Guest viewing is limited

TKR So THIS is what the "Other Side" feels like!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No such luck, Deb. I've slept like that for years, and all I've gotten is older and fatter and more wrinkled. But I have slept well.
[Bonesmart.org] So THIS is what the "Other Side" feels like!!


Debbie_joints
 
Kelly, I'm so glad that you are on this side! I haven't been on in awhile, but I was wondering about you. I can't believe they shushed you in surgery!!!!! My husband, and his brother have a tendency to "wake up" during surgery. BIL woke up while having his kidney removed, it was not pretty.
It sounds like you are doing great, but be careful not to over do it!
 
I saw your posts on the pre-op side and finally just read your whole thread. It sounds like you're doing really well and it reminds me how we have to just find our way through this as best we can. I feel so lucky to have this site or I probably would have gotten upset or freaked out several times. One day when my knee flared up I was sure that there were some loose bone chips floating around in there! Well it cleared up by the next day after elevating and icing and my drama was over! But without the support and information here I might have gone to the hospital! Speaking of which, when I was in the hospital the nurse would come in at night and help me to get on my side. It's finally getting to be more comfortable now at six weeks but I still have to spend at least half the night on my back, which I hate. As yes, I start the night in bed with my partner but within a few hours I'm in the living room sleeping on my extra wide window seat. I just toss around too much and it's more relaxing to do that when I'm sleeping alone. :sleep: plus there's turning on the light to read, look at the iPad, or other mid night entertainments. In a way this recovery is a real period of discovery and learning and that's kind of cool. ( sorry if some of this is bold type, I accidentally touched the button and it kind of went crazy)
 
Kelly, you are not asking too much or being a prima Donna, you are simply being responsible and trying to have your needs met. You need to ask your doc what went wrong in his system that your script wasn't prepared for you. You might also call your health plan member services and alert them to the issue you had so they can step in. It is hard for us to get themedssincewe depend on others to pick up and fill scripts. Your doc really dropped the ball on this one! Sure hope the staple removal goes smoothly...my knee felt so much better when I got them out.
 
I agree with nmscienceteacher, I would really give your doc the what for not responding to your refill request in a more timely manner. Thats what started my whole 4 week gastritis battle. I was taking Dilaudid 4 mg every 3 hours and needed a refill, well no one called me back, so I just started weaning the Dilaudid becuz I was concerned with withdrawals. So instead I started taking the Percoset 2 every four hours. Whats wierd I was taking Percoset before my surgery for chronic pain and fibro, but was only taking 1/2 tab. But after my tkr I was take 2 whole tabs every four hours and it tore up my stomach REALY bad. So bad I couldn't even go to PT or even go see the doc, I just didn't want to move.

I finally got back on the Dilaudid and things started improving from then on. So do tell him that this is a very painful surgery, and you need to know that you can get your refills in a more timely manner. Enjoy getting your staples out, it feels so much better without them in. Hugs!
 
Kelly - did you get signed up with aquatic PT as you had wanted to? If so, have you started yet and how is it?
 
Kelly - did you get signed up with aquatic PT as you had wanted to? If so, have you started yet and how is it?

Hi, thanks for thinking of me!! Haven't started yet, I still have a "teensy" part of my knee that has to heal before they'll let me in the water!

On that note...I think PT "broke" me last Tuesday!! I was doing so well. I haven't used a walker since I've been home, and going up the stairs, even the first time, was pretty much a breeze (thanks for the PT people at hospital teaching me the trick). I went to PT on Tuesday, and my knee hasn't felt the same since. We didn't do anything really "extra", and nothing really strenuous, the only thing that was done that hadn't been done before was scar manipulation (which REALLY stung!) I'll talk to them about it when I go this afternoon.

4 weeks out, I'm pretty much off my meds, though take if I feel I need to. I'm driving now and take SMALL daily outings (to the grocery store, etc)....my ROM is 0-125.

Me and DH did rent a scooter last weekend and went to the mall for some Christmas Shopping. BAD IDEA!! Not because of "energy drain", but because it was so stinking crowded that I could hardly maneuver. We did have a lovely dinner out.

Now, I want to talk about energy drain. I'm wondering if we might contribute to it a little ourselves. The first time I tried to get "out and about", I was breaking out in a cold sweat and felt like passing out. Not one to give up, I got up and did more the next day, and felt the same. Well, now, a week later, no weakness, no cold sweats, and lots of energy (haven't taken a nap for over a week!). I'm beginning to wonder if I let myself dwindle in bed, barely eating, for three weeks helped contribute to the weakness I initially felt. I'm going to try things a little differently when I get my right knee done in February. Not push it, mind you, but get up and a little more active around the house, instead of lying around all day.

Well, off to the Dr. and then PT. Going to address them about last Tuesday. I've been aching worse since my last PT session than I have in a couple of weeks.
 
:thankyou:
Thank God I have found this forum...I have been & am still afraid...Just told last month that I need a knee replacment and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it...Pain will not stop in knee & hip...I'm sure that I'll be back to read more post...Thanks to all of you...
 
Kelly, I had to keep looking at your LTKR replacement date, wow, driving at 4 weeks and to the grocery store to boot!:thumb:
Great range of motion for early on!
I also remember early on, breaking in a cold sweat and felt like passing out when I would venture out. The doc said it could be anxiety from the anticipation of venturing out for the first few times. I found out that my blood pressure was running low, which gave me the same feeling, so you might want to keep an eye on your BP as well!
I hope your knee feels better!
 
Kelly, I had to keep looking at your LTKR replacement date, wow, driving at 4 weeks and to the grocery store to boot!:thumb:
Great range of motion for early on!
I also remember early on, breaking in a cold sweat and felt like passing out when I would venture out. The doc said it could be anxiety from the anticipation of venturing out for the first few times. I found out that my blood pressure was running low, which gave me the same feeling, so you might want to keep an eye on your BP as well!
I hope your knee feels better!


Thanks!! I really think (Only my opinion, in my case), I was eating a like a bird, and stayed in bed most of the time for the first three weeks...sticking to the Bonesmart mantra, rest, ice & elevation. I really think if I'd gotten up more often (not leaving house and making trips or anything, but just exercising a little to get my blood flowing, and eating better, that the weakness wouldn't have hit me so hard. They did have a hard time getting my blood pressure up after my surgery while in the hospital, and ended up having a transfusion to try to "perk things up". My husband laughs because he brought me a spaghetti salad (my favorite from a local italian eatery) to the hospital for dinner one night and I kept on falling asleep between bites (he ended up feeding me). Too much morphine I guess. LOL I've had hypertension for years, and I'm embarrassed to say I haven't been paying very much attention to my blood pressure meds since being home....however, when I went to Dr. today, BP was "picture perfect", even after neglecting to take my BP meds for at least 3 days.

Anyway, good check up, Dr. is pleased with my ROM, and I've lost 10 pounds (YAY!!). He thinks my recent pain is because of the PT scar manipulation....a necessary evil he says. Popped a few Percs when I got home and iced her up and feel much better!

I plan on going back to work at 6 weeks, we'll see how that goes. I feel good energy-wise, we'll just see how the knee likes it. It's desk work, and I can easily walk around any time I want, so hopefully it will work out. If not, I'll cut to part time for a couple of weeks.
 
:thankyou:
Thank God I have found this forum...I have been & am still afraid...Just told last month that I need a knee replacment and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it...Pain will not stop in knee & hip...I'm sure that I'll be back to read more post...Thanks to all of you...

The first time i walked up the stairs without my crutch was AWSOME!!!!! The leg muscles ached, but OMG, NO PAIN in my knee joint. Dr. told my husband after the surgery that he didn't know how in the world i walked because my knee was totally shot...can't wait to get the other one done in February, so well worth the inconvenience and discomfort!!
 
Kel, don't make the same mistake I made. This go around I thought like you and felt since I knew the process, I could be a little more active - big mistake. It took me 4 days to calm my VERY angry knee - and all I had done was move a little more at home, try not to sleep so much, etc. just like you said. That day - day 1/2 I felt like superwoman, the next 4 I just felt like ****. I believe that you won't sleep so much, etc at the point you don't need to. So like your knee, listen to the rest of your body next time as well.
Let us know if you do start aquatic therapy. I've already sort of brought up the subject to my OS and it'll be something we discuss when I'm done with home PT.
Sounds like you're doing great. I went back to work at 4 1/2 - 5 weeks and the hardest was having the energy to finish out the day. My knee I could deal with - icing and elevating while there, but I would just hit the wall energy-wise and would be all I could do to drive home without falling asleep.
 
Kel, don't make the same mistake I made. This go around I thought like you and felt since I knew the process, I could be a little more active - big mistake. It took me 4 days to calm my VERY angry knee - and all I had done was move a little more at home, try not to sleep so much, etc. just like you said. That day - day 1/2 I felt like superwoman, the next 4 I just felt like mess. I believe that you won't sleep so much, etc at the point you don't need to. So like your knee, listen to the rest of your body next time as well.
Let us know if you do start aquatic therapy. I've already sort of brought up the subject to my OS and it'll be something we discuss when I'm done with home PT.
Sounds like you're doing great. I went back to work at 4 1/2 - 5 weeks and the hardest was having the energy to finish out the day. My knee I could deal with - icing and elevating while there, but I would just hit the wall energy-wise and would be all I could do to drive home without falling asleep.

Thanks you for the advise!! I've been down lately with a bad case of some type of intestinal bug. Ick!! Tomorrow will be my first day of work (6 weeks), I put in for starting part time. I think it's going to take longer to get into a work-friendly routine than anything. A couple of months ago I bought Apple TV, and I'm afraid I've gotten into the habit of waking up around 1:30 am and turning on the tv and watching TV until around 4:00 and then sleeping until around 10:00/11:00. BAD ME!! It's not because of pain, but just because I COULD, because I didn't have to worry about getting up early or anything.

Knee is doing fantastic. No more what I'd call "Pain". I can only honestly categorize it as discomfort at times....I'm sure that will change once I start work. I think I'll work from about 10:00-2:00, pop a Perc (if necessary), take a nap, and then start normal "homey" routine stuff. We'll see how the energy drain thing goes....I've been getting out of the house more & more, and my husband told me that he can almost not even detect a limp any more. I can't be more pleased. Went to get my hair done last Friday and had to walk up two flights of stairs to my hair stylists station, and it was amazingly easy.

I'll be scheduling my next knee replacement this week for February...I can't wait for a year from now and the freedom it's going to allow. I'm really hoping that the healing of my first knee is an indication of how well the 2nd knee will go (finger's crossed) At least now there will be no mystery of what to expect, and I'm not 1/2 as scared as I was the first time.
 
[Bonesmart.org] So THIS is what the "Other Side" feels like!!
Great report, Kel! And with two done, you'll be set for the rest of your life with knees that will take you anywhere you want to go! You're an inspiration to those awaiting TKR and those who are just starting recovery. Keep up the good work. Take care, keep us posted. We care.
 
Really interesting to read your posts Kel. I had my first TKR October 13th and when I went for my six week check my OS said he could do my right knee in Febreuary. I said No Thanks. I just couldnt deal with it so soon. So I will be watching with interest your recovery in February and will probably end up thinking "Why didnt I just go for it". TThe knee is quite good at the moment but I know it will need doing at some point.
 
Hey Kelly. Glad to see you're doing so well. It sounds like you have a sensible plan for getting back to work. I hadn't thought about getting up and watching TV in the night . Sometimes I wake up and read for a few hours just because I sometimes get a little restless and twitchy. I don't know bout aquatic therapy but I went to the pool today and kicked around swimming pseudo laps and it felt good. My knee feels stretched out and exercised. Good luck at work tomorrow.
 
Wow, it is so helpful for me to read posts like yours!

4 weeks from today will be my first TKR, and then I'll be scheduled for #2 six to eight weeks later. It sounds like you are almost ready to do the next one already! I sure hope I have a smooth recovery, too! I can't tell you how much it helps me to read about your great outcome! It really gives me hope that 2013 truly will be a great year for me! No more painful knees!! Thanks, and Happy New Year to you!
 
Well, it'll be seven weeks tomorrow!! Just a short update! I went to work last week, and got sent home, because I didn't have a release from my doctor (who was on vacation), so was forced to take another week off. Not that I MINDED, I have to admit, I've gotten used to not working :) but I need to save my leave for my next surgery, so it was really frustrating!!

Went to therapy today and have ROM of 130 degrees, i'm missing about 2 degrees for full straight extension, YAY!! Can't wait to see OS tomorrow, I'm hoping he's going to be pleased with my recovery. I'm REALLY hoping I can get him to prescribe me some vitamin E Oil, that stuff is EXPENSIVE!!!! I know in the civilian sector that probably wouldn't happen, but since I'll be at the military hospital, sometimes they'll prescribe/give you what's typically over-the-counter.

I got my surgery date for my right knee today, February 11th. I'm ready to get it done, and move on with my life!! I'm afraid my biggest issue is going back to work full-time once it's all said and done. I'm afraid I've become quite fond of being a woman of leisure!!

I'm still taking pain meds off & on. I try to differentiate between pain and discomfort...if it's just discomfort, I'll hold off for bedtime. I've also found that Ambien works just as well (for me), as it helps me sleep through the night. My dr. said it's okay if I take 1 percocet and an ambien, vs two percocet, so that has helped me ween down from the pain pills some. I also take a Perc about an hour before PT, it helps keep any excessive therapy (which I really haven't felt anything has been that bad) on the uncomfortable side, vs the painful side. They always ice me afterwards, then I go home and take another Perc (prescription says take one OR two), take a nap, and wake up refreshed and feeling pretty darn good.

So far, I think the most beneficial exercise for me for ROM has been wall slides. (For those unfamiliar with this, you scooch your butt towards the wall and put your feet on the wall, and slowly slide them down (therefore bending your knee), and then slide them back up again.) I will try to match my "good knee", and then move down a little more until it borders pain, then I'll stop. I've never pushed myself over that threshold, and I found each day the ability to get my foot down a little lower. Anyway, thought I'd just share which exercise I think has helped me the most.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom