Guest viewing is limited

Sofa during recovery?

I just need to prepare myself mentally for losing my independence for 2-3 months.

More like a few days, not months! Day after I came home I was already bugging people to take me out for a ride in the car :snork:

Second thr was a breeze as I had one good leg to recover on which is similar to those needing just one thr.

OS kept me in the hospital a couple extra days which I really appreciated. I was glad to be monitored by professionals during the initial aftermath as this was my first ever major surgery. I had arranged for family and friends for a ride to my post op appt.

For me, it was always going to be anterior thrs, it felt right for my situation. A good friend sailed through her recovery and was back at work within a couple of weeks. I had no problem sitting, lying down, bending over (with knees bent), etc. New hips immediately felt like my own, much like getting a tooth filling. Numb areas on sides of legs have eased with time and do not bother me at all.

Good luck on your appt, the pre op side is much harder than any post op inconvenience, you're almost there!
 
Last edited:
@Lerwick8 It will be a week tomorrow that i had the anterior approach right hip. They kept me in the hospital for three nights and then straight home, there was no need for rehab. Honestly, i was walking with the walker and very little pain on the day of surgery, the only encumbrance to my functioning were the drugs.

I went through the SAME debate you went and literally changed surgeons one week before my surgery date! Here is what i believe to be true....

Posterior vs. anterior will make no difference at the twelve week mark. the posterior just has the additional precautions in the first six weeks.

In the end i went with the anterior approach even though i much preferred the posterior surgeon i was scheduled with. Why? i am an impatient person, i move quickly through life, six weeks of not able to bend beyond 90 degrees might as well have been a lifetime. Already the first day home i can pick stuff up off the floor (i have three kids, they are sloths), get my underclothes and basically dress myself. i have low couches, it is no problem using my arms to support my weight up, on my own. Between two and three weeks you will have your life back with either approach! havent noticed any numbness

check out this link
https://jaykrusemd.com/hip-surgery/posterior-anterior-total-hip-replacement.php

I am glad i am on the other side of the waiting, the waiting was awful. I would rather be on the mend. I do believe you will be fine either way with either approach. Just seems to make more sense to get up and running a bit quicker with a less invasive approach. My two cents!
 
@lyrock ... Thank you!!!!! Your "two cents" are with a million dollars..

So, I am not the only one who changes surgeons at the last minute (okay last two weeks). What a relief!

Although I do not have kids, much less three sloths, I am completely on my own and independent. This, above anything else ,has been the deciding factor for me. I could not agree more that
six weeks of not able to bend beyond 90 degrees might as well have been a lifetime.


The waiting is indeed awful... I wake up with a strange sense of gloominess/dread every morning due to upcoming surgery. My bedroom/living room are both stacked high with extra pillows, and all kinds of post-op tools (as if I needed reminding of what is ahead).
 
@Horseshoe .. Yikes.. I never meant you to think that you were bossy. I have never had that impression at all!

I always appreciate your input and you have been incredibly generous with your time and advice!
 
No worries. I changed OSs within the last month too, even had an appt for a third who did the antero lateral approach. That's when I thought enough already, it was time to throw down the gauntlet and just do it. Gloominess and dread are normal, went through that as well, was convinced this was the end when really, it was the beginning :yes:
 
Last edited:
Hi @Lerwick8
First, thank you for your kind words......it means a lot.

Next, I've been going through withdrawal with the update... trying to check on people, lol!
You were at the top of my list. I recall you were meeting with your surgeon yesterday for a pre-op visit. I'm wondering if you care to share how it went and if you are feeling any more confident in your selection or encouraged by your meeting.
I hope he was able to put your mind at ease.
Wishing you a relaxing weekend!
 
@Layla .. Thank you for thinking of me!!

Yes, I do feel a bit better after meeting with the surgeon. Still really, really nervous!

It is so strange to think that this upcoming week will be the last week with my natural hip.. kind of a surreal thought.

I hope that you have a great weekend too!:)
 
I also felt some sadness? or melancholy about giving up my body part...it's in an old first out of surgery thread. And I thought I would be able to 'feel that my hips were fake.
Nope, same just NO PAIN!!!!!
It is still amazing to me how unlike all I envisioned.
I did way too much the weekend before my surgery. I hurt so badly I was just grateful to get it done. Still grateful!
Best of luck, you are gonna do great.
 
Hi @Lerwick8
I'm glad to hear you feel a bit more ar ease. In all honesty I didn't want to lose my natural hip either but knew my only option was to continue living in pain and missing out on life. After surgery I feared looking at my incision for the first time due to mourning the loss of the hip I was born with. A few silent tears were shed upon seeing my scar. I also wrote about it in a recovery post. It felt strange that I had this scar but never witnessed how it came to be. I guess the idea that I was asleep while so much took place overwhelmed me a bit. You really do put trust and your life in your surgeon's hands.

Much of the sadness fell by the wayside in realizing the relentless pain was gone! I had a second chance. I'm thankful for that! In the not so distant past, people in our situation were crippled, left to hobble around with walking aids, or be wheelchair bound. We're lucky we have the option of joint replacement. I often wondered and even asked people who've had hip replacements before me if you ever forget......is it always in the forefront of your mind? I was assured you forget AND YOU DO. Naturally, only 7 weeks out and still in recovery, I'm reminded often but I've also been out just living life and realize I haven't given it a thought in hours. I'm sure as time marches on thoughts of it will be less and less.

Prayers for increasing peace as your surgery date approaches. I think you'll do great. Recovery is the easy part, the time leading up to surgery is the worst part. Before you know it you'll be home, rid of arthritic pain and on you're way to a new life. We'll be here on the sidelines cheering you on......I promise you that.
Stay in touch and God Bless.
 
wow, you all have such deep thoughts about body parts! I am a very shallow thinker when it comes to some of that. I was told at 37, "I am afraid I'm going to have to give you a hysterectomy". I nearly got down on the floor and kissed her feet! This awful body part which had done NOTHING for me except hurt a LOT from the time I was 11 on, plus give me miscarriages, was going to Go Away and I wasn't going to have another cramp ever again! I was familiar with surgery by then, so drove myself to the hospital because hubby was home with the (adopted) baby. So, bring on the new hip so I can stop hurting like this! I guess that must seem very hard to some, but it has worked for me.

Of course what they don't tell you when you're 37 is that when you're 65 you may find things inside you are not wanting to stay where they belong......kegels, anyone? :heehee:
 
Hahaha! Yeah I hear you on the last one @zauberflöte
What's up with that? I'm fine during the day but if I wake from sleep and get up to go, I practically need to run!!
Getting old is NOT FOR SISSY'S!

As far as the surgery, I did give it waaaay too much airtime in my head? I know I'd do the same again though.
 
@Layla ..you definitely understand what I am thinking/feeling. Indeed, the hip may be causing a lot of misery, but it is still the hip I was born with.

On the other hand, as you so aptly note, I cannot imagine having to cope without this option as people did in the not too distant past as you said.

Prayers for increasing peace as your surgery date approaches.
Yikes..I am anything but peaceful. I really am trying, but it is difficult. My concentration span is especially low at the moment, I am having hot flashes like crazy ( being three years post-menopause, I normally only get them on rare occasions), and I keep feeling like I am coming down with a cold.

That said, your support is very helpful and very much appreciated!
 
I didn't feel at peace either @Lerwick8 It's a struggle. Your feelings are miserable I realize, but normal! I'm sorry you have to experience this.

I showered with the special soap the night before my surgery, changed my sheets and fell into bed with wet hair, had myself a little old cry and surprisingly did get some sleep. In the morning I was instructed to shower with the soap again and I mechanically went through the motions consoling myself with the fact that I would soon be in recovery and freed from the self imposed hell I had been living in mentally. I barely spoke to my husband on the way to the surgery center. Shed a few silent tears, he noticed and just held my hand in support. Words were meaningless to me and he realized that. Upon arriving everything moved very quickly and I feel it's by design. My husband and youngest sister were in the prep area and my sister lovingly stood right next to me with one hand on my head and the other rubbing my arm as though trying to center me and give me strength....and she did. She stood there until they wheeled me away and then reminded me she loved me. Bittersweet memories for sure.

You will have them too and you will do amazingly well, I truly believe that. You come across as someone with much inner strength. And look at all the thought you've given this in an effort to have the most favorable outcome. Easier said than done but try to imagine the next days as you being one step closer to getting your life back in the way you were accustomed. One step closer to regaining your loss of concentration and losing your preoccupation with unpleasant thoughts. One step closer to walking out of that hospital and back into your home to recover. And please believe that for most recovery is easier and quicker than they imagined it would be.

I like the self assured attitude that Dr Cowboy exhudes. Tells me he's confident in what he does. I think you'll be in good hands. He's going to lovingly and carefully take what's broken and fix you. You'll feel bright, shiny and new in no time! And part of the joy in recovery, for me anyway, was all of that nonsense that had played in my head for so long stopped!

We're here, we'll cheer you on and if you don't mind......I'm going to continue to lift you in prayer.
I hope you're able to get out today and enjoy that beautiful city you live in....its one of my favorites!!
 
Glad to hear you're going through with it this week @Lerwick8 . The run up is nearly over, all the angst, research and preparation is finally coming to a end. It's true that once you get to the hospital it's like a well oiled machine and it all goes very quickly which is a good distraction. Found it reassuring to see the medical team working in their individual roles who were there to help me get out of pain and onto normal life again.

Josephine once said something like a thr isn't much different than getting dental extraction. That galvanized it for it me, who really misses a sore tooth? Both femoral heads are in "hip heaven" and were fantastic until they weren't; I used them up as they were worn out flat and def got my money's worth out of them.

How lucky to have this procedure so readily available when others before us had to suffer and endure declining health as a result.

Best wishes to you this week :)
 
Last edited:
@Layla..Just saw your last post.

You are the best:angel: Your support means so much!

Envious that you had your husband and sister with you on the big day. I will be alone until after surgery when a friend comes to the hospital to see me, so it will be a sort of lonely affair until the post-recovery time.
 
Hi @Lerwick8
You won't be alone. I'm sorry I mentioned my husband or sister, I feel bad. Sometimes in an effort to relate, console, I draw from my own experience and share in an effort to connect, to show a person that I understand how they feel.

My prayers will be that you are surrounded by a loving, caring nursing staff that are comforting to you and show they have your best interest in mind. I believe "Dr Cowboy" (love that) will swagger in, sans the gum, with the confidence that's always appealed to you. He will do his best work and get you your life back. Your dear friend will show up and you'll be home before you know it, reclining on your best comfy chair. You'll feel so much more relaxed knowing the surgery part is behind you.

And don't forget about us......we'll be here! We're a persistent bunch... ready to offer lots of love, support and encouragement! Please post with questions or any anxiety leading up to your big day. Someone will come along, they always do. I'll be checking in to offer support when needed and will be excited to see your first post, after surgery. Even if it's just a tiny little peep waving that all is well :wave:

This week will be good.......it's getting you closer to your new life!!

PS if you have a chance go check out @gaulsuerou She updated this morning. She had great anxiety about surgery, as most do. She had bi-lateral / anterior about 6 weeks ago and her recovery has been inspirational and phenomenal!!
 
Last edited:
@Layla .. oh no! You should not feel bad.

Indeed, your reassuring words over the past week have been a HUGE help to me:) :-) (:

Just about to go over and check @gaulsuerou's update. She has certainly progressed very well!
 
@Lerwick8 Layla said it so well I can't really just repeat what she said, can I LOL. But you will not be alone in the hospital for long enough to sneeze, if my experience is anything to judge by. The first several hours post-op they are checking on you wayyy too often for you to get any rest, which may be what you are yearning for. Even at night they come in every 1-2 hours to check vitals. Your dear friend will be helpful to you in taking notes and keeping track of when you took what med, ordering food, calling for more water (that's when the nurses suddenly disappear, when you want water or to go to the bathroom!), finding the kleenex when you do sneeze, and being a hand on your brow if you want it :)
 
Back
Top Bottom