Guest viewing is limited

TKR So THIS is what the "Other Side" feels like!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to see you on this side, Kelly. You sound like you are doing fine, but hope you get your thigh swelling sorted. Can't believe that nurse telling you you were sleeping too much :yikes:
 
Glad to see you on this side! The swelling in your thigh could be from where they put the tourniquet. Keep up the good work!
 
Kelly, glad to hear from you! My whole leg was swelled horribly for several days after I came home. I elevated and iced a lot and it got better pretty quickly. Glad you are doing well. Now on to recovery.
 
Kelly,
You are doing great, congrats. I know you can get around without a cane, but if your husbands "helping hand" keeps it up you might be advised to keep a cane handy to protect yourself.
 
YAAAAAAYYY Kel!!! So glad you're home and doing well!! Yes, that thigh swelling is typical. The tourniquet can cause some real tissue trama. I was lucky I didn't have any noticeable swelling, but man, was my thigh sore, sore, sore!! I also could not lift my leg for a good 10 days for love or money. By week two, I was doing much, much better. Could lift my leg. I was walking correctly at day three of surgery..heel and roll off toes with leg extended for each step..proper gait. Surprised the PT!!
You are going fabulous!!!! Just follow the mantra, and you will have a great recovery Kel!!!!

GO KELLY!!!!!
 
Just thinking about you tonight. Hope you've had a good day. PLease let us hear from you so we know how you're doing.
 
Well, had my first PT the other day. I really like my Therapist, but he's really SNEAKY!!! :umm: He gives me these excercies (such as "climbing down the wall" to bend my knee", and tells me, just do it, until you feel uncomfortable. To ME, uncomfortable means "pain", so I'm moving my leg further & further down (increasing the bend), and he's cheering me on, and then I realize "OWWWWWWWWWWW". Now, mind you, he didn't push me at all, he was just my "cheerleader", but that encouragement made me push myself a little further. I have to really watch that I don't push myself too hard. All & all, it was a pretty pleasing experience, him and I clicked pretty well. I'm still having a heck of time getting into & out of the car. They really don't need to worry about me driving before my time!

I've actually been sleeping pretty well, though I'm getting in the habit of waking up around 3:30 am and turning on the TV and watching something for a couple of hours before going back to sleep...I try to make my way downstairs at least once day and sit in the recliner. I'm downstairs now waiting for Hubby to return with prescription, then "supervise" the decoration of the Christmas tree.....hubby did a really good job picking out a pretty fluffy aromic tree, smells wonderful!!! I don't know what I'm going to do with him going back to work next week. I don't really "need" him here, it's just been nice to have him around for company.
 
Kelly it looks like you're doing really well! You are right about not pushing yourself too hard, sometimes I think we are our worse enemy. I'm glad your PT guy is a good one that will go a long way in your recovery.:thumb:

I know what you mean about hubby being home, they are great company and you can rely on them if something should happen. After TKR we stay a little nervous in our ability to stay a lone for a while, it just comes with the package. I don't know how the ones who live alone do it, they must be very strong and secure in their ability to be a lone, however it must be scary for them as well.

Stay well and stay positive my friend!:friends:
 
Thanks Jacky!! Yeah, just having him around adds a lot of "security". Today is the first day I ventured down the stairs without him being home, and all I could think was "what if I take a tumble?".

He's such a good sport about everything. We basically set up the bedroom as "my" room before surgery....he's been sleeping in the spare bedroom, I'm afraid he'll accidentally kick me in my sleep, and with my weird sleep schedule, he'd never get any rest before he gets back to work.
 
Hi Kelly...

So good to hear how you're doing! Sounds like you are doing well! Sure have been thinking about you. I'm hoping you can answer a couple of questions for me....

Did you go right home after the surgery or did you go to a rehab facility? Just trying to decide what to do....My doctor said if I went home, I'd need to have my husband with me for 2 full weeks. Since I have to have to go through this again in a few weeks, that would be his entire vacation for the year! Debating whether or not I should go somewhere for a few days to save his vacation days!

I'm so glad to hear you are sleeping pretty good. I'm guessing, then, that the pain isn't too bad? Pain meds are working for you?

Please take it easy, and post once in a while. Those of us anxiously awaiting our "special days" love to hear how you are doing! Thanks!
 
Dewey, my personal opinion as to if you should go to rehab or home after your first TKR is to go to rehab for at least 7 day if you can, because you are going to go through it again in 6 weeks. And at the second replacement I would do rehab again, if you can. Reasons are as follows; 1) you will be pretty much out of it for the first week or so, 2) hubby will have his hands full when you do get home for a while, 3) when you are 5 or 6 months out from both knees done you both will want a vacation and this way hubby will have some vacation time left to spend some really happy time with you. Just my take on it.

Why can't you have them done at the same time? That would be ideal! Dewey
 
Hi Dewey, Thanks for the thoughts!! I went straight home after being discharged....but to be perfectly honest, depending on your personal attachment to "home", I'd seriously consider rehab as an option. There are two reasons for this way of thinking for me....#1, a lot of time, I feel like I'm "putting my spouse out", I'm pretty independent, and hate asking little things for me. I know he loves me, and would do anything in the world for me, but sometimes I hear/sense a bit of impatience from him....not that he'd ever dream of hurting my feelings by purposely showing impatience.

#2, and this is complete honesty on my part....I'm LAZY!!! I've been given exercises to do, I know I need to do them, and I know that it is in my best interest to do as I've been instructed. BUT, unless someone is breathing down my neck, I may let a session slide ("oh, maybe I'll do it twice tomorrow!"). If I were in rehab, they wouldn't let things "slide". I could tell my husband to MAKE me do these exercises, but he doesn't like to see me in pain (yeah, PT does "hurt", not horrible, writhe around in pain, hurt, but hubby doesn't like to see me in pain at all. He would be more apt to bring me bonbons to bed, than push me to do exercises.)

Unfortunately, I didn't have the option of rehab, otherwise I would have gone that route all the way....but all I have at home is an independent 19 year old son, and my husband, so I wouldn't worry about anything going wrong at home.

Now, what my husband did, was took leave the day OF the surgery, and then, he picked me up after work the day I was released (of course visiting after work too) which was on a Friday, and then he's taking only one week off....so if you add up the day of my surgery, up to the day he goes back to work after his week off, I'll be into my recovery for 13 days. I really, really don't think he'd need to take another week off work after this one. My surgery was on a Tuesday, and I got released on Friday. I really feel comfortable enough now that he could go to work and I'd be fine on my own. I personally, think your Dr. is just being cautious in saying your husband needs to take two total weeks off.

Now, this is all just MY opinion....I'd do the rehab facility thing the first time around, and if it doesn't feel like a good fit, you can always do it the other way the 2nd time around. If you end up using the rehab facility for both recoveries, think of the awesome vacation you guys can take once you are feeling back to par, after living with those bum knees for so long!

Again, this is all just my own, personal opinion.
 
Okay, I've been a "good girl" sleeping on my back, leg elevated (toes above nose) and iced during the night. I have always been a side sleeper....is there any alternative to this position that will not harm the healing processing? I've been wondering if I can elevate the leg from the side position, and sleep with my "good knee" non-elevated either in front of, or behind the elevated knee. Any suggestions or comments? (And no, recliner hasn't ebbed the urge at all!)
 
Kelly,

I don't think you harm the healing process by sleeping on your side, it is more that early on you just can't tolerate the way your knee feels. I sleep primarily on my left side but it was weeks before I felt comfortable on my side because the knee felt so clunky and mechanical. Anyway, here is how my nights went. I would start on my back with my leg up on the pillows, sleep for awhile like that, do one of many wakeups, grab two pillows off the stack, somehow, like a beached whale, struggle over onto my left side with the pillow between my legs and sleep that way for awhile, wake up, grab the pillows and put them back on the stack and get back on my back and put my leg up again, and repeat throughout the night. Now I am down to one pillow between my legs and I spend most of the night on my side.
 
I start with them up with ice and then when I wake up I take the ice off and remove the pillows and then I am free to flip flop about like a fish out of water until i find my comfy place. I find that sometimes it is easier if I put a small pillow between my knees but more comfy if I can just put one in front of the other so that the weight is not pushing on the knees. I think as long as you are comfortable, it will not be a problem.
 
Sounds like you're doing well, scrappy. Sometimes finding the line between pushing past your comfort zone and pushing to hard is tricky. As for being lazy, that's the other end of the trap. I think at this point as long as you're doing something every day you're ok. Especially if you have PT sessions during the week.
 
The following picture shows possible sleep positions--the ones on the left and right--other than on one's back.

[Bonesmart.org] So THIS is what the "Other Side" feels like!!


A pillow can be placed under the outside leg if that is more comfortable. A pillow can also be placed under the knees when sleeping on one's back which is more comfortable than the flat position and does not create enough bend to be a problem. (Ladies, I have tried to find a pic of a "hunk" depicting these sleeping positions, but alas no luck.)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom