Guest viewing is limited

TKR Spunky's Journey.

I survived for about 3 weeks on ice cream and protein drinks. I finally have my appetite back for the most part. Your mom will get hers back, too. Just be sure, as others have said, that she doesn't take the meds on an empty stomach. I found that anti-motion pills also lessened my nausea. You might want to try those if she has that problem.
 
Home! All is well. We will keep a watch on this, and she will definitely get her Tramadol before bed, but the only pain medication she has taken since 1pm yesterday (7/2) is 1,000 mg of Tylenol every 8 hours. Amazing. Pain has been 0-3 out of 10. Oh, how I wish I could be like that! 2 Tylenol doesn't do much for my pre-surgical knees. She will follow the Bonesmart mantras My brother gets mom duty for a couple of days and then it's me for the long haul. ❤️ I left her sleeping in the CPM machine (70) with the portable leg compression machine on both legs and ice machine. Let home recovery begin! Thank you for all of your comments - she has enjoyed hearing them (PS, the pic is 2 yrs. old, so she was 81 - still doesn't look 81)
 
Being home is good for all of you. You'll find that your mom will probably have a rough time sleeping for a while. And be sure you give her the meds on time. You don't want her having to play catch up with the pain. It sounds like she has wonderful pain control is a real blessing for your mom, you and your brother!
 
Is there a way to change the title to your thread? Thanks
 
If you post the new title you've chosen for your thread, a moderator would be happy to change it for you.
 
I'm glad to hear your mom is home and doing so well.

I left her sleeping in the CPM machine (70) with the portable leg compression machine on both legs and ice machine.

A tip I got from my physical therapist was to use the ice machine AFTER the CPM machine, but never while using it. He also asked that I not ice for at least 30 minutes before doing exercises. When you do exercises you "warm up" first (the CPM machine is passive exercise), and "cool down" at the end.

I just wanted to share that, since it didn't occur to me until the PT said that, but it made a whole lot of sense once I thought about it. He explained the physiology behind it, but I don't remember it well enough to repeat it accurately.

Best wishes for your mom's speedy recovery.
 
I've heard of lots of people who ice their knees while using the CPM machine. remember that warming up and cooling down only apply if you are actually using your own power to move your leg, but the CPM machine is moving it passively, with no effort on your part. Because of that, I don't agree with the PT's advice.
 
Since they iced on the CPM machine at the hospital and the PT's were fine with that we will continue. However, I had forgotten about the knee being off ice for PT exercise- in order to be warmed up. Thanks!
 
Hello Moderator- would you be so kind as to change the title of this thread to Spunky's Journey. Thank you. That's what mom wants it to say now that she is out of the hospital.
 
Of course today is a slow day since she had such a busy day yesterday coming home from the hospital. I told her this is totally normal and she'll be feeling better tomorrow. We will probably hear from PT tomorrow. Dr said it would be Tuesday and Thursday visits until her first follow up on 7/12. I will watch guard! She had a great night sleep with the Tylenol and 1 Tramadol. She is due for her 2 Tylenol (she only wanted 1 - we'll keep close watch on her pain level since 2 has been working so well - if all is okay, she'll get another 1 in 4 hours). I'm really happy she is only needing that right now as her whole body will be functioning better with less opioids. But if she needs more, she will get it! Happy 4th of July to the US members :)
 
I'm glad your mom is doing so well on her recovery.

Be careful on cutting back on her pain meds even if she feels that she doesn't need them, specially this early in her recovery. I found out the hard way, I was not in pain and decided to skip my meds and I found myself plying catch up with the pain, it took me 2 hrs to find relief. Not fun!!!
 
With all of the trials of the last 3 weeks in mind, I am amazed that your mom chose to fix that knee. Spunky indeed.
The measure of a great parent....at 83, having kids willing to help you through a total knee.
 
Thank you @Celle for the title change. @uva55 Clara, yes, we went 1 hour and she said she was feeling the knee so I immediately gave her the 2nd Tylenol and told her we will stick to the 2 Tylenol every 8 hours unless she needs the Tramadol in addition besides just at bedtime. She agreed. Tpelleran, yes, she knew it wasn't going to get better and she was afraid of it giving out, and falling, so she wanted to get it done before she got older. Her father had his 2nd one done at about this age. I now know that I will be able to do this when its time (it's probably time, but I would like to get another couple years under my belt - I'm 55). "If she can do it, I can do it". :). Tomorrow my brother goes home (2 hrs away) and then I'm back on full time duty. I live about 18 min. from her and my husband is on vacation this week and can take care of the homestead while I stay at my mother's home. @sistersinhim Paula, I read your whole story last night. Glad you're doing so well. PS: mom's name change was her choice lol. I read some of the others to her and she chose Spunkys Journey. - hope I did the @ correctly.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@SpunkyBarb sounds like you have everything under control.

If you want to tag one if us you have to use the @ in front of the name like I did with your mom's name:)

I hope your mom has a painless night:flwrysmile:
 
Hearing about your mom makes me really miss mine. She had Alzheimer for the last years of her life. I was her POA and took care of most of her needs. You have yours now and are so blessed to be able to help her physically. And she is so blessed to have you and your brother that care so much about her. She is an adorable, independent, strong lady and she'll do fine. She has already proven how tough she is!
 
Please tell Spunky Barb we LOVE her Thread's new name~!!

[Bonesmart.org] Spunky's Journey.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
she wanted to get it done before she got older. Her father had his 2nd one done at about this age. I now know that I will be able to do this when its time (it's probably time, but I would like to get another couple years under my belt - I'm 55). "If she can do it, I can do it".
My mother had her second knee replacement in her mid-eighties. She was my inspiration when my knees needed replacing and I said just the same as you.

By the way, don't wait too long if your knees need replacing. Get them done when they start to have a negative impact on your quality of life. With knee replacements lasting as long as 30 years nowadays, there's no need to wait until you are "old enough".
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom