Guest viewing is limited

THR Spongebob's Recovery Journey

Well Sponge you made it to your one year anniversary! Congratulations!
As you now realize this recovery is so individual. No two of us recover quite the same.
And it's not a speedy recovery either, it's what I like to refer to a "process" recovery. You hit different milestones along the recovery road.
So why not take a look back at where you started a year ago to where you are today & see how far you've come!
Enjoy!
 
Cracking advice:) I was informed on my mri report that I have weak muscles in my operated hip casuing other muscles to work overtime to help and thus casuing inflammation but was told if I work on strengthening my glutes/hip muscles it should settle down
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@myglasshalffull That's a great way of looking at it and yes I have come a long way since this time last year but still not 100% to where I want to be and you do hit bumps on the road to recovery like now for me I have got weak muscles on my operated hip which has caused other muscles around my hip to work overtime to help out which they dont like and has caused inflammation in there but I'm meeting with a personal trainer tonight to discuses a plan to help me stenghen up my glute muscles and hip flexors which should help the inflammation settle down :) :)
 
@Spongebob awesome to hear you are getting on track....look forward to hearing more.

To give you a bit more context on progress from on my long previous post from where I was a year ago today 1/18/2023.... I was 8 weeks out of surgery. Lost my job a month prior while on disability leave. Felt depressed, anxious wondering what was next. Opposite hip in more pain than operated hip hindering recovery. Physical therapist was verbally abusive on my progress, 'you should be running around here at this point'...I tried another PT and failed in her eyes too....Couldn't sit for more than 20 minutes, too painful for operated side...My operated side hip flexor muscle FROZEN from lack of use / wasting over a decade plus of atrophy: could not sit up like a 'normal person', even for a post Op THR dude. I used to sit on my couch, drifting in and out of a nap saying to myself 'the is a waking nightmare'..... I even lost some friends who 'left me behind' because I couldn't go out and do things like I used to.... My identity as an athletic, fit guy? Gone....A bright spot during this period was Bonesmart, where I could both post and read stories which made me feel a) like I wasn't crazy and b) get helpful tips nudging me in different directions of thought to improve things.

It wasn't until June 2023 that, as my wife said, something clicked and it started to make solid improvement. And that lasted for a month...until I pulled a muscle in operated hip 'overdoing it' which set me back another two months...

What I'm saying is this: I think many folks have a version of this story who post here for hips, knees etc.. in the end, I knew if I couldn't claw my way out of the hole I was in my family would suffer the most. So mentally/physically I grinded it out using my family as inspiration.....and while in a much better place a year later still grinding it out today.

Keep us posted!
 
A bright spot during this period was Bonesmart, where I could both post and read stories which made me feel a) like I wasn't crazy and b) get helpful tips nudging me in different directions of thought to improve things.
You've certainly given helpful tips to our friend, SpongeBob, Charlie. Even when things aren't as we hoped they'd be, it is comforting to have the support of those that understand. I am sorry to read of all you've been through, Charlie, but it's inspirational to know that through, patience, determination and hard work, things are looking up for you. I have faith that, SpongeBob, will also work through the issues he feels are holding him back.
Thanks for your awesome support here, Charlie! Thanks to both of you for sharing your journey with all.
Have a great day and weekend, guys!
 
@Jamie hope your well im So sorry your dealing with similar issues to me and I have been told it can take up to 2 years until you feel wow where has that ache I had gone I feel amazing and so much better hope yours resolves the same as mine it's weird as I now have started to feel a slight ache in my good hip (well not prosthetic :)) i am wondering if its just my body readjusting and a bit of overcompensating from my new hip as on my mri report it states I have mild trochanteric bursitis in my good hip but when I had my mri done in November I felt nothing on my right hip it just seems weird since I had the report I noticed a ache on my good hip I'm also wondering if it could be a phantom pain as heard that can happen also :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
As you know from experience, pains can move around and come and go. I wouldn’t worry about something that pops up unless it becomes worse with time or is interfering with your mobility.

The good news for me is that my new orthotics are making a difference. My pain has reduced in the past couple of weeks and I feel strengthening and stretching in those tight hip muscles now.
 
i am wondering if its just my body readjusting and a bit of overcompensating from my new hip as on my mri report it states I have mild trochanteric bursitis in my good hip but when I had my mri done in November I felt nothing on my right hip it just seems weird since I had the report I noticed a ache on my good hip I'm also wondering if it could be a phantom pain as heard that can happen also :)


@Spongebob BINGO! Yes your other hip will absolutely get grumpy! Mine was consistently grumpy for the first 9 months post op and now much better with the occasional 'tweek'. Post surgery your pelvis and lower back are making all sorts of adjustments during the first year (and beyond) to new biomechanics etc. According to my physiatrist, my natural, moderately arthritic hip sits a little higher in my pelvis and will continue to bother me until, well, I replace it! Overall though through all the stuff I've ranted about (LOL), it got waaaaaay better.

Also (@Layla hope posting a product ok!) I find a cream called Penetrex has given me much relief on the outer hip where you describe discomfort. You can find it on Amazon (but a tad pricey)

Hope that helps explain what you are noticing!
 
Posting the name of a product that works for you is perfectly acceptable. We just don’t permit direct commercial links to purchase specific products.
 
As you know from experience, pains can move around and come and go. I wouldn’t worry about something that pops up unless it becomes worse with time or is interfering with your mobility.

The good news for me is that my new orthotics are making a difference. My pain has reduced in the past couple of weeks and I feel strengthening and stretching in those tight hip muscles now.
Hi nice to hear i know aches and pains come and go but seems weird my hip never ached in 40 years until now What strenghing and stretching do you do
 
No specific exercises other than walking right now. But when I walk with my new orthotics, I’m finally able to take a longer stride that seems to be stretching the muscles in my hip. I believe my gait is slowly improving. I look for it to be a long process, though. For now, I’ve opted to give myself a couple of months before trying any official physical therapy.
 
No specific exercises other than walking right now. But when I walk with my new orthotics, I’m finally able to take a longer stride that seems to be stretching the muscles in my hip. I believe my gait is slowly improving. I look for it to be a long process, though. For now, I’ve opted to give myself a couple of months before trying any official physical therapy.
Well i have been told by another physio that yes, likely its just a reset. In the most basic sense our hip/knee/ankle should all do 33% of our movement, and a 50/50 split left and right but your hip has been slacking at say 10% (due to pain etc) which means the knee and ankle on that side are trying to make up 12.5% each so doing 45.5% but the whole leg is probably only doing 35-40% so the other leg is left with 60-60% of the work. Now your body is trying to rebalance all that and it takes time to learn new movement patterns. And it will settle down over time once things realign but its Much harder to unlearn a limp than to learn one sadly
 
Love the advice you got... 10 out of 10! On limping: had a slight limp for better part of 20 years. Walked up to meet an old friend for a coffee a few weeks ago and she said 'and wow you walk normally now!' Best compliment and yes takes time to grease up those hip flexors!
 
Hey there spongie! I'm 21 months out and I had weakness and soreness for over a year. Even now I have to constantly work on my glute medius and hip flexor strength. My hip flexor is still not 100% as strong as before the THR and I exercise A LOT. What has been most helpful to me is a consistent exercise regimen and LOTS of walking! Swimming with PROPER form (kicking from the hip, not the knees) is a good too. Like life, it's a marathon not a sprint. Happy New Year!
Thanks for that and happy new to you too when you say you exercise alot what do you do?
And so muscle weakness casuing inflammation after 12 months is pretty normal then and if I work on strenghing my hip muscles it should settle it down
What is the consistent exercise regimen you do
Sorry for the late reply!! But. I do A LOT... probably not typical for most people, let alone a person of my age and musculoskeletal issues... with that said. I do McGill big 3 core work nearly daily, fitnessfaqs stuff... calisthenics. Squat University is a great resource for core as well, I love Da Rulk's Functional fitness stuff.. which i found on centr.com to which i have a paid subscription and basically just a lot of varying gymnastics/calisthenics work. I work with resistance bands as i travel a lot and don't have access to gyms regularly. Youtube has been a great but overwhelming resource but Ive found that if you research a good routine and stick to it for a while, good regimens will give results. Also, I get as much ocean openwater swimming and scuba diving in as I possibly can. Consistency is key!!
 
Just a quick question why does my good hip ache now (never done it in 40 years) as it seems my operated hip is getting better too it seems its 1 step forward and 3 back at the minute
 
I agree with, myglasshalffull, above that it may be your gait, especially if you're favoring your left leg at all when its bothering you. Or a reaction to exercise or overactivity.

When is the last time you had your right hip x-rayed...were there any changes indicating you'll need that hip replaced in the near future?

Have a nice weekend, SpongeBob.
 
I agree with, myglasshalffull, above that it may be your gait, especially if you're favoring your left leg at all when its bothering you. Or a reaction to exercise or overactivity.

When is the last time you had your right hip x-rayed...were there any changes indicating you'll need that hip replaced in the near future?

Have a nice weekend, SpongeBob.
It has been a while I had a mri in November but I see my surgeon Monday for what I reckon will be the last appointment for me but I'm going to ask for a xray when I'm there to see but it's weird it's only happening now my operated hip is getting better so I'm going to see what he says about it in terms of the best way forward also I have more physio booked for week after next so I'm going to ask them what is best also if I can get a gait analysis etc.. Happy weekend folks :)
 
Sounds like a good plan to get some answers and continue with your healing process. It may seem slow, but you are making improvements.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom