THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Kim,
Just wanted to come by and see how you are getting along. I had sleep issues before and after the surgery. Fortunately I already slept on my back so that wasn't a problem but it was nice to finally be able to sleep on the non-surgery side.
 
Does anyone know the time frames for sleeping on your operated side and then on your good side?
 
Littlejem, Its yet another of those individual things that depend on type of surgery, surgeons preference and how you are recovering. I was told to wait 3 months before sleeping on my side. I found it a bit uncomfortable at first but 3.5 months post surgery I am ok on operated side.
Barbara
 
@Kim22,

Just reading your thread...welcome to the otherside. I'm glad you are home and doing well. Ice and Senna....my friends for the first 2-3 weeks. I had a "bout" of constipation in week 2/3 and it was terrible. Never want to go through that again.

I hopr you have a speedy recovery.

MJ
 
mjmrphy55 Thanks for the tips I am already best friends with senna which I started in hospital I don't have a lot of swelling so haven't got round to trying ice yet and it is so cold over here that Which puts me off. Do you think it would help with minimal swelling ?
 
mjmrphy55 I see you are over 6 weeks past your surgery how are you doing ?
 
@Kim22,

Ice was the best thing. One day I took a mistep and paniced...then sat down and iced and all was better. I had minimal swelling also but used ice on a regular basis the first few weeks. I iced almost every hour while I was awake. I had a PT ice bag my son had from previous PT. It's rectangular shaped so it wraps around my thigh well. Sometimes the pain was in my "butt" area and other times by knee. The doctor told me at my 5 week check up that the blood pools at your knee and causes bruising and pain. He also said they can put some "force" on your knee during surgery. I'm not sure if that's every type--posterial, lateral, anterior, etc.

I would consider icing even as a preventative....

Hope your recovery continues to go well.

MJ
 
@Kim22,

I am doing great...did a little too much last weekend...parties, etc. and was swollen on Monday. But I have been without my cane for 3 weeks, trying to walk everyday and back to work three days a week. Also still doing PT twice a week.

Thanks for asking

MJ
 
I am going to try ice then.
I an so glad you are doing so well and no cane, that's wonderful. I expect it is all too easy to over do things when you start to feel better but hey I bet you enjoyed the parties Do you still need pain meds ? Do you feel ready for work ?
 
Kim22 glad to oblige with Daffy Duck! :) Too bad I don't have any control over the weather...
Based on your comments about back sleeping, and others', I'm buying something to put down at the bottom of the bed which will hold the quilt up a little, so my feet don't get smooshed down. Good to hear from people who have experience! :)
 
zauberflöte That's a good idea My Community Therapist provided me with a inflatable plastic boot to keep my foot up and to prevent soreness of the heel but really I have surprised myself on how quickly I got used to back sleeping.I hope. I am not speaking too soon
Refresh my memory on the date of your surgery please
 
mjmrphy55 I'm glad you said about the bruising on your knee, my husband was horrified to see a huge bruise at the back of my knee but it's obviously normal!! A party would be good for the spirits!!
Kim22 like you I haven't used ice yet but I really haven't had much localised swelling or bad pain in the operated area thank goodness
 
@Kim22 I hope everything is going better for you. The time for recovery seems to have it's up days and down days for all of us. Have you been able to see your grandson since surgery? My son brought his youngest daughter up to see us about a week ago, which was very nice, I love to see both of them but she had a cold and I have caught that. It has been a very miserable couple days for me. Today I'm starting feel better. After the next surgery I will request no one comes to see me unless they are healthy. What is the weather like in your part of the world? Ours is getting better. We still have a lot of snow on the ground but it's forecast to be melting away over the next several days....maybe there's hope for spring for us yet.
 
Kim22
Just wanted to pop on over to your thread and see how your recovery is going. Sounds like it is going well. Did you get your bathroom issues resolved? You will have to tell me your secret! Take care! :friends:
 
sandybeach No I haven't seen him since 2 weeks and 3 days before my surgery I miss him a lot but my daughter is planning a visit early April so we will see him then We also make good use of FaceTime in the mean time.i think that my pre op cold came from him and he has another one now, Poor little thing. I agree about limiting your visitors to those who are healthy. It's the only way.
The weather over here is dreadful very cold with snow from time to time but just a little on lying other parts of the country are in a worse state with a lot more snow and it has to stay like this until April, At least I am not missing anything staying indoors to recover.I hope your spring arrives soon so you can get out and about a little before your next op. Lets hope you recover from your cold soon as well
 
Teacat Hi the bathroom issues are resolved in part but I am not out of the woods yet! I take 2 Senna tablets daily, drink lots of water and OJ as well as eating fibre rich foods,I have just started on Yakult drinks as advised by Poppet and also as I hate prunes I have also started to eat dates which are more pleasant The other day I had 2 sachets of Movacol which also seemed to help but I am taking Tramadol so I think it will be a long term issue.Best of luck with your recovery I am discovering what a roller coaster ride it is
 
Hey Kim,
Just wanted to come by and see how you are getting along. I had sleep issues before and after the surgery. Fortunately I already slept on my back so that wasn't a problem but it was nice to finally be able to sleep on the non-surgery side.
Weezi I am doing ok thank you I am having pain in the buttocks and the knee which I think is part of the course I am going to try regular ice today as recommend by so many on this site I didn't really fancy it as it is so cold here ! I am taking regular Tramadol and paracetamol as well as my strong anti inflammatory Naproxen so I think the pain is covered but I woke in the early morning in pain which is new as up to now I have been more or less pain free when sitting or lying in bed.I am getting used to back sleeping now but when I wake up I still have a longing to turn over but that is less of a problem now.I hope you are ok
 
Kim, sounds like you've turned another corner in the recovery process. Bodily functions are normalizing and you are able to get around a little better with less discomfort. :yay:

At 19 weeks tomorrow (I had to go back and count on the calendar), I still prefer sleeping with the pillow. Not sure why, but my back feels better for it. I even use it when lounging on the couch. Do you keep your sheets/blankets tucked in at the end of the bed? If so it may help to untuck them so your feet aren't so constricted under the covers. I used to be the hospital corner queen, but no longer! Just a thought...

Keep up the good rest! It will pay off in the long run.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom