Guest viewing is limited

TKR Starting to wish I'd never had a knee replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Linda ... I see you are a member of the ODIC (over did it club) now. I hope the swelling and pain are easing for you. May I ask a question? I have seen it on here a couple of times now - what is couponing? We don't have anything like that over here.

Your scar looks great by the way. Mine does too. I am fascinated at how fast a scar heals and yet tissues and surrounds can stay swollen for so long.

Take Care Linda ... :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Linda,

Please take it easy and don't over do it. If you read my recovery thread I am the president of the ODIC. I consider myself a graduate as I am 5 months past surgery. I still over do it. :headbang: You just need to listen to your knee and don't do too much if possible. I am a very impatient person and have had to learn the hard way to take it easy. Follow the Bonesmart mantra and this too will pass.

Take care :flwrysmile:
 
I over did it yesterday. My leg is so tight. I think I cried most of the night. I am going to get in a wheelchair to xmas shop that is the only way I can do it. People might say oh my gosh but I don't know what else to do
 
Sounds reasonable. Or shop online!! That's what I do!!!
I am so sorry for your pain and tears and I share them!!
 
I over did it yesterday. My leg is so tight. I think I cried most of the night. I am going to get in a wheelchair to xmas shop that is the only way I can do it. People might say oh my gosh but I don't know what else to do
We have all been there and have done what you have done! And yes, we have all paid the same price (my learning curve was quite a bit longer than others!)

Ice, elevate, and rest---take it easy and your knee will forgive you.
 
:( i know i increased the swelling i could only bend 87 degrees, last week i could bend 102 :gaah: i know its my fault. NetballKnees couponing is when the manufacture of a product prints a discount to buy their product (a coupon). A coupon ranges from .25 to $1.00. Most stores will double a coupon of .50 which will give you a $1.00 savings when u buy that product. The art of couponing is to buy the product when it is on sale n use a coupon with it for even more savings. I have gotten a lot of itens for free or relly cheap buy doing this. An example is when i bought 8 deodorants this weekend for about $2.00, the right sale with the right coupon :) off sale with no coupon i would have paid $20 plus dollars. Coupon can be an addiction, it is for me...beating the system. I have gotten so much stuff for free i.e. dish sop, hand soap, razors, shaving cream lotion, games, etc. I have even made money using coupons i.e. when a coupon exceeds the price of the item (overage..used the overage to pay for other items i want)...couponing is truely addicting for me. I love it :)
 
Judgar i had great plans for black friday sales...thinking about it now i dont think i will be able to partipate in that activity this year :rotfl: but i know me n i seam to be the class president of the odic, i do not think i will ever learn. :headbang:

Hey goes anyone know when i will get back all of the feeling by my knee? You know the surrounding area by the knee...it feels so weird when i touch that area.
 
when i will get back all of the feeling by my knee

Hello Linda
I am over a year out (my update link is in my signature below) and my nerves have regenerated but it took awhile. When I got these strange shocks, similar to a static electricity shock but in the knee, I knew that meant the nerves were healing.

For more information on the nerve healing, check out this LINK. :)
 
It seems difficult to me to like couponing---Yes, the deoderant was cheap---but, I think I use three a year, max. What do you do with the extras? Most of the couponers on tv have shelves filled all over the house--but when do they use all that stuff up? I did see one Pastor who used his couponing purchases for a shelter--but, otherwise, unless you have nine kids how can you use all that stuff?

but, yes, if you need a wheel chair, by all means get one. I used the riding chairs in the grocery store and Costco--which are the main two places that I shop, for months after my tkrs. Give yourself whatever break you can find---you are recovering!!!
 
Skigirl, my daughter n other famiy raids my stock pile. I have to limit some stuff becase i live in an apartment. Today i bought 21 deodorants for only $1.26...lol...could not help myself. Some stuff when its free or resly cheap n u use it everyday, get it cause u will use it n its saving u $. some stuff i give away or even sell on occasion. But where i get in touble is i cant just go to 1 store, i have to go to several, like today, 5 stores, 4 hours....my poor knee :hairpulling: i never learn :headbang:
 
Judgar i had great plans for black friday sales...thinking about it now i dont think i will be able to partipate in that activity this year :rotfl: but i know me n i seam to be the class president of the odic, i do not think i will ever learn. :headbang:
What about Cyber Monday? Great sales on line!

I know it is not the same, but it could help you out with a little "retail therapy"!
 
Thanks for the couponing lesson Linda. Sounds interesting. I have heard it mentioned in TV shows and movies and such and just wondered about it. :what: You are only 10 days ahead of me, but I shuddered when I read "5 stores, 4 hours". I bet you paid a price after. :groan: I quite like the idea of making money from them.

I have taken a little wander into the land of the ODI Clubbers myself the last couple of days. Just got so frustrated with doing nothing, or very little. :hairpulling:

Take Care Linda .. and hope the recovery gets easier and easier as time goes on.

Ellen :flwrysmile:
 
I'm a hip person, not knees, but you can add me to the ODIC club, too. Both hips replaced. Like NetballKnees above, I'm sick of doing nothing or very little, and two days ago I WAY overdid it and now I'm paying the price.
GRRR! But, at least I CAN overdo it now. Before my surgeries, I couldn't overdo because I was in so much pain I could hardly get to the bathroom with a walker. NOW, I overdid it walking too long too fast (for my stage of recovery -- really not very long or very fast) on my treadmill Progress of a sort, I guess . . .
 
It is a positive to be able to overdo when one could not do at all. It is a step forward even if we pay for it later. :yay: :sleep:
 
Messured 104 degrees today, but im not impressed. My knee has been hurting everyday, there is still a lack of bend, im suppose to go back to work in 4 weeks, it hurts when i sit for more than an hour, it hurts when i walk a lil ways, i just want my knee to feel normal again n do what i could do before i had the surgery, just do it without pain. Im tired that my knee gets so stiff. I dont like the numbness on parts of my knee. Im just frustrated n want to feel normal again. What if this is as good as it gets...what if im stuck with the pain, what if it wont bend any further....i dont like not being able to do what i could before the tkr....sry im in a grumpy mmood...also will i ever be able to do what i want without my leg hurting n swelling from the activity, am i always going to have to watch what i do in fear that i may over do it...i know i know it takes time, im not a patient person n want this to be all better n all better now :sigh:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Starting to wish I'd never had a knee replacement
lindaladyishere, recovery from TKR is a long bumpy road. It takes at least 12 months to fully recover, and you are barely 1/6th of the way there. Flexion of 104 at 8 weeks is not bad at all, and it will continue to get better with time.


You will feel better in another month, but it usually takes about 6 months to begin to feel close to "normal" again. And I'm wondering if you're not doing too much right now. TKR is major, major surgery---your OS not only used a scalpel, but also a hammer, saw, and drill. That knee has undergone major trauma and needs a lot of TIME to heal.

Are you following the BoneSmart mantras? Are you resting; elevating (toes above nose); icing, icing, and icing some more; taking your pain meds on a schedule; and not overdoing the exercise and other activities?

The secret of success with knee replacements is TIME & PATIENCE. We have to have (or find) the PATIENCE to give our knees TIME to heal at their own pace. Nothing else works like these two things and nothing can take their place. But it is a very hard truth to absorb in the beginning of our recoveries.

Recovery is what it is, and it's going to take as long as it's going to take. So be PATIENT and let TIME take care of things with some assistance from you.

Now take some deep, deep breaths, relax and dig down deep for some positive thoughts and repeat the often to yourself----a positive mental attitude can take you almost anywhere.

Take care, keep us posted, we care. And I promise you it will get better.
 
Hi Linda and Judgar, I don't know what more I could add, but I would say follow the good advice you received here. Try doing little projects here and there. I was a week home post op and I was cleaning my bathroom floors because I felt up to it and the floors needed it. I do a little bit then I go sit down. I take my pain medication and when it kicks in and I feel better I do a little something then I go ice , sit down, and relax on the computer. I sometimes sit down and iron clothes. I was going down stairs to the basement doing laundry one week after surgery. I had PT at home and she told me to do what I would normally do in the house. I have a split level ranch so there are steps, but not that many steps in that many areas. I was given permission to drive one day shy of 4 weeks post op. I do know my limits. If I drive more than 20 minutes then my knew swells up. So I plan my trips accordingly and keep things short. I don't go out when it is crazy busy and I take my time and try to get back before I have totally wiped myself out which that has happened and it is no fun. Take your time, do your exercises and try not o go above and beyond. just hang in there. Best to you. One day at a time at a time and don,t push yourself.Get plenty of rest. Take those pain medications as needed.
 
Linda, I chose to read your thread because I was sure I could offer up some valuable recovery suggestions. The farther along I got, that just became a moot point. You in fact got tons, if not all of the best available advice from all the great Bone Smarties.

So, why am I responding? Only one word came to mind......."Horse"!!

Calm down, don't bite my head off just yet. I'm not really calling you a horse. But I know you are familiar with the term......."You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him(her) drink"

While my posts can sometimes seem too direct or insensitive, my only intention is to hit a nerve so you will benefit. At the present, you are your own worst enemy. Take it form me, the "Stubborn Steed" that refused to drink as well.........but now at two years out after both knees.....the Bone Smarties can lead me anywhere and I would mindfully follow.
 
Hi Linda, we all can feel your frustration about the slow process. However, this process can not be rushed. When the knee is in pain or stiff, it will not bend. Forcing or rushing only do more harm than good. Give your knee more time to heal. Do not focus on numbers. The ROM will get better when the knee is no longer stiff. Do you take adequate pain medicine? Is pain is not managed right, it will cause more stiff. This recovery journey requires lots of patience. Just go with the flow, you will be fine.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom