Guest viewing is limited

TKR So THIS is what the "Other Side" feels like!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry - that was hip information!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] So THIS is what the "Other Side" feels like!!
    lying legs.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 144
Josephine, thank you, I think I learned this lesson the hard way. I tried keeping my "good knee" snuggled against the wedge last night, and the threw my "new knee over the wedge with some supporting pillows. I'm really feeling the difference today...curvature seems "out of wack", and knees sorer than ever. Guess patience is the "name of the game". Oh, how I hate patience!!! :tantrum:
 
Josephine Josephine, is this guidance forever, or just early on? And what is the turning point if it is not forever?
 
I'm just curious....am I the only one that has asked their significant other/husband/partner (I think that about covers it!) to move to another bed until the healing process is over? Sometimes I feel so mean :hissy:,sometimes I feel so blessed that I have such an understanding husband :angel: Sometimes, I'll admit, I feel lonely :cry:, But most of the time, I feel relief that I don't have to worry abut him throwing his leg over mine or, or keep I can turn turn the tv on at 3:00 am when the aches begin again and I'm waiting for the pain killers kick in.

I just hope I don't get TOO COMFORTABLE!! It's kind of nice to not have to nudge him to put on his CPAC machine....and I can stretch out as much as I want. We've also started having "date nights", where he comes to bed with me to watch CSI, and my 19 year old son, will come up and watch Walking Dead with Me. Kind of nice having a place of my own!!:sleep:
 
Are you kidding? My husband and the dogs are contantly fighting off lions and tigers and bears (oh my!) while on amazing adventures in his sleep - which means I get kicked, pushed and knocked out of bed when we sleep together. My second night home, he decided it would be good for him to sleep with me in case I had any issues in the night (my first night home the dog got sick on the bedroom floor among other things). I was already miserable from not having much sleep, but I was so terrified that he would kick me or push me out of bed in the middle of the night that I didn't sleep a wink. I told him the next night to keep his cell phone close by and I would call him if necessary!
 
Hi! Tink---congrats on your new knee. As I recall we have had several members who relegated their hubbies to another room for the very reasons you mention. Probably better for both all the way around. So don't feel guilty at all about it. You'll get back to "normal'" soon enough. Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] So THIS is what the "Other Side" feels like!!
 
When I came home from the hospital, I slept in the recliner for several weeks. I was worried about the bumps etc, and I felt very comfortable on the recliner. It is absolutely normal to want your space and to be comfortable and not worry about anything.
 
Kelli, having your hubby sleep elsewhere is NOT being mean dear. I had a daybed in my livingroom (hubby bought me a very plush pillow top mattress for it right before surgery) and stayed there 24/7. I had the same concerns as you did with not wanting to be kicked etc in the night. My hubby set everything up on remotes!! The lights, the big screen TV ( we have a 92 inch theatre system TV.) the air conditioning
the stereo system, everything!! I never had to get up to turn anything on or off. He went to bed and I stayed in the livingroom. Just like you, I didn't have to worry,when I could not sleep and I watched more late night and early morning TV than I thought was humanly possible. I had my iPad when I wanted to get online at 3:00 AM.

This recovery is different than any other. You just do what works for YOU, and I know your family will understand the need for the separation in sleeping areas dear one. It is not uncommon at all.
 
Kelli, after a few weeks of healing, you will be able to sleep on your side!! I started to sleep on my side after 3 weeks. A dear friend of mine had BTKRs and was sleeping on her side in a fetal position while she was still in the rehab facility and no one said a thing about it.

You'll get there!! Having to sleep on your back is NOT a permanent thing. Just early on. When it isn't too uncomfortable for you it will be just fine to sleep on your side.
 
Sounds like you're doing well....except for the nausea. I look forward to more of your story:)
 
Kelli, I have exiled myself to another bedroom where I can toss and turn to my hearts content and not disturb my husband. I can also listen to music in the middle of the night, or read, or whatever. I consider it survival! I am almost four weeks out but figure I will stay in the other room till I am able to get a decent nights sleep...whenever that is! LOL
 
I can get to sleep Ok but wake 4am and leave my wife asleep and go elsewhere to read, watch telly or try to sleep on settee. So don`t feel guilty just do what works best for everyone!
 
I slept in another room...and it was great. I could have stayed there forever but one son arrived to stay one weekend with his girlfriend so moved back at about 3/4 months. I can sure appreciate why some couples have separate rooms/beds!
 
I went to bed at night with my husband, but at around 1 am I would end up going to the spare bedroom and sleep or watch tv if I couldn't sleep. I needed to stretch more than I could in the bed with hubby. Then about a month ago I started coming back to bed after my 1 am wakeup and hubby would move over to my side and I would sleep the rest of night on his side of the bed so I could stretch my tkr knee more. My hubby was very understanding about it all. He is not a wild sleeper, so sleeping with him was fine. It just got more comfortable for awhile to move over to the other room. Now I use him as something to rest my leg on. LOL Hugs!

PS: I guess it was after about 6 weeks, I started putting a pillow between my knees and slept on my side like that. Now I put the pillow between my knees, kick it off when tired of it, and then pull it back up when I need it again:)
 
Are you kidding? My husband and the dogs are contantly fighting off lions and tigers and bears (oh my!) while on amazing adventures in his sleep - which means I get kicked, pushed and knocked out of bed when we sleep together. My second night home, he decided it would be good for him to sleep with me in case I had any issues in the night (my first night home the dog got sick on the bedroom floor among other things). I was already miserable from not having much sleep, but I was so terrified that he would kick me or push me out of bed in the middle of the night that I didn't sleep a wink. I told him the next night to keep his cell phone close by and I would call him if necessary!

Haha!! You poor thing, that must have been a horrible night!! The cell phone is the best thing invented....I need anything, it's just a text away!! Biscuit (our Yorkie) has been a good girl and hasn't tried to walk or snuggle too close, so she's sleeping on hubby's side of bed, keeping his place for him warm. LOL
 
Am I asking too much....being a Prima Donna?

I noticed that the pain pills that my OS prescribed me were running low last Friday, so (thinking ahead, don't want to get in a pain cycle!) called and left a message for him, letting him know I'd need more meds. Monday, no return call....took last of pain meds. Tuesday, PT, really, really, really need pain meds to be able to do my best motion-wise....STILL no call for my pain meds. Finally I called my Rheumatologist, and relief is on it's way.

I know my OS is a busy man, but it is expecting too much to be able to get a prescription within 3 working days? I called my Rheumatologist at 11:00 this morning, and by 2:00 they said prescription would be waiting at front desk for me. Maybe I'm just spoiled from having an awesome rheumatologist.

Other than that mess up, guess I've been doing good post-op, though Spring Fever has hit. I want to DO something, I want to GO somewhere. I do go tomorrow to get my staples removed, guess I'll ask OS then what's the deal? I even told them when I called for the refill that I didn't need the MSCotin (to me, that just makes me sleepy, but does nothing for pain), just the Percocet.

I don't know, I'm just being bitchy and frustrated today. Not one person that I've known for 20 years at my work has called to see how I've been doing, but I have a Disney Cruise (me and DH are going next November) Forum, that is always asking how I'm doing and offering support (not to mention you guys) I was worried about work, but now I feel like "screw'em", if the boss can't even call for 3 minutes to ask how I'm doing or if I need anything.

Sorry, Kelly's got the blues.
 
Aww hugs Kelly!! I always felt bad cuz rarely did my bosses call to check on me. Then one of their favorites would get sick and they sent flowers etc. At least you know that we love ya, and are here for you anytime you need it. ♥
 
Oh man, I am so behind here, but what I want to know is if I sleep like the picture posted will I wake up looking like her???:heehee: As for hubby sleeping with me it was fine at first as I had the big wedge pillow and it protected me from his legs. But then he had the spine problem and then surgery so he needed to go to the other bedroom because he was laying on his back and snoring constantly and I couldn't kick him to turn over. Trying to get back to normal but it isn't easy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom