Guest viewing is limited

THR Spongebob's Recovery Journey

Glad you’re taking it as tough love haha!

For me… and just me... THR is a lifetime of maintenance to both maintain and improve function. There is no concrete ‘end’…for me! But also I’m 55 and want ‘more’. I’ve had plenty of setbacks over the last year, and still have another bad hip to go. Fighting some psoas issues myself at this minute from too much sitting (new job) and I wasn’t doing my exercises. So I am sitting less, exercising more and slowly reducing pain. Until the next thing! This all translates to making room in your life for pain. Embrace it. And don’t let it ruin your mood or day. Easier said that done!
Good advice that :) but I was told full recovery/healing can take up to 18 months to 2 years?
Also what psoas issues have you got yourself?
What exercises do you do daily/weekly?
 
Ahhh….and hope you understand this….I’ve never really posted any of ‘my stuff’ and really don’t want to, because it’s so specific to my anatomy and situation the ‘value’ of sharing isn’t that useful for others. I think this forum is about putting folks on their own journey and path versus getting in the weeds of workouts etc. Hope you understand.

The video I sent a good start and honestly you tube will give you a basic exercise set of you look for 10 minutes. If you get a good physio and massage therapist and you’ll get on track quickly.
 
Ahhh….and hope you understand this….I’ve never really posted any of ‘my stuff’ and really don’t want to, because it’s so specific to my anatomy and situation the ‘value’ of sharing isn’t that useful for others. I think this forum is about putting folks on their own journey and path versus getting in the weeds of workouts etc. Hope you understand.

The video I sent a good start and honestly you tube will give you a basic exercise set of you look for 10 minutes. If you get a good physio and massage therapist and you’ll get on track quickly.
Well the thing is the problem I have has to be muscular/soft tissue related as everything else has been ruled out but it just seems weird as its got more of a ache in the last 2 months but someone did day it can happen as your muscles go tight around the new lovely hip and to strenghen more
 
I refer to every post I’ve made since august 9th as a response. You don’t need anymore analysis or thinking on this. I’m not sure you realize this, but pretty much everyone here (and not here) with joint replacement has bad days, or something tightens up. Just happens. Part of the game. It’s not original equipment. It’s aftermarket metal and plastic. The only guarantee I can make is if you do what I and others have told you to do you will find success. Movement. Strength.

The biggest goal for you today? Getting your head in the game. Meditation. Mindfulness. The welcome distractions of family and daily life. That in combination with physio and would be shocked you can’t see meaningful progress in a few months.
 
I refer to every post I’ve made since august 9th as a response. You don’t need anymore analysis or thinking on this. I’m not sure you realize this, but pretty much everyone here (and not here) with joint replacement has bad days, or something tightens up. Just happens. Part of the game. It’s not original equipment. It’s aftermarket metal and plastic. The only guarantee I can make is if you do what I and others have told you to do you will find success. Movement. Strength.

The biggest goal for you today? Getting your head in the game. Meditation. Mindfulness. The welcome distractions of family and daily life. That in combination with physio and would be shocked you can’t see meaningful progress in a few months.
To be fair what you say is exactly on the money :)
I am strengh training daily now and I walk alot I just miss the gym but my physio said what is stopping you going back to the classes I answered I think in my head I have this dull ache in my groin so I can't go where as in reality he said that should not be stopping you from going as you won't do yourself any damage
Like you say the best advice is to get on with my life don't worry about my hip take my mind off it with family/work etc..and carry on strengh work and I will be surprised the success I will get in a few months in terms of my ache and with keeping a positive mindset :)
Your words have really really helped me put things into focus there is no point in thinking what I could have wrong or feeling down and unhappy because of the ache i have and thinking this is worse than pre op (it 100% is not worse than pre op) I am starting today feeling positive about life and keeping a postive mindset and being happy happy going forward and 1 day I know this will all be worth it
 
Good... but remember: 'As goal without a plan is just a wish'. Saying you want to keep a positive mindset and doing the work to develop coping skills are different things.

Trust me. Do the work. Go to you tube and watch Andy Roddick, he had a hip replacement and you can see how he dealt with things. Hint: crazy workouts.

You have the gift of youth. Use that to your advantage.
 
@Spongebob in many of your posts you mention that post op you are way better then pre op. Not sure why you keep getting down on yourself. You have mentioned that you have some dull hip ache but full range of motion. That is a win. A lot of people keep giving the same advice but you don't seem to want to listen and repeat your question over and over to other members. You sound frustrated but you shouldn't be. The new hip is not going to be perfect and you should expect some dull aches. I'm 9 months out I still can not tie my shoe or put on a sock. Sitting down on a toilet is nearly impossible without pain for me. I think you are focusing on the minor issues and you are searching for something that most likely is not there. If you had an iliosoas issue it would not be a hip 3 pain hip ache. You mentioned you are better off now and you should focus on how fortunate you are. You can make yourself sick by thinking something is wrong. Adding stress is not going to make you feel any better. You should focus on your family and work. Time will pass and the aches will become less frequent. But will always pop up to say hey I'm a fake hip.
 
Last edited:
Sponge,
Great advice from everyone and Mr. Fun's latest post is spot on.
I'll be 2 years post op in February. Many days I don't even feel like I've had a hip replacement, then a day comes along and I might have some numbness in the area, or even groin ache. I just go with the flow, I know nothing is wrong, probably overdid something.
Enjoy your life!
 
It’s not original equipment. It’s aftermarket metal and plastic.
:heehee:
Gotta love that, Charlie! Right, SpongeBob?
I'm sure I shared this somewhere on your thread, but I will repeat something my surgeon's PA told me very early on. She said - Your prosthetic hip will never match your natural hip. However, it will get pretty darned close.
I hope with the passage of time, yours feels more natural and your awareness of it's presence is no longer in the forefront of your mind. Have a great weekend SB!
 
@Spongebob in many of your posts you mention that post op you are way better then pre op. Not sure why you keep getting down on yourself. You have mentioned that you have some dull hip ache but full range of motion. That is a win. A lot of people keep giving the same advice but you don't seem to want to listen and repeat your question over and over to other members. You sound frustrated but you shouldn't be. The new hip is not going to be perfect and you should expect some dull aches. I'm 9 months out I still can not tie my shoe or put on a sock. Sitting down on a toilet is nearly impossible without pain for me. I think you are focusing on the minor issues and you are searching for something that most likely is not there. If you had an iliosoas issue it would not be a hip 3 pain hip ache. You mentioned you are better off now and you should focus on how fortunate you are. You can make yourself sick by thinking something is wrong. Adding stress is not going to make you feel any better. You should focus on your family and work. Time will pass and the aches will become less frequent. But will always pop up to say hey I'm a fake hip.
That's good to read that and I fully take it on board, so what you're saying is the aches will become less frequent with more time?(why does it seem more of an ache now than it was 2 months ago?
 
Sponge,
Great advice from everyone and Mr. Fun's latest post is spot on.
I'll be 2 years post op in February. Many days I don't even feel like I've had a hip replacement, then a day comes along and I might have some numbness in the area, or even groin ache. I just go with the flow, I know nothing is wrong, probably overdid something.
Enjoy your life!
Why does my ache feel more prominent than it was 6 weeks ago and at night I can feel it throbbing
 
It’s not original equipment. It’s aftermarket metal and plastic.
:heehee:
Gotta love that, Charlie! Right, SpongeBob?
I'm sure I shared this somewhere on your thread, but I will repeat something my surgeon's PA told me very early on. She said - Your prosthetic hip will never match your natural hip. However, it will get pretty darned close.
I hope with the passage of time, yours feels more natural and your awareness of it's presence is no longer in the forefront of your mind. Have a great weekend SB!
Why does the dull deep hip ache feel more prominent now than it was 6 weeks ago that's what i can't get I'm just hoping it's my body recovering and it will ease with more time
 
You Need to go through your post. Numerous members have answered these questions to you Over and over and over again. It's frustrating for me to read your post and equal frustrating to have to repeat myself. It's obvious that you are not happy with the advice/answers your are getting from the people on this form, Hence why numerous memebers have told you to check in with your surgeon.

I believe @Charlie33 gave you excellent advice about physiotherapy and pain management however you choose not to listen to him.. And then you reword your questions and ask him again hoping for a different answer. What answers are you looking for you so that you do not keep asking the same questions over and over again?

We are not doctors. We are patients just like yourself. Everyone heals differently and has a different experience with hip replacements. This has also been said to you before numerous times. For some odd reason you seem to always come back with a "SO WHAT YOU ARE SAYING......None of us are saying anything just advice on personal experience.

Hopefully you kind find peace soon and have a clear mind to help you heal. And no I am not saying having a clear mind is what is needed to heal but it doesn't hurt.
 
Last edited:
You Need to go through your post. Numerous members have answered these questions to you Over and over and over again. It's frustrating for me to read your post and equal frustrating to have to repeat myself. It's obvious that you are not happy with the advice/answers your are getting from the people on this form, Hence why numerous memebers have told you to check in with your surgeon.

I believe @Charlie33 gave you excellent advice about physiotherapy and pain management however you choose not to listen to him.. And then you reword your questions and ask him again hoping for a different answer. What answers are you looking for you so that you do not keep asking the same questions over and over again?

We are not doctors. We are patients just like yourself. Everyone heals differently and has a different experience with hip replacements. This has also been said to you before numerous times. Buy for some odd reason you seem to always come back with a "SO WHAT YOU ARE SAYING......None of us are saying anything just advice on personal experience.

Hopefully you kind find peace soon and have a clear mind to help you heal. And no I am not saying having a clear mind is what is needed to heal but it doesn't hurt.
Thank you I am now thinking more clearly and I know that bumps on the road to recovery are going to happen :) it's just the normal part of recovery maybe overdoing it from time to time casuing me to have inflamed tendons (which is what I am.sure I have) but for peace of mind I have a mri scan booked for Friday and also I'm seeing a higher level physio Friday too and also im going to see my surgeon tomorrow for more peace of mind so hopefully in a few months time i can look back at this and say wow why was I worrying so much:)
P.s happy Tuesday everyone
 
Spongebob,
Wondering what your surgeon had to say on Wednesday, whether you like the new Physio you met with yesterday and if you had the MRI as scheduled? Hopefully you received some reassuring news from someone.
Let us know when you have time.
@Spongebob
 
Spongebob,
Wondering what your surgeon had to say on Wednesday, whether you like the new Physio you met with yesterday and if you had the MRI as scheduled? Hopefully you received some reassuring news from someone.
Let us know when you have time.
@Spongebob
Hi i had the mri scan on Friday evening now awaiting results (hopefully nothing wrong just need more time)
My surgeon had to move my appointment to 2 weeks time
And the physio i saw here in the uk is really not very helpful but I am pushing on and staying postive that 1 day all this will be worth it but thanks for your support and advice :)
 
Back
Top Bottom