THR Spongebob's Recovery Journey

Hi just thought i would post a quick update I'm 9.5 months out from left THR and 2 months ago I had a dull hip ache probably a 2 but now the ache is probably a 4 on the scale and I was getting concerned about it when I walk i feel a slight limp (not sure if its a muscle inbalance casuing all my issues ache wise,limp)to the point my doctor has ordered a mri scan to see if there is anything going on infection,tendinitis, or whatever.
I was just thinking well I'm 9.5 months out and surely i should be feeling better not worse but have heard it could take up to 18 months to 2 years for my body to fully heal and everything to adjust and the ache to fade I'm really hoping the Mri reveals nothing wrong and it's just more time with my body healing and in a few months time (past the magical 12 months mark) I start to feel alot better physically and mentally :)
Just wanted to hear if people felt worse before they felt better and if anyone has been in my postion nearly 10 months out and still feeling like I'm not improving much.
And has anyone had tendinitis or a infection
 
And has anyone had tendinitis or a infection
Hi Spongebob, I am sorry you continue to be plagued by this mentally and physically. Your best bet is to wait and see what the MRI reveals. Has it been scheduled yet and If so, do you mind sharing the date?

Many members have had tendinitis and some also struggled with infection and recovered. Here is a link to those that have dealt with Infection Hip Infection* Troubling yourself with scenarios that may never be your reality is probably not the best idea. Please understand that you won't magically feel better as you hit the twelve month mark. This is a slow gradual process for many and you may continue to notice improvement into the second and even third years post op. Hopefully the MRI is scheduled and you'll soon learn the origin of your discomfort / pain and be able to move forward from there. Wishing you all the best!
 
And has anyone had tendinitis or a infection
Hi Spongebob, I am sorry you continue to be plagued by this mentally and physically. Your best bet is to wait and see what the MRI reveals. Has it been scheduled yet and If so, do you mind sharing the date?

Many members have had tendinitis and some also struggled with infection and recovered. Here is a link to those that have dealt with Infection Hip Infection* Troubling yourself with scenarios that may never be your reality is probably not the best idea. Please understand that you won't magically feel better as you hit the twelve month mark. This is a slow gradual process for many and you may continue to notice improvement into the second and even third years post op. Hopefully the MRI is scheduled and you'll soon learn the origin of your discomfort / pain and be able to move forward from there. Wishing you all the best!
@Layla thanks for your support my mri is not scheduled here in the UK my gp ordered it then I have to wait for the hospital to contact me either by phone or letter to confirm when it is i am not sure if i want the mri to show nothing wrong then i know its just more time or i want the mri to show something wrong ie tendinitis or a nerve or something pushing on something it should not be like my psoas muscle being inpinged I am really trying to remain positive but its hard at the minute I'm really hoping soon i turn a corner physically and mentally :)
 
Have you read threads here on impingement and psoas release? If so, wondering if it sounds like what you're dealing with?

I do not doubt your discomfort, or increasing pain and wish you were having the MRI soon to rule things out and possibly learn the origin of your ongoing struggle. Hang in there and don't do anything that you notice aggravates or causes increased pain later in the day, or the next day. I'm sorry for your struggles, SB. :console2:
@Spongebob
 
Have you read threads here on impingement and psoas release? If so, wondering if it sounds like what you're dealing with?

I do not doubt your discomfort, or increasing pain and wish you were having the MRI soon to rule things out and possibly learn the origin of your ongoing struggle. Hang in there and don't do anything that you notice aggravates or causes increased pain later in the day, or the next day. I'm sorry for your struggles, SB. :console2:
@Spongebob
Thanks so much me too Is there a thread on psoas and impingement?
Not sure if i want to see something wrong on the mri or not lol
 
Do you see a SEARCH on the top right of the page in the dark blue navigational bar? It has a magnifying glass next to it? If you do, type in key words such as "psoas impingement" and all threads where it's been mentioned will pop up and you can read through them. Hope this helps.
@Spongebob
 
Do you see a SEARCH on the top right of the page in the dark blue navigational bar? It has a magnifying glass next to it? If you do, type in key words such as "psoas impingement" and all threads where it's been mentioned will pop up and you can read through them. Hope this helps.
@Spongebob
Will that be the same for tendinitis?
:)
 
Question has anyone ever had issues after surgery with there psoas?
 
This is a very frequent problem with post-op hip patients. If you think this may be an issue for you, I suggest you see your GP for a referral for therapy.
 
Would i be ok to ring my doctors to ask for some more physio for my deep groin ache if its a psoas issue that needs specific physio?
 
Yes, that's what I was suggesting. Just be sure you let the doctor and your therapist know this is what you believe may be the problem.
 
Right so I have been to see the physio today he said I have good range of movement in my hip and good strengh but I said what's causing the pain after a gym workout and he said it's.my hip flexor is not strong enough to deal with that level of activity yet and needs to be stretched and strengthened

Could this be true anyone had any experience of this
Hi! Went back to August 9th post which was when you provided feedback from your physio. Twelve weeks/three months has passed, and the common thread / theme is hip strength is good, but weak hip flexor, which is related to the psoas muscle you've been posting on. Suspect you have a shortened hip flexor from years of biomechanical imbalances. This will not 'heal' without targeted physio or, as a last resort, surgery. Tight, weak muscles cause pain. I would do everything I can to avoid surgery, start a program of physio, keep a notebook/diary of exercises and logical progressions to increase load to strengthen muscles/tendons/joints. Good luck!
 
Right so I have been to see the physio today he said I have good range of movement in my hip and good strengh but I said what's causing the pain after a gym workout and he said it's.my hip flexor is not strong enough to deal with that level of activity yet and needs to be stretched and strengthened

Could

be true anyone had any experience of this
Hi! Went back to August 9th post which was when you provided feedback from your physio. Twelve weeks/three months has passed, and the common thread / theme is hip strength is good, but weak hip flexor, which is related to the psoas muscle you've been posting on. Suspect you have a shortened hip flexor from years of biomechanical imbalances. This will not 'heal' without targeted physio or, as a last resort, surgery. Tight, weak muscles cause pain. I would do everything I can to avoid surgery, start a program of physio, keep a notebook/diary of exercises and logical progressions to increase load to strengthen muscles/tendons/joints. Good luck!
Why would I need surgery can you even have surgery on a shortened hip flexor?
Also wouldn't a shortened hip flexor be really painful not just a ache?
Surely if they are tight or weak they can be fixed by strenghing ?
 
First question: Have you been reading the threads you've been posting on? I recall you have been posting on threads where folks have had 'psoas release surgery'. This is why I said that. I also said 'last resort'. See your OS for further questions on this, online world will not be helpful for you.

Second question: No. It will ache. Don't over think the pain. Your pain is all 0-3 category.

Third question: Answer is on August 9th this is what your physio said you needed to do.

 
First question: Have you been reading the threads you've been posting on? I recall you have been posting on threads where folks have had 'psoas release surgery'. This is why I said that. I also said 'last resort'. See your OS for further questions on this, online world will not be helpful for you.

Second question: No. It will ache. Don't over think the pain. Your pain is all 0-3 category.

Third question: Answer is on August 9th this is what your physio said you needed to do.

Answer to question 2:when you say don't overthink it as it will ache do you mean as my body is still adjusting and healing.

Also you said my pain is all 0-3 category I don't understand do you mean at the time the ache was 0-3 on the scale?

Answer to question 1: i got you
 
Question 2: your body has healed. You are waaaay past post op healing process. Adjusting? That is the process that never ends post op….but is often done successfully with targeted physio to improve area of weakness and help relieve pain. Period. Your psoas / hip flexor need work. But again the help will not come from listening to me or anyone here: this will come from working with professional who can put their hands on you and determine a proper course of treatment. You’ve been given this advice consistently over many many months and yet consistently keep circling around the problem versus taking the action to improve your situation aka August 9 post. Your physio nailed this three months ago!! I’m not trying to be mean or anything, I’m just being more ‘forward’ in my advice! Hope you understand it comes from the right place. Thanks
 
Question 2: your body has healed. You are waaaay past post op healing process. Adjusting? That is the process that never ends post op….but is often done successfully with targeted physio to improve area of weakness and help relieve pain. Period. Your psoas / hip flexor need work. But again the help will not come from listening to me or anyone here: this will come from working with professional who can put their hands on you and determine a proper course of treatment. You’ve been given this advice consistently over many many months and yet consistently keep circling around the problem versus taking the action to improve your situation aka August 9 post. Your physio nailed this three months ago!! I’m not trying to be mean or anything, I’m just being more ‘forward’ in my advice! Hope you understand it comes from the right place. Thanks
I totally understand thanks (probably the kick up the butt i needed) that's why I have got a higher bans physio appointment next Friday and they have ordered a mri scan for me for peace of mind and hopefully rule everything out (hoping so) also I thought recovery can take up to 18 months to 2 years?
 
Glad you’re taking it as tough love haha!

For me… and just me... THR is a lifetime of maintenance to both maintain and improve function. There is no concrete ‘end’…for me! But also I’m 55 and want ‘more’. I’ve had plenty of setbacks over the last year, and still have another bad hip to go. Fighting some psoas issues myself at this minute from too much sitting (new job) and I wasn’t doing my exercises. So I am sitting less, exercising more and slowly reducing pain. Until the next thing! This all translates to making room in your life for pain. Embrace it. And don’t let it ruin your mood or day. Easier said that done!
 
Back
Top Bottom