Guest viewing is limited

Sofa during recovery?

@zauberflöte ..glad that your recovery continues to run smoothly and that your amazing sense of humor is still in tact:)

Here is the latest update and what I also wrote to mojo333:

The weirdest thing happened last Friday.. I mentioned the previous surgeon in another post (the confident cowboy with the excellent reputation who only does the anterior procedure, several hundred annually in fact). I ran into him at the grocery store and he ended up speaking with me for a solid 20 minutes.

I explained to him what my reservations were and he was very amenable to accepting my position about him, etc. As I live on my own with a zero support system, I had really wanted to go with the anterior approach initially. One of things that was really depressing me (hence the beginning of the "Pre-Op Blues" thread) was going to be my lack of independence for 6-8 weeks with the posterior. Also being told that I cannot ride the bus for 3 months was a killer for me as I depend on the bus to get around San Francisco! (Used to have a car, but got rid of it before attending grad school on the UK..plus SF is so small and compact that one does not need a car).

Anyway, Dr. Cowboy ,(okay, this really isn't fair as although the cowboy is very self-confident, he also exceptionally nice without any arrogance whatsoever), promised he could fit me in for surgery in August and he did (8/28).I met with the posterior surgeon today and she thought it was a good idea if I postponed my surgery with her for next Monday until I meet the cowboy again next week. She wanted me to make sure I was comfortable with my decision. She used to do anterior, but has stopped because she learned that the long-term success rate is only 2/3 of patients and the risk f long-term nerve damage is as high as 20%! Mind you, 90% of her patients are well over 65 and are more prone to falls/fracture.

The surgeon that trained her and who she still works with, is still performing the anterior approach and she did emphasize that there have been successful anterior surgeries. I know that you too had the anterior approach for your bilateral.

So conflicted at the moment!
 
P.S. please excuse the typos..a bit tired and stressed at the moment..
 
Wow @Lerwick8 what a full plate you have!!!! I didn't have bilateral, just to get that out of the way :cool:

You are after a brave thing, switching around surgeons and talking to them both about it! Bravo you for standing up for your wishes and self! I have just gone and done some reading, and I really wish I hadn't. I'm not as careful a consumer of medical expertise as I am of many other things. I can understand your conflict, and this is a great topic for bringing out here. I wish I had wise help for you....but wise in hips I ain't! If I'll need a revision, I'll need a revision. I do have a numb spot on the outside of my thigh. I had a large numb spot on my belly after a hysterectomy, too, so I was actually expecting it for the hip. I never notice it, and it's gotten smaller. I do notice how strong and happy the hip is, though! I have chronic tendonitis, but I kinda think that was my fault, as I can pinpoint when it started, and what I was doing that I believe set it off. I will not be doing that this time; I will be taking it a little more easy earlier on.

I believe that whatever choice you make, will be the right one for you. If you need extra time, take it. I know your dad is constantly hovering at the edge of your thoughts-- just another reason for stress. But you would want to be completely happy with your course of action before you set upon it. And as always, we have to remember that any surgery comes with risks, and that we have to actually sign a piece of paper that says we understand that (among other things) we could die as a result of this. Not something I like to dwell on!

I hope you get some clarity in your head about this, so that you can proceed with the actual getting-better part, going to see dad part, no-OA-pain part!
 
I get the impression that you are very apprehensive about this surgery as most of us were prior to our own surgeries. However, if you read the recovery threads, you will find that nearly everyone finds it isn't as bad as they imagined and they just wish they had done it sooner. It does help a very lot to read both the pre-op and recovery threads so you have an idea what you might expect and it helps a lot.

As far as the recliner, I really don't think you need one. As others have said, recovery is really quite short - just a matter of weeks really - so to get one for that seems like a waste. We have both a recliner and a couch but all I every used was the couch. I liked it because it does have the foot rest that raises but you said you have an ottoman and that would work the same way. I know up above @Mojo333 said she LOVED her recliner but keep in mind, she had both hips done at the same time and that may make a difference. I did have a problem sleeping once or twice but just moved to the couch, put my feet up and slept there.

I had anterior but from all that I've read, the outcomes in the long run for both types of surgery are pretty much the same and that includes the recovery time. Not everyone is a candidate for anterior either so that is another consideration. I believe my surgeon does both and when I asked which he would use, he said he would use anterior since I wasn't that big or something like that. It gave me the impression that one consideration is the patients size and I'm sure there are other considerations as well. Plus some surgeons like the one you mentioned may just prefer the posterior over anterior. The surgeon I used does about 500 joint replacements a year with I believe around a 98% success rate. He does both anterior and posterior.

Some surgeons these days do not impose the 90 degree restriction on posterior surgery patients and others do. Don't automatically assume they will and be sure to ask. I believe it was @Layla who recently mentioned her surgeon did not impose that rule. You can see her thread in the recovery forum.

If you live alone, you may be eligible to go to rehab for a few days once you are released from the hospital. That short stay would help you those first couple days until you are able to go home alone. You might ask about that at your doctor's office.

Whichever surgeon you choose, you should ask how many replacements they do per year. You want to be sure to pick a surgeon who does a lot of them. If I remember correctly, I believe one of the administrators said you should pick one that does at least 200 a year. That is very important.

I've rambled enough but I wish you all the best with your surgery. It will be life changing. You can't imagine how fantastic it is to walk again with absolutely no arthritis pain!! Keep us posted.
 
@zauberflöte .. thank you so much for your continued encouragement, which is very much appreciated!

I am not getting a bilateral (just the left hip for now). I was only using that as a reference for @Mojo333 who did have an anterior bilateral.

I really had to reflect on what the OS said this afternoon about why she will no longer perform anterior surgery again. After some reflection, I came to the realization, be it wrong, or right, that over 90% of her patient population is 70+ years old and might be more prone to falls/fracture than younger patients. But who am I to talk..I doubt that I would be where I am if it wasn't for a really bad fall 18 months ago.

Until the numbers she quoted are actually published, it is hard to say what is fact and what isn't. When I told my primary care doc about this today, her reaction was. "well if the failure rate is that high, then you would think the procedure would have been banned outright."

Ugh.. I am going to meet with the cowboy next week on 8/17 and see how I feel. He did do cortisone injections on me last March/April (none of which worked because my hip was already beyond the help of injections), so he is not a complete unknown..just a very, very confident (and no big ego whatsoever) guy and I am not necessarily accustomed to such high confidence myself.

Funny thing about my Dad..one his caregivers had an anterior replacement a few months ago and she is doing very well and is very happy! I remember when she was in so much pain that she was constantly grimacing :))
 
@GrannyC ..Thank you for your reply!

I am an ideal candidate for anterior as I am quite petite and in excellent overall health. I did indeed see @Layla's post and was encouraged by it; however, my surgeon (the same one who refuses to do anteriors any longer) is very, very, strict about the 90 degree rules. She is hyper conservative and the affectionately known cowboy is the polar opposite.

Unfortunately, being a small city, SF is not especially blessed with a lot of rehab facilities. I checked them out a few weeks back and none of them would even consider me due to my age and condition. I have arranged for home health care at my expense. But, as noted earlier, I absolutely thrive on my independence and much of my ambivalence stems from losing that for an extended period as well as not being allowed to use the bus.

The cowboy performs well over 200 anterior surgeries per year (although granted I need to get the exact number) whereas the other surgeon does not perform quite as many of the posterior only. They both have excellent reputations, although the cowboy has 57 positive Healthgrades reviews and she only has 9 (not that that is really worth much).
 
I have a low soft sofa..

No issues just hard to get up from it. I am recovering still but pretty well over it all. April hip replacement. My hip didn't fall off from my sofa. I would use the risers.

Where did you buy them @Lerwick8 ???

Prayers for you and Dad . Hugs and a puppy :dogsniff:
 
Thank you @MyAussieGirl for your thoughts and prayers. What I wouldn't give to have a puppy/dog! They are not allowed in my apartment building:hairpulling:

I bought the risers on Amazon. Did you have anterior or posterior?
 
I ended up switching OSs and went with the one that made me feel confident about the surgery. While surgical expertise is more important than approach, I had similar concerns and sought out an anterior OS mostly because my friend had a successful outcome. You will likely do well with either OS and either approach.

I had two anterior thrs and do have numb patches on the outer side of both legs (nerve injury?) but it's no big deal, seems to be slowly getting better. You may luck out and not experience it.

You will be surprised at how mobile you are from day one. I did not need a rehab center, home care, a recliner or any special assistance other than a walker, crutches, cane, grabbers and a toilet seat riser w/handles. I easily got around and had to rein myself in, went out to lunch on day 5 with friends. I didn't board a bus and can't comment on the steep stairs, just take it slow and you'll be fine. I was surprised at how easy it was compared to the scenarios I had created in my mind.

The OS you met in the store sounds great, not too many drs would spend that amount of time discussing hip surgery unless they were passionate about their work.
 
Last edited:
Thank you @Horseshoe for your encouragement!

Yes, I am leaning towards the anterior at this point. I have a meeting/pre-op with Dr. Cowboy (as I affectionately call him now) on 8/17 and, as he promised at the store last week, he did indeed squeeze me into his surgery schedule for 8/28, although it is at a rather late 2:05 p.m.). Well, beggars can't be choosers!

Sorry about your numb patches. I must admit to being concerned about this, but I am glad that yours are not bothering you too much and that they are even getting better with time.

I am sure that it beats the horrible groin pain I am having (and bursitis, aching leg, etc). Last night I was having multiple spasms in the groin that felt as though I was being repeatedly stabbed. How I manage to sleep so soundly through the night is anyone's guess.

Ahh.. the bus. I will ask the doc next week about that. The SF buses aka SF MUNI do have stairs that can be lowered by the driver, so that is not too much of an issue. I believe the issue with the posterior/bus is that the seats on the bus tend to be on the very low side and the bus rides can, at times, be jerky experiences. But, hey, I would be totally thrilled to be able to take it even 5-10 blocks to Japantown or the grocery store (eventually).
 
Hey @Lerwick8 ! My OS could also be Dr Cowboy-- he kinda looks like a Marlboro man. I am agreeing that barring unforeseen circumstances, you probably wouldn't be happy in a rehab place. There is No Place Like Home (click red sequin heels...) to recover. For my first hip, I had no need of a toilet riser, as the toilet was a nice 1960's tall original, tucked in between a handy window ledge and the vanity, so I could push/pull myself up easily from day 1. This house, very low toilet, floating out in the middle of a wall. So I have a commode, and may use it for a while yet, as I really do have to be totally independent of support to get up. Or I could use hubby's, which has the vanity next to it, I didn't think of that!

Your PCP made an interesting comment. I get the feeling you and she were talking about two different things. "Long term success rate" sounds like 10-20-30 years dwn the road. "Failure rate" sounds like, the thing falls apart in 6 months! As far as hips and falls, there are many of us on here who have fallen multiple times, some of them quite spectacular (mine, for example!) with no ill effects. I started my fall career at 8 months, by flying off a moving treadmill from vertigo (turned head to talk to somebody, bad idea) and I can remember three really spectacular and 3 not-so-much falls since then. The hip never hurt. Lots of other body parts did, and one stupid fall involving a shampoo/conditioner-slick bathtub and a cat gave me one or more cracked ribs! I think fall damage statistics can have a lot to do with bone density? Also, if your muscles are strong, as very many 70+'s are, you should have better fall results. And you are young and fit.

That not riding the bus thing sounds like that OS is quite cautious. I have to call @Peaches in for this, as she is a city-dweller who had to return to work at 6 weeks (:yikes:) and used public transportation which included many many steps per trip. She was out practising for that at maybe 4 weeks! Here is a random post, her 6-month update, from her recovery thread "Peachy/Pits". She's not on much now, but the tag may get her.
 
Hi @zauberflöte !

Dr. Cowboy in my case just means that the OS is very confident and a bit casual (the same guy who was chewing gum when I saw him for a cortisone injection some months back). He is the polar opposite of the ultra-conservative OS who does the posterior only (an no more anteriors). He (Dr. Cowboy) does, however, have an excellent reputation and has no big ego whatsoever :))

The OS in question actually said "failure rate," her words, not mine. That said my bone density could be better. I have taken synthroid for most of my life, having had my thyroid removed in 1975. Unfortunately, synthroid does decrease bone density in the long run. I will discuss these things with him next week before making a final decision.

Oh.. I never contemplated a rehab facility and there are none around here that would take me due to my age (as mentioned in a previous post). There is definitely no place like home :)

I'll check out @Peaches thread. Thank you!
 
Hi @Lerwick8 till someday when you can have a puppy dog I will keep you in them. I had posterior RTHR low sofa squishy too...hubby raised it on bricks but it wasn't enough. He helped me get up. As you have risers...cool on Amazon I'll keep that in mind for hip 2.....and the dude to help you set the house up for surgery ...you got it made.

I sweated the same things and I did fine. Still you have help use it. Oh and my car....low sports car...bucket seats.

:dogwalk::doggie:
 
Do you know anyone who has had surgery with with Dr. Mayle and, if so, was it a good experience for them?

@Lerwick8 staff at my OS office recommended Dr M in the event I wanted to get a second opinion, said he was good and that people liked him. I attended his hip info clinic but have no personal knowledge of anyone who went to him.

I researched surgeons a lot as my GP didn't know much about thr's unfortunately. I asked my discerning neighbors and Nicolas Mast at St Francis received great reviews. Thomas Vail and Christopher Cox in SF also rated well. Mast didn't take my insurance unfortunately; he's a high volume OS, fellowship trained by the revered Dr Matta in the anterior method, also does bilaterals. A former BS member went to him:

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/plum-perfects-new-hip.32787/

I was torn between using a younger less experienced OS with the latest training or a more seasoned one and chose the latter. He took his time, does revisions and while his numbers are decent, he is not a high volume OS. The upswing is I didn't feel like I was on a thr conveyor belt. He is accessible and doesn't use a PA which to me was a bonus.

My thoughts.. as for the gum chewing OS, it's quirky. If you're not "feeling it" then it does no harm to see a third, that may just give you the perspective you seek. My medical pet peeve is clean hands, a surgeon's most precious asset.

In my hindsight, it's beneficial to pick an OS who will likely provide good aftercare should you need it as opposed to a cut 'n run type of surgeon who refers you to PA's and PT's. It's tough to make a big decision when you have concerns and considerable pain; you can get information overload and distracted by details -that's just me. You will know when you find the right OS, you'll start to feel excited about getting it overwith and done. Fortunately SF has a choice of good surgeons.

Did the first OS specify what aspect about anterior thrs is failing? Dr Leone of HolyCross Center stopped doing anteriors citing consistency reasons. I'm happy with mine but they are still brand new and time will tell.

In any event, this is a very popular surgery and believe you will do well. I remember being in similar shoes and while *full* recovery is slow and requires much patience, you'll be up and moving very quickly, the biggest issue will likely be boredom and your BS friends will gently remind you to slow down!
 
Last edited:
Go with the anterior approach. Both my hips were done via the anterior approach and the results were beyond my expectations. Nine months since the last one and I don't notice any thing hip related.
 
@Horseshoe ...
Thank you for your reply and apologies for my late reply to you.

I am seeing Mayle on Thursday for my pre-op appt. My surgery is tentatively scheduled for August 28th. I say tentatively because of a toenail issue that has caused a lot of problems only made worse by one doctor (seeing another podiatrist on Wednesday).

So, unlike you, I am headed for, Mayle, "the younger, less experienced OS with the latest training and a PA."

Mast does not take my insurance either and I have a NON-Covered California private PPO plan. He really does not take many plans at all:(( I also read the recovery thread for Dr. Mast's patient. She seems to have had an unusually remarkable recovery.

I have read, and quoted in the forum, Dr. Leone's article. The other OS said she recently attended a conference where she learned that 33.3% of anterior replacements fail in the long-term and the risk of post-op neuropathy is as high as 20% (not the 1% that is often cited). She stated that the results will be published soon. Her associate, Dr. McGann, however, does still perform the anterior procedure. When I told my PCP about the results, her response was basically that if the procedure has such a high failure rate, then it would be banned.

It is a tricky one in that, as you so aptly note, the anterior approach is still a relatively new approach and the long-term outcome is still TBD. Suffice it to say, although the pain and recovery can be just as long and difficult as the posterior, I am attracted to the idea of a less invasive option. That said, I will check that Mayle does revisions too if the anterior fails.
 
Hi @Lerwick8
Just catching up on the forum and have been reading some of your posts, posterior versus anterior. I cannot speak of posterior other than what I have read, but I had double anterior on July 6 and I cannot say enough good things about it. My mobility was amazing post surgery, second day home I climbed 13 steps up to my bedroom. I have to keep myself at bay from doing too much, like you said, but I am six weeks out this coming Friday and have spent this week scaling a 12 foot ladder working on our camp, on my feet eight hours and I'm getting stronger day by day. I had a bit of the nerve sensitivity around the tops of my thighs like @Mojo333. If I had it to do all over again I would do anterior 10 times over. Just my experience for what it's worth. [emoji2]



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Lerwick8
It sounds as though you've developed a plan and that's encouraging. Being as conflicted as you were is unsettling, but certainly understandable.

I'm sure we've all been there during the process. Myself, coming to terms with the fact I needed surgery came first. Next it was, who am I going to allow to perform this surgery on me. Followed by...when am I going to pull the trigger, so to speak. That's how I felt anyway. I was afraid, suffered a lot of anxiety over the thought of surgery even though I knew it was necessary if I wanted my life back.

Most agree that the waiting is the worst part. It sounds as though you won't have a lot of time to wait which is good.

I wish you luck with your pre-op. Hopefully you can keep your scheduled surgery date and be on the road to recovery soon.

Keep us posted....we'll be here to cheer you on.
 
@gaulsuerou .. thank you for your reply!

Yes, I have been following your recovery (along with other folks recoveries) and agree that you are doing unusually and exceptionally well:yay:

I am so happy that you are doing so well. Glad that the numbness is not bothering you very much either.

I just need to prepare myself mentally for losing my independence for 2-3 months. This has been one of the most difficult parts for me! As your recovery is an exception, I do not want to think I will be able to walk 2 blocks after a few months if it is not a reality (it takes 4 blocks to walk to my neighborhood market and back).

I look forward to continue reading about your speedy recovery!
 
@Layla .. you are always such a soothing soul!

Thank you for understanding so well the processes I am going through at the moment (as you too have experienced them).

Your kindness and encouragement is truly appreciated!:loveshwr:
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom