope all goes well for you.
 
@amberpep Sounds like you've had a rough time of it! If you contact a local church they may be able to help you with the ride situation. Glad you found someone to help with your dog. One less worry. I hope all goes well for you.
You might also look into whether there is some sort of volunteer program for seniors. I know our town has something called RSVP which is a program where seniors volunteer to do service and one of the things they do is drive fellow seniors to appointments.
 
My town also has a program for seniors. .35 cents one way. It's a great service.
 
Thank you so much for this suggestion. I looked into this when I had my first time through with the TKR, and, I don't know if it's because of where I live or not, but the only thing there was at the time was Meals on Wheels. I will check into it again though ...... maybe things have changed. Thanks for reminding me.
I live outside of D.C. and people, even out here, are different. It's not nearly as bad here as down in the city, but people don't offer or volunteer to help like they do in small towns. Like I said, it's not as bad out here, but a lot of people who lived in D.C. have now moved out this way to get out of the city, changing the whole feeling of the formerly peaceful and polite county.
abby
 
Take care Abby. I am hoping you get some help!
 
@amberpep We were stationed at Andrew AFB from 1983 to 1987. Loved the museums. Hated the crime. We were lucky to live on base most of the time there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom