TKR Starting to wish I'd never had a knee replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will just chime in here too---it is a lonnng process and you cannot rush that process. I am an athlete and I was sure I would bounce back right away. I was wrong too----it took me the same amount of time as everyone else!!!
 
I will just chime in here too---it is a lonnng process and you cannot rush that process. I am an athlete and I was sure I would bounce back right away. I was wrong too----it took me the same amount of time as everyone else!!!
Me, too--I found out that, no matter how much I thought of athletic conditioning, I had to find out that this was totally different.
 
Hey Linda Lady ... just checking in to see how you are going today. Hope things are going not too badly for you. I do think of you and as we are reasonably close in our dates, I look to see what your progress is like.

I am 8 weeks tomorrow and currently only have a bend of approx. 75degrees. So :hairpulling:

Take Care Linda and be really kind to yourself. I know how hard it is to be patient, but I guess it is what we have to be for now.

xoxo Ellen :flwrysmile:
 
Wow Linda!

ODIC club for sure! daughter stalker, says she is president, but I would argue that point! I have been rehabbing my knee revision for over 19 months now, and I am FINALLY getting back to normal! I was stubborn, and thought the more "I" do, the better it will be! Well, if I had stopped my stubbornness and really thought about it, I would have been finished at a little over a year w PT. :doh:

Now, I am graduating from PT, and I am living life to the fullest! But it takes time and "patience!" :heehee:
 
Ladylinda, How is the recovery coming? I have read the whole thread. Im pre op and almost certain I will over do my recovery but after reading your thread I doubt I will. In my head I think I can recover faster because im "young" and a athlete. Physically im a horse. 6 ft 3 inch about 250lbs solid but that may work against me. Thats alot of weight to lift out of bed and haul to PT. up and down stairs. Etc. Thats why im going to the gym religiously. And im 60 days away from rtkr. I wasnt aware of the ODIC. I will try my best not to be in that club. I will suscribe to netflix and maybe HBO and watch youtube and read this forum during my recovery.
Gosh your recovery sounds very rough . Are you still taking pain meds ? You must be close to 12 weeks out. In hindsight would you have followed the mantras step by step in the beginning ? Also how are you elevating your knee ? Seems like alot of people are doing it wrong. This maybe a concern for me. !!! Staying home doing nothing but recovering shouldnt be a problem,especially in February. Here in northern California the weather should be raining. Well linda. Keep us posted. Very intersting thread indeed.
 
I promise I am done with over doing it as I sit in this wheelchair in the ER waiting for the results of all my test. So today I was couponing, (1 store and I was in an electric scooter). Well my 4th hour of shopping, I was in extreme pain, like the day after surgery. I couldn't even lift my leg! The cashier had to follow me to my car and lift my leg into the car for me, she didn't go slow. I screamed and started to cry. Got home called my doctor he told me to go to ER to make sure I do not have a blood clot. Ultrasound said no blood clot.

Waiting on results from x rays. Doctor said he thinks I pulled a muscle in my calf. It hurts so bad when I move it that I have scream/cry hysterically and shoot. Ok...doc just said xrays are fine and that I just over did it. Man I am going to take it so easy I'm only getting out of bed to urinate, I am done with the odi (over did it) club, I promise you that!
 
I don't think I have overdone it to that extreme, but I know that overdoing it is an easy thing do to if you are like me. You will probably over do it again to a smaller extent and will learn slowly to back down. Please take care and keep us updated on your progress. :console2: :xmas-win:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Starting to wish I'd never had a knee replacement
@lindaladyishere , I know this is hard to do---but do try it on for size. There was never any need to end up where you are today, but some lessons are learned the really, really had way. I am so sorry that you are in so much pain. So lets rest, elevate (toes above nose) and ice a lot, and take pain meds on a schedule. Reduce activity as much as possible---if no one will die if it isn't done----DON'T DO IT!

Please take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Starting to wish I'd never had a knee replacement
 
Josephine is showing superhuman restraint.

If my DH were posting he would not hesitate to use one of his favorite phrases: "Keep doin' what you're doin' and you'll keep gittin' what you got!"

Also apropo, one of my favorites: "Doing the same thing repeatedly with an expectation of different results is one definition of insanity."
 
Well tomorrow i go see my OS, my PT thinks hemay rrecommend the manipulation as im bending under 100 degrees, she says i have an extreamly lot of scate tissue built up. She says thats why my knee feels so stiff n tight. A couple of days ago the doctors office called me to tell me to only take the pain pills when i really really need them n that i should be. weining off them now (in so many words). will know more tommow, but at this point i welcome a manipmanipulation cause i cant stand the tight stiff feeling, still waiting to see the results i thought i was going to get after the tkr
 
Hi Linda ... good luck with your visit to the OS. I am another who is having trouble with obtaining enough bend in the knee. Unfortunately, it still hovers around 75-80 after 9-1/2 weeks.

With the tightness and stiff feeling, I am unsure whether manipulation will make this disappear. I have read stories on here of Bonesmarties who have good flexion, but still the tightness and stiffness. Mine appears to be slowly moving down and now instead of encircling the entire knee, has moved down to just under the knee. I see my OS again at end of January and am still unsure whether I might even request a manipulation. I am desperate to get back on the exercise bikes and ride them properly and also to drive. I can get in the car, but pushing clutch up and down is not possible.

Linda, I hope the road ahead is a bit smoother for you and recovery starts to occur with a bit more regularity. I also wish you the best in the festive season and a happy, healthy and safe 2014.

Hugs ... Ellen:reindeer:
 
OS didnt recommend manipulation. I have to return to work on the 20th. When OS asked me was i better than before tge surgery i said no, he said what was the surgery for..so i wouldnt be in pain n could walk without pain, he says to remove the arthritis, which was done. Says bending at 100degrees is doing at this stage in my recovery n that i have to keep working at it. Asked him about the constant pain i am having,
he couldnt answer as it wont show up on a x
ray. He kind of shut me down, n i was not able
to tell him everything that i am going
through...im tired of crying, tired of not being
able to bend it, or do the things i could do before, n i am so over the daily pain. I know i know it takes time, n i have had progress, but i guess i am not as strong as i thought i was, i feel so sad n depressed, this is the hardest thing i have ever went through in my life :(
 
TY Netballknees.....your words r always so kind....alot of my pain is below my knee on the on the side of my surgical knee, its a costant pain, even some slight movement can cause pain. I also have sharp pain on the inside of my lnee, and of course the sharp pain on the back of my knee, it feels like a painful straight line that goes completely across the back of my knee when doing certain exercises or when im moving around. PT rhinks most of this pain is from all that scar tissue i have PT said today she does not think she can do anything more for me, as everything has been done n im not making any more progress. Its been almost two days since ive taken any pain meds since my doctor office made me feel like a drug addict. I most admit the first day without them i know i went through some withdrawal, i know thats what cause my body to feel so acky. Well taking it one day at a time n using much ice
 
Dear Linda,

Get some well needed rest and enjoy the holidays. Please stay away from the shopping malls. :yikes: Internet shopping is okay. I feel for you as I have dealt with many days of overdoing things and still do. Learned how to back off after a few major overdoing it sessions. I know if I rested more that I would not have had as many issues as I did. Ice and elevate toes above nose. :thumb:

You don't need the PT to get the ROM. Do it on your own or find someone else who is willing to work with you. Talk to your family physician about pain meds since your OS decided not to continue your pain meds. I wish there was a way to give you some of my leftover meds. I didn't use all of mine as I stopped regularly taking them at 12 days. I only took them on occasion afterwards. I am on Celebrex and have been for years. It helps me. I still have stiffness and am still waiting for the day that I can honestly say that I am happy that I did the TKR. It is slowly getting better. I am a little over 6 months now. You can't rush it. I was at the same point you are now at your point. It takes time. Lots of time.

I hope you had a great Christmas and my wish for you is to have a marvelous new year!
 
Oh Linda - my heart goes out to you. I totally understand your frustration and emotions and am so sorry you are crying so much. I don't know what to think of some OS. They replace the knees and to some of them, that is it. They do not seem really interested in what their patients are experiencing. Mine said, "I've done my job - now you do yours". You are so much younger than I am and it must be so much more frustrating.

I know what I would like to say about the people in the doctor's office but I won't make you blush. How can they make people who are in pain and need medication to stay on top of things feel like addicts???? It is wrong. But I don't think you should have stopped them abruptly like that. It certainly won't help how you feel about things. Couldn't you go back on them and start a phased program leading to giving up? But only if YOU feel you do not need them as much.

Linda, I certainly hope that some time in the very near future you start to see some light at the end of the tunnel and gain some respite from the pain and start to feel a bit better within yourself.

Healing and loving hugs ... Ellen:flwrysmile:
 
So i went to see a chirocause my back has been all stiff and acky, long story stort he told me about super pulsed laser therapy, which his office offers, will tell me more about it tomorrow. He says it can reduce scar tissue. I cannot receive that treatment till im discarged from pt, which will be in a week or two. Then he

saw me walk n said thete is no way i should be walking the way im walking n i just had a knee replacement (thank u, i know, but let my OS tell it im doing good ( bull ****)). well does anyone know about that treatment? ???? He said will help with the pain, mobility, n reduce scar tissue. He said right now scar tissue developes bevause of the cut, then when you bend u tear the scar tissue which then just creates more scar tissue. I asked what r the possible negative effects from this treatment, he says none....so the worst that can happen is im out of $ n it doesnt work, but i may improve with this treatment, a risk worth taking. Anyways if anyone knows about it plz share.

Signed Desperately needing relief, less pain, and more mobility :shrug::shrug:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom