THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kim, did the hospital help you lay on your side at all while you were there? I slept on my unoperated side the first night (not long but did it every night). If you have physio or OT, have them show you how to sleep and prop yourself up correctly without breaking your restrictions. You'll probably have help getting in position, but your body may like the change. I then started sleeping on the operated side about 3 weeks in (again, not long initially). By 7-8 weeks I could sleep on either side. You'll get there!
 
dede62 Thanks I do feel that I have turned the corner in many areas.I have mastered the art of back sleeping which is good so managing to get a decent nights sleep, I never really liked sleeping with a pillow between the legs as my legs ached when I woke so I am managing well without one.its a good tip not to tuck the bedclothes in at the bottom allowing my feet more movement.I know what they mean by an energy drain the least amount of activity wears me out and I am glad of my afternoon rests, I have iced my hips twice today but only have minimal swelling.I am also walking around the house for about 5 minutes. It's too cold to walk out yet We have snow and a bitterly cold wind blowing. At least I am not missing anything outdoors.
How is your foot now ?
 
dede62 Sorry with my Tramadol brain I didn't see your second post.No they didn't show me how to sleep on the operated side without breaking the rules they just told me no sleeping on the operated side for 6weeks and to avoid the unoperated side for 3 months
 
Kim, there's another case where the recommendations are different for each doctor... At least it sounds like you are at least able to sleep on your back better than some others have. I became a back and side sleeper many years ago when I was a stomach sleeper and it was causing issues with my neck and nerves down my arms (waking with numb arms and hands). I was almost exclusively a back sleeper right before surgery since my hip felt so bad sleeping on either side. It's not unusual to have discomfort from being in one position for long periods. I would switch from laying to sitting up quite a bit in the early days. I have a cushion that is like a wedge with arm rests (I think they call it a tv pillow) that I used the first six weeks in my bed. I stayed upstairs in our room for the first week, so I was constantly changing positions while I was awake (including moving to a chair). It all gets better in time, so don't worry about it, but do shift when the discomfort starts if possible. I also used ice on other parts during my recovery.

No real change in my foot and ankle. Thanks for asking. I'm getting over a nasty cold this week so I didn't get out much this week anyway. The pool was fine last week until I had to hike myself out of the pool at the end. I have the scan in about a week so I'll know more then.
 
dede62 The TV pillow sounds comfortable I will look into them Thanks
 
One Week Post Surgery

Its hard to believe that a week has gone by since I got my new hip.I am walking for 6 minutes with 2 sticks, doing exercises both lying and in standing 4 times a day, the standing ones only to operated leg.I have virtually no swelling but a lot of bruising but this is restricted to the area around the wound. I have 24 clips insitu and they will be removed a week today.The wound is clean and dry now. I am continuing with pain relief of a Tramadol and Paracetamol combination I am sleeping very well on my back but wake up in the early morning with stiffness and pain so take 50 mg Tramadol The pain is well controlled the right buttock, outer thigh and knee are the worst areas.I getstart off stiffness and have noticed that the left hip can be stiff and sore when I first get up. The pain is more of an ache really and gets better as I move. The BM's are fine now.I still feel very tired and look forward to my afternoon rest.I appear to have issues regarding LLD but not worrying about that just now. So overall I am pleased with my progress.
 
Wow! One week already! (I can't believe I'm three weeks today). A great report Kim, sounds like you are doing really well!
 
octopus Thank you I have decided to do a weekly log so I can hopefully track my progress How are you 3 weeks on ?
 
I'm doing a weekly update too. It helps to be able to look back and see where you were a week ago and celebrate the progress. :) I'm doing really well. Much better than I expected. Still tired, can only sit in a chair for about an hour, so still spend a lot of time reclining on the bed, as the couch and arm chairs are a not suitable height. But pain is virtually non-existent, except for touch and I cannot lay on the incision yet. I am determined this week to be up and about a bit more. I will just get up and move around when sitting for more than 15 mins. Movement certainly is the best relief to the stiffness and soreness. Walking is about 15 mins once a day and I can still easily sleep 1-2 hours during the day.
 
Hi Kim22, good not to focus on lld the whole process does strange things physically and perceptually. My pain is more of discomfort although the knee does hurt...best wishes for the coming week and I look forward to reading your weekly musings on progress clifford
 
Well after my positive post of yesterday I'm afraid it is negativity all the way after a very bad night I was woken up at 3 am with severe pain in the hip, starting in the outer hip and buttock and radiating to the groin, knee and beyond into the foot.I would describe it as an extreme ache with a lot of tension in the hip The dreaded swelling has arrived The pain Was at a 7 So I took 2 Tramadol tablets as it was so bad But ended feeling nauseous Didn't go back to sleep until 6 am after a few icing sessions On reflection I did too much walking and exercise yesterday and then just for good measure sat too long in the armchair,Well can't sit for long now I feel someone has kicked me hard in the right buttock! I have decided to revert back to codiene phosphate which will affect my bodily functions again The sticks were causing soreness of both hands as I have arthritis in both so the OT have swapped them for One palm grip stick for indoors I am to use 2 when I eventually get out He has also scaled back the exercise to 5 each side in standing I am off upstairs to elevate and ice Has anyone had a similar experience ?
 
Hi Kim22, sorry to hear your news it sounds like you really hurt which is frustrating when you had a good previous day. The pt's advice seems appropriate just remind yourself that this will happen but you are on the road to a great recovery....kind regards....clifford
 
Kim, sorry to hear you are having a hard time. I hope things are starting to settle down.
 
Kim22 We set our alarm for the middle of the night for the first week or so and I took my pain med's. I iced all the time. I have 4 ice packs that I rotated. I went to bed at night with ice on my hip. I wasn't guilty of over doing it but it is good to get up and move often. I try to get up and move around every hour. I am 4 weeks from surgery today....yay but I have a long ways to go with PT. I still have to depend on my cane. The muscles in my operated leg are really tight and complaining. I had a bad muscle spasm going on for almost a week in there and that has finally gone so I hope I start to see quicker results now. I hope you're feeling better.
 
Kim, so sorry you're having a rough go of things. Hopefully it's just a blip on the screen during your recovery.

Like sandybeach, I had multiple alarms going off every 4 hours keeping on my pain med schedule. I stayed on the low end but steady and consistent for at least the first 4 weeks and I think that played a huge role in my somewhat quiet recovery. Pain and discomfort was a good guide to know where the boundaries were and I still dipped my toe over the line just to see where I was really at. I remember reading on someone's thread during my early recovery that 'just because you can, doesn't mean that you should.' Remember to pace yourself and keep icing and resting. You're just a week in...

Don't make me shake a finger at you like Jo! She once had a great avatar with Judge Judy shaking her finger... very cute.
 
Kim22 I am SO sorry I've not been here-- my alert system doesn't think I'm following half the threads I am following! I'm sorry to hear about bad night last night. It could simply be that you did too much yesterday, and want to back off? I'm with you all the way, though :) :) chris
 
Elosarabrab, octopus, clifford149, sandybeach, dede62 and zauberflöte Thank you all very much for your replies which have really cheered me up Isn't it wonderful getting messages of support with good advice from BS members all over the world from a city 12 miles from home to the US and NZ Especially as you all know what I am going through.
Today is a better day with less pain which seems to be controlled by the Codeine and Paracetamol My main grumble is it feels like my OS left a tennis ball in my right buttocks which means I can't lounge in my armchair for long.Any ideas anyone ? I am now resting, elevating and icing regularly which is certainly helping Thanks for the tip of setting the alarm at night SB I think that it is a good idea and will try it tonight Thank you Dede for your good advice to remember that "just because we can it doesn't mean we should " Dont worry Chris I also find I am missing threads even though I log on regularly
I am discovering what a roller coast ride this journey is but we are all moving forward to the goal of living life to the full once more!
 
Kim22, Hi, Glad you are doing better today. Sorry I cant help with the "tennis ball" issue maybe tag Josephine for advice? I think you might want to check your tag on SBs post you put disagree? Blame the meds makes us all woolly headed at times. Happy Healing Barbara
 
Thanks will change my tags ASAP
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom