THR Some allowed to drive after 4 weeks, some after 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] Some allowed to drive after 4 weeks, some after 8
Happy to hear the weather is improving in your part of the world and you're able to get the bike out and ride. I suspect a lot of us are out of shape---we tend to get that way in the winter and before surgery---so we all need to try to get back into shape.


Take care and don't be a stranger---keep us updated. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Some allowed to drive after 4 weeks, some after 8
 
I'm glad you're starting to get out there, John. Twenty minutes is a great start and I bet it's a ride you'll never forget.

I didn't own a bike when I had my THR. About four months post-op, I picked one up at a yard sale. I pedalled 3 miles (or 5 km) home. In a granny gear. It was the toughest ride of my life. It may have been the toughest ride of anyone's life ever. It sure did mean a lot to me though and it did get easier!
 
I'm glad you're starting to get out there, John. Twenty minutes is a great start and I bet it's a ride you'll never forget.

I didn't own a bike when I had my THR. About four months post-op, I picked one up at a yard sale. I pedalled 3 miles (or 5 km) home. In a granny gear. It was the toughest ride of my life. It may have been the toughest ride of anyone's life ever. It sure did mean a lot to me though and it did get easier!

This is similar to me. I started off with 0.5km though! Eventually got to 5km then stopped when I was walking out and about at work, etc.
 
Well, I've been a cyclist on and off most of my life and cycling is the only athletic sport I do. Thirty years ago I was into club riding and time trials and even did a double century. Looking back at my bike log, it's been almost three years since I rode and I'd been slowing down due to the arthritic hip. So, getting out for 20 minutes is not a big deal, but it's a start and I'm glad it's only my legs (and procrastination) that's holding me back, not the hip. Even now I'm feeling guilty watching the Giro on TV instead of getting out myself. :sorry:
 
Hi John - Congratulations on getting out for a ride! Your stamina will come back, it will just be slower than you want for awhile.
 
Now riding a bike is something I have never done. Wasn't allowed as a child due to CHD ... Wasn't allowed to do much really as I was either in plaster or in major metal contraptions until I was 5.
Would love to learn but I think it might be a bit late now. Think the confidence thing would get me!
 
Yeah, I guess riding a bike is something one picks up early in life. Its main advantage as a form of exercise, especially for hippies, is that it's low impact. But walking is always good. :wink:
 
John, so glad you're feeling better. Get out there on the bike by all means! Just don't overdo it. At 6 months we feel like it's all over but now and then I am reminded that there is still some way to go. Enjoy the spring.:bicycle1:
 
John, thanks to you I bought a stationary bike early on and credit it with helping me recover so well and so quickly! Good luck on the road and do take care. Vicki
 
Vida, I never had any use for those exercise bikes, maybe because the early ones were pretty crude, with just a rubber roller pressing on the wheel. However, the ones now, even for $100, are a lot smoother and have digital displays giving you useful data to gauge your progress. I found mine a refreshing change between my regular exercises that not only worked my hip, but cardio as well. It's far too easy to become sedentary after a hip replacement. Not good.
 
Agree. Years ago my old one quickly became a coat hanger. This one was $128, delivered to my door, easy to construct, big comfy saddle, which is perfect for post-THR, 10 settings allowing you to gradually reach your goal and loads of digital info. I am completely addicted. 45 mins a day on the bike plus a 40-minute walk has been the very best therapy.
 
About driving I am down as being in the USA but I live in Liverpool (UK) I was walking without crutches and off meds by week 4, the hospital would not let me drive my car till week 12, saying its the insurance if I had an bump the insurance would not pay out, I kept reading the posts in the USA I was driving after 2 weeks, I was so frustrated. How can you be aloud to drive so quickly don't you have insurance in the states
 
Here in oz driving is banned for 6 weeks. As you say jimmy52, if you have an accident insurance won't cover you.
Must be hard if you don't have anyone to chauffeur you. Luckily my husband can double as chauffeur....as well as carer and general dogsbody! I'm very lucky!
 
jimmy52 , like Maeve said, Oz is the only country I've heard that the insurance places restrictions on how soon you can drive, and I suppose it may be based on how long people take pain meds. In North America most people drive automatic transmissions, so I can see getting back to driving earlier, while not so much in Europe. It was my surgeon's protocol to hold me back for 8 weeks. Why would a hospital put on a 12 week restriction, unless nobody wants to take responsibility?
 
its all in the past, got my 2 cars vw camper van back driving, just got a referal to the gym off the doctor, do you guys know that a referal off your doctor only costs just £1.00 a visit and you get 24 visits, done one visit yesterday fantastic, legs feel much better for it.
 
I was told I could drive after 4 weeks even though I was still non weight bearing. I wasn't ready to do it till 6 weeks though. :kittykiss:
 
Well, it had been over a month since I first took the bike out, but since then the weather didn't cooperate. I can't believe that I had to turn my furnace off at the beginning of SUMMER to keep it from kicking on. Anyway, this afternoon wasn't overly hot or windy, so I took went out on my short loop (about 11 km). It's a bit hilly, so I used the bottom gear a lot (42x28), but I'm proud that I didn't need to turn back before the half-way point. The hip's fine; I don't even notice it. It's the "motor" that needs some work. Hopefully I'll get out more often and work up to my 40 km loop.
 
Yes. No problems with the hip at all. It's as if it never happened. However, when I get up in the morning or during the night or when I've been sitting for a while, the muscles still remember. Also, I still have the same problems with my back I had before.
 
John, great to hear from you :)

And, how fantastic that you have finally had that ride.. No stopping you now.. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom