Revision TKR Sondrals’ Revision

OP
OP
S

sondrals

senior
Country
United States United States
Just had my pre-op appointment. I have to say I’m much more nervous about this surgery than any of the others. I can’t place exactly why, but part of it is he keeps stressing how much more this is going to hurt. I have plenty of pain meds from my previous surgeries but he insisted on prescribing new ones that are double the dosage. I also feel a little bit like this is my “last chance”. I left almost in tears because I’m so scared

Dizzy

Country
Will be all worth it in the end, I'm sure... :console2:

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I totally understand your fear, I would feel the same way. The good news is you are getting good pain medication! Some don’t and/or have to beg for it.

No one knows how the pain and recovery will go until you’re in it. Every recovery is different. It may go better than your doctor thinks. At least he is preparing you for the worst. I was shocked by the pain in my recovery because no one told me what I was actually heading into.

We all wish you the very best!:console2:

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
I agree with Jockette. I think your surgeon is just giving you the worst case scenario in case he has to do a lot of work on your knee. Sometimes all that additional tissue manipulation and bone work can translate into some additional post-op pain. But it's definitely not a given. I'm hoping that you are so happy with a good, sound new knee that any pain seems minimal compared to what you've already been through. Hang in there. We all get the jitters before surgery. It's a normal feeling. Just keep reminding yourself that you've done good research. You've found a surgeon you like and trust. The time is right to get this revision behind you and finally start on a true healing path. Sending (((HUGS))).

newlybionic

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I had a full revision on my left knee and it actually was less painful than the original TKR. I guess it could go either way, but I’m better I feel the same when I have my other knee revision in January.

sistersinhim

Country
We will be here for you no matter what your pain level is. I pray it's much less than your doctor warned you about. Don't forget that ice can be your best friend!

OP
OP
S

sondrals

senior
Country
@newlybionic I'm really glad to hear that! I'm hoping it will be similar to my original surgery, that I'm confident I can deal with as I didn't really think it was all that bad.

I really hope he is preparing me for the worst is all. I have to admit the guy kinda makes me nervous but it's not because I doubt his ability or expertise, but because he has zero personality or sense of humor. I get it's not his job to be all warm and fuzzy and make me feel good and tell me the things I want to hear but it sure would help! Of course I deal with stress by joking about it, so I'm probably weird anyways.

I've got water bottles already in the freezer for the ice machine and several ice packs. We ended up not getting our water line hooked up to our new fridge for the ice maker due to a mess up, but that's ok, I'm going to start making trays of ice and storing them in the bin at least. Plus, it's Alaska, and eventually it'll snow soooo unlimited cooling!

But thank you all for being here, I feel like quite the whiner that I'm still dealing with this a year+ from when I thought I'd be back to mostly normal by now. This has been quite the unexpected ride

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
You are not a whiner, you have legitimate issues and have been through a lot, I would be upset and worried, also! That’s why we hang out together here.

Hang out here with us.
Bonesmart has a wealth of advice, information and support.
We will offer helpful suggestions, :idea:

Cheer your accomplishments :happydance:

And send hugs when you are feeling down. :console2:

Best wishes!

OP
OP
S

sondrals

senior
Country
Did my last test and my Covid test today. No news is good news. Picked up my special soap and pre-surgery drink. They also called with my surgery time. 9:30am the 24th. Panicking a little bit now. Also my hip/back on my right side are out of whack and making me very miserable.

Mom had her hip replacement today. Sounds like things went ok though the surgeon mentioned she has “soft bones” so he wants her to stay on a walker at least 6 weeks. My brother got to go see her, she doesn’t do well with anesthesia and is still completely out of it and when she is awake she’s super sick. Kinda jealous where she’s at let’s them have visitors. None for me.

Finishing up some chores and packing tomorrow, gotta be there at 7:30. Eek!

OP
OP
S

sondrals

senior
Country
Thank you! I’m so nervous and my back is killing me which makes me even more nervous!

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
I've changed your recovery thread prefix from TKR to REVISION TKR.

Being nervous is so normal....try to do things to help distract you today. Rest up if you can. That helps time pass. Have lunch with a friend if possible. Enjoy some nature. Watch some great movies.

Can't wait to hear from you on the recovery side.

Sara61

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
Wishing you luck for your surgery tomorrow xxx

OP
OP
S

sondrals

senior
Country
I’m out of surgery and in my room now. Not much pain but my whole leg feels numb down to my toes. Pretty nauseous but was able to eat some jello. Mostly just want to nap but they’re taking my vitals every 15 minutes for the first two hours. Haven’t walked yet, waiting until I have to tinkle :heehee:

newlybionic

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Congratulations on your new knee! I’m glad you are doing ok so far. Try to sleep this evening if you can especially while your leg is still numb.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Welcome to recovery again, @sondrals .
I'm pleased to hear your surgery is over. Now, on to recovery and, hopefully, a more acceptable result this time.

I'll give you a repeat set of the recovery guidelines as a refresher, so you don't have to go back in your thread to look for them:

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
How great to hear from you and know you are doing okay. Your surgeon likely used some pain medication directly in your incision before closing, so you may have a few days with little pain. This is a good thing and can keep any inflammation down in the critical early days. Just remember to go slow and not try to do too much since things don't hurt. You're still very tender and recovering.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Great hearing from you so soon, hang in there!

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Cindylou
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom