TKR So THIS is what the "Other Side" feels like!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] So THIS is what the "Other Side" feels like!!
Great update! Fantastic ROM! Terrific attitude! You've got it all going for you, Kelly. Keep up the good work and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] So THIS is what the "Other Side" feels like!!
 
Hey Kelly! Great report. I'm glad you're doing so well and getting stronger for your second surgery. I know what you mean about not working. I had to retire @ 57 due to changes in my profession and credentialing, then the recession hit and well, I love not working! I think I may try to get a small job at the food co-op or something like that just for extra money but up until now I haven't been able to stand for any length of time. That's getting better. Only a short month until your next knee. You've done so well. It's not really that bad is it?
 
"It's not really that bad, is it?"......How I love to read those words! I'm so glad to read your update, Kelly, and learn how well you are doing! I'm getting a bit more nervous everyday, but I know I'll be so happy when it's all said and done. Just glad to hear you continue to progress so well!

I'm glad to read, too, that you are positively talking about knee #2. Since mine will be 6-8 weeks apart, that's good to read!

Take good care, and I'll be watching your updates. Thanks, again and again, for letting us know how you're doing. It so helps those of us that are waiting and worrying!
 
Thank you for your continued support!! Yeah, I could really get into this Lady of Leisure thing Randi, but it doesn't fit into me and hubby's retirement plans. We're retiring at 62, so have 8 1/2 more years to go. Ug!! One thing I am really happy about though is not waiting until I was older to get the replacements....not that my knees were giving me any choices, but I'm thinking of all the stuff I want to do once both knees are complete and I'm all recouped. We live in Colorado, so there are so many hiking opportunities out there, and I'd really like to try cross-country skiing! I'm waaaaaaay too uncoordinated to attempt downhill, especially now, and I wouldn't want to tempt fate with new knees.

You're getting so close Dewey. I can sense you are still nervous some,and that's normal. You are going to do really well, especially keeping a good attitude!! And you know what? EVERYBODY is going to have their own opinions and experiences to share, but to me, it really WASN'T "that bad" :)

Went to OS today and FINALLY got my work release!! Yay! He was really pleased by my recovery and doesn't plan on seeing me again until my pre-op for my next knee.

Oh, paid my bill today too. Gotta love the military.....my knee replacement cost a whopping 51.17!!!!!!! I'm truly blessed that my husband dedicated his life to the military. Seems like every year they cut back on this benefit or that benefit, but so far, we've been very blessed. I'm so grateful that his fighting for our country got me new knees, instead of costing him his life!! Thank you Hubby!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] So THIS is what the "Other Side" feels like!!
Thinking back over a lot of the posts I've read in the past 16 months, it seems that most of us do come to realize that "it really WASN'T 'that bad'." And it could have and would have been better for everyone if they followed the mantra faithfully. For most the surgery is a nothing compared to what they worked up in their minds, and for the majority of us the end result is more than worth the ups and downs of recovery. It's always such a pleasure to me to see others here on the forum come to these realizations and share that with one another.
 
You are doing great. Remember not to over due it. I'm so glad that you got your new date for the other leg. I hope that you have done something special for your job well done. Keep posting so we can see what you are up to. Do take care. Tashia
 
Well, today was my first 1/2 day back to work, and it went great. I think just being away from home and around friends again was a boost I needed. Was tired and sore afterwards, but no more than I would have been had I stayed home. Boss says I can work any 4 hours, so if I have a particularly hard night, I can sleep later and not worry about it. Overall, a very successful day!
 
Yay! :happydance: Doesn't that feel good? There IS life after TKR.
 
Glad work went well Kel (same knickname as my oldest). Have loved reading your thread and your oh, so positive outlook on all of this. I needed that after my little slip and angry knees yesterday! Will be cheering for you all thru your #2.
 
Well, today was my first 1/2 day back to work,
And if this is midweek for you, it means a couple of days at work and then a whole weekend to recover.
That is great your work is so accommodating. :thumb:
 
Hi Kelly,
Just catching up on some of my friends and I was wondering how you were doing. How's being back to work going?
 
Does that mean I'm a slacker? :umm: Just wanted to come on and say I got my other knee done on the 11th of February this year, and everything went swimmingly well. I now have 132 degree flex on both legs, and 3 extension on one, and 1 extension on the other.

Now I have to tell you, my OS says this is good enough.....however PT says "Pooh, you can do better, we need to get you down to 0"!!! So it's pushing, laying on my stomach on a bench and them dangling weights from my feet, etc. trying to get my extension better.

All I can say is OOOOWWWWWWOWOWOWOWOWOOW!!!! When they do this, I hurt for almost 3 days. About the only other thing that causes me pain is walking a little more than average...here comes the swelling, followed by pain.

Is it inappropriate to ask for more pain meds at this point, or do they think from now on we should just "suck it up?". I'll be 8 weeks on my right knee next Monday, and 20 weeks on my left. I get so frustrated that there's still as much pain as there is sometimes....I feel like I should be able to dance down the hallways.

Oh, I tried on heels the other day, and it was hysterical!! I looked like Bambi taking his first wobbly steps, and couldn't keep my balance. *sigh* I'm afraid wedges might be my fashion statement from here on out!

Thanks for listening!!
 
Hi Kelly, that's truly great rom, my pt saYs I should be happy with 110!

Ouch indeed to the whole straightening exercise, sounds like torture :yikes: Poor you.

Your heels story made me :giggle:. I too have been wondering exactly how long will it be or if in fact I'll ever be able to wear them again in comfort. Will think about that later though.

I think if you are in pain, you need decent meds, it's just 8 weeks. Speak to your dr or OS. I'm sure they will help. You cannot heal or PT properly if u hurt.

Lots of luck with the shoes ! Take care, Fernie :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Kelly, that's truly great rom, my pt saYs I should be happy with 110!

Ouch indeed to the whole straightening exercise, sounds like torture :yikes: Poor you.

Your heels story made me :giggle:. I too have been wondering exactly how long will it be or if in fact I'll ever be able to wear them again in comfort. Will think about that later though.

I think if you are in pain, you need decent meds, it's just 8 weeks. Speak to your dr or OS. I'm sure they will help. You cannot heal or PT properly if u hurt.

Lots of luck with the shoes ! Take care, Fernie :flwrysmile:


Thank you!! I see OS today....during the visit, I want to see if I can get digital before/after pics like I've seen on this board! The do have cute wedge shoes out there!! :) I threw a lot of my shoes away because the tread was wore in a way that would negatively affect my new way of walking. There's always a silver lining....new shoes!!!
 
It's funny Kelly, as I've been limping for so long I'm finding it hard to walk normally again. That's a really good point about previous wear on shoes and our new walking method. Wow, if ever there was an excuse to buy new shoes, this has to be it! Wedges here I come ! :rotfl: Fernie
 
Scrappy_tink I have opened up your recovery thread and merged your latest post into it. We close threads that have had no activity for a couple of months so that new members don't accidently post to someone who might not be around BoneSmart to respond. But, we're ALWAYS happy to open a thread back up for an update or concern!! All you need to do is let us know usng the CONVERSATION feature (link at the top of the page). Any of the Mods can do this for you.

I agree with your therapist that you probably can gain some extension. The stretches you are doing are really good for it. But.....you shouldn't hurt for 3 days afterwards. That indicates the weight is a bit much and/or the time spent in the stretch should be a little less for now.

Tell me what weight you're using and how long you're doing the stretch at a time. Also...how many times a day do you stretch? Maybe I can help make this a little less painful as you get to your goal. Remember...extension is the hardest to obtain, so give yourself some time to get this done.

If you're having pain, have you tried Tylenol and/or icing? Both are great and if they work, you would not need to go back to prescription pain medications. You also might try our Tylenol/ibuprofen cocktail. However, if none of this works, I think your best bet would be to talk with your GP about something for the pain. Just give these other things a try first.
 
Kelly.....so good to hear from you again! I'm glad to hear your second surgery is over.....and both knees are doing well! You must be so glad to have both surgeries over!

I am headed to #2 on Monday, and knee #1 will only be 10 weeks old. I'm not sure knowing what to expect this time is any better than the fear of the unknown!! How did your 2nd surgery compare with the first? And my biggest question/concern is......Did your first knee handle taking over while #2 was recouping?

I will, also, be having a MUA during the surgery so I'll wake with TWO sore knees! Not looking forward to that, believe me, but I do want it to be the best it can be.

Would love to hear some more details about having your second knee done so soon after #1.
THanks!!!
 
Hi guys!! I know it's been forever since I've checked in, just thought I'd give an update and asks some questions about some concerns of mine,

I had my left knee replaced the week of thanksgiving last year, and I'm on week 12 from my right knee replacement. (Feb 11th). I went back to work on weeks 7 after my first replacement, and week 6 after my second replacement. My last ROMs were taken around week 7 of my 2nd replacement, where they were about the same around 130 flex and 1-2 extension. My last OS appointment, I was told I'm good for a year.

Well, here's my problem, and I'm not sure if it's "normal". When I'm working, I sit in a regular office type seat with feet on the ground. I'm still having pain when I first stand up, and am very stiff when I start walking....sometimes by the time I get home, my ankles and knee (most recent one) still swells some and puts off heat. Is this normal after 12 weeks? Me and hubby went to mall last week and my stamina has gotten better, but still have some pain after some long distance walking....and of all things, it's very uncomfortable to just STAND in one place for any amount of time.

I have to add, since my healthcare change from Tricare to United Health, my latest rehab referral got "lost in the shuffle" and it STILL hasn't been approved yet, so it's been WEEKS since physical therapy. :(.

So my main issues are:

1. pain upon standing
2. Stiffness with some pain when walking
3. Sill some swelling (though not terrible)
4. Standing for any length of time in one place
5. Gettin in/out of car is still painful. I actually got "stuck" getting out of a car last week. I didn't have any problems getting in, but I couldn't get the right angle getting out...untill a lot of painful maneuvering and bending in ways it didn't want to bend!!

GOOD THINGS:

1. NO boating night pain (though some discomfort when changing positions)
2. stairs are no longer the enemy!!
3. No more limping.

My happy place is sitting in my recliner, where there is never any pain at all.

Can someone please tell me if I'm at least semi-normal in my recovery, r am I expecting too much too soon? Could my lack of PT Hendering my reovery?

Thanks so much for listening to me!!
 
Hi guys!! I know it's been forever since I've checked in, just thought I'd give an update and asks some questions about some concerns of mine,

I had my left knee replaced the week of thanksgiving last year, and I'm on week 12 from my right knee replacement. (Feb 11th). I went back to work on weeks 7 after my first replacement, and week 6 after my second replacement. My last ROMs were taken around week 7 of my 2nd replacement, where they were about the same around 130 flex and 1-2 extension. My last OS appointment, I was told I'm good for a year.

Well, here's my problem, and I'm not sure if it's "normal". When I'm working, I sit in a regular office type seat with feet on the ground. I'm still having pain when I first stand up, and am very stiff when I start walking....sometimes by the time I get home, my ankles and knee (most recent one) still swells some and puts off heat. Is this normal after 12 weeks? Me and hubby went to mall last week and my stamina has gotten better, but still have some pain after some long distance walking....and of all things, it's very uncomfortable to just STAND in one place for any amount of time.

I have to add, since my healthcare change from Tricare to United Health, my latest rehab referral got "lost in the shuffle" and it STILL hasn't been approved yet, so it's been WEEKS since physical therapy. :(.

So my main issues are:

1. pain upon standing
2. Stiffness with some pain when walking
3. Sill some swelling (though not terrible)
4. Standing for any length of time in one place
5. Gettin in/out of car is still painful. I actually got "stuck" getting out of a car last week. I didn't have any problems getting in, but I couldn't get the right angle getting out...untill a lot of painful maneuvering and bending in ways it didn't want to bend!!

GOOD THINGS:

1. NO boating night pain (though some discomfort when changing positions)
2. stairs are no longer the enemy!!
3. No more limping.

My happy place is sitting in my recliner, where there is never any pain at all.

Can someone please tell me if I'm at least semi-normal in my recovery, r am I expecting too much too soon? Could my lack of PT Hendering my reovery?

Thanks so much for listening to me!!
 
I had my knees done about one month later than your schedule. Standing makes them very stiff and sitting less so. Walking is wonderful, no pain. I am not concerned as from what I have learned it will take about a year to completely heal.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom