BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

Sofa during recovery?

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Lerwick8, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Lerwick8

Lerwick8 Member

United States United States
    Greetings..

I have been away from the forum for a while as I have been with my father who is quite ill, so apologies to those who feel that I may have snubbed them somehow. I can assure you that I have been following the recoveries of several members whilst away.

Surgery was originally scheduled for 7/11, but I opted to postpone because I really wanted to see my father (who lives very far away from me) before my surgery.

My family has insisted that, despite my father's condition, I go ahead and get the surgery done as my pain is quite intense.

So, I am scheduled for August 15th for a posterior LTHR.

My big question is do I really need to buy a recliner or can I get by with my sofa? As much as I would love to have a recliner, I only have a small one bedroom apartment with limited space, and do not want to spend a fortune on something that I will not keep forever. Even renting one is a bit out of my reach, not only due to the cost, but the ones available for rental (at the local med supply stores) are all loaned out at present:(

I have ordered risers for the sofa to make it an acceptable height as well a top cushion to not only add even more height, but for comfort (although my sofa is already pretty comfortable). I have an ottoman too. I can also order a tool that helps with getting off the sofa.

I have officially begun my post-op home preparation and any advice regarding the sofa would be truly appreciated!!!!!:thankyou:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    Tags:
  2. 1GreatGran

1GreatGran Member

Hi...I hope your father is getting stronger everyday.
    As for the recliner, I am sure it comes down to personal choice. Many people do not.
    I did and now realize making adaptation like you are planning would have been sufficient.
    I will be having my second hip down on September 11. I am in the process making changes this time. I purchased a double recliner couch. I will look for a couple of firm cushions for each one.
    Bottom line is, height and firm support are your friend.
    I had posterior replacement, so I am not sure those who had anterior method needs were the same.
    Best wishes for you...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3. Pumpkln

Pumpkln Forum Advisor Staff Member Forum Advisor

Glad you are going to move ahead and have your THR.
    You can also check used furniture stores for recliners at a reasonable price.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2017
  4. Lerwick8

Lerwick8 Member

Thank you @1GreatGran ..
    Very helpful information and much appreciated!

Unfortunately, my father's condition is such that he will never get better.. I just hope and pray that he will be around until I am recovered enough from my surgery to fly east to be with him.

I too am having a posterior.. I agree that height and firmness are friends in this instance.

5. Lerwick8

Lerwick8 Member

Yikes... @Pumpkln ..Am I in the wrong forum. I could swear that I posted in the hip replacement pre-op area.

I will change it immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No time to go looking at used furniture stores unfortunately and our local Goodwill stores were recently in the news for a horrible bed bug breakout:((

6. Pumpkln

Pumpkln Forum Advisor Staff Member Forum Advisor

:heehee: , sorry to be confused, my bad. You are in the right place. I just changed it to THR.

7. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Staff Member Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Those adaptations would be fine. It's often not as big an issue as it seems this side of surgery!
    What sort of tool is that?

8. alexthecat

alexthecat Moderator Staff Member

I didn't buy a recliner for my THR. I raised my bed and couch as you mentioned doing and that was fine. Recovery is such a short period of time and it didn't seem worthwhile for me to invest in new furniture that I wouldn't really want afterwards.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Lerwick8

Lerwick8 Member

Thank you 1GreatGran, alexthecat, Josephine for your replies! Very much appreciated!

@Josephine.. This is the tool I was referring to (I really hope that I placed the link correctly, and apologies if I did not)>

I did end up ordering a recliner today, but I can always cancel the order as it won't be delivered until next week. I really do not have a place to put it, but was 'persuaded' by all the folks that swear by them.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Clipper

Clipper Member

I slept in a reclining sofa with an ottoman for a week after my second hip replacement. I think a couch with cushions and an ottoman would work just as well for a week or so post-op. Buying/renting/ furniture for such a short time seems like a waste. Best of Luck!

11. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Staff Member Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
  12. zauberflöte

zauberflöte Don

Hey @Lerwick8 I am in the "who needs another piece of furniture to clog up the traffic pattern?" club, myself. I am making do, for the second time, with a couch and a chair. I have a nice elevating cushion that sort of makes the couch into a recliner, as far as below the waist is concerned, and I go there if m back wants a break. But this hip, only the chair is in a nice summer room, so I spend most of my time there (here...). I washed all the washable throw pillows and fleeces etc, and bought some new ones just n case, for customizing the fit of the sitting places. But I say, if your heart's set on a recliner, then go for it!

It's hard with our parents, isn't it. I'm soooo glad your family is supportive of you in this hip!!!!

13. Lerwick8

Lerwick8 Member

@zauberflöte .. glad that your recovery is going well. It is encouraging (and humorous) to read your post op posts:loll:
    Ah.. the recliner. Well, my heart is certainly not set on it. I am in the same club as you per extra pieces of furniture, especially temporary ones.

The home health care company that I am using has referred me to a handyman that they work with. He helps a lot of joint replacement folks adjust their living spaces to accommodate the recovery period (especially for posterior patients such as myself). Anyway, he is coming on Tuesday to set everything up, including the currently very low sofa ,with risers that I purchased for that purpose. If it is workable, I hope that Macy's will allow me to cancel the recliner order (which is not due to be delivered until Thursday).

In the meantime, I opened my door this morning to 10 boxes from Amazon containing all kinds of fun stuff, from the toilet seat riser to cushions/pillows etc...

Yes, I have a very small family now (my father, cousin, and uncle) and they all live far away. My cousin is my primary form of family support by phone. Hope all is well with your Mom too.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Mojo333

Mojo333 Forum Advisor Forum Advisor

I might be wrong, but I absolutely have a bond with my recliner. Used but I can imagine using it for the next year. Only way I could sleep somewhat comfortably, considerably easier for getting up and down...better for sitting when I get home so don't have to lay down. I know it might be space consuming but my guess is you might fall in love. I never had room for one and had to retire a loveseat to accommodate, and less room for others to sit if I have company...but I need it and I can use less company. Just a thought...

15. Lerwick8

Lerwick8 Member

Thank you @Mojo333. Your feedback is always appreciated!

Yes,it is a tough decision! My space is really small and I honestly cannot imagine giving up any of the three pieces (one sofa, 2 large chairs, +coffee table) that I currently have in my living room.

I could certainly accommodate a recliner if needed, but it will make for a very cramped recovery space (no pun intended, I promise). I do love my sofa and have taken many long naps on it over the years. I will keep thinking it over during the weekend and see what kind of alterations the handyman can make too.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Mojo333

Mojo333 Forum Advisor Forum Advisor

I will be thinking of you as the date nears. You have been waiting quite a while and I am hoping this will be life changing for you.
    With or without recliner, I know you will manage.
    Can't wait till you are on way to recovery.

17. Lerwick8

Lerwick8 Member

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Lerwick8

Lerwick8 Member

@bottomshollow ...Not sure if my previous post actually went through or not..

Someone pointed out to me today that my original surgery date (July 11) is still showing up in my posts. Is it possible to change it to the current date of August 15th? Thank you!

If you received this message twice, then please forgive me.

19. bottomshollow

bottomshollow Moderator Staff Member

changes made.jpg Your surgery date has been corrected per your request.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. zauberflöte

zauberflöte Don