Revision TKR Sondrals’ Revision

OP
OP
S

sondrals

senior
Country
United States United States
Well tomorrow will be 3 weeks out and let me tell you, I’m highly disappointed I’m not fully recovered by now! Kinda kidding, kinda not. I’m still struggling a bit with straight and being able to prop my leg up straight out in front of me. The back, one particular tendon I think, is super tight and I keep working on it but man is it sore. My bend seems to be coming along but I have no idea what it is, more than last week, so figure that’s good.

I dumbly, mostly out of necessity due to lack of time off, went back to work part time this week. It was much too early, but thankfully I have a desk job and it’s doable but I’m sore, grumpy and tired a lot. I iat my desk and only work 4 hours a day.

Met with the surgeon (again) today, my lateral release on my right knee is scheduled for December 17th. So at least that’s on the books now it’s just a matter of time and making sure my other knee is in a place where I can do it. Which means no pushing things too much and causing any set backs. Can’t say I’m thrilled about another surgery but at least this one is a day surgery.

All in all I’m doing alright, I wish things didn’t hurt, I wish I could confidently walk without a walker. But, maybe that’ll all come eventually.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Please, please fight those unrealistic urges that you should be healed so quickly. Remember all this knee has been through. Don't push it....let yourself heal. I suggest you read your recovery articles frequently just to remind yourself how recovery normally progresses. It's always slower than you want, but you do want this to turn out well. Pushing too hard can mess that up.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
my lateral release on my right knee is scheduled for December 17th. So at least that’s on the books now it’s just a matter of time and making sure my other knee is in a place where I can do it.
I've added your lateral release to you signature and listed your name in the
December Supernovas team thread. Do let us know if the date changes, won't you?

OP
OP
S

sondrals

senior
Country
My orginal surgeon called me today and told me Dr. Reyes texted him and has an opening this weekend and could do my lateral release. I told him regretfully I don't feel I am recovered enough from my previous surgery to undergo that this weekend. Plus zero warning for my bf to take time off (he works weekends). Kinda sad, as much as I want to just jump and get it done, it seems a better situation in more ways than one, to wait. Little bit bummed, but it's probably for the better that I don't just jump into things.

Revision lefty

Country
Hi, Sodrals I think you were smart to not get your lateral release done right now. I had that done a while back, and that was a bit of a recovery for me. I can’t imagine dealing with a knee replacement and the lateral release at the same time. Good luck with both.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
@sondrals.....I'm so proud of you! You're listening to your body and responding in the way that you know is best for you. Good for you, my friend!! You won't regret waiting a bit. There is no hurry for any of this and it's best to take slow steps forward.

OP
OP
S

sondrals

senior
Country
I hate everything right now. I’m still using a walker at 4 weeks out. I still have this awful limp that this surgery was supposed to fix. I’m most likely losing my job at the end of the year if not sooner. And no one wants to hire a disabled person. Covid is out of control here with our numbers soaring. I can’t go anywhere, do anything for myself. Having my first tkr was the biggest mistake I’ve ever made in my life

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
@sondrals .... remember our article on the Post Op Blues?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

At 4 weeks out, you're in prime time for that! Add in job insecurity and COVID concerns and it's perfectly understandable that you'd feel down. This is a time to pamper yourself whenever you can. Try to find at least one thing you like to do each day and take time to do it. Take plenty of naps when you can to supplement your nighttime sleep. Lack of sleep can take a big toll on not only your physical well being but your mental state as well. Call friends and chat. Maybe some of them would be available to pick up lunch and bring it by for a socially distanced lunch treat.

You are not disabled. You are just healing and things will get better. Please try to be patient with your body as it continues its healing work. Four weeks is VERY early in any recovery and especially in one where the knee has had lots of surgery in a short amount of time like this knee has.

sistersinhim

Country
We are here for you and understand your emotional down right now. Just know that what you are experiencing right now isn't where you're going to end up. Things will be much better in the future. In the meantime come here and lean on your friends here.

OP
OP
S

sondrals

senior
Country
Thanks guys for all the reassurance. This week has been hard. Lost a family member to Covid. It’s very easy to get down and depressed with all that’s going on in the world.

Went to my one month follow up today. They seem quite pleased with their work :rotfl: kinda got a bit upset at them but was reassured things will most likely figure themselves out. No one understands the limp, it’s quite possibly muscle weakness from 3 surgeries and possibly a habit. They questioned my still using a walker but I told them the porch is icy in the mornings and I don’t want to fall. They all nodded accordingly. I can use my cane but it’s a pain to carry two walking devices and with snow on the way I may just get a second cane to store at the office so I’m not stuck with the walker all day because I all but refuse to not have it when icy. Can wander around the house with my cane but my girlie dog makes me a bit nervous still.

I have been doing PT casually, once a week. I got a new physical therapist this time who I think I really like. We mostly work on weight shifting and quad strength. She is pretty relaxed and doesn’t seem to want to push anything too fast. I told her today I still have to lift my leg by hand a little when I do things like getting in the tub or car so she had me working on that lift/bend/swing motion. Measured my bend at 110 and I’m “just a hair” off being straight.

I feel like I’ve been in some various state of recovery for so long it gets overwhelming sometimes.

Sara61

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
:sad: Sorry for your loss of a family member such a dreadful virus my condolences to you and your family.
I'm glad to read you have finally found a PT therapist whom has sensible attitudes, with all you have been thru it's no surprise that you are feeling overwhelmed, take pride that your surgeons are pleased with your progress, with time and patience you will eventually get your life back, once you are pain free and as your new knees grow stronger, you can improve on your gait and hopefully with time the limp will disappear. Good idea about keeping a walker at work, be careful on the ice, I'm rooting for you and know that soon you will be enjoying life once more xxx

OP
OP
S

sondrals

senior
Country
So I'm 6, almost 7 weeks out from my revision. I have a couple questions maybe someone here can answer, I go back to the PA next week but thought someone here might know.

I have one spot behind my leg, right in the outside, in what feels like a tendon, that is really painful when I try to bend my leg, but it's only if there's some friction. If I can lift my leg a little bit so there's no drag, it doesn't hurt. Is that normal? What is it? Will it ever go away?

My revision leg still feels kinda.... weird? If i put my weight on it, it almost feels like all the muscles are tightening up and then it'll start to get stiff/sore. I'm working on putting more weight on it but honestly I have a really hard time determining how much weight I'm putting on each when standing/walking short of just holding the other leg up in the air. Which I can't quite do yet, should that be a concern?
Is it possible this leg is still weak because of the multiple surgeries (or another reason)?

I guess the good is: I've had moments where it almost felt normal. I still go to PT once a week and they've not bothered measuring my bend/straight because both look fine. We are mostly focusing on weight shifting and getting me to stand on the left leg more evenly. I mostly just use a cane except for outside in the ice and snow (and boy has it been icy lately) and the very first thing in the morning.

The bad is: I don't understand my inability to just... walk... like a normal person. I'm quite frustrating and I may just have to accept I will never walk without a cane. I can't seem to stop myself from lifting my right hip when I walk and no one can quite figure out what's causing it. My right leg hurts like the dickens most of the time. My left still feels a bit like an alien and I can't figure out where to put my feet the majority of the time.

Most likely, 50/50 chance, I won't have a job after the 1st of the year, if not sooner. So now I'm forced to be job hunting in the middle of recovery, and a pandemic, and in all honesty my surgery that's scheduled for December is very much up in the air because of all this. If something happens and it gets cancelled, I most likely won't be able to have it done at all because quite frankly I can't afford another year of paying the max out of pocket with my insurance. On the other hand I'm not 100% sure I should do it at all because I'm not sure I can be hunting for a job and recovering from it at the same time. I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do and in all honesty I'm very bitter towards my boss for encouraging me to get the surgery scheduled then springing this all on me. It's left me very unsure of what to do.

Covid is even more out of control here. We seem to have a large population that refuses to wear masks or social distance. We went from 30-50 cases a day in our town to over 300 a day now. Not only am I terrified of me or my bf catching it but most likely they'll shut the city down again, if they do, then my bf loses his job as well. So, nothing seems to be going overly well lately. It's really hard to stay positive with everything that is going on. I really do regret having any surgeries done. I feel like I would have maybe been better off not having let anyone do anything, but unfortunately I can't take it all back so now I'm just stuck living with it. And I'm not sure what kind of life that leaves for me.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I'm sorry to hear you lost a family member to Covid-19. Hugs!
Elephant hugs .jpg

The bad is: I don't understand my inability to just... walk... like a normal person. I'm quite frustrating and I may just have to accept I will never walk without a cane.
All the problems you're having are going to sort themselves out as time passes. Remember, you're only 6-7 weeks into a year-long recovery . That means you have plenty of time for improvement.
Where you are now is not where you're going to end up.

You wouldn't expect a 7-week-old puppy to b able to do all the things an adult dog can do. Apply the same principle to your knee and stop expecting it to be perfect already.
be ok.jpg

Your PT therapist could help you with improving your gait and reducing your limp. It won't happen fast, but that limp will go away as you get used to a different way of walking.

Starsfan22

Country
God Bless You! You are dealing with so much. Your constant worry may be hindering your recovery. You are using a lot of energy just to deal with life with little left over to use for recovery. Try some meditation, deep breathing exercise if possible, it does make a difference. Stretching all your muscles is a real body/mind relaxer. I had an exercise instructor years ago who would take one day a week to gently stretch every muscle in her body instead of exercising. I was shocked at how it relaxed me and loosened my muscles, making movement easier and helped with flexibility which we are working for in recovery.
My left knee was way slower in every way then my right one. You may just be a slow healer, a lot of my healing happened post 6 mo. Into the process. Hang in there, you will heal.

OP
OP
S

sondrals

senior
Country
2 month follow up today. I have a teeny tiny piece of stitch that’s sticking out but it’s not red or draining or anything. They tried to remove it but it’s actually so small they couldn’t get a hold of it to pull it out so we’re just leaving it there. They didn’t want to irritate things. Just keeping an eye on it for redness or draining.

Also asked about the tendon in the back of my leg, not much they can do it should eventually go away so there’s that.

They are really happy with where I’m at. Had me walk with and without my cane. He said he wished he’d taken a video of my walking a month ago so I could see the difference because there’s a huge improvement. He thinks I’ll eventually lose the limp once my leg is strong but my leg has basically been “assaulted” three times, twice in less than 6 months, so it’s going to take time.

So mostly ok with how it all went but just wish I were further along. The big plus is their parking lot had zero ice so I didn’t have to use my walker at there lol. Small victories

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
You are coming along great and what an understanding surgeon you have!

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Doddy
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom