THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kim22 I found your thread and want to let you know I'm glad you're home and doing well! Everyone gave you good advice, which we all agree on - the rest, ice, elevate, medicate rule. You'll see that you feel better every day. I was very tired but am getting stronger now.
Keep up the good work and keep us posted! So glad it's over.:)
 
ByGosh thanks for the advice Yes I feel worn out most of the time bur had a poor nights sleep last night hitch didn't help have had a snooze this afternoon It is nice to hear that you are feeling stronger now
 
Kim22 hah! :) I stumped a UK-er! Littlejem are you listening? LOL Succotash is a mix of lima beans and corn. I just looked it up, and the word is of US New England Native American Indian origin: from Narragansett msíckquatash, "boiled corn kernels".
I hope you're doing just as well now as you were a few hours ago-- maybe your sleep pattern will quickly readjust to the proper cycle! :)
 
Is it the same as our sweet corn? Its funny we actually had a holiday in New England last year visited Boston, Plymouth, and New Hampshire but never discovered Succotash. I hope I sleep a little better tonight. Seems like part of the course but really finding back sleeping a problem I have no energy and a bit down in mood when I should be rejoicing about my new hip and all that will bring me once recovered
 
Kim22, I'm doing well and it's kind of you to ask. It's so much better than I had expected. I hate to admit I was rather pessimistic in the beginning. I haven't been released to walk without my walker or drive but I'm hoping that will change when I go to OS next week. Although I am still using the walker I am able to walk without it normally without pain or a limp. I am looking forward to using the treadmill and elliptical so I can start working on taking off the weight I've gained.
 
Kim22 I think yes, we call sweet corn sweet corn. What we use for corn-on-the-cob all summer long. I think actually succotash is served more here down south than up in New England! I always thought it was a southern dish till I looked it up just now!
New Hampshire is one of the most beautiful mountain states in the Union!!!! You were lucky to visit. :) (I used to live in Vermont, right next door).
May I come and entertain you with a clown act? read old BBC comedy scripts? Monty Python? bake you brownies? I believe that there's a library post here about post-op blues being normal. You've been assaulted, and your body and brain are paying you back! According to all I've read here, this too shall pass. :) :) ((((Kim))))
 
Kim22 I'm getting more used to sleeping on my back and am getting a good 6 hours at night but I also find I can sleep during the day too, my body must need it. I had a good cry this morning though, I'd not been to the loo for almost a week and not only did my stomach feel really bloated, I had pains all over it and it felt really uncomfortable so much that it was dragging me down. I managed to go, :whistle: (with a lot of medicine and other stuff), later in the day and thank god I feel quite a bit better. Sorry about line of conversation but have you experienced this Kim22 and do you know how to avoid it? :sad:
 
Littlejem I think that's part of the problem and its not going to go away as long as I am on codeine which I need for the pain It sounds funny but its not exactly comfortable sitting on those loo seats the operated leg really objects. Just feeling sorry for myself hopefully I will feel better after a good nights kip.What did you take to help you ?
 
:) Welcome to the other side. You seem to be doing real well. slow and steady

For the record, I live in Massachusetts and no succotash here. Have heard of it down South
 
Be sure and take a stool softener so you don't have problems. Drinking prune juice might also help. Pain medicine will make you constipated. I started to take a couple magnesium pills a day and that also is helping. The down days or the pity parties will happen. I have them when I think about how much more work I have to do yet. But I know I have come a long way so that makes it worth it.
 
Kim22 Lovely subject eh!! I know what you mean about the raised loo seat, not at all comfortable!! They gave me senna in hospital which didn't work so when I got home I took Lactulose solution, I have it on prescription from my GP as I am prone to this complaint from taking strong painkillers and this morning I used a suppository, (just a bought over the counter type), which finally got 'things' moving!! I don't think I'm out of the woods yet so I'll probably try another suppository tomorrow, I think if you're struggling it's the way to go, if you pardon the pun!! You're right you do start to feel sorry for yourself if you need sleep and I really hope you settle well tonight xx Janet
 
Littlejem and @ kim22, consider adding probiotics to your cocktail of trying to get your bowels moving. It comes in a capsule and you keep it refrigerated. You can buy it in a health food store. It made such a big difference for me that I'm still taking them. Good luck. Not being in pain is great, but constipation is the worst.
 
BarbaraR I didn't think of that-- keep the gut flora happy and well-populated, digestion will also be happier. I'm planning to keep up my regular extremely high fiber diet as well as all these precautions. I know what constipates me, so I won't eat any! I have high hopes.... :)
 
Kim22 So glad to find this post. I've been thinking about you and wondering how you were recovering. Congratulations on your new hip! I hope you continue to rest and recover!

After allergy testing, I am only allergic to Nickel, so my surgery has been re-scheduled for April 15th!

Take care of yourself!
Valarie
 
Weezi I am so happy that you are doing well now.Let us know about your appointment with the OS
 
Weezi I am so glad that you are doing well now
 
zauberflöte You are right about the White Mountains they are truly beautiful. It's such a shame we didn't get to try the plentiful walking trails but I am sure you will appreciate the reason why. I loved North Conway as to me it was a typical American small and picturesque town with white clapboard houses and white wooden churches with pretty steeples. We enjoyed the scenic railway ride very much. Regrettably we didn't make it to Vermont but would like to return some time in the future and it will be top of our list. We will go in the fall to admire the trees and of course I will have my new pain free hip !
 
Probiotics are excellent to repopulate the entire digestive tract with 'good flora'. They certainly help with the nausea also!

Do make sure you take them 30 minutes prior to ingesting food though.. They need that time to get into the gut:)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom