THR Some allowed to drive after 4 weeks, some after 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hibernate when we have snow which thankfully isn't very often here. We had some earlier in the year but hopefully we have seen the last for this year ;)
 
Hi John, hope you're still doing well and didn't get lost in all that snow you were describing.
 
Yes, I'm still here, waiting for spring. The last snowstorm was very wet and heavy because of the mild weather and snowblowing the driveway was quite an ordeal after the snowplow had gone by. I still feel stiffness getting up, but haven't used my cane for weeks. Nothing to report, really, which is why I've been quiet.
 
oldyellr Hello John
Like millie4162 we don't get really heavy snow very often but your driveway clearing reminded of when we had been cut off for nearly a week a few years ago. Two of our neighbours had just dug (no snowblowers here) from their garages to the road - a country lane, no pavement/sidewalk -and were leaning on their shovels chatting. The snowplough then came along the road and pushed it all back into the nice empty spaces! I'm afraid I laughed so much at their faces that I forgot to use the camera that I was holding and had to rush indoors as the snowballs flew!
I've also given up all walking aids but mornings are still a struggle until I convince everything that the terrible bone-on-bone pain has really gone! Still get very tired easily, need follow-up blood tests next week for anaemia and my thyroid levels. Surgery messes up all sorts of other functions in the body.
Ah well, onward and upward and grateful for the medical advances in our lifetimes - bionic Nanny rules!
Best wishes Anne
 
Absolutely.. We like to think it is... Take care John.. The stiffness will ease eventually ! I still find I am stiff, if I sit for too long even at 15 + months :)
 
In general I've been feeling good. I've hardly been noticing my hip. Instead, it's my back that's sore most of the time, which is where all this started. Because there's still snow on the ground, I haven't been getting much outdoor exercise. It's been years since I've skied or snowmobiled and decades since I've ice-raced a motorcycle. Cycling is the only serious physical activity I engage in these days, and the weather is not yet conducive.

For the past week everyone in the house has been suffering from bad colds. I don't really have a fever, but today I've noticed I have a slight aching in my operated hip, which I haven't had before. Could the infection of a cold do this? Josephine ?
 
No but the inactivity could. You probably need to do some stretches and walking around, even if it's only in the house. Stairs are good too if you have them but take it steadily. If it gets too bad, take a couple of Tylenol.
 
I think you're right, Jo. My only activity has been waking around the house, to the car and to the stores from the parking lot when shopping. I did take a couple of Tylenol and no more pain. It's just odd that the pain started when I was down with a bad cold.

The other day I did jack up the car and crawl around under it to see what parts I needed to order to fix a problem and ended up with a sore back. I'm afraid I haven't been much of a walker since my back trouble and then the hip.
 
I bought a pedometer a few months after my THR. I found that it took a minimum of about 2000 steps per day to keep my hip loose and happy. I wouldn't recommend counting steps early in recovery, but you're almost six months along and have been recovering well.
 
You're right, Alex, my recovery has been uneventful. My OS called me a poster child for hip replacement. However, it's so easy to slip into inactivity post-op and I'll be making an effort to get out on my bike as soon as the weather is nice.
 
Nice to hear from you John :)

I am 16+ post and I have found that if I sit too long at work and then sit at home for too long, I find that my muscles start to feel like they are shortening, but as soon as I start doing some regular walking, especially my Nordic Walking.. I feel so much better..

I remember my OS saying to me, keep moving, that is what your body and hip wants.. The old saying comes to mind 'I plan to wear out, rather than rust out'

:)
 
Today I went for my 6-month x-ray and OS visit today and everything was good. He encouraged me to get out on the bike soon, which I hadn't yet done because of the weather (freezing rain today).

I've had a bad cold for 3 weeks and the last 5 days a really bad cough. Whenever I coughed, my hip ached. I finally broke down and saw my MD yesterday for fear the bug could spread to my hip and he prescribed me a antibiotic (Azithromycin). So I'm taking that, plus some awful cough syrup and washing it down with a hot lemon decongestant drink, just buzzing, high as a kite.
 
Oh, John, sorry you are feeling so cruddy... Probably a good thing you didn't wait any longer with the cold. They say 7-10 days and you should start feeling better. Hopefully that freezing rain will just STOP IT!

Glad to hear your appointment went well. Hopefully the stars and moon will line up for you and you'll be able to get out on that bike soon! Feel better!!!!!
 
John, hope you're feeling better soon. And I hope your weather improves, too, so you can get out on your bike. It works wonders!
 
Get well soon John, the antibiotics will do the trick... Hope your weather improves and you can back on your bike :)
 
The weather here finally turned summery and I was running out of excuses not to get out on the bike. I got a sore back yesterday doing yard work (digging dandelions), but today was perfect. Sunny, no wind and the temperature a comfortable 17°C (63°F) before noon, so I got out my gear, pumped up the tires and went. Nothing fancy, just touring around my subdivision for 20 minutes because I'm quite out of shape, but it was fun. I'm happy to report there were no complaints from the hip, didn't feel a thing! Now I just need to get out more often and start logging more serious miles.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom