THR Spongebob's Recovery Journey

Yes, hang in there, SB, and go on with your life. Refrain from doing things that you know aggravate your hip, don't test it, putting it through movement to see if "it still hurts".

Live life to your best ability and while you do have some discomfort, you often seem to describe it as minimal, so remind yourself there are many that would love to deal with "minimal" over their undesirable result.
Go in peace and have a wonderful weekend! A BoneSmart blessing :heehee: :wink:
@Spongebob
 
Yes, hang in there, SB, and go on with your life. Refrain from doing things that you know aggravate your hip, don't test it, putting it through movement to see if "it still hurts".

Live life to your best ability and while you do have some discomfort, you often seem to describe it as minimal, so remind yourself there are many that would love to deal with "minimal" over their undesirable result.
Go in peace and have a wonderful weekend! A BoneSmart blessing :heehee: :wink:
@Spongebob
@Layla That's sound advice there the discomfort is only mainly while I'm weight bearing on it a 3-4 and like now I'm at home resting the ache is down to a 1-2
 
I have another hip replacement ahead of me. The pain and swelling and tightness I am experiencing is recovery pain. My other hip will catch occasionally when I walk which is my hip pain. My sister would ask questions when I mentioned something not feeling quite right. I was not amused with the questions but it helped me to pinpoint where the hurt was. I would love to buy a bag of patience but I never seem to find it. I would love to be the unicorn who heals quickly but I alas I am not. I have been more active the past couple of days and find myself needing to ice more. Reading posts from members who are past the year mark let’s me see people who are resuming their activities with gusto!
 
I have another hip replacement ahead of me. The pain and swelling and tightness I am experiencing is recovery pain. My other hip will catch occasionally when I walk which is my hip pain. My sister would ask questions when I mentioned something not feeling quite right. I was not amused with the questions but it helped me to pinpoint where the hurt was. I would love to buy a bag of patience but I never seem to find it. I would love to be the unicorn who heals quickly but I alas I am not. I have been more active the past couple of days and find myself needing to ice more. Reading posts from members who are past the year mark let’s me see people who are resuming their activities with gusto!
@Hippie Chick I really hope mine fades so i can resume my active life How far post op are you?
 
Last edited:
Hi Spongebob,
Hippie Chick's surgery date was August 31, 2023 so she is only about six weeks post op.

Every members surgery date shows on their posts. If you're accessing the forum with your phone you may have to turn it sideways to landscape position, then it's likely you'll see Hippie Chick's surgery date.
Try it and see...
@Spongebob
 
6 weeks- I am still in recovery mode- pains, swelling, etc. What I was hoping to say was I can notice that it’s recovery issues as opposed to why I had surgery. It’s not easy, some days are rough but I have great hope I will resume normal activities at some point. People are swimming, diving, horseback riding, hiking, running races, etc. It’s a slow journey.
 
6 weeks- I am still in recovery mode- pains, swelling, etc. What I was hoping to say was I can notice that it’s recovery issues as opposed to why I had surgery. It’s not easy, some days are rough but I have great hope I will resume normal activities at some point. People are swimming, diving, horseback riding, hiking, running races, etc. It’s a slow journey.
These people may be horseback riding and hiking and running races but not as soon as they might tell you it's definitely a slow process and recovery can be hard but we will all get there and it will definitely be worth it in the end so stay positive and be happy:)
 
@Spongebob … as I mentioned earlier, I’m one year out and still having some soft tissue pain. It can be in various places and sometimes the surgery leg even feels a bit weak when I put weight on it. I have previously had issues with pronation, so I wondered if that might be part or all of my problem.

I had a thought the other day and dug out some old orthotics I had from years ago. Sadly, I could only find one to put in my shoe, but it was the one for my surgery leg. I put it in my shoe and my whole leg immediately felt better from the arch and side-of-the-foot support. I could walk more normally, though not for long distances still,.

I am going to see my podiatrist next week for a regular appointment and will ask her if I can get a new prescription for orthotics. I suggest that you make an appointment with a podiatrist to be evaluated. With your history, you certainly could have some gait issues that are giving you some of this pain.
 
@Spongebob … as I mentioned earlier, I’m one year out and still having some soft tissue pain. It can be in various places and sometimes the surgery leg even feels a bit weak when I put weight on it. I have previously had issues with pronation, so I wondered if that might be part or all of my problem.

I had a thought the other day and dug out some old orthotics I had from years ago. Sadly, I could only find one to put in my shoe, but it was the one for my surgery leg. I put it in my shoe and my whole leg immediately felt better from the arch and side-of-the-foot support. I could walk more normally, though not for long distances still,.

I am going to see my podiatrist next week for a regular appointment and will ask her if I can get a new prescription for orthotics. I suggest that you make an appointment with a podiatrist to be evaluated. With your history, you certainly could have some gait issues that are giving you some of this pain.
That sounds good to me what orthotics did you put in was they specially made or just standard ones I can but from amazon?maybe some of my pain is coming from my gate being off I will defo try a insole
 
It's important to see a podiatrist rather than trying to pick something off the internet. Custom orthotics are made just for you from a special mold that the doctor will use. You won't get the same results from anything you purchase from Amazon or other sources. Insoles will not do any good at all. They do not correct for alignment and gait problem.
 
I have never heard of buying orthotics of the shelf. I believe those are insoles. insoles are completely different. insoles are for extra cushion in your shoes. Orthotics are specifically made for u. Orthotics are specifically made to help people with poor gait. you can go to a chiropractor as well. They will have you walk across a Matt to see for weight in balances/pressure points on your foot.
 
Here in the US (I’m not sure about other countries), it is possible to buy a generic orthotic insert in drug stores and pharmacies. You’ll stand in your socks on a special pad in the store that analyzes your foot problems in a very general way. The computer program then recommends one or more of their specialized orthotic inserts that are hanging on a rack nearby. There is a wide variety of choices available and it works for some people. One step up from this is to go to a shoe store like The Good Feet Store or Comfory Plus Shoes and have an analysis done by their trained experts. They also recommend orthotic inserts from a fairly wide inventory of products for the more common problems. The best approach, though, is to see a podiatrist who will analyze your gait and take impressions of your feet for a customized orthotic product. To do the impressions, you stand with one foot at a time in a box filled with a molding material that creates an exact image of your foot that indicates where the abnormal pressure points are that need correction. This mold is sent off and the custom orthotics are created for each foot. Sometimes, if the problem is bad enough, the recommendation may be made to have the corrective orthotic built into a shoe for you to wear. My experience with this was not particularly pleasant as I had to order a half size larger shoe and felt like I “clomped” when I walked. Thankfully, things eventually stabilized in my foot and I didn’t need those shoes any longer.
 
Here in the US (I’m not sure about other countries), it is possible to buy a generic orthotic insert in drug stores and pharmacies. You’ll stand in your socks on a special pad in the store that analyzes your foot problems in a very general way. The computer program then recommends one or more of their specialized orthotic inserts that are hanging on a rack nearby. There is a wide variety of choices available and it works for some people. One step up from this is to go to a shoe store like The Good Feet Store or Comfory Plus Shoes and have an analysis done by their trained experts. They also recommend orthotic inserts from a fairly wide inventory of products for the more common problems. The best approach, though, is to see a podiatrist who will analyze your gait and take impressions of your feet for a customized orthotic product. To do the impressions, you stand with one foot at a time in a box filled with a molding material that creates an exact image of your foot that indicates where the abnormal pressure points are that need correction. This mold is sent off and the custom orthotics are created for each foot. Sometimes, if the problem is bad enough, the recommendation may be made to have the corrective orthotic built into a shoe for you to wear. My experience with this was not particularly pleasant as I had to order a half size larger shoe and felt like I “clomped” when I walked. Thankfully, things eventually stabilized in my foot and I didn’t need those shoes any longer.
Did you have a ache in your groin/hip after your surgery say like me 9 months later and up to a year?
 
Yes. I still have some discomfort that comes and goes and it also moves around to different parts of my upper leg.
 
Yes. I still have some discomfort that comes and goes and it also moves around to different parts of my upper leg.
But my dull hip ache is constant all day but doesn't get worse with whatever activity I do to be honest but was just wondering if it was still recovery THR ache and will hopefully fade off
 
No one here can tell you yes or no for sure on your concern. If you want an answer to that, you’ll need to go back and visit with your surgeon or seek a second opinion on any problems you are having. They will do imaging that could shed some light on anything that might be going on. I’ve recommended many times that you do this, but you don’t seem willing to see a medical professional again for some reason.
 
@Spongebob I agree with @Jamie you need to get with your surgeon or seek a second opinion. I did just that as I had lingering pain in my THR hip well past the one year mark.

Did some research, decided on an OS that I wanted to see and asked my primary care doctor to put a referral in for me. Turns out I had trochanteric bursitis as well as tight IT bands on both sides. But if I hadn't gone to see an OS I would have never gotten a definitive answer and the cortisone injections that helped give me some relief. Otherwise you're just going to sit here and keep guessing and asking us to do the same. Wish you the best.
 
Cortisone injections is a definite no for me the thing is the ache isn't too bad i have heard it can last 12 months.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom