Guest viewing is limited

TKR Spunky's Journey.

Hi @SpunkyBarb Sounds like you're doing great. There may be up and down days but it sounds like you have a good system going.
 
1st PT visit today. She was very nice and didn't push my mom at all. She was happy with everything Barb was doing. Mom was up from bed so many times today and yes, she is very tired and weak. However, I know she is resting well. So far, she has slept solid during the night and I pray that continues. My brother went home today so I'm it :) Oh, and the waterproof covering had 2 spots that were not sealed so no shower yet. The PT person was able to get a new waterproof cover from the hospital. She returned later today and applied it. IF mom wants to try the shower tomorrow it will happen. She has a built in bench that PT suggested placing a towel on to avoid slippery surface and she will back in (good leg 1st going in and bad leg 1st on the way out) We also installed grab bars... But this is only if she is up to it. She was expecting to not be so weak. We had the talk about, no expectations and each day will Have a little something that will be better than the last. Actually tonight before bed, sitting on the side of the bed - she felt both feet touching the floor!!! She said before her new knee, the right leg wasn't touching the floor 100%!! The dr said he would even her out! :)
 
That all sounds good.
It's wise not to try to rush anything. A knee replacement is major surgery and it does knock the stuffing out of you.
 
TKR most certainly packs a punch...I no longer have a bandage, only steristrips but my surgeon does not want me to wet the incision until 100% healed, so I wrap my knee in seran wrap for my showers, you may want to try that as an extra layer of protection.
 
I'm a month out and I'm still exhausted! Your mom is expected to be weak. All the body's energy is going to healing her knee. With her positive attitude she's going to snap right back after a while. But, nobody can rush it. It will happen when it is supposed to happen and not before!
 
Thanks gals for all of the good information. I keep emphasizing the energy will come back slowly but surely and I read your comments to her. yes, we were going to use Saran Wrap as a 2nd protection and only have the water pointed on her to wet down and rinse off Had a little restless night, took Tylenol at 7 instead of 8 hours - she is realizing she may need more as she starts moving around. Time for Tylenol! Then shower. She's going to feel good once she's nice and clean/refreshed! 1 week ago today she said goodbye to that arthritic knee!
 
Oh that shower will make her feel like a new woman. But, she will be worn out afterwards, too. We all were in our early days.
 
@SpunkyBarb
Oh Yes! Loved that first shower! And all the ones since! The hot water just does something to make you feel so much better, and then you can sleep better too. Your mom sounds amazing!
 
You are doing well. It does take a lot out of you in the beginning but it will get better as time goes by.
 
I'm glad PT will be here tomorrow. Just want to make sure she doesn't think the swelling is getting any worse in her ankle/foot. She is so black, blue and swollen. It was like this in the hospital but I believe the foot is worse Also the drainage seems like so much and it's all encased in the waterproof dressing. We have kept it elevated except for 1 hour around lunch and 1 hour late afternoon, 30 min at dinner. Her poor skin looks so dry too but the dr. Office said not to put any lotions on her (I was thinking the foot/ankle area). I called today to make sure how long she needed to be wearing the calf wraps (the things that compress and release). She is on blood thinner for 2 weeks and the doctor said that's why her leg, especially below the knee became so purple/black/blue (she got a blood clot 10 years ago). Another day she has under her belt and she'll wake up feeling stronger again like she did today!!
 
Most of us had the bruising all up and down the leg and even the foot. I still have some around my incision. It will take weeks for it to disappear. While taking PT she probably will swell more. It's irritating the tissues and they respond by swelling. Don't let them hurt your mom. Keep it very gentle.
 
You can put lotion on her foot or another area of her leg but just not anywhere near the incision or dressing. Make sure her foot is above her knee and her knee above her hip when elevating.
 
Pt went very well! Bruising and swelling all normal. She removed the waterproof dressing and medicated strip - incision looks great and no drainage - the appearance we saw under the waterproof dressing was all the medicine however her incision did get some air and the whole process reassured "me" everything was good to go! PT communicated with the Dr.'s office nurse - chloraprep and an island dressing was put on that we will replace each day until the dr visit Tues. 7/12. Mom was feeling pretty good this morning, did real well with CPM and exercises and is ready for what this day holds. By the way... 30 staples. :). PT measured a 90 degree bend. All of moms pre-surgery, years of exercise are really benefiting her now. I am blessed. I've talked her in to getting a hand held shower, at least to use during her recovery weeks. Any suggestions? From her shower head to the permanent bench - it's a pretty big distance so they may not actually work. Have a good day everyone.
 
I also have a fixed shower head, I only used the shower bench the first week because I was very light headed, I do have a walk in shower so it makes it easier.
 
Your mom is a real trouper! You and she are blessed to have each other! I'm so glad that she didn't have any drainage, that it was just medicine! Her bend is wonderful for this early in her recovery!

I bought a hand held shower, but I have a shower chair that I can put anywhere I need to in the tub. I don't know if yours will reach a built in bench or not. I hope so. The sitting makes it so much easier.
 
I had my tub in my bathroom changed to a walk in shower a couple of years ago. I had a hand held added to the regular shower head so I can shift from one to another. I have a shower chair that I purchased prior to my revision. I still use it for part of the time during my shower after a long day at work. Your mom is really doing extremely well. Her flexion is wonderful and her attitude is unbelievable. I'm very happy that she is doing so well.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom