Guest viewing is limited

THR Sometimes peachy, sometimes the pits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peaches, thanks for tagging me, have to dash off to work 5:30 am here, Monday morning.. But I will come back and answer your tag to me tonight.. Hugs xx
 
Sorry, LeeApril26 ... I wasn't clear...What I meant in my "progress (however small) report" is that I am NOT pain free at this point. Not 100 per cent pain free. I have more days with some type of "pain" than totally pain free days. But I wasn't referring to pain in my hand, fingers, or other places; wasn't referring to pain in my other hip. Wasn't talking about pain that seems like it will lead to future surgeries. I don't have pain that resembles the pre-op pain I had that turned out to be bone spurs and arthritis around the hip parts.

The pain that I have at almost 3 months out is erratic lower back pain (which SEEMS to be related to whenever I have leaned over too much or lugged something too heavy). IT's not nearly as frequent and doesn't last as long as it did in my first few weeks out of surgery when I was concerned about it. But it sometimes is there. But I have more and more periods where I can walk and stand and NOT have that lower back pain. It's not the constant shadow it was a few weeks ago. Don't know why, but am grateful.

Other pain I have now is also erratic and it feels like soreness; not sharp pains; not arthritic pains. It feels like thigh (outer and in front), along the creases) soreness; perhaps due to muscles not being used. Like after going up subway stairs.

Sometimes this erratic pain makes me feel like putting on the heating pad; or an ice pack. Since I rarely take anything--maybe 4 Advil during the entire week--I'm wondering if that is a factor. That this is what life is like without really taking anything at all.

I was under the impression that at nearly 3 months out it is too early to expect a totally pain-free life (pain from the surgery and referred pain from the surgery). I hope I'm not wrong.

But the operated hip: no pain there.

When I have the luxury of taking time off on the weekend to lie down, take it easy physically, rest the body, I notice a decrease in the pain.

It is all a big mystery to me!

Everyone, have a wonderful week!
 
Peaches. Thank you. It is helpful to hear, as I keep assuming those sorts of aches and twinges are going away and then they pop up, off and on, but like you I don't think of them as pain. Pain is now measured by bone on bone agony. I think the Mobic helps to some degree. I have not tried a heating pad but was just reading that changing shower temps from hot to cold several times during a shower relieves a stiff neck and was wondering if it relieves sore lower backs? Prevention magazine has a hints email newsletter and I drive myself nuts reading their pain relief and arthritis hints.

I'm glad your pain does not resemble the pre op pain. I know I have arthritis in my thumbs and knees, and suspect it in the other hip. I am just hoping to delay any more replacements for as long as possible, though I won't let myself be in agony again.

Apologies for misunderstanding your description so persistently. I don't think you are wrong at all about the post op aches being normal. From reading the threads it seems others have discomfort even later. You are doing a lot, and any lifting and carrying probably strains your back and any muscles that have been dormant. When I lift the wet clothes to my stacked above dryer, I feel tugging and pulling in my lower back, but not as much as two weeks ago. Seems like the normal office stuff and carrying things home from stores would be more of a strain.

Hope you have a good week, and that the heat breaks soon. I'm glad you can take a bus. Climbing down into the subway is hellish in this weather.
 
Peaches LeeApril26 Im very aware of every single ache and pain in my body at the moment. Im wondering if because the pain in our bad hips so monopolised our lives, we have forgotten that everyone gets twinges regardless of if they have had a hip replaced or not - you carry bags of heavy shopping - you get neck or shoulder ache, you bend a lot - you get back ache, you stand for a long time -your feet ache. Im sure a lot of my aches and pains are just normal life and are nothing to do with my hip at all.
 
Very true TeeEm. I had aches and pains before my hip went out, so it is logical to assume I'll have them now. It's hard not to worry about overdoing things and impacting the operated side, though. I want to push myself some, and tend to ignore the aches, but don't want to cause an injury.
 
LeeApril26, you don't owe me any apologies. I can't expect anyone to understand what I mean about how I think of pain. Thanks very much for your support. I hope you are getting some relief from this heat, out in the country, though I'm not so sure that's true. But at least you have a nice water selection to cool off in! This is the longest heat wave we have had in a while, I think. I am really tiring of it.

For whoever else might be reading this, I'm not going to be able to post for a while. Work life. I also have been in nonstop pain all over since I left my first (and last!) outpatient PT session last night. It was as I'd feared: TOO MUCH activity. And I calmly and nicely explained myself quite clearly to the PT, who assured me again and again she would not overdo it. She asked questions, listened, wrote things down ... then, I'll be damned if she didn't OVERDO IT. I was on and off the table, doing lots of exercises--to show her what I was capable of doing. It was TOO MUCH activity. Especially after having been at work all day. I left home at 7 a.m. and got home at 9, from that blasted PT session. And the thing is, all the while I was doing the PT exercises, it didn't "feel" all that bad. It's not like you are at a gym and working out to some "no pain, no gain" horrible gym drill master. It's just PT stuff. But that stuff is insidious: a lot goes a long way. And we are not people who have had a pulled muscle or some athleti injury. We are surgical patients. This PT place was highly recommended by my at-home PT, and by another THR patient who is also a gym owner; and is on my hospitals list of recommended places.

So here I am ... set back. I felt like it was week 3, not month 3. And I had done so well doing stairs, the subway three times, not having knee pain. Yet I have had nonstop horrible knee pain in both kneess, the worst lower back pain, horrible neck and shoulder pain (which I never have), and pain even in my operated hip side--and I haven't had pain in my op hip in a long time. Today was preoccupied all day at work with this blasted pain. Using ice and a heating pad all day. Taking Advil and Tylenol all day.

I am very very angry and upset at this big setback, all because of PT. I never should have tried it.
Fingers are crossed this pain will go away with MY way of doing things: rest; ice; and NOT OVERDOING THINGS.
So I have to say "so long" for a while. I'm sorry, but that's the way it is for me right now. I will be thinking of everyone and wishing all the best to you.....
P.S. The irony is that the PT woman told me I was doing pretty darn well! My walking was good, with only a slight listing at the end of my demo; my stair walking was fine; my balance not perfect but not bad. Range of motion good. Sigh.
 
Peaches I am so sorry you are in pain. The evaluation is always tough. I felt like a human pretzel. I hope ice, meds and some rest do the job quickly. You were already doing so much and so well. This stinks. And the work stress doesn't help.
Check in when you can. We'll be thinking of you.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Sometimes peachy, sometimes the pits
Peaches, work is a form of PT. You do not need PT on top of working and living your normal life. So just cut out the extra PT and get some rest after work. Just live your life and you'll find in the next couple of months that you're not thinking about your hip much at all.


A lot of PT is NOT necessary. I had two PT sessions in the hospital and 12 in home sessions and never bothered to do the exercises on my own. I just took care of my semi-invalid hubby, the two cats, the house and all that goes with it, and a lot of the yard. I can honestly say that I was never in pain like you are after that PT session. I got plenty of exercise and my hip would be "forgotten" if not for the forum.

Take care, sweetie, and keep us posted. We really really do care.
 
Oh no Peaches that is terrible ! I agree with what the others have said - working all day is PT, you dont need anymore, and being out all day from 7am until 9pm is too long and tiring. You must be so upset. I hope your pain settles down quickly. Just rest now whenever you get the chance.
 
Peaches I am so sorry that you in more pain following the PT session.I know what my OS would have said about it ie. don't do them again and stop them if they hurt.It may be time just to live your life and just do the walking you need to do to get you to work at the moment.I would think just doing your job is enough and there is no way that you should be doing PT after your working day.I hope the aches and pains soon disappear and until then allow the ice and the meds help you as well as the Elmore Oil of course.
 
Peaches I have caught up here after a long time of thinking of you, and I am so so sorry about the blasted PT, and work stuff. I hope that the pain will resolve itself soon-- that you are doing things YOUR way, which is a very good way, I believe. And I hope the job stuff remains/becomes calm and non-stressful, if that is possible. Take care, I'm thinking of you often :):console2:
 
Peaches, that is exactly what happened to me. I kept going to PT my leg would swell up, knot up and I could barebarely
put any weight on it. The squats had my knees so sore and hurting so bad that I had to take a pain pill. I haven't had to do that since the first month post op. I stayed so swollen and sore I could not do any walking. I have improved so much since I took the advice of other's on BoneSmart! My limp has improved so much. I am beginning to walk w/o my cane now too.
Just went to my 3 month check up. Doctor said I am suffering from Trocanter Bursitis which I had before my THR. I have been using Voltaren Cream and it has helped. The Dr. showed me a stretch to begin doing. PT has not shown me any and I know I need them. I feel so much better since, I have stopped all that PT.
Thanks to all that replied and gave me suggestions:)
Rah Rah
 
Aww Peaches That rotten PT! I'm sorry you were hurting and hope it's better by now. Please take good care of yourself, don't push too much, just rest, and only do what you have to do. I'm thinking of you and sending you my best. :console2:
 
Ooohhh, Peaches, I am sooo sorry!! I hope that you recover from the PT pain quickly. But, you thought you were shortchanging yourself somehow by not trying it, so (if I have read you correctly) you would have always been wondering about that "road not taken" if you hadn't gone at least once. I sincerely hope that your setback will not be for too long and then you can get on with what you know to be best for you. You have very good instincts about what works!
My OS yesterday, at my 12 week appointment, talked about how real healing takes a year. I know this, from reading Jo's info here, but I do forget it sometimes, when I'm doing ok!
To follow up on earlier discussion with you and LeeApril26, I have to say that, yes, I get twinges and aches, especially in my lower back, when I am on my feet a long time, and I always wonder if this is part of the "readjustment" pain or whether it's just back pain and I need to get used to it. My guess is that we won't know for a year.
Why is it so much harder to be upbeat and patient in this heat???
Hang in there, friend! :friends:
 
Songlady I have back ache too, not (so far) from standing long, but from leaning over too much, and once from walking too much, go figure LOL. It is my signal that I need to get back to doing my core exercises more diligently.

Peaches hoping you are surviving this heat-- others seem to be saying it may break soon for you? I hope so, and am thinking of you! :)
 
Hi Peaches I hope you're doing well and managing you commuting and working fine. I miss hearing from you. Take care.:friends:
 
Hello to my BoneSmartopian buddies, and my sincere apologies for that ghastly, horrible way I exited. You deserved so much better. Please forgive me, if you can. I had severe pain for two solid weeks after that PT session. I was not fit company around here, though I know PT can be helpful for some people. I didn't want to rain on anyone's parade. I've also hesitated to report how I'm doing because I didn't want to discourage anyone. I know everyone loves to read the success stories, but I can't post any. And I've felt guilty because I know there are others who are much worse off than I am. So I haven't felt that I fit in anywhere. But I also think it's just possible that having all stories, even the murkey in-betweens, of a THR experience might just might help someone down the road. So here I am, once again.

My problem, at 4.5 months after surgery, is that I cannot figure out even remotely what causes what pain. And what to do or not do about it. I haven't seen a simple "I overdid it, so that's why A, B, or C or all 3 hurt."
I can do more things than I could do a few months before surgery, and I see some recovery from the surgery. But my life has not changed a whit since this time a year ago. It really hasn't. I still have erratic pain daily, cannot figure out why, and thus can't be reliable as a friend, helper, or whatever. If I rest on the weekend, that's too much--and I'm very stiff and very sore. If I do anything exercise wise, that's too much, too. I went walking in the park, thinking the gravel and dirt would feel better than concrete. Wrong. My knee started hurting so much, I was limping badly and had to stop. That's no different from this time last year. Except, the operated hip is mostly pretty good. The lower back pain has come back daily, screaming loudly on weekends. I walk through the pain anyway, because I have to do SOMETHING. I can't just lie around all day. I also have noticed that sitting for any length of time, even as little as 10 minutes, and I am stiff as concrete on both sides. Also, a new thing: the unoperated hip is now throbbing daily. I guess it's now gone bad? I don't know.

I know we're supposed to "think only of the positive and all the things we CAN do," but I never end up doing things the way we're supposed to. I don't mean to rebel; I just don't see things the same way, I guess. ANyway, I find it more helpful to me to think about the things I can't do, so that I don't become complacent. So I will remember I need to work on things and not just rest on my limited laurels.

But ... I will say that I can get to work and work all day and function. Until this week I was sailing around the carpeted hallways very nicely, and felt good on my lunch break. By day's end, I walk a few blocks to the bus, ride for half an hour, and get off early to walk anywhere from half a mile to one mile. The one mile kills me. I am physically too spent to do that. I come home and at best, can sit in a chair without pain. Or, like tonight, am in pain no matter if I sit, lie down, or walk around.

I just don't see much progress at all. And I don't have time with work to run around to various specialists trying to get assessments and try different things to see what might help. I also have to save my sick days as I have very few to last me till next summer.

Yet ... I know doing nothing to help with all the various erratic pains is not the answer either. I know that. And I hate being passive. But I have little faith that trying X, Y, and Z therapies will necesarrily help. And as I've learned the hard way, some things can set you back, way back.

More that I can do: I've been taking the subway daily in the mornings for about a month, I think. I consider doing the stairs, regular style, a form of PT. Occasionally I also take a long staircase once a day, either at work or at lunch. Just to do it. This week, with my non-op hip suddenly flaring up, stairs hurt where they didn't last week.

I'm not sorry I had the surgery. The hip was fixed. But the lifestyle filled with erratic pain here yonder and there is the same as it was been long before surgery. I never know when I can participate in anything. I hate being like this. I am trying to perhaps just work on acceptance of "a new normal" and recognize that that might not mean bungee jumping, line dancing, etc., etc., etc. But just having at least one hip that works. But it's hard. I was so hoping to have a life that would enable me to start being more physical, and be able to do a little more wthout pain jumping out from the corners and spooking me.

I was NOT expecting miracles and the life of a 40 or even 50 year old. But I was expecting a more or less straighter trajectory. I thought doing more activities, even slowly, would mean over time I am less sore and stiff and in pain. That has not been the case. Yet ... I feel as if I am able, strangely, to walk quite sturdily and swift enough and strongly. Till day's end, or till yet another pain elsewhere rears its ugly head.

Recovering from this surgery is NOT, in my experience, the same thing as getting in shape or training for something. It just isn't. Working "harder" or "willing yourself" to "work through the pain" or thinking positive thoughts or whatever does NOT necessarily yield the right results. So I don't respond well to the rah-rah PT vibe that I get when I've talked to PTs.

Having said that, I did have a positive experience with the hospital PT and the one who did at-home visits.

I so wish that OSs would have a PT on their staff, whom they would supervise, along with their PA, secretary, and various cast of characters, and the patient could work out with that specific PT. And I also wish the OS would get X-rays of the knees and back routinely, so we could cut out all the guessing and speculation as to why everything hurts. To just go to some random PT and hope for the best just seems very dicey to me.

So this is where I am these days. It ain't pretty. So now you know why I'm reluctant to post much.

I am eager to read up on what all of you are doing, and how you are doing. My fingers are crossed you are doing much better than I am. I so wish I will be able to somehow say the right thing to help you when you need it. But as you can see, I don't have any answers about this recovery. It just boggles my mind that somethng that is supposed so damned successful can be so enigmatic.

I don't know what this was ... not really a "progress report." Just a "state of the hip" report.

I appreciate more than I'll ever be able to say how much your support meant to me while I was here regularly. I hope you understand why I haven't felt up to snuff about posting. I truly wanted to sometimes, but ...

Take care.
Your partner in crime,
Peaches
 
Peaches Nice to see you back, but sorry you are still having problems. Welcome to the knee pain club - me, LeeApril26 and Kim22 are all suffering from rubbish knees at the moment, or tendonitis or bursitis or pain in the 'good' hip - so you are not the only one who isn't doing as well as they hoped.
Just a thought - as I know your employers haven't been particularly supportive - is the chair you use at work 'right' for you ? Maybe the way you are sitting is contributing to your back and other pain . Could be you need something that is more egonomic.
 
Peaches I AM glad to see you! I've been thinking about you a great deal, and hope against hope that I'd see you again. No need to ask for forgiveness-- nothing to forgive :)

Much of what you've said in your post resonated strongly with me. I was hoping that the decrease of my hip pain would give me more energy and less depression, but that's not yet the case. So, total life turnaround, not happening. (Yet?). I'm also having the same problem of "which combination of activities cause which of my new pains, and what should I stop doing and for how long?"

Subway steps for a month now???????????????? That would mean you started doing that when you were exactly where I am now. There is NO way I could climb that many stairs with no increase of pain. I can't do 5 steps "big girl style" more than once a day without more pain. I really think you are doing far more strenuous activity than you credit yourself with, and your recovery is just adjusting to that. AND then you walk up to a mile? At the end of the workday? You are SuperWoman, really!

It sounds like the op hip is pretty fine, it's the rest of the structure that's messing up. Are you taking less/fewer pain meds than you were pre-op? I find that my other hip hurts way more than before, also my various hand/finger joints-- all because I'm taking less NSAIDs. I think you should tag Alexthecat, who is our resident movement specialist. She might have some ideas for you. And I agree with TeeEm about the possibility of your work chair needing attention.

"Yet ... I feel as if I am able, strangely, to walk quite sturdily and swift enough and strongly." Yes! This, I think, is cause for celebration in itself. I know that feeling, and my own ability to "turn on a dime" now is exhilarating. Ok, turn on a dollar bill....I wouldn't want to dance yet, tho.

You know, you are only four months, which, as we hear on here all the time, is very early days yet. I know that you slog though each day, but time passes, and I'm counting on your aches and pains, sharp and otherwise, to abate as your hip becomes more integrated into your body language (for lack of a better term...)

Do visit often! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom