THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Littlejem Yes lovely subject indeed ! I have been taking Senna which I started in hospital and today I had 2 sachets of Movacol as recommended by the District Nurse who changed my dressing and I have had some success. I have felt much brighter today all round which is probably due to a good nights sleep. I have finally got used to sleeping on my back probably due to exhaustion and my lovely husband bless him is also sleeping on his back too. The only issue is that my right foot drops forward as I sleep and is very stiff and sore when I wake until I do the exercises a few times. The OT has provided me with a plastic inflatable boot to try and help the foot drop and prevent a sore heel You must be glad that the weekend has come round again and that your hubby will be on hand to look after you. I am a little envious of you when you mention your pets asI love dogs and cats but as my poor husband is allergic to both we don't have any, They sound like great company Have a great weekend.
 
Poppet Do those probiotic yoghurt drinks count ?
 
sandybeach Its so true you have come a long way and you should do even better with the second op as you will know exactly what to expect.I had my very own pity party last night about the time I had to give myself the Clexane injection and struggle into bed which is the most painful movement but felt better this morning after.a good nights sleep I am walking well now and it's even easier getting in and out of bed. The constipation issue has also improved slightly. Take care and enjoy your weekend
 
BarbaraR Thanks for the tip re probiotics I already bought the yoghurt drinks but I guess they are not as good as the capsules?
 
Teacat Oh those quaint New England villages. There aren't many of them, and right outside them you will find mcDonalds and Walmart LOL. If you want to be adventurous, try West Virginia. It is NOT civilized, but tourism is big there. It's got even better mountains than New England! And if you do, let me know-- I will come over and meet you, and we will have a little hike on our new hippies! :flwrysmile:
Poppet adding probiotics to my list right now! I used to take them but they were too pricey. When I go to the dentist and have to pre-med with a huge dose of clindamycin, I eat alot of yogurt before and after and that works just fine for that situation :)
 
walkagainV Hi Valarie I was so glad to read that you have a new date. 15th April will soon be here the first day of your new life. As you are allergic to nickel does it mean they will use a different material ? My new hip is ceramic on ceramic. I am having a good day today and back to my usual positive self. Enjoy your weekend
 
zauberflöte West Virginia sounds fantastic and would love to visit. By the way it's Kim not Teacat lol
 
I am unsure which ones you have in the UK.. I think you may get one called..Yakult which is a fermented milk drink that contains a very high concentration of a unique, beneficial bacterium called Lactobacillus casei Shirota strain.

The unique beneficial bacteria in Yakult are strong enough to survive the journey through the gastric juices to reach the small intestine alive, where they help maintain an ideal balance of beneficial bacteria. Each 65ml bottle contains 6.5 billion of these highly acid resistant bacteria, which are exclusive to Yakult. I actually find this one too sweet myself, but it is good.

Remember that there are many types of probiotics. They include lactobacilli (like Lactobacillus acidophilus and Lactobacillus GG), bifidobacteria (like Bifidobacterium bifidus) and some yeasts (like Saccharomyces boulardii.) Different probiotics have different effects, so what works for one condition, may not be effective for another.

There is a lot of research into probiotics to determine if they may help infections (including urinary tract, vaginal, GI, sinus, and respiratory), dental disease, allergies etc..

How much should you take... For instance, a typical dosage of Lactobacillus acidophilus ranges between 1 billion to 10 billion live organisms split into three or four doses. Dosage may also be indicated as colony forming units (CFU).

I prefer the refrigerated probiotic that you can get in a health store, that way you can check against the information I have provided above with the different strains and numbers of live organisms. The brand I go for are the ones that contains the full complement of all strains as it is difficult to treat with just one strain of probiotic, if one is unsure of which one is being over run by the 'baddies' :)

There are also PreBiotics which are found in different foods.. These are different, but worth googling to get more info on them... Honey is a perfect example of a PreBiotic!

Tag me if you want more information :)
 
Teacat Oh those quaint New England villages. There aren't many of them, and right outside them you will find mcDonalds and Walmart LOL. If you want to be adventurous, try West Virginia. It is NOT civilized, but tourism is big there. It's got even better mountains than New England! And if you do, let me know-- I will come over and meet you, and we will have a little hike on our new hippies! :flwrysmile:
Poppet adding probiotics to my list right now! I used to take them but they were too pricey. When I go to the dentist and have to pre-med with a huge dose of clindamycin, I eat alot of yogurt before and after and that works just fine for that situation :)

Yes they can be expensive, the problem with yogurt is that you must not have a sweetened yogurt as it defeats the purpose of of repopulating.. Only Yakult has the special fermented sweetness, which as I mentioned, I do not prefer myself.
 
Poppet Thanks for the information I will send my Hubby out to get Yakult tomorrow and take it 30 mins before food
 
As advised, Yakult should help! I find that bulking agents like lactulose give me another problem that is anti-social and uncomfortable - no wonder babies cry sometimes!
Poppet and Josephine you might be interested to know that my nephew is doing a PhD investigating gut flora and how they affect all sorts of mechanisms in our bodies, not just directly in the gut. It sounds fascinating (and as a scientist myself I'm not being sarcastic!)
May things move for everyone in the nicest possible way!
Anne
 
Yakult will be on my husbands shopping list tomorrow also!! :) Yes Kim22 the pets are really good company although my big cat does usually want to sit on me which isn't good at the moment as he weighs 6 kilos!! :kittykiss: My boy Henry (dog), is not quite sure why I'm not following our normal routine but I think he's happy enough just to be with his mum!! It's such a shame that your husband is allergic, I would hate to not be able to have my pets. Have you ever thought about a poodle or a labradoodle as they are suppose to be ok for a lot of people that have allergies to fur?:puppysmooze: take care and keep in touch xx
 
Littlejem We did talk about getting a poodle after we retired as he had one as a child but the hip pain kicked in before then. Maybe some time in the future.
 
HI Kim!! It sounds like you are going through all the usual steps to recovery...sleep problems( have you tried the good side with a pillow between your legs yet..that was my happy place)blues..still get them from time to time..toilet terror...you think just healing yourself is enough work without all that! I have to add this...don't know if UK is big on cartoons but I grew up with Daffy Duck always saying ( with his famous lisp)" SUFFERING SUCCOTASH!!!" Never liked it much..why ruin perfectly good corn with beans????LOL Good luck with a speedy recovery!!!!
 
walkagainV Hi Valarie I was so glad to read that you have a new date. 15th April will soon be here the first day of your new life. As you are allergic to nickel does it mean they will use a different material ? My new hip is ceramic on ceramic. I am having a good day today and back to my usual positive self. Enjoy your weekend

So glad you are doing well, Kim... I've been thinking of you!

Yes, I will get a Titanium hip. Apparently, there is no Nickel in that one.

Have a wonderful weekend with lots of rest and recovery!

Valarie
 
acbelmar Thank you for your message I have tried sleeping with a pillow between my legs on my first night home from hospital but although it felt good at the beginning of the night I did wake later a bit uncomfortable.I am getting more used to back sleeping now it seems to be getting easier.Its always good to hear from others who have had the same experiences I enjoyed watching the video of Daffy Duck I'm sure you will find watching it nostalgic x
 
zauberflöte Thanks for the cartoon I had a good laugh at Daffy Duck he cheered me up on this grey snowy day. What happened to spring ?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom