TKR Starting to wish I'd never had a knee replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will keep doing what I'm supposed to. Now if I could just sleep! :gaah:
Honey, honey - you're only 4 weeks out! Your knee is still in diapers! This could go on for another 4 weeks yet so pace yourself!
my leg is not really swollen. My pt says everything is really tight.
Well if your PT says 'everything' is really tight then you have swelling. Swelling doesn't always mean the leg is like a tree trunk. There is such a thing as internal swelling as well. Did you read this article to learn more about this? Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it? Please tell me when you have read it and if it explains things to you.
Other than that I have very minimal pain. Before surgery I was in extreme pain for 2 years
But you cannot and must not compare the pain you have now with the pain you had pre-op. It's like comparing chalk and cheese! Remember I said to you before that post-op pain includes soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness. Quite difference from the searing, grinding pain you had before but just as essential that you take pain meds to manage it. Otherwise your knee will stay stiff and hard.
 
Josephine I just read it. Thanks for the info. I thought the leg would look fat if swollen and mine isn't. Good to know it can be swollen internally. Now I have a better idea why it doesn't bend even though it looks pretty good. Thanks!
 
Be gentle and compassionate with yourself. Listen to the wisdom in the folks here and you will be fine. Deep breath.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I wanna cry.. they told me I have" frozen knee". It stops me from bending my knee. People with this take longer to recover from a knee replacement. Not sure what my recovery will look like when it's all said and done. Starting to wish I never had this surgery: (

The first 2 weeks I was in extreme pain, my current degree in bending is only 84 degrees, it's been like that for nearly 2 weeks. I just feel like this is as good as its going to get, which scares me and depresses me :(
 
I am so sorry, but do not give up yet. Many people have low ROM but there are things that doctors can do and even some slow stretching exercises might help. I am sure some of the moderators with more knowledge will be on soon to offer some more information and advice.
 
don't let them scare you to much. It could take more time than you want but it hasn't been long enough to write it off as never bending. I was in an imobilizer for 8 months and they didn't think I would ever bend my knee. I don't know the degree but mine bends all the way back under a chair if I want. It took me a while. There are still docs that don't know how I can bend it and lift it like I can... I call it being stubborn
 
Hi I had mine done 10/1/13 only a few days ahead of you. my knee is hard to bend because of fluids in there. I just keep trying and doing my best. I have to believe it will get there, everyone tells me to give it time. so wait and see how you do don't give up
 
I understand your sense of panic and fear and discouragement because I felt much the same way in the beginning. This is a very difficult time for you!!! And I promise it will get better. The people is this forum will give you lots of very wise advice. Please follow it. And by no means would I rush to have an MUA.. Take your time give your body time. Be kind to yourself. Be. Gentle.

You are not alone


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
they told me I have" frozen knee".
Who are 'they'? If PTs then they don't know what they are talking about. At this time you need positive input and encouragement, not scare stories and threats!

I also just merged your threads - please don't keep starting new threads as we only all end up repeating ourselves! So now your recovery posts are all in the same thread, will you do me a big favour and read this all right from the beginning again. See how everyone is urging you not to panic or be depressed. How many of them also had the same experience but they got through it. And then read all the recovery articles you were left - you need to read them again and again to stop yourself being so low about all this. It's normal and with your knee so swollen and stiff and painful, a low ROM is to be expected too. But it will improve as the swelling gets less. Honestly it will.
 
All the advice your getting is good I am 18 months out at first never thought I would get over op and being fairly fit before tkr thought no bother this easy peasey.How wrong I was it takes TIME and PATIANCE which I did not have at first had to get it through my thick head had to many bumps on it when I was a miner .Now I walk everywhere swim and cycle every week and play with grandkids just listen to advice on here sometimes better than professional advice and you will get there good luck.
 
Hi Linda, if you could go to the store, you were in pretty good shape. I am 13 days out now, I only walked outside of my room once a day. It is a tough journey. However, if I put in 3 month of hard work in exchange of 20 years ( or more) of good quality of life with no knee pain, it is a very good deal. Thus, I am willing to make this small sacrifice. You will get better. Bonny
 
I read your story were pretty well twins right down to the kick. I do think some nurses need to be more aware of pain and needs. We are not drug addicts we had major surgery and we all have different levels of pain and needs. I actually reported one nurse with her behaviour. I am in nursing profession myself and l did it in a way l hope was to enlighten and be aware. We are so vunerable laying in hospital bed after surgery that negative energy from care givers is not productive. I reached my 6 weeks on Monday and l thought l would never get there. My first day ever without needing breakthrough pain meds during day the long lasting lasted till evening.. I am honest l used to watch clock for next pills l was continually in hard pain. As of last Thursday l cried "again" l had to go back to full crutches/walker. I could hardly walk. Four days later l bought my first cane. Going up stairs normally first time in three years. I am one stepping on coming down still swollen and inflamed. I thought same "why did l" Well first time l can see the light and not thinking that. I am not fooling myself l have away to go. I was my worst enemy my physio guy told me to stop pressuring myself with whys and expectations. We should also try not to bring negative energy upon ourselves. Hugs to you. You will get there thanks to you, you're physio therapist. Dr. And especially this forum they rock. I asked about tens machine on here and justvto mention it has been of great value these last few days.
Take care

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
 
Had tkr on Sept.24th.I felt the same way you do.Started home therapy and rom of 78.Completed home therapy now doing outpatient therapy 3 times a week.I too felt the same way at first as far as was this the right thing to do.Yesterday was my 6 week anniversary and although I have come a long way there is more to come.When walking in a small store(walking without a cane) there is still quite a bit of pain/tight
ness at knee area and I pray every day that this will go away as I work on my feet just about all day.People at work keep on asking when I am coming back and i hope to go back on light duty in a month.Everyone at physical therapy says I am doing great however I always have a concern it wont get better.Its a very tough surgery/recovery and i sympathize with everyone on this website.The day there is no pain and or tightness is in my prayers each and evey night.Gooh luck to all!
 
I just want to thank everyone for all their words of encouragement. You guys really know what i am going through, as you have went through it or are going through it now. Today was not a good day, i cried so many times. I tend to always think the worse. its funny that strangers are more encouraging than some of my own family. Thanks again so much for being there for me and really understanding what i am going through.
 
Family has not been through the surgery so no matter how much they care they cannot quite understand what is going on inside of our heads and bodies. I had to remember that myself and try to explain what is going on and why. You can always try to get them to see a video of the surgery and that might make them realize where your body has been and what it has gone through. We are here for each other and truly understand.
 
A lot of people just haven't been thru surgery and can't understand how much it takes out of a person in terms of energy and how much recovery time is needed. Plus there are those stories going round about someone's miraculous recovery which tend to get exaggerated as they are passed from person to person and then people think that's the norm rather than the exception. There is a wide range of healing rates among patients of any kind of surgery. You just have to let those comments go in one ear and out the other . . . it's not even worth trying to make them understand. I'm sure they don't mean to be cruel but they sure aren't helpful so just ignore them. Just keep in mind that you're in this for the long haul and it's where you end up that counts, not how straight the path goes that gets you there. You can do this with patience and faith!:friends:
 
I just read through all of your posts and a couple of things still stand out to me as potential problems.

First, your description of feeling like you needed to mop your floors every two days and go shopping to a couple of stores every day or two. Please know that your floors can go without being cleaned on a regular schedule. Other household chores can go by the wayside for a while too. It will be okay and you can do these things later when you are more physically able to do them.

If you need food or other items from the store, have your friends or family pick them up for you. Or call and find out if any of the stores deliver. This is too much activity for you if you are still as swollen as you are describing.

You mentioned that you were moving to a cane for walking. Are you able to walk easily with it? No limping or lurching? If that is not the case, then it's too soon for you to be on a cane. The purpose of a walking aid is to provide you with the stability you need to be able to take good, strong steps. You should have a normal gait with whatever aid you're using before you move up to a "lesser" walking aid. With my last TKR, I used my walker in the house for two months just because it helped me to be able to take long strides.

If you are only icing and elevating 4 times a day for around half an hour, that is not enough to get the job done with your swelling. You need to be icing constantly....any time you sit or lie down (and you should still be doing a lot of that as well). I iced all through the night too....both front and back of my knee....with gel packs. It helped me sleep.

That story about "frozen knee" sounds like it's coming from your therapists. They are not medical doctors and should not be making such statements to you! Most likely the reason you're not moving forward with your ROM is related to the swelling you have and the level of activity you're trying to maintain. You need to slow way, way down until things start improving. You cannot exercise your way to a better recovery. The more you try to do, the more swelling and pain you're going to get. Your knee is inflamed and irritated right now and it must settle first before you're going to be able to make much progress. If your therapists don't get that, find new ones!

Don't worry about doing any more than 10 minutes of those exercises each day....and they should all be gentle enough that they don't hurt - just maybe some mild discomfort. Gentle bends and stretches are good any time during the day for a few minutes. They help keep things loosened up. And at this point, that's all you need. It's not the time to worry about rebuilding strength....not yet.

I wish I was there to give you the big hug you deserve. This is a tough journey and you need people to lean on. Sometimes family and friends are not too understanding, but I hope they will give you some assistance. And, remember that your BoneSmart family will always understand what you're going through. We've been there!!! So post her often and let us know how you're getting along. We care about you and want to help.
 
just to let you know that after my TKR the only place I went every week was once to physio ... Just the thought of going to the shops or visiting or anything made me feel ill....you could have written me a cheque for a million dollars and I still could not have done it... I didn't go anywhere except physio for the first 5 weeks !! I had many emotional breakdowns...lying on the bed crying..fed up..frustrated.....and even now at 10 weeks I only have a rom of 70% but I am gradually going forwards and all the pain and suffering and anger I had before is slowly sinking into the background... On the odd times I over did it, I really paid the price with an angry sore swollen knee....so now I just plod on and will never overdo it again...it is not worth it ! Good luck with your journey X
 
I also agree with Jamie, that you are just trying to do too much. I bet your crying comes after trying to do something that is too much for you right now. I would cry too if I had to mop the floors every two days---just put slippers by the door so that they don't wear their shoes in the house!!

Perfection is not attainable--I think you are trying too hard to be the perfect housekeeper, the perfect patient and the wonder woman who still makes meals for your family. Let go----it will feel good. Lie down for two hours after one hour up and around--put ice on your knee and watch a movie. You are not in a race and there are no gold stars for being the best ever.

There are pizza for deliver and frozen foods---I love Stouffer's lasagna--it is better than mine!! I get the family pack and we eat it for two or three days---I am a terrible housekeeper--but, really who cares? Not my husband---he would rather read himself.

Most of all, relax---"frozen knee" sounds like something from the dark ages---there really is no such thing. Whoever said that is someone who needs more training. Your knee will not tolerate too much activity right now--this is a three month to six month recovery not a two week deal. You are still so early in recovery, you simply cannot resume your "normal" life right now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom