Guest viewing is limited

Decisions before hip surgery- Help!

@sfbaylover totally get where you're coming from, you'll know the right OS when you meet him/her. As you're in SF, there's a Matta protege Nicolas Mast who has a faithful following. People also like Robert Mayle, a youngish OS with a great bedside manner. They both work out of CPMC which has low infection rates, a joint wing, great views and I heard the food is good too :)
 
I've heard great things about Dr. Mast, too. My brother may be going to him because he's displaying the signs. Personally, I was very afraid to be in a car after my hips were done. It just made me so nervous. It was such a relief to get home. It sounds like you have lots of options. I'm sure you'll make the best decision for your situation.
 
@Horseshoe

Thank you for the Dr. Mast recommendation. I don't actually live in San Francisco; I live in Southern California, but I do spend a lot of time in SF every year (It's a fun city!).
I am almost certain that I will have my surgery performed in NYC at Hospital for Special Surgery. But it's always great to have additional names/resources handy.

I know that I will be a much happier person overall after I get my hip replaced. What a burden a faulty hip joint is. Then, at some point, the left one will probably need replacing. But first things first!
 
@Horseshoe .. I really wanted to send you a PM as this is a 'conversation' that I really am not ready to share with the bone universe just yet. Sadly, you will not allow personal messages, so here it goes..
As you may know, Dr. Mayle only does anterior (and with glue).

I did see Dr. Mayle for cortisone injections last March/April. I was a bit disconcerted that, on one occasion, he was smacking gum while consulting (and performing) the injections. And ,when I initially tried to schedule surgery with him, his scheduler was on vacation and the person who took her place never returned my calls.

When I mention to other doctors about the gum-chewing, however, they all seem astounded that a professional would do this . But perhaps I am being too picky about the gum?

If you have read my post/thread "Sofa During Recovery" https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/sofa-during-recovery.42589/page-2 , then you will get a getter idea of what my 'predicament' is.

Dr. Mayle does have an excellent reputation, an amazing bedside manner, and no ego. Moreover, I am far more familiar with CPMC as almost all of my doctors are affiliated with CPMC (I have had two prior minor surgeries at CPMC as well as PT).

Do you know anyone who has had surgery with with Dr. Mayle and, if so, was it a good experience for them?

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom