TKR Starting to wish I'd never had a knee replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will all be glad to hear how well you over the weekend.
Be gentle with yourself!!!
 
it's hard for me as I live alone and being in the house by myself drives me crazy
I live alone and have never considered it 'hard' on any event, except perhaps for opening stubborn jars!
Have you ever heard the saying "it's mind over matter"? Loosely translated (for this situation) into "if you don't mind, it doesn't really matter"! That's the attitude I adopt. You should try it too! :)
 
Hi Linda and welcome to the best place you could have come to this is th site where I started my recovery and understanding of how it all works. I am now in my seventh month and like you I really wished at the beginning tha I had never had this surgery. My leg coming home from the hospital was really not that sore just really heavy and tight. I had more pain in the back of my knee and had no idea how things would feel. The day that the pt came to my home for the first time second day out of the hospital I started to find my leg was more swollen and then it started to get really sore. Pt makes you feel that you are not going to get better if the pt that you have is not patient and understanding about how you are feeling. My leg is now feeling more like my own only difference is that it is no longer sore like it had been for over 10 years and feels so much more stable. I am bending at around 90 degrees and this is the best that I may get but living comfortably and able to do just about what I need to . I have just finished my leg massage therapy which my surgeon suggested when I was at 8 weeks and it really helped to loosen the scar tissue and make my feel more comfortable both mentally and physically now just going to live and now so very happy that I went through the surgery and how far we have all come. My surgeon mentioned to me a couple of weeks ago when I was getting ready to go home after the leg massage that the results after letting your knee have a break from all of the pushing often end with the knee finding its own way and actually often moving better on its own time. Hope you are doing well and from my experience telling you that it will get better and someday like me you will be happy that this type of surgery can help improve yor quality of life. Also thanking all of the wonderful supportive kind people who I have met on the bonesmart site for all of the kindness when feeling like It will never get better and they were right it does. Wishing you the best and hoping you feel better. Holly:) :puppysmooze: :kittykiss: :happydance:
 
lavender when you start to notice a big inprovment in your knee? How far along were you/
 
lavender when you start to notice a big inprovment in your knee? How far along were you/
I had a BTRK six years ago, and my recovery was longer than I anticipated it to be---which is normal for most, I guess.

For what it is worth, I never notices big improvements. I did, however notice little tidbits of progress here and there. Success in a TKR recovery is measured often in tiny advancements. At five months, when I returned to umpiring HS and college baseball games, I still had a tiny little limp. At six months, I would say that I was at about 80%-85%; it was not until eight months that I was around 90%95%. Never once did I say, "Wow---that was a big jump in what I can do."

That being said, though, I am very, very glad that I had the BTKR,as my life now is so very much better than what it was even seven or eight years ago!

Recovery is not a six-lane super highway---it more like traveling in a Conestoga wagon. You will reach your destination, but in a slower pace than you would like it to.
 
.Hi judgar Like referee said the changes for me were gradual small a little at a time . It seemed to take forever for the pain to slow down didn't honestly think it would ever get better. I actually think that the change took place more into my 8th week it was getting really expensive getting around in cabs for appointments and I commented to my surgeon at 8 week appointment that I thought if I could drive again it would really help. Got frustrated knowing my husband was having to run around so much and doing it all himself he said he didn't mind but how different I felt when the time to drive was approved seemed to take the step towards making me so much more content. I was told that the bend for me would probably stay around 90 degrees and in the early days of pt wondered why no matter how hard I tried and how much wanted it to go the way they expected at pt it just didn't seem to work. The other positive thing was when I started to go for massages on my leg the guy doing them was really patient very positive very encouraging and although they could get a little uncomfortable always told I was doing great and not to compare myself to others pointed out the positive things about the bend and never supposed to let it become painful this was a thing I am so very grateful the surgeon suggested. We can't compare our progress with others as we all move along at our own pace and the suggestion by the surgeon concerning the replacement on my other knee is that the approach prescribed will be very gentle no pushing and he said that he now understands that my leg rather then benefiting from the pt was damaged more. I was also very emotional through the whole process feeling guilty and actually told my husband that we should consider selling the car we had bought 2 years before after waiting 10 years to buy it not believing I would drive again. Just be patient with your self and things will turn around for you hoping that you continue to get better and that the whole process turns out wonderful for you Holly
 
Progress, progress, progress
Have been taking it every easy this last week, and i think it is paying off. I also have been only doing the exercises that Josphine recommended. Friday i was able to bend my knee 95 degrees, monday 97 degress, and today a whopping 102 degress...on the exercise bike today at physical therapy i was able to peddle all the way around (had to lift up just a lil, but i did it). I know i am a lil obsessed about the degrees. Today i did, well tried to do a new exercise, step downs...that is exactly what i did stepped down-no control what so ever, guess that will take time. Well thats all for now, a better week, thanks for listening everyone :)
 
Good for you!!! See.....less really IS more when you're talking about TKR recovery. Just don't let yourself fall prey to thoughts that you need to hurry. Let your knee tell you when it's ready to increase activity and add exercises. If it hurts, it's too soon. And make those increases gradually over several days.

I know it seems like FOREVER to get this done. But you want your knee to be the best it can be. And that means allowing it the time it needs to heal "peacefully" and not in an "angry, irritated" state. It does sound like this approach works for you, so just insist to all who might try to push you that you prefer to continue gentle PROGRESS like you have going now!
 
Hi Linda ... So glad to hear that reducing your exercises have helped you enormously. One day I hope to be able to say I have made progress too. AND a few revolutions on a bike :bicycle1: - I can't wait for that day. Well done you.

You sound so much easier in yourself and happier. That is a great thing. I am so pleased for you. Hope everything continues now to go well for you and improve bit by bit.

Have a great day / night (never sure of time differences).

Ellen :flwrysmile:
 
Ellen, you will get there, you will. Just like all who were before us they got there when it was their time. Patience the one thing we are told to have, which many of us lack. Btw its night time here :)
Oh, i took a boxing class before n i loved it, somwthings had to be modified becaue of my stupid knee, but once i recover maybe i will take another class n not have modifications :dancy: also i am still using a cane and i cant see myself not using it. My knee sometimes buckles. I am so scared that when i stop using it that i will go down.
 
Referee54 i loved the article, when i saw the time line i laughed...how true how true to the time line n the article
 
At the hospital...had the nurse take the picture, because i was not ready to look at it yet
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Starting to wish I'd never had a knee replacement
    CAM00085-1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 223
Week #1
I look like i was hit by a bus, then a car, then a bike, then luke i feel down a flight of stairs...oh the pain i was in then
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Starting to wish I'd never had a knee replacement
    CAM00100.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 249
Week #2
Staples out, boy did that hurt...i thought or was hoping that when the staples were removed the tight feeling would go away, we all know that didn't happen
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Starting to wish I'd never had a knee replacement
    CAM00121-1.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 214
Looking good!:)
 
**** i think i may have over did it today (shopping/couponing), i know i did, but i could not help myself. Knee hurts n is very tight :beg:
 
Don't worry about it! We have all been there and hit the "over done it button." For what it is worth, my learning curve in this area was quite a bit longer than many others!

Just ice, elevate, and rest, and your knee will forgive you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom