Guest viewing is limited

THR Sometimes peachy, sometimes the pits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peaches.... I would suggest under no circumstances do you go to that PT!!! Read what nmscienceteacher wrote, never a truer word written - thank you :)

As I read your post Peaches, it was so obvious with all that walking and standing YOU ARE NOT READY for extra PT... truly! You are working and living, that is enough right now, after all the activity you are currently doing is the reason you had your THR in the first place, to be able to live life without pain. Adding PT right now sounds like a 'freight train disaster' coming right at you.. Just WALK and live honey :)
 
Peaches I am so sorry I pooped out early last night and didn't get to you. I gather round with everyone else to validate your gut feelings, and your total right to vent (which you do indeed do well :) ) I think nmscienceteacher and Poppet summed everything up for you. (((( Peaches )))) I hope today was not too awful, that you did sleep last night, and that things look better with the daylight :)
 
Peaches Where has this idea that it will be "too late" to start PT come from? If you wait it might be harder to get started but it is never too late! Walking seems to be the most often recommended exercise and you are doinf enough of that.
I am just glad to be retired so I can concentrate on being wife, mother and grandmother. There is no way I could be teaching Physics to 11-18 yr olds with my mushy brain at the moment, I have trouble remembering what day it is! I might even get to finish the crochet top I started for myself if I don't have to unravel it again, too many mistakes for me.
Listen to your gut - don't push yourself, slow and steady gets there just the same.
Best wishes Anne
 
Thanks, Nannyannie, LeeApril26, zauberflöte, ByGosh, Poppet, and my apologies to any names I left out.
Thanks very much for your kindness and concern! I got the idea it could be "too late to be any good or so late your gait problem is irreversible" from several physical therapists AND THR patients. Otherwise it would not have occurred to me at all it can be too late to start outpatient PT. Not all all. Lenora, I have not found that humor and low-key protestations do one whit of good. In fact, the more I joke or say things quietly, the more inclined people are to not listen. I think you are very lucky that all of that PT has worked. Like you, I want and must do stairs, subway, and long walking--but I fear I will NOT be able to do that if I get myself involved with an overzealous PT. The place I went to the other day was highly recommended by some people I know and a PT who is not affiliated with it. I think it might not be the place for ME at this time. But I wouldn't say it's a bad place at all. Tonight I went to another place on my list, and it seemed dilapidated, small, and not very professional. I walked right out. On another thread someone said if I have worries about my gait or limp, all I need to do is find a good PT. Well, that's hard to do! But there again is another opinion that limping can be fixed by PT.

My sleep is still spotty, but not nearly as bad as it was. And today I walked 6 blocks after work, getting off the bus early, and I'm not sore. So there is a silver lining to investigating these PT places!

Workwise, things are grim. The layoffs have started, in other departments. Everyone is very close mouthed, so we don't know what to think about our own department. For those of you who are retired and reasonably comfortable with that financially, my hat is off to you.

So I've got other fish to fry than PT right now, I guess!

Thank you again for indulging me in my rant. Please feel free to rant on my thread at any time, about any thing at all! I appreciate all of you!!
 
Peaches So many wise and sensible people helping to look out for you. Aren't you lucky? :)
I hope the lay-offs don't affect you. That's a big stress on your mind now, too. So try to take it easy, and not get too worried about something that may never happen anyway. Get some sleep tonight and have a nice walk tomorrow, and a good day at work.
 
:sorry: Peaches, sorry that you are having to deal with all these issues, but like ByGosh said, you do have a lot of people looking out for you.
 
Peaches There's really nothing you can do except wait, is there. Yuk. So, PT can wait. But I wish I could give you the place I went to before Christmas-- plenty of quiet rooms, plenty of energy too, some very damaged people there when I was in. The vibe was "friendly and professional". We swapped stories, recipes, jokes, and good PT was had by all from caring pros. Just what you need, wish it wasn't 7 hours away.
What do you do to de-stress? Can we help? Bring you a cyber vacation this weekend? :) :friends:
 
Peaches I was very lucky. Until now all of my PT has been supervised by one rehab doctor. He's great, and so are the people who work with him. Unfortunately, he is in Manhattan and I can't get there, so I have been trying places closer to home.
Between the stress at work and the anxiety about PT, you may be putting too much on yourself. How many more places do you have on your list?
Working during layoffs is miserable, even if it doesn't hit you. I'm so sorry you are going through that. Glad the walking is going well. I did not do ANY exercises today, but I did take another bus trip. Luckily got a seat again.
Take good care of yourself.
 
Hi Peaches - I gave you my 2 cents earlier, so I won't repeat that. BUT, having once lived in NYC, I only think that living there and walking a HUGE amount and in navigating steps, unevenness, and so on.... I would think you re doing way more than most people living elsewhere would do in PT, and realistically, I think this close out from surgery, there's still danger of overtaxing yourself and getting hurt by trying to do more.
I can't remember ("mush brain syndrome") - are you still using a cane? I am finding that when I concentrate, the cane helps me to walk without a limp. Without the cane, I limp; outdoors, anyway. I trust that with time this will even out. What's the nature of your limping, if possible to describe?
 
Thank you, everyone, for your support and caring concern. It means a lot. I'll get through all of this. Yes, Songlady, I use a cane outside, just for stability. I don't use one inside anymore. I don't think my limp is anything horrible, but I would assume most of us do have some kind of listing or limp at this stage? It's on the operated side and is hard to describe. I have heard so many contradictory opinions on the forum about the cane: that it causes a limp, doesn't cause a limp, is good, is bad. The pre-op limp was really awful. This one seems subtle--in fact, I am usually not aware of it. I hope you have a good day. Thanks for all of your two cents about everything. Everyone has been very helpful.
 
Songlady I have had PT for a rotator cuff tear, knees, ankles, hand, knees again, and then pre-surgery for hips for four months, and then home and now outpatient PT. I am a deteriorating klutz. I was originally told to have knee replacement surgery in '95, and have prevented it so far with PT and then following the exercises religiously. I am relatively compliant, but can politely or humorously refuse if I feel at risk. I get Peaches anxiety that you can not know you are at risk until you damage yourself. It's true. There are risks both ways. I hate being limited though, in walking, stairs and now escalators!!!
Hi Peaches,
I couldn't express it better than LeeApril26,
My Physio and my exercising has been the saviour for me both pre and post hip surgery. BUT I dont have to battle with getting to and from work every day plus the actual working day.
Also. I have been lucky enough to be able to go to a physio recommended by the rehab physio who I really trusted. I guess I am a bit like LeeApril26 I am pretty assertive when it comes to my recovery and how I will drive the project.
At the gym where I have been a member before the operation, I was able to suss out the exercise physiologist and I have confidence in working with him now.
You have such a lot to handle with full time work but if you do decide to do some PT it should be on your terms and as@nmscienceteacher says...if you feel uncomfortable don't go there!
I really feel for your struggle and wish I could help you more ...good luck!
 
The pre-op limp was really awful. This one seems subtle--in fact, I am usually not aware of it.
Oh Peaches you know I am no expert, but this sounds to me like your body simply learning to walk right? Remember, what we read here on the forum is mostly "what worked for me" stories. PT may have been great for one person's limp, and there may be others out there who never even posted on the topic. I'd guess that your body is still adjusting itself to the new and improved hardware, and will take its sweet time giving you a state of limp-free-ness. IM not so HO, your deathbed would be the time it was too late to improve a limp.....
Thinking of you at your "heads down in the foxhole" office today.....
 
Hi Peaches - how was your week? Yay, Friday! I am interested to know how you are and what your thinking is at this point. Your thread has turned into a mini-forum on the pros and cons of PT/physio! I have anew idea (having just come from playing fr a wedding rehearsal) why don't you take organ lessons? I'm sure they would be great PT, and you could earn some $$ playing on the side....:rotfl: Sorry, I couldn't resist. But I was reaching sideways for those pedals and thought.... hey, yeah, it's getting a bit easier!!:egypdance:
I guess it's going to be a warm weekend... do you have air conditioning? The year we lived at 90th and 2nd, we did not, and the walls themselves felt hot in the summer. Still, it was a great experience to live there. And.. allll the walking, goodness!
 
Hi Peaches. I was thinking of you as I climbed over people in Times Square this evening. Utter absolute chaos. Hope your day was less stressful. We are lucky in the weather, and it seems like it will continue to be lovely over the weekend, which is great.
 
Poppet. It was more like a combo of a balance beam and a day fighting bears in Ancient Rome. Guess it counts as PT.
 
Hi, everyone:
I just finished week 9 and here's what's what ... in case it helps anyone pre-op or otherwise........

Began to cut down on extra-strengh Tylenol, from 4 or 6 a day to 2, in the a.m. only. That worked until yesterday (Friday) and will probably take 4 or 6 today, due to increased soreness from increased activity.

Would appreciate hearing from others about their OTC usage. Many times people refer to their pain meds, but I'm never certain if they are including OTC when they talk about them. Have gone online to find answers as to how long is too long (for your liver, kidneys, or whatever is affected) to be taking 4-6 a day. Have not found specifics other than comments about "long-time usage."

Increased activity somewhat by (a) walking a few blocks more during the day, either at lunchtime and/or after work. The first day I did this I was very sore. Then the next couple of days, not so sore at all.

My lunchtime walks took me to old haunts that I'd had to stop going to prior to surgery, so it was wonderful to once again go to a park, bookstore, or even a coffeeshop that had become "off limits" when I was curtailing my walking so much. It does much for my spirits to do anything that I had had to stop doing, even if it's just getting an iced coffee from some deli I used to like.

Did not do any of the same-old, same-old PT exercises at home this week. Only because I was doing a little extra walking. Always feel I should be "swapping out" one activity for another. Not sure that's the right approach, but I am super cautious.

Still am not convinced that merely asserting myself to a PT at an outpatient PT place will end up with no pain. (By pain, I don't mean "good pain." I mean debilitating pain that sets me back.) If I told a PT I don't want soft-tissue pain, I would think any PT would agree that no one wants soft-tissue pain. I have already been very clear to the PTs I talked to earlier this week at an outpatient place that I cannot afford setbacks at all, cannot afford to jeopardize work, have to take sick days, etc. I was very clear. Am not convinced this will end up with me not being hurt in some way. Will ponder this some more.

I have tried more stairs during the day--but NOT the "straight up" kind; just easy, graduated ones, with a rail--but more of them.

The increased activity was a lot of moving of file folders and related office stuff on Friday. I asked for help with some of it and got the help. But did the rest myself. I immediately felt where this caused soreness and pain: lower back; butt check on the op side; the joint in front (both legs) where thigh meets (would this be considered groin pain? not sure). The good news is that I do see a direct connection between this pain and carrying too much stuff. So that means "Stop carrying stuff so much!" And I need to ice much more often. I keep forgetting that.

Still using a cane outside when walking; not using it inside at all. Am told I have a slight limp. I rarely am aware of it. When I did all that carrying of stuff around on Friday, I really felt a limp, on the op side.

That's it! I hope this is helpful to someone, somewhere.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend ... resting, some kind of activity you like, as tolerated ... and ice ice ice!

Thanks again to everyone for your support. I appreciate it very much.
 
Peaches you sound great...and you are really listening to your body and honoring the reactions to increased activity...way to go. It is good to hear that you can get to some old faithful haunts...it is a nice feeling of freedom I would think. I also think your studied trade off of walking for I exercises is spot on. Keep it up...I will have to remember to retread your thread when I go back to work to remind me to stop and listen to my body and think about what I am doing. Hope you have a fabulous weekend.
 
Hi, nmscienceteacher ... I was going to write you on your thread or whevever it was you talked about the specter of Returning to Work as I could really empathize with it. But if you don't mind, I'll answer you here. It was YOU who inspired me to do some de-cluttering yesterday. I thought, if teachers and others who have more physical jobs can face doing heavy lifting, then I should be able to weed out file folders and the like. There comes a point where cleaning out clutter makes your life easier and makes a good impression, etc., etc. I am by no means prissy pristine and obsessed, just trying to do what I can to make things looks and function better. We also have a lot of things going on at our office, layoffs, departments reorganizing, etc., so the writing is on the wall about some things.
So I would strongly suggest that you think about ways you can get help for all of the physical stuff you have to do when you return to work. And pace yourself. You sound strong already, mentally and otherwise, and your household tasks sound like good practice. Just don't forget the ice ice ice ... and swapping out. Let us know how things are going. I had huge trepidation about returning to work, but was so exhausted by worrying, by the night before it began, I think I had just surrendered to it and did not wake up with the huge knot of dread I'd assumed I'd have. Also, try to think now about "the perfect shoes" that will feel the best for you while at work. That will make a big difference, too.
 
Peaches except for a week before surgery, I have been taking Mobic for two years. It is a slow release prescription version of ibuprofen. If I have overdone things I take Tylenol, but not every day.

Glad you are revisiting old haunts. It sounds like you are doing well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom