Guest viewing is limited

THR Sometimes peachy, sometimes the pits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peaches -- just stopped by to say good morning. I hope you get a little down time for the holiday.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Sometimes peachy, sometimes the pits
Have a great 4th!
 
Hello Peaches Happy 4th. I hope you can have the day off to relax a little bit, and stay cool. It's sweltering in Conn. and must be even worse in the city. Best to stay indoors where it's nice and cool. I hope everthing is going well for you, and your hip is healing nicely. Take care.
 
Peaches you are doing really well. Working, cab rides, buses and almost the subway. Your life is so different from mine. I don't know how you manage in a great big city. I need my car and drive time to chill between work and home. I was in New York City a few years ago. We walked all over Manhattan and did what I call the ultimate NYC experience. We had NY cheesecake in Grand Central Station. BTW Grand Central Station is a beautiful place.
 
Hi to everyone, and thank you for checking in. It's been a while since I could post. It might seem tacky to wish a Happy Independence Day to our British BoneSmartonians ... but let me assure you what I am wishing everyone is independence from all that pre-op misery, pain, disability ... and early-days post-op delights such as the stinky toilet riser; dreadful white knee-socks; cement leg syndrome; bloated, swollen pig feet; prunes, warm prune juice, et al.; and [EVERYONE ELSE: Continue the list with YOUR favorite thing to be independent from ... ]

Here's my WEEK ELEVEN IS UNDER MY BELT Report:

**Not too much difference from last week! But I've had a couple of days where I was able to go out and do errands--walking; standing and waiting; walking around in stores; doing stairs; taking the subway--and on one day I was in no pain anywhere (astoundingly) and the other day I had soreness everywhere below the waist except the operated hip, but it was tolerable. Mind you, the pain-free day I was not racing around; was pacing myself, could not have run to avoid a car speeding toward me (not that that would happen, but you know what I mean) ... but overall it felt as close to normal as I've felt in a long time!

**Subway: Finally took it a couple of times; not "Times Square crowded," but packed with inconsiderate locals and tourists, who didn't give me a seat despite my cane. So I stood and leaned against the door for balance. The jerking around motion of the train bothered me the first time, and I thought how glad I was I had not attempted the train in the early weeks, when I had faulty balance and strength. The stairs were doable, with railing but without the cane. Sore muscles, but nothing terrible or unusual. The second time was easier than the first.
I am still taking the bus to/from work indefinitely as I cannot stand the crowds on the train ... but I'm glad to take the train as a Plan B as needed. I'm glad to have that fear behind me.

**Stairs. Well, see above. Easier, though not muscle-sore-free. I have become obsessed with watching how people do stairs. Even on TV. I caught a scene from a movie last week and was obsessed with watching the characters walk up the middle of a large staircase, without a bannister. THAT doesn't seem doable at all to me right now.

**Cane free on the streets. Most of the time I take a fold-up cane in my tote bag , "just in case." Do not feel I am always limp free or list free. Sometimes I think I am, but not always. But the cane suddenly felt like it was holding me back. Does this make sense? I thought I'd feel unfettered without it, able to be looser somehow.

No Tylenol, no Advil ... nada, zippo.

That's it! No other milestones. But make no mistake about it: I have miles to go. Am not remotely "all well." I really really really baby myself and am a total control freak over how much I will do, when and where and what I will "swap out" in terms of activities. I have the luxury to be like this since I live alone. I push myself when I feel ready. I have a list of things (goals?) I want to do ... but I don't put a time table on them because I don't want to artificially push myself to do something I'm not physically ready to do. Does that make sense?

So ... loping toward three months. Can't believe it!
 
Peaches Great report. You did the crowded subway ride! And, no cane. That is my goal when I return to the city. Was amused by your people-on-stairs watching, as I have been doing that as well. I am still going down toddler-style-the thought of trying it without a bannister makes me shudder.
You've been wise in pacing yourself, and are getting terrific results. It totally makes sense not to push. You set goals, achieve them, and set more. Seems sensible to me.
Hope you are holding up in the heat.
 
TeeEm, I haven't taken a bath since that first time. It's still a little daunting. Don't worry. You'll get there.
sandybeach, I'm glad your NYC experience was a good one. Grand Central really is beautiful. I'm sure that I would be just as daunted out of the city, driving, getting in and out of cars, houses with stairs, etc.

LeeApril26: I think SoHo would be very daunting since it's got so much foot traffic! Also, many of those streets are bricks--not smooth. I'm glad you did so well. I think once we continue street walking, it will get a little easier without the cane. But I still look down and look out for potholes and pits. I'm pretty scared about falling or twisting my ankle and going down. I am a real klutz and have fallen many times pre-op, and can't truthfully blame ALL of it on my bum hip. Did you feel a little freed up without your cane? I think I did, and that's what propelled me to start venturing out without it.

Poppet, how are you feeling??? You aren't lazy. You do all kinds of things in your home environment I sure couldn't do. We all have our challenges unique to where we live. I live in an apt. bldg. with an elevator, so I'm very lucky. Plus hallways to practice walking in.

Songlady, I'm sorry you felt a little stalled. I'm eager to hear how you're doing this week. It's interesting to hear how the second time around isn't always peachy. I'm sure I would expect it to be, having gone through it the first time. Did you figure out how to be rid of El Stinko? Mine is cleaned up and bagged in the largest black garbage bag made to man. Have called so many thrift shops, churches, senior orgs., and no one will take it. Some people don't even know what I'm talking about. (Stinky Toilet Riser apparently isn't a technical term.)

Elosarabrab, that is GREAT you are walking fast enough to be out of breath. Oh, I can't imagine what that must feel like, except it is another symbol of NORMAL activity! I am nowhere near that fast. Someday, someday!

Littlejem, how are you???? I have to go to your thread. You are only a couple of weeks out, no? Ahh, lavender. I love it. Just love it.

Hey, everyone who is experiencing this horrible heat wave: I guess we have all discovered yet another benefit of having the Constant Ice Bag at our side. It really cools you down to be sitting on a big ol' ice bag with the fan blowing on you.....Frozen cheeks. :)
 
Peaches While I was reading your post I had a vision of you with the stinky toilet riser hovering over you like the Albatross, in the poem. I think you might just have to put it outside on the bulk trash collection day to free yourself.

I am also a klutz, and have learned the hard way that I can not talk on a cell phone and walk at the same time-that's how I had six weeks of hand PT! And as Maeve posted earlier today, it is really difficult to walk without looking down all the time, but it is not normal. (Though I have walked that way for years.) It seems that controlling the fears in our heads is as important as the physical recovery. I did and do feel much happier without the cane, both physically and mentally. My entire right side from shoulder to knee suffers when I use it. I am just anxious with the crowds on the streets. I am going to try carrying the collapsible cane when I return to the city next Saturday.

From your earlier report you are doing pretty well most days, pain wise. I have the most pain in my right shoulder, from using the cane. I have changed the height several times, but it still hurts. Also hurts my arthritic thumb.

My brother had both hips replaced (six and three years ago) and he walks in a totally normal way, rides bikes, hikes, etc. But, he was more physically adventurous before surgery. I was not hiking and biking before surgery, just walking and swimming and taking subways. Have to decide if those are sufficient goals or whether to try to do more.
 
LeeApril26 ... I know what you mean about looking down, for safety reasons, while walking in the city or anyplace where we might trip or stumble. But how to avoid looking down? We have to be realistic. I have fallen hard several times from just not seeing some indentation in the street or sidewalk. I too landed on my hand and damaged a finger, which now is crooked and will not bend too far. I never went to the doc about it as I was obsessed with my hip surgery. Anyway, I relate to what you're saying.

About the pain: I actually have almost no days when I am up and about at work that WITHOUT pain. I would call it soreness (which I know technically is "pain," but to me it feels different and not as scary as "pain") below the waist in the hip and butt areas, also inner thighs, but not the operated hip. I assumed it was not normal to be mainly pain free at this stage?? I am trying not to worry about it. But it makes the totally pain free days stand out as they are in the minority. I really was not expecting mostly pain free days for quite a long time. After my pain-free day out and about recently, I noticed a few hours later at home I was feeling fairly sore, but thought that was normal. Ice and bed rest helped; it was better the next morning.

I think what I meant about goal setting was I am not going to say "by October 31 I will enter the such-and-such walkathon and will finish it on time" or that kind of thing. I worry with post-op sugery that imposing a date will make me rush toward an end-date when I might not be ready.
 
Peaches Great report. I suffer from the 'looking down as I walk' syndrome. Im trying to get out the habit, but its very difficult. I cannot imagine being able to walk up the middle of a flight of stairs with out holding onto something - and even more so coming down a flight.
Sorry to hear that you havent been able to dispose of el stinco yet.
 
Peaches I think its common with us hippies to look down as we walk because pre op our balance was bad and the slightest thing made us unstable. I find I walk better without the stick as the natural thing to do is swing my arms when I walk, which I cant do with the cane. I have to have a hand rail when I tackle stairs. You have been doing really well with stairs and subways. Getting back to a "normal" life.:yay:
 
Hi and a late but sincere happy Fourth to you, Kylesh! Thanks for your good wishes. YES, we had the day off. And then the weekend. So it's been nice. Hope you had a nice, relaxing one too.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Sometimes peachy, sometimes the pits
Looking down while walking is pretty common for "hippies" and "kneesies". We are not feeling confident and are worried about the possibility of falling. It takes a while to be able to walk without looking down most of the time. I feel safe to walk down the driveway without looking down much, but I still look down a lot when in the yard itself---too many ups an downs and it's kinda cushy underfoot. I doubt that I will every go up and down steps again without being very conscious of every step I take. And if you do have a fall, you will be even more conscious of your surroundings for a long, long time.
 
Peaches Sorry, I was unclear. I meant to say pain free in the area of the operated hip. I think we are stuck with the knee, hand, finger and "good hip" pain unless we decide on more surgery. I have been taking Mobic (24 hour ibuprofen) for several years for my knees. I have added turmeric capsules, in the hope that the anti-inflammatory properties will reduce the need for Mobic. Since I still have thumb pain with the Mobic I am not too optimistic.

It is great that you are mostly not having discomfort in the area of the hip, going up and down stairs, walking without the cane, and other activities seem to be going fine. I am mostly okay, but occasionally do too much (jumping in lake and treading water for an hour?) and have resulting pain in the muscles surrounding my shiny new hip. Then I spend lots of time on ice.

And, bottomshollow Elosarabrab TeeEm When I walk around now I am noticing many people-the kneesies and hippies, I guess, with distressed gaits. Once you've had the hip walk, I think you recognize it. I haven't been aware of people looking down, since that's what I'm doing, too.
 
LeeApril26 I know exactly what you mean - when I came out the dentist last week I saw a woman walk by me with the drunken pirate lurch and thought to myself 'there's a hip replacement waiting to happen'. Im going to look to see how many other people look down when they walk now - hips and knees that have happened . Us bionics should all have a secret code to recognise each other - like masonics have their secret handshakes :rotfl:
 
LeeApril26 I know exactly what you mean - when I came out the dentist last week I saw a woman walk by me with the drunken pirate lurch and thought to myself 'there's a hip replacement waiting to happen'. Im going to look to see how many other people look down when they walk now - hips and knees that have happened . Us bionics should all have a secret code to recognise each other - like masonics have their secret handshakes :rotfl:

Oh, cool. Guess we shouldn't bump hips?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom