Guest viewing is limited

THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
sandybeach I feel I have made bit of progress today thank you So far I have had one good day followed by a not so good ones I get very emotional and cry so easily even when things are going well it reminds me of the baby blues from what I gather it is the norm I meant to tell you that my daughter and little grandson are coming to stay on Thursday for 2 nights I can't wait to see them as it has been a month What about your news ?
 
Kim22 I'm glad you're seeing progress :) BS tells us that the blues are normal and inevitable, so I guess we just have to cry, post here, and wait for things to be happy again. "If ya don't like the emotional weather in this room, come back in 5 minutes!" (paraphrase of an ancient Vermont state saying, "If you don't like the weather, stick around for 5 minutes!") :) :) shall I turn somersaults for you? Make faces? Bake more :console2: brownies????
 
*ZF in kitchen, busting eggs and melting chocolate and throwing flour and sugar around*
~~~~~mmmm smells awfully good, when are they done?? Can i have one, pleez pleeez pleeeez?~~~~~
*ZF delivers pretty plate heaped with triple chocolate brownies and decorated with sprigs of forsythia to Kim22 's nearest table*
There! :) :)
 
zauberflöte lovely they smell Devine and taste deeelicious Thank you ZF x
 
Kim22, I just read this, and what you're going through is so normal! The pain meds can make you feel rotten and moody, and it really is two steps forward, one back for a few more weeks. (Then it's 3 steps forward and one back, then 4 and one....etc.). I see your daughter and grandson are coming today-- have a great time. I didn't see my grandson till about a month after surgery because he's 3 and couldn't understand why he couldn't climb on me, but I did sneak a visit to his baby sister after about 2 weeks, and it felt so good to hold her and play with her. I hope you enjoy, and take it easy! Let everyone do things for you.

(Like zauberflöte, I love to bake. If I lived closer, I'd bring you cookies.)
 
Hi....24 staples...I hope is was not painful.....it would be interesting to know why some OS. Prefer staples and some glue?

I was glued and the advantage I guess is nothing to take out :)
I had staples just another one of those surgeon preference. I was surprised how small they were. It stung a little getting mine out but not too bad.
Barbara
 
Kim22 you're having company come today! :) :) Your daughter will hug you if you laugh and cry in the same moment, and your grandson will lift your spirits SO high-- I'm very excited for you. Check in with us after and give us a detailed report! LOL
 
Kim22 You are probably gonna be busy for the next few days with your daughter and grandson but I just wanted to say that you sound like you are doing really well for only being a few weeks out of surgery. The blues you are talking about I still have days or hours that they hit. I am finding myself more sensitive than usual. I get my feelings hurt because I am reading too much into what people say or by their actions. Post how your visit went...my son is bringing my granddaughters to our house today but I don't know when I will fit them in...I have my pre op appointment and then arranged with friends to go out for dinner. I wish I would have known ahead of time I see so little of them.
 
Hope you have a lovely couple of days with your daughter and grandson Kim, they will certainly lift your spirits I'm sure and the weather has brightened up so you might be able to go out for an hour or so too.

Take care

Ann
 
BarbaraR, sandybeach, zauberflöte, Elosarabrab, Anniepops Thank you all for your kind messages. I have had a wonderful time with my daughter and grandson It was just the tonic I needed I shall miss them loads now they have gone back home but they are coming back in 3 weeks as by then he will be 24 weeks and ready to start solids and my daughter wants me to be there at the beginning of the process. I am thrilled.

Until their visit I was in a very bad place due to increased hip pain following my first walk outside with the physio and on reflection I walked too far and too fast I paid the price with dreadful intense muscle pains which were bad during the night and kept me awake My husband had to fetch the frozen peas at 3 am I was stiff with pains in the thigh and buttock radiating to the groin, knee and my calf and ankle felt numb I had to radically scale back the walks and the exercises and became convinced I would never get better again. I was and still am worried about the LLD which is about an inch at the moment.My poor husband had to cope with all my negativity which can't have been easy.

Also when I rang the GP to request more Codeine Phosphate he told me that I was on a too powerful combination of pain killers and had to stop the Naproxen and switch to Co codamol instead More tears ! Just to put the icing on the cake I was not concentrating when walking upstairs and managed to go up first with the operated leg in error and felt a sheering pain through the buttock. I was convinced I had done some serious damage More meltdown!

However that was 2 days ago and since then I have enjoyed seeing my daughter and grandson and yesterday we had a drive out to Slaley Hall and really enjoyed the change of scenery.This morning the weather has finally improved so had a short and slow walk out with my husband in the sunshine I met loads of well wishers including a neighbour who had a hip replacement 10 years ago ,he is very active and I was really cheered when he told me that 8 months after he got his new hip he walked to the top of Sca Fell in the Lake District which is the highest peak in England I feel so much better and I feel my positivity returning so back on the roller coaster ride of recovery

I hope you are all doing well as I haven't checked in for a couple of days x x
 
Hi Kim22, Glad to hear you had a good time with your daughter and grandson.
Sorry you had a rough time for a while. It is so easy to overdo things and knock the progress back. You have to be gentle with yourself. Slow, short walks are much better for you than pushing too hard and ending up in pain.
It does lift the mood seeing the sun at last. Take care and Happy healing
Barbara
 
Kim22 Thanks for updating us! That visit was just what you needed, wasn't it. And knowing you'll be there for his first solids-- priceless! Video it and post here, those infant expressions on first having food in their mouths are SO funny :)
Keep up with the slow and steady. I'm tellin ya, if after all I've read here about people starting off too fast and then regretting it, I overdo it post-op, everyone here has the right to call me a lunkhead!!!! :) :)
 
zauberflöte Don't worry I will be there to remind you and nag, nag nag you into taking it slow an steady x
 
Also when I rang the GP to request more Codeine Phosphate he told me that I was on a too powerful combination of pain killers and had to stop the Naproxen and switch to Co codamol instead More tears ! Just to put the icing on the cake I was not concentrating when walking upstairs and managed to go up first with the operated leg in error and felt a sheering pain through the buttock. I was convinced I had done some serious damage More meltdown!

Kim, I'm flamboozled by your GP's attitude about your pain meds. You are not even three weeks out! I'm tagging Josephine to comment on this. Could you post exactly what you are taking now; how much and how often. If co-codamol is the same thing as what I call tramadol, it should be quite helpful to you, in the right dosages. With the right pain management, you should be able to manage some over-doing with an awareness that you overdid, but not such intense pain that you couldn't sleep all night. Pain makes us all a little crazy, so keeping on top of it is the best way to avoid meltdowns. :)

Shaorn
 
Kim22 It sounds like you had a good visit with your daughter. Spending time with our children and grandchildren is sometimes just what we need. My granddaughters are 6 and 3 and are so precious. They came up with my son to visit a few days ago and as I was tucking them into bed for the night my 3 year old granddaughter told me I was the best grandma in the whole wide world. I don't care what kind of pain I had, that took it away.
You might have set yourself back a little by walking too much too far but it's just a mild set back and now you know better. I think we all get a over jealous wanting our lives back but we need to give it time. Too bad you had so much pain but those muscles do complain when you wake them up.
 
sharonslp Co Codamol is a combination of 15 mg Codeine and 500mg Paracetamol 2 tablets 4 times a day Tramadol is much stronger I must say I seem to be ok on it and I only had the bad muscle pains in bed for one night however I am still taking the Naproxen at the moment as I figured that as I had over worked the muscles that would involve some inflammation and the Naproxen would help with that I have been taking it for the past 20 months so another week would not matter. However my goal was to discontinue it at some time soon.I think that my phone call with the GP came at a very bad time as I was as low as low could be,emotionally. I feel stronger now and if I need them I will go back to him.Thank you it's the old story of medical professionals worrying about us developing an addiction which is only a concern when you are taking pain killers without pain.
 
sandybeach Yes it was wonderful spending time with them and he is 5 months now very vocal and responsive with a smile to melt your heart You must have been in seventh heaven when your grand daughter said you were the best grandma in the world How lovely ! I see you are having your other hip done in less than a week How is the first one coming on ?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom